• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
anyone able to link or copy pasta me some of lucarios true combos..mainly looking for the sideb strings on characters but anything is good
I don't have any thread to point to, but basically, FP at low percents can go to: dash grab, dash attack, FP (although this can be mashed out), and depending on the character, SH fair/nair (you might have to dash for it at higher percents).

Oh yeah, and FP -> jab works too, although it's best on bigger characters.

For fair, you can do fair -> nair, fair -> fair (offstage is recommended), fair -> dair, and if you position yourself right, fair -> uair (I don't think this technically works, but since almost nobody can really challenge uair, falling uair usually works.

Uair traps are good, they may not be "combos", but they might as well be. uair -> dair/nair, or FF -> AS is usually good for busting all the optionst the opponent has.

AS charge, while DIable, actually has an enormously large amount of frame advantage (at least +10), you can do pretty much any aerial if you get the opponent caught in your charge (usually nair or dair are best).

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I have a quick technical question. I remember seeing once that you can perform lucario's dair without stopping in mid-air. How do you do that? I think it was called the air walk or something. I've seen a lucario do it in a match once too. Any help is appreciated :)

Note: this wasn't using dair after you get hit, this was intentionally jumping and doing a moving dair.
Have you ever heard about shield DI? When your shield is hit by an attack if you time it right you can OoS DAir Air Walk. Much easier with greater shield knockback, but with greater shield knockback you may not be guaranteed to land a hit.

This is applicable to a few MUs where you can turn an opponent's attempted kill move on their face. For example against Falco if you Shield DI correctly towards him... You can hit him with a DAir after he's whacked your shield with a USmash. A lot of punishing with this depends on your ability to shield DI.

You can also do this when you perfect shield something, but the timing is stricter.

Look here for tips on improving your Shield DI. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRZeUndPaX4

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271111 For more info on Air Walk go here.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
If any soul wants to risk recording an instructional vid on the tech that broke two computers and is cursed to not be on YouTube... Be my guest :D

Who can we bribe to try to record it?

Also, where do we go from here in the meta?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think Brinstar's actually pretty awesome for us, especially for trolling falco.

Rainbow cruise, not really, except for a couple of MUs

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah, I forgot, weak dash attack pretty much combos into utilt or turnaround grab (not pivot grab though), and uthrow combos into utilt (on everyone in low percents who's got as much "weight" as marth or heavier), uthrow is a CG up until 28-32% on C. Falcon, Wolf, Fox, Ganon, and one other iirc (although you have to make sure to buffer it on fox and wolf or they'll shine you), and on characters with bad fall speed and bad juggling options, you can do pivot AS, pivot fsmash (to cover an attack), or some of your ground moves at really low percents out of uthrow (usually jab or pivot FP are good options). Most of uthrow's utility loses its ability once the opponent starts to jump, or at higher percents, but usually forcing your opponent to use up their jump is actually something you can work in your favor :) (means they can't jump out of your landing traps unless they have multiple jumps)

uthrow is also sorta cool on snake, you can regrab him, but he can drop grenades, so after a while you can go for a pivot grab to "roast him" over the dropped grenades to finish it, or just throw him out if you're too close to his grenades and don't want to hit them with the hitbox uthrow sometimes hits with occasionally.

tekkie

Smash Master
what are the exact specifications for a wall cling to work? i upBed into yoshi's island from decently far away, hit my head and died, but usually that lets me wallcling and, you know, jump and not die

DUB

Smash Lord
Didn't want to bump the 5 month old thread since I don't ever come here. Just a quick Q. Lucario's strongest secondaries are considered to be:

Falco: Covers DDD/Snake/Fox (Also Oli/Diddy if you don't like) Probably considered the best Lucario secondary?

Fox: DDD/Snake (Don't know all of Fox's MU's.)

Pika: For same characters as above.

Feel free to correct any of this if I have MU's wrong. Just looking for opinions on who covers Lucario the best.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Depends who it is and how big of a lead it is.

A stock lead. Characters like Peach, Jigglypuff, Falco, etc.

They do their best not to damage me so I can't kill them... By the time I finally manage to get the stock off them they've wasted like 5 minutes, and take the lead back :(

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Peach? Jiggs? Really? Those are really Easy MUs imo.

At like 50~60%ish Fully charged Aura Spheres eat through most of what they can throw at us, so we can start camping a bit, even if we are behind. Make THEM work for that kill. Fake outs to get Peach in the air. Knowing your options in this MU especially will do wonders. Shield DI is somewhat important if a Peach tries to force that FAir kill.

I've ranted a lot about this MU in the past, so I'll move on.

Jiggs is annoying because smart ones will throw out air attacks right outside a quick SH Fair's hitbox. Don't let that trick you into going over aggressive, play patiently (unless if you are Trela). Also keep in mind of our UAir's range when Jiggs is forced to land.

Falco... If you're approaching him do not get hit by lasers if you're like within 1 1/2 fsmash ranges because of his followups. It sounds hard, but if you do not get hit by those lasers within that range you deny him of many valuable damage rackers

Also Air Walk is actually applicable against those three character's big kill moves :p

The best way to get back from a stock loss is to not have the stock loss.

Sorry if what I said doesn't make much sense, I just got back from werk.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
what are the exact specifications for a wall cling to work? i upBed into yoshi's island from decently far away, hit my head and died, but usually that lets me wallcling and, you know, jump and not die
If you have Brawlbox, you can see all the wall-clingable parts on a stage. I think Kita has a thread that has the parts of Yoshi's diagrammed for wall cling.

Didn't want to bump the 5 month old thread since I don't ever come here. Just a quick Q. Lucario's strongest secondaries are considered to be:

Falco: Covers DDD/Snake/Fox (Also Oli/Diddy if you don't like) Probably considered the best Lucario secondary?

Fox: DDD/Snake (Don't know all of Fox's MU's.)

Pika: For same characters as above.

Feel free to correct any of this if I have MU's wrong. Just looking for opinions on who covers Lucario the best.
These are all pretty good, I think some other players like Marth/Diddy as well.

Mean people are trying to time me out >.<

What do?
Don't lose the lead? If it's Peach/jiggs, the biggest way to let you live forever and outlast them is to not force the kill, because while these chars aren't good at killing, they are very good at punishing wasted kill moves. Against Jigglypuff, pretend your fsmash doesn't exist, except if they're on the ledge or something like that. Against Falco, it's all about how well you can keep him from safely/easily getting back onstage, and guessing his close fighting game.

idask

Smash Rookie
I heard that when lucardio gets hig on "%" you get higher base damage on your spells, is this true?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Has anyone here teamed w/ a ZSS? I'd assume Trela has done a couple of matches w/ Dakpo/Shlike or someone. She seems to take a lot of room to operate (I get hit a lot by paralyzer stuff or sideB by accident), has anyone done this team extensively to get out some pointers on what I could do to really help?

Dakpo

Smash Lord
not with us, i live about 13 hours away from trela....yea texas is THAT big -__-
I could give some advice on how to team with a zss though

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
How is that a gimmick? Anyway, what are lucario's air release options on wario

:phone:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
If we can FSmash doesn't that mean we can pretty much do anything? Ftilt may be better in some situations if you don't wanna stale FSmash for a kill.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Dear lucario's,

How the hell do I deal with marth?!

I recently played against a marth, and it felt like I couldn't pressure him. Like at all. His F-airs would beat out mine easy peasy and anytime I get any ground pressure going he'd dolphin slash out of it. (I eventually just started to do jab, jab, then blocking to punish it.) I had to go on the defense, but even then he was still getting in on me much easier then I could him. Everything he did on the ground just felt hard to punish.

So like is there any trick to dealing with marth im missing or is this just a flatout bad match up? I have an easier time dealing with snake and DDD then I do marth.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I confident enough to say that I know this match up.

First of all NEVER approach Marth in the air if he is not on the retreat from an attack you just hit him with. Luccario has to rely on his ground game in this match up. His sword will always beat out your fair. The only time I would approach, in the air, is if I though I could kill him with an up air. Keep him away ftilt and forward smash. When you angle it upward it is really effective. Since marth can't kill lucario too early if he doesn't get a tipper fsmash should be O.k to use. Also learn to DI out of dolphin slash. This will help you in multiple way. The first way is to take less damage and to get out of potential kill setups at higher percents. Dolphin slash is also commonly used a way to refresh marths moves. If you let yourself get hit by it you are only making it easier for marth to kill you.

This is one of the few matchup where I would say don't be afraid of rolling. Just be smart about it(i.e Try to avid rolling right in front of him. You will need all the ground mix-ups you can get.

You also mentioned jabbing. This is a bad idea. Good marth players will see this as a prime opportunity to whip out there up-B. This can be devastating at high percents( frame 1 invincibility).

As for stages you want to take him to a stage with little platforms or where the platforms don't give him much control. Marth can trap you easily on the platforms on battlefield. This also brings up where you should position yourself on the stage. You could always try to keep yourself grounded in the center. I'm sure you found yourself taking a lot of damage trying to get back on the stage. This is where marth excels the most. When properly spaced all of his moves can trump lucario. When recovering be sure to mix up your air dodge timing and don't be afraid of using B-reversals to mess up with the marth player's spacing.

Bonus tip:
In a recent trela video, trela used double team to get back on the ground when the marth player(I forgot who he was playing) used predictable fairs. You might want to try that. I have been experimenting with that lately. It seems pretty effective and it can lead to a free pivot grab if the marth is on the stage because they will almost always shield your double team.

I find this match up to be quite easy after you learn it. Of course lucario is still at the disadvantage and a mistake on your part will lead to death. I would much rather play marth than DDD. Marth doesn't have a chaingrab.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I got ***** by Mike trying to take to the air. Don't use fair except as a punisher. Use ftilt if you know the timing to hit w/ it, fsmash, AS, or roll interchangeably against fair (don't be predictable with any of them), and against Nair, your best bet is either AS or retreating crouch -> dtilt (be careful if he delays it because he can catch your crouch and make your DI really bad). If he uses his double jump to avoid your smash/AS, just pressure him and move closer to get underneath, it's a really good position against Marth.

If you have to play against him in the air, use either retreating bairs or retreating "footsie" fairs.

If he's on the edge, charge AS out of ledgehop fair and nair range, that should cover his options really well (if he ledge jumps, shield cancel your charge and uair him, if he rolls, either shield cancel your AS if the charge gets him and do an immediate nair/dair oos, or utilt if it didn't get him, and use AS for most of his other options.

I like PS1 personally v Martha, just don't get yourself in those bad spots and you'll be fine. Frigate isn't too bad either, but you have to be careful when you're recovering.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
If you are at a high percent versus a diddy player near the edge would a short backward glide toss to AS be a good kill setup?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Oooh my god you guys rock~! <3 Totally didn't expect such detailed explanations. :>

So I rematched the marth and saw muuuuch better results this time, just for sticking to my ground game. Thank you so much! My ground games pretty lacking admittedly. I rely far too much on jab gimmicks and getting F-air to touch them or there shield and just pressure from there. I need a lot more work.

My lucarios decent, but im playing as lucario with out looking at the MU's. I think thats my next step.

Oh btw Retreating b-air stumped about all his approaches and let me pivot grab away or F-tilt. F-smash worked great for picking him outta the air. I threw in a few f-airs out of bad habit, but they had a decent success rate this time. I think he just expected me to stick to the ground.

Seriously though. Thanks a bunch. :D

Top Bottom