• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Although this is the Smash Lab, I'm sure there are a tons of little things that some of us don't know, and since we have some of the most knowledgeable people on Brawl's mechanics in here, getting answers should be quick and easy.

I'll start it off, I would test this, but can't right now.

I was under the impression for a very long time that all jumps took 7 frames. Someone later told me that some characters had 5 frame jumps, though. Whats the deal with this? Was I initially misinformed?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Each jump has a different amount of start-up. Some are long, like Snakes, and some are shorter, like Diddy's. I believe that Veril has an accurate list of Jumpsquat timing somewhere in here.

Edit: It seems it's going to be released soon on a spreadsheet via Google docs.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
haha thanks guys, wow I don't know why I just accepted that "all jumps are 7 frames" theory for so long... i wonder who it was that told me that, lol.

There's a similar YouTube video showcasing Yoshi's eggroll pretty much OHKOing a Jigglypuff on Frigate. I'll try and dig up the link.

Edit: okay, here it is-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swdyXcqy_6M

My current theory is something obvious: unnatural rotation of the hitbox causes an extreme increase in damage, knockback, and hitstun. As you can see in the video, Jigglypuff went from ~90% to ~200% in one hit from Yoshi's eggroll, and suffered intense hitstun, comparable perhaps to that of a Thunderkick. Strangely, you could also see an aftermark where the egg presumabely made contact. I'm no Yoshi main or expert, but I think eggroll deals about 6% per hit, no? In any case, it does not deal even one fifth of what that glitch did, of that much I'm confident.

For any of you curious, here is AA's thread on the mechanics behind Frigate's spinning; further research on it and attempts at recreating Yoshi's "stun egg" and Wario's "stun bike" could yield some interesting results and shed light on an unexplored piece of Brawl's physics.

The Cape

Smash Master
Yoshi sideB increases in damage by momentum. It has a natural cap, but Orpheon speeds him up to obscene levels so it does insane damage.

We tested it out :)

So then what could have caused Wario's bike to flip out like that? It wasn't rotating at any noteworthy speed, so I just assumed any rotation would bug it up. Maybe stores momentum until it makes contact with another hit/hurtbox, and then it kicks in?...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Nobody knew about this before? Also, it doesn't need rotation either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyf219KbfQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWclKCvE00&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ib6mkJV1ZI&feature=related

imo it probably has something to do with any special that involves an "inertia" factor, because that generally resets the hitbox in a way that can sometimes be affected by terrain imo. That stun that the attacks perform is like in the cinematic category (dunno whether it's false or true cinematic hitstun). Probably something shared with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swdyXcqy_6M

edit: someone already said the Yoshi glitch, fml

and the glitches involving Sonic's SideB (there's one where he teleports, but I can't find it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOpmDb5UnZo&feature=related

and there's other similar glitches involving the bike too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOpmDb5UnZo#t=7m01s

Well, I'm not so much interested in the huge jumps Wario gets with his bike, I'm looking at the huge damage and/or hitstun.

The huge jumps seem to happen when Wario bikes onto an incline then gets hit. In the second one, he gets DSmashed by MK when he reaches the tiny slope on PS's right side, and in the third video, Charizard manages to hit him with Rock Smash while he is going up the stairs. So I'm guessing that a super jump happens because of some freak mix-up between Wario's angle of ascent and knockback from a strong enough attack. I can look into this today.

As for the damage, hitstun, and knockback, now I'm thinking that it has to do with Wario's bike switching platforms. In the first video, he is being lifted onto the bush platform when the glitch happens, and seeing as in Masky's video he is rotating, half of the bike is going off and onto the platform.

Just another theory.

EDIT: So I recreated Masky's Bike glitch a couple of times, with varying effects.

• Right-side up Super Jump: After Wario's bike does a full rotation, he will sometimes rocket straight up.
  • Re-rotation: Sometimes, after Wario's bike finishes rotating in the direction he was originally moving, his bike will then begin to rotate the other way.
  • Up-side down Super Jump: Sometimes, after Wario finishes his re-rotation, he will do a Super Jump up-side down.
  • Drop: After Wario finishes any rotation, he will occasionally simply land on the platform as if from landing from the air.

The last one supports my previous assumption though, that it could be caused by the bike going from a surface onto a platform. I'm also going to assume then that the increase in damage, etc., is linked to the jump, or upward momentum, and not horizontal momentum. This is because I tested with the custom stage glitch that causes Wario to shoot across the stage. I did this, and it still caused the same amount of damage as normally, 4-5%

Uh, just a quick question about something interesting I noticed today.

I was playing around with Samus's ledge shenanigans, like cancelling the roll you get from laying a bomb. Well anyhow, I went to teeter on the lip of BF, and wanted to lay a bomb by tilting the stick down. Then Samus starts spazzing out, in what looks like a 2 frame random sequence aternating between her teetering animation and her walking animation. When I tried to recreate it, the intersting thing happened. We all know that dashes have different speeds, so at a certain speed you can run in place on the edge without falling. Well, as far as I knew, walks could NOT do that, and you would just end up going of the edge. Apparently though, Samus can do her third walk speed(just... an average walking pace) in place on the edge without falling. However, the positioning of the control stick is very sensitive for that to happen. So far I've generalized it to tilting the stick somewhere in the vicinity of the second indent to the right/left on the bottom, where once you go past it you stop crouching and start walking.

This isn't anything particularly groundbreaking, or even useful for that matter, but I just found it interesting, because I couldn't recreate the "twitching" from the first time, and because of, well, the walking.

I'm not sure if other characters can do it, I haven't tested it out yet.

Is this even widely known about?

Edit: tested this out some moar. It can be done with the control stick tilted in any direction that causes you to walk, not just downwards. However, it has to be very precise, because if you tilt too much you'll walk off, and if you don't tilt hard enough you won't do anything.

This can be done on any kind of ledge, as long as it can be fallen of from.

I recreated the "twitching". It has an even slighter tilt necessary.

This is actually just an "underabuse" of the game's walk off mechanics. The walking in place runs on the same principles as the running in place. So from this we can safely assume that your third walking speed has its own subtle speed differences.

The only attack you can safely do without stopping the walk/falling off is your forward tilt; if you try to do an UTilt/DTilt, you risk altering your speed.

I got a replay showing the walk in place and the stutter.

I'm off to test with more characters now! :D

Oh joy.

Edit 2: so far I've tested with a few more characters; namely, MK, Mario, Olimar, Sonic, and DK. I've been able to make some more assumptions based on my results.

But first off, I noticed I worded the walk speed badly. To get an idea of which speed exhibits ledgewalking, tilt the control stick until it is as far as it can get, i.e., you're moving as fast as you can without dashing. Now ease up on the pressure a bit until you enter the next animation in line. This is the animation for ledgewalking, the second to last animation before all out dashing.

Now, it seems that the game thinks that you are technically "half offstage" when executing some moves. I came to this conclusion because of tests I ran with specials and the C-Stick.

As MK, when I was ledgewalking, I could FTilt as usual. However, when I pressed down and forward on the C-Stick, I was under the assumption that I would DSmash or FSmash, as these are actions you can perform while walking. However, instead, MK did a FFDair and a NFFair, respectively. USmash was done normally. When I tested further, under normal circumstances, you would smash while keeping a small amount of walking momentum, but you would stop at an edge, and once the attack animation was over, enter your teetering animation. This, however, was obviously not the case with MK.

Afterwards, I tried using his Drill Rush; this caused MK to fall slightly and then do an aerial Rush.

Now, when I tried DSmashing with Sonic while I was edgewalking, he did his DSmash. However, this is most likely due to the fact that he moves back and forth considerably with his smash. When I input a FSmash, however, he did his Fair.

Now, with DK and Mario, I haven't tested smashes yet, but I chose these specifically for their significant glides they get from their forward specials. When you are simply teetering, you can perform a normal cape/headbutt, and if you do this while walking, you won't glide out much. But when I input either one of their specials, they get significant glides out of them.

I'm done testing for today, it's 1:30 am. @__@

Oh man I hope this all isn't in vain like my DJC hover thread.:urg:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Something I've been itching to ask since I first saw it. I came across it playing a yoshi in tournament, when I used an attack on his second jump, his armor frames (I know it's not super armor technically, but I can't remember the proper terminology for Yoshi's) kicked in, but he was so close to the edge and the sequence of taking the hits took so long that he actually was unable to grab the ledge and died from doing so. I'm sure this is inapplicable to other scenarios involving these frames, as examples such as Ike's Aether and Wario waft have a fixed window for their frames that aren't active once they get near the edge, but has this been known already?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Has anyone made a visual map of where, on a frame by frame basis, Diddy's Banana is when he throws it? Like I know how fast it takes him to throw the Banana, but I don't know how much time elapses while it travels forward. I don't expect it to be consistent throughout the entire path because it arcs down, but it would be nice to know.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I can test this myself, but I figured I'd just ask here anyways.

Lets say Character X's fsmash's hitbox comes out on frame 20. If said Fsmash was charged first, how many frames after releasing it would the smash come out? Is this time unique to each smash attack or is there a universal amount of time to start charging?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
That is unique to every Smash Attack. If you go in OSA2, you will be able go to into the actual subaction, and from the beginning the subaction in which the hitboxes are you, you will be able to find the timer.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I figured it was weird for smash to have radial hitboxes (hence hitbubbles being a better term) but I never thought that hurtboxes are actually still rectangular (my first reaction to Brawl's hitbox mapping when they started was "This is going to be a tad inaccurate with bubbles", but then learned the "hitbubbles" were in fact, circular :p)

cool stuff

and yes, I can say for a fact that it's unique, rPSI is right.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Ah ok, thanks for the answer. I'm not familiar with OSA2, what is that?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
OpenSA2. It's a program by Dantarion. Go read the thread about the Frame data repository.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
One of the Pikas asked me this, and I'm not really sure about it:

Why can't Wolf SDI very well?

In particular, he mentioned Wolf not being able to SDI out of Falco CG > spike shenanigans. I dunno anything about spacies, so I said I'd ask back here.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Either this question was unbearably stupid or nobody knows/cares to answer.

But uhhh, he's still interested and asked me about it again. :urg:

The Cape

Smash Master
Wolf has no less ability to SDI than anyone else, but his smaller body box may disrupt hitboxes in different ways. So my answer (as it usually is) is that he just cant be that good >.>

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Ah okay. That's what I thought (@Wolf being able to SDI just as well as anybody else), but I didn't wanna tell him unless I was 100% sure...... plus he swore he tested this stuff with Mr. Doom -- who's apparently amazing at SDI? I dunno anything about him really -- so I thought maybe they saw something weird/new/unique/whatever.

Thanks Cape.

The Cape

Smash Master
Brawl has this odd (glitch?) thing that compounds smash DI in odd instances. You can see it randomly with computers even where they shoot about 4 body lengths away before they start to DI. I dont know exactly what causes it, but I assume its a compilation of those such instances (I checked his vids).

Some of the SDI is legit good, the rest is just this random bs thing.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Is tornado really SDI'able? Tornado doesn't look like it has any hitlag frames and you can only SDI in hitlag right? I always see people SDI like crazy when they're caught in tornado, but it never seems to do anything.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Why wouldn't it have hitlag? It's a move like most others. It probably has a lower number of frames of hitlag due to each hit being pretty weak. And it won't go down to less than 1 damage per hit, like Zelda U-smash.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Well, it doesn't give enough frames of hitlag to SDI. I'm doing this frame by frame and SDI is not doing anything at all. I'm only able to SDI the last hit, which does have hitlag.

Top Bottom