• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I played bizkit a few weeks ago on wifi, he beat me like 80% of the time XD he's definitely great IMO

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
So I've come to the conclusion that I play with too many of snake's tricks. So Imma let him sit a lil, play with samus, and hopefully when I get back to snake, I will stop trying to be too fancy. I need for pivot grabs, tilts, and not getting juggled, haha.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Pivot grabs are too sexy. I should really use them more. I focus too much on b-reversals and not enough on shielding, dodging, sidestepping... aka not getting hit. I think I take Snake's weight for granted haha.

Pivot grabs are too sexy. I should really use them more. I focus too much on b-reversals and not enough on shielding, dodging, sidestepping... aka not getting hit. I think I take Snake's weight for granted haha.
I mix up backwards rolls with Pivot Grabs. Typically, whenever someone gets behind me unexpectedly I Boost Pivot Grab away to reset my spacing. Mostly that is if I am taking the defence approach. If I decide to go on the offence I keep my distance with rolls backwards, dashing shields, walking jabs/ftilt. Occasionally Boost Pivot Grabbing as well if they are normally roll happy.

Yeah, focus on his camping and spacing and pivot grabs. It'll make you better. :) Btw do you shield grabs and do nade to shield grab?
I shieldgrab way more often.Mostly because of the fact that I prefer to space my opponents when I am up close rather than use a grenades. But really, it depends on what they do if I decide to chuck'n'strip, light toss in front of me to create a wall, nadegrabbing or rolling/dodging.

Overall, my style of play with snake is space, space, space. Limited camping action, and pretty much an overall spread of his methods by mixing it up. I have actually been cussed out by a few people because I play too defensively. Since they could not complain about spamming, they resorted to the idea that it is obnoxious defence. That was too lol.

Underload

Lazy
I'm pretty sure Ally namesearched and ended up here, but I may be wrong.

Bizkit and Anti definitely deserve spots on a list, but I haven't seen Anti use Snake in a while. And does Chops still play Brawl? His Snake was really, really good back when I watched a lot of Florida live streams / videos.

There's Erow in NorCal (currently #3, I think?), I was kinda impressed when I watched him play. DSF's starting to use Snake again, I saw some recent videos yesterday and they were amazing to say the least. Still staying in SoCal, Mojoe, Hall, and JonT (much to SuSa's chagrin) are pretty good Snakes. I suppose you can put SuSa up there, too. He's really good, just kinda buried in the pile of Smash players known as SoCal :/

And I swear there's one more guy I'm forgetting in SoCal.

edit: Also, SamuraiPanda.

-Ran

Smash Master
If I gain mod powers, I intend to change the first post to have the rankings of Snake players that post based off how they are power ranked in their states/regions.

napZzz

Smash Hero
So I've come to the conclusion that I play with too many of snake's tricks. So Imma let him sit a lil, play with samus, and hopefully when I get back to snake, I will stop trying to be too fancy. I need for pivot grabs, tilts, and not getting juggled, haha.
tricks win matches biotch!

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
yeah pivot grabbing is good, I like doing jab -> pivot grab even though jab -> grab is the exact same thing and faster, but i guess pivot grabbing is a bit safer lol.

And to avoid getting juggled sometimes FF airdodge works wonders, esp if you get under your opponent giving you an opportunity to u-tilt. But still mix up your recovery, I know Snake's aerials got mad landing lag but sometimes you have to use them, I just air dodge land against Bizkit and I got ***** on landing.

Yeah, focus on his camping and spacing and pivot grabs. It'll make you better. :) Btw do you shield grabs and do nade to shield grab?
I prefer nade -> grab/shield grab, I love having a nade in my hand, theres some good options to go from their, if they expect a grenade grab I can try to instant Nair oos and ****, if I miss the grenade will cover my lag.

NNID
LilG912
yeah pivot grabbing is good, I like doing jab -> pivot grab even though jab -> grab is the exact same thing and faster, but i guess pivot grabbing is a bit safer lol.

And to avoid getting juggled sometimes FF airdodge works wonders, esp if you get under your opponent giving you an opportunity to u-tilt. But still mix up your recovery, I know Snake's aerials got mad landing lag but sometimes you have to use them, I just air dodge land against Bizkit and I got ***** on landing.

I prefer nade -> grab/shield grab, I love having a nade in my hand, theres some good options to go from their, if they expect a grenade grab I can try to instant Nair oos and ****, if I miss the grenade will cover my lag.
My Snake can be campy or aggressive depending on match-up. Every Snake should know to do Nade > OOS for their spacing.

Same here, Yumewomiteru, it's too gud. :)

Today is so slow. AIM and SWF is pretty much dead. I cannot wait for the weekend.

Umm.... How to counter act edge camping as Snake Topic/

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Meh, still 10x better than the Falco board, I think the Bird flu killed off everyone there. =/

Lol who would edge camp Snake? put a mine or c4 near the ledge. lob some nades and stop it right at the ledge, or send a nikita at them. I dont think its a problem at all for Snake, Snake lives off making it hard for ppl to get on from the ledge.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Lol who would edge camp Snake? put a mine or c4 near the ledge. lob some nades and stop it right at the ledge, or send a nikita at them. I dont think its a problem at all for Snake, Snake lives off making it hard for ppl to get on from the ledge.
the mine does...what?

the C4 doesn't telegraph itself by 5 seconds while he yells it like a DBZ character or anything... and he totally doesn't have to expose himself to place it either

grenades and nikita are useful though

etecoon

Smash Hero
that sounds more like "if I do X enough they'll eventually make a mistake while I'm doing it", which may be true, but the risk/reward isn't necessarily in your favor(depending on who you're playing, some people just run into the explosions and its very nice)

I'm typing up a generic tactical guide. I finished the intro, and almost section one of 6. It's 2 microsoft pages long already using SWF font notation x.x I hope this doesn't take forever to type.

I wonder what's havok doing now... By the way when a projectile exactly hit my cypher, nothing happened to me, wow, but I wonder if I can recover again after that.

Preview

1) Intro - Brawl is made up of a few solidly defined sections. When you first start a match you and your opponent are at a distance. When this happens you only have a few options available to you. The whole battle is a blend of these ever changing sections. You transitions from spacing someone to edge guarding them as soon as you hit them offstage. The whole time every section has its best fit choice of options.

However, have you ever found it difficult knowing which option you should use? Everything happens so quickly, and you have to factor in a variety of factors. Who you are playing? What are your positions in relation to each other? What is your opponent’s playing style? What percents are you at? The list just goes on. The problem is that you can never really know what is the best option is because everything in brawl has some counter to it. The best you can do is learning the tools you have for dealing with any situation and mix-up those tools for dealing with the scenario.

You might be asking yourself, “How do I go about realizing what my tools are?” First, you can start by recognizing the various sections that you play in all the time. When you realize the position that you are in, you can judge what is effective or not effective to try.

I have mapped out the sections of Brawl into these core areas: Closing the Gap, Close quarters, Edge guarding, Recovering, and Juggling.

All of these areas can transitions into one other at anytime. At one moment you might be edge guarding your opponent and the next you get hit by an attack causing you to get juggled. And at many times some will overlap, you might be recovering back to the stage as kirby, but engage in close quarters with another jigglypuff in the air.

Closing the Gap
-Every match begins this way. You and your opponent start on opposite sides of the stage with sizeable distance between the two of you. Anytime you have distance between you and your opponent, you and your opponent have the intent to get closer to each other. The reason is that the majority of your moves only work in close range. So you want to get closer to each other. This part of Brawl is typically the safest. The only times you are endanger in this area are against projectiles.

-Now, the only option 2 available to you in this situation is to either approach, or camp. Against contrary believe, camping does not always involve the use of projectiles. Camping is merely staying in the same general area. The usage of projectiles is a mode of extending the range of your character. This is important to know because it means any character can camp in brawl.

-The problem is that every character simply has different ranges for their attacks. Some ranges trump others. Falco has excellent range due to his lasers going across the whole stage. DDD’s projectile cannot go nearly as far as Falco’s can so at the right distance Falco will out camp DDD. However, at closer range, DDD out camps Falco with his better range with moves like grabs and Ftilt. While a character may not always be able to out camp all options a person has at the proper ranges, a character can shut down many options through by sticking to ranges they excel over the opposition causing the opponent to act in a way you can expect. This method is very true for a character like Marth. Marth is unable to camp people at a distance, however, he can outcamp people at close range.

-What might you do when you are forced to approach? If your character is not like Marth who can camp people in close range, or camp people at a distance like Falco, you are the one that will have to make the first move. The option available to you in this situation is baiting or tying to approach in a safe method. Baiting is an impractical process as it relies upon your opponent to make a decision that places them in a position that you can punish there action. There are many different ways to bait someone, but they all depend upon who you are facing and the character you are using. Your ingenuity will play a part in how you end up baiting people. For example, walk/dash towards your opponent and just sort of stand there outside their range can act as a form of baiting. It can cause your opponent to feel like they want to try to get closer to you. Thus, they enter your range, and you can punish them by blocking their attempt and retaliating. Another simply solution is going in and then out of range. It can give the opponent the feel that you are in there range that they can attack, only to miss and you can punish them.

-Approaching is another thing that is dependent upon your opponent, and yourself. In most cases, approaching is trying to attack your opponent from an angle they cannot easily defend against. Or, it can simply be trying to get around your opponent to attack their flank which can be done through a number of methods. Many people cannot beat Marth’s Fair approach, meaning they have to shield, roll, or dodge the attack. Marth can abuse this by Fairing past them and therefore landing on their flank in a position to attack with something. Running up and PSing or spotdoding, are all methods of approaching by attempting to defend, then attack.

By Xeylode

This is short a preview to what I'm typing. What do you think?

Top Bottom