• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

Luxor

Smash Champion
Back with findings. The first and last hits are easily SDI'ed, but the stuff in the middle is weird. I think it has something to do with how the hitboxes refresh themself every 5 frames to hit you up, but you fall down when you're not getting hit, compounded by the fact that the hitlag seems to be minimal. I tried most of this on the grounded nado; against the aerial nado it seemed easier to get up and DJ out.
tl;dr Nado is weird.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
My quick question: What are the conditions that need to be met to refract projectiles off of your shield? Is it just a certain frame, or certain projectiles only? I never heard much about this occurrence, even though it's not particularly rare, so I'm just pretty curious about it on the whole.

Someone care to fill me in?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Mach Tornado is definitely SDIable. Jigglypuff players have a long running trick of SDIing up and then using Rest. It's just that you generally can't SDI very far is all.

Some multi-hit moves that hit very fast generally have problems with you trying to SDI out. An obvious example is Kirby's rapid jab against a wall. Situations can arise wherein you simply cannot SDI out. Even in frame by frame, you just don't SDI far enough to combat being pushed into the wall by the jabs.

So I was thinking then, is SDI-ability a function of damage, knockback, and hitstun? It would make sense, seeing as relatively large SDI teleports are seen with powerful attacks. Is there some kind of formula for this, maybe quantifying SDI-ability in 1/20th stage block units?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Not a function of KB IIRC. Infact it's only a function of hitlag (which is derived from damage).

Well gosh at least I was on the right track.:mad:

Also, should I take the time to write out a term definition for "airwalking"? That is, when a character goes offstage just barely, so that they can drift back onto the stage. I think it would be a good writeup.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Somehow I lost the file for the custom stage with the measurement grid texture. Can someone link me to it again? -____- SWF's search function is ***.

Nevermind, found it.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm probably going to use AIM to contact some of the more experienced members here regarding how to tally advantage on "aura" modifiers.

Luxor

Smash Champion
When you're doing frame advantage, is the frame advantage their FAF - your FAF (time between actions) or their FAF - your FAF -1 (the number of "free" frames you really have)?

Luxor

Smash Champion
Also, it's commonly said that can can't buffer Uair out of a short hop. It seems that you can if you soft tilt the stick up- there's a range where you'll get Nair, and a range where you'll get Usmash, but in between- you get Uair. Is this actually "buffered" or am I seeing things?

Veril

Frame Savant
When you're doing frame advantage, is the frame advantage their FAF - your FAF (time between actions) or their FAF - your FAF -1 (the number of "free" frames you really have)?
Defender FAF - Attacker FAF

You can buffer upair, its just tricky with tapjump on.

does anyone mind a long but relatively boring dissertation on aura when I get around to it?
Do it <3

Luxor

Smash Champion
I have too many questions >.<

I'm having trouble understanding how frames fit into the the precharge->postcharge in smash attacks. I can get the precharge duration from BBox and the postcharge from PSA, but it seems like adding the precharge duration to the first hitframe of the attack gives you an answer one frame slow. To get the first "overall" hitframe, do you take precharge duration + first postcharge hitframe - 1? That would make sense if the last frame of precharge is the input frame/frame 0 of the postcharge.

Veril

Frame Savant
The first part of the special offensive collision flag is unique to MK's nado and the strong aerial hit of Bowser's downb, possibly it occurs on a few other moves but its rare and tbh I don't know what makes the nado unSDIable.

Help me figure it out?

To get the first "overall" hitframe, do you take precharge duration + first postcharge hitframe - 1? That would make sense if the last frame of precharge is the input frame/frame 0 of the postcharge.
(Precharge duration - 1)+postcharge hitframe= actual earliest hitframe

that's what I would use

ex. Lucas f-smash precharge duration is 8 and postcharge hits frame 7, but its actual Hit1 is frame 14

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
rPSI, you stated somewhere that hitstun is character dependent (meaning, when Character A uses an attack on Character B, it will deal X amount of hitstun, while when Character A uses that same attack on Character C, it will deal a different amount of hitstun). How sure are you that this is true? I know that hitstun is dependent on the percentage of the opponent and the staleness of the attack, but I am pretty sure that what character is being attacked does not affect it.

Am I wrong?

Veril

Frame Savant
You are wrong ;p

sorta

bkb induced hitstun is the same for all characters at all % (bkb*.4 frames)

Hitstun (kbg/dmg/∂kb/%) DOES vary based on a character's weight value. IE, the rate of hitstun growth is character weight dependent. I have experimentally confirmed this more times than I care to list as have many other researchers. Keep in mind some characters have the same weight (Pikachu and MK for example).

staleness only matters in that it reduces damage, which in turn will lower the hitstun growth rate.

Worth noting is that tumble % and hitstun are closely related, and that weight is the determining factor in when a move induces tumble. This is part of why DDD's infinites work on some characters and not others (the other component being character hurtbox size iirc).

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Sooo, I downloaded the STGEDIT_1 .pac file.... now where do I put it on my SD card? And what stage does it replace?

Hacks really aren't my thing. :urg:

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the file was for the stage with measuring blocks on it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hmm, do you think I shoudl make charts for Melee and maybe even 64 characters as well?

It would be interesteing to compare the damage output of characters through the games...

that is, if there is even frame data for melee and 64 <.<

Yikarur

Smash Master
there is, but it's absolute unnecessary for us (imo) but of course you can do it if you want =D but I think it's hard to find complete frame data of both. (I saw complete SSB64 frame data somewhere, but not much melee)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm actually really interested in this too..... I've played around with pokes, but mainly from a gameplay perspective, not a research/technical one.

Imo, shield poking has a ton of use in some matchups...... including vs. MK. :p Definitely worth looking into, and if someone wants to head a project on it, I'd definitely be up for joining.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I would, but I'm usually pretty busy. I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to put enough time into it, which is why I offered to help with but not lead anything. :(

Veril

Frame Savant
Lol, Yoshi's shield really is fail. At least he has a good spotdodge...
Actually almost every spotdodge is identical in psa in regards to inv and FAF: inv 2-20, iasa 26. Yoshi has that spotdodge. Marth is the only one I noted as being flat out superior (iasa 25)

Top Bottom