• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
hey guys i recently picked up snake as a secondary and i have a question im hoping you can answer for me (im posting it here coz from wat ive found you dont seem to have a Q&A thread)

what is the best way to DI?
from the vids ive watched of good snake players, some of them do 'standard' DI (QCDI+aerial+fastfall etc.) but some of them airdodge>pull grenade>jump.

which way is better?

Underload

Lazy
Depends on the situation. If you're afraid of getting hit while coming back on stage or want to get some pressure on your opponent, you can airdodge -> jump -> grenade toss, in that order. Airdodging then pulling a grenade will probably get you killed. Personally, I do this trick a lot.

The standard is probably the best choice for survival, though, seeing how the grenade only hurts you while you're trying to DI a hit.

Savon

Smash Ace
Mk in general makes me upset. I feel so helpless whenever I fight Mk. Even in a tourny set I can't really cp. What can Snake abuse in the Mk MU?

napZzz

Smash Hero
is there a snake video thread w/ top level matches?
no, but this sounds like a good idea

seibrik vs. ally from some recent tourney just got put up, same with ally vs. anti and they're both good sets so I suggest you watch those.

Same with razer vs. mikehaze from the latest hobo

it's not just MK, in general snake's landing/recovery options are very exploitable, it still ****ing boggles my mind how he is considered the second best character when his weaknesses are so much easier to take advantage of than falco or diddy(or really half of A/B tier)I'd also say that he has to out-think his opponents on a much higher level than most of these characters because he really has no safe bread and butter tools, no marth fair, no falco lasers, diddy banana's, MK's...everything, it's all mixups, reads, and mindgames
noones ever gonna care or listen to us :/

Does anyone else here feel like they are terrible at fighting Meta Knights? Because I do... :(
Just as soon as I think I get a grasp on the matchup something new comes up and I have to keep working....~_~

hey guys i recently picked up snake as a secondary and i have a question im hoping you can answer for me (im posting it here coz from wat ive found you dont seem to have a Q&A thread)

what is the best way to DI?
from the vids ive watched of good snake players, some of them do 'standard' DI (QCDI+aerial+fastfall etc.) but some of them airdodge>pull grenade>jump.

which way is better?
I'm not very familiar with the whole item canceling thing....I think the fastest way is to just DI normally and use bair to momentum cancel

Mk in general makes me upset. I feel so helpless whenever I fight Mk. Even in a tourny set I can't really cp. What can Snake abuse in the Mk MU?
uh. Try to live as long as you can and aim for the lowest kill possible. Its the best thing we can do =/

Go Rainbow Cruise like me, and abuse killing MK at like 70%
I've become a firm believer in rainbow cruise lately, its slowly creeping its way up on all my "cp vs. these characters" list

SuSa

Banned via Administration
It's because Snake has stupid stage control/abuse tactics on RC. If you ever get a dthrow, it's usually on a small area. Our super ultra awesome new grab BS on MK (and I'm certain on other characters), tons of angles to bounce grenades off of..

Only issue is 2 walls for DDD, a walkoff for DDD, and the pendulam is bad for us if we need to recover, until the right side platforms pop into existance.

Savon

Smash Ace
I still can't pull of this grab abuse trick on MK. A video would be EXTREMELY helpful. I always have a much better understanding of something when I can get a visual of it, that way I know what I should be imitating.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I haven't learned it yet either, haven't tried

but cruise is really good if you know the stage....especially if you have quick reaction time and good DI...not good DI as in "you can live long" but good DI as in being able to hit certain parts of the stage and avoid ****

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I don't know what this grab abuse is about. I thought dthrow was enough abuse. I don't play on RC enough to feel comfortable. I know the stage transitions and what is where, but I haven't developed any sort of tactics or strats for the stage. I'm still getting used to it.

Also, what is "qq"?

SuSa

qq = cry q_q = T_T

Anyways.... I looooooooove RC, and abusing what napzz stated. <3 DI'ing towards certain parts to tech and such... such an amazing stage. :)

So amazing I'll take anyone there. Even M2K again!

∫unk

Smash Master
napzzz those sound awesome ill check them out on youtube now

and yeah i would definitely appreciate a "good players video thread" for studying

is there a hidden snake project where you gather other top player's tech/roll/dodge patterns in their entire tournament history (all forms; d-throw, getting hit, tripping, positioning, etc.)? i think there should be something like that as well.

SuSa

No because their patterns are dependant on the scenario and what's around them.

Reading people is easy stare at their controller changes on the person and can be easy unless they mash B/Y/X while pressing Left/Right so you think they're going a getup attack.

Anyways, Junk... does Oki even have an AiB?

∫unk

Smash Master
oki -
he used to i don't know if he still does

tech chase -
but of course you would just take note of it

it's just data collection, you draw conclusions based on the perceived pressure on the opponent.

i think the 3 strongest indicators are
• matchup
• position (characters and stage)
• percentage

on top of that any conditioning that has happened before, but that gets noted as well

im gonna practice the looking

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
My fellow manly Snake mains, I require your assistance.

I realize I never use Dair. But I don't really know when to use it effectively so I don't bother with it. But I need to learn so can someone give me some applications for this move?

Nicks

Smash Journeyman

I realize I never use Dair. But I don't really know when to use it effectively so I don't bother with it. But I need to learn so can someone give me some applications for this move?
use dair when tech chasing if you predict that they arent going to roll, it is also a viable option on someones shield if their shield is low.

i have a question regarding the omnigay.

when the MK on your team has port priority, does it matter if the sticky is on MK or the opponent to kill them? or if the sticky is on MK will it kill him even tho he has port priority?

I use D-air sometimes to DI. Other than that, it's a pretty decent ledge option and some other useless applications. I prefer n-air to be honest.

Darkshadow whatever I was too lazy to quote it since I was replying anyway said:
Also, what is "qq"?
Actually, it looks better if it's CAPS QQ

It means crying. I only knew of this when I played that Gunz game. Koreans are goooood.

:awesome: Yay for cool emotes! Still like :glare:

SuSa

I know that but this ness is wicked good at not getting grabbed!
Know Ness's range, don't fall for B-Reversed PK Fires, in fact. Don't get hit by PK fires.

Try to utilt any approach he does, or simply walk away a little bit and short toss a grenade.

If you grab him, keep pummeling - release into a ftilt. You can try to go for a regrap from ftilt1, but I wouldn't try that often.

Crouch. A lot. Makes you harder to hit, and your kill move this round should actually be dtilt. [You need utilt to protect your ***]

Anytime you can OoS utilt/dtilt, you should dair if the opponent is close enough. If your opponent likes to spotdodge in place, dair. If you can read your opponents roll - you can try for a dair. If your opponent is on the ledge and you read what they're going to do. You can try for a dair.

napZzz

Smash Hero
ness is gay, recover high and try not to get *****? Dair is snakes 2nd best DI option and its not that bad because it auto fastfalls for you, its not that much worse than fast falling yourself and using bair

I have no clue how to fight zss, her side b is annoying n ****

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I know this is probably a bit old, but Snake dtilt has become a very nice secondary kill option for me, because unlike utilt dtilt seems really good against someone who sits in their shield at high percents all the time, because ftilt poking can wear down his shield pretty well and then when you need it you can dtilt for a shield poke kill since they expect utilt all the time.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Thanks guys. And really the only time I ever found myself using Dair was against MKs when they tried to kill me off the top when I was recovering. I would usually position myself in that way that baits them into a Nado or Loop and punish FF Dair my way back to the stage. In that scenario I just like Nair better also.

Tech Chasing with Dair is risky to me but I may attempt it more. Gotta add some flair to that tech chasing game (smirk)

I saw Ally Dair off the ledge a LOT now that I think about. Guess ill just have to play around with it for a bit.

napZzz

Smash Hero
we should do some testing and try compiling a list of what we can dair out of shield on. Its something people dont think about enough and I feel like its more applicable than people might think

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Nair and dair are good when someone sits in shield at edge. Proceed to push them off and ****. I love dairing weakened shields. I try to break it, but I usually end up shield poking. Also, I still do that weird jumping back thing when trying to dair sometimes.

Limeee

Smash Champion
we can probably dair OoS on marths dancing blade

someone care to test?

:009:
P.S how the **** do you do dtilt without crouching? too lazy to search it up

Top Bottom