• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yeah, I learned a lot from that guide and from watching some top Cario players. Force Palm is a riskier punish than a a regular grab but puts you in a better position at lower-mid percents/aura to follow up with Fair which leads to other stuff. Or even at low percents FP > Dash Attack is legit for a quick 20%.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Also somewhat risky kill move.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Steam, I just read your guide.

I thought it was ironic you said that Lucario isn't good at close combat when that's one of his moves in the RPG's. ololol

Anyway, I find Force Palm difficult to land.

Assuming my opponent sucks at DI and SDI (Australian's tend to be bad at this stuff), what's up throw > utilt > utilt > utilt > utilt etc like on most characters? I was trying it today and it seemed pretty effective, and if he got too close to the ground, then I reset with one jab > grab > upthrow and started again.

I honestly have no idea about this character. I main Sheik, so I'm used to an offensive (in more than one sense of the word, considering how obnoxious her DACUS and ftilt is) and reaaaaaally aggressive rushdown, where as Lucario's a bit of a strange one.

Steam

Smash Hero
two people read my guide?

<3

also guys, go into water. jump out and use dair right away, then immediately DJ any aerial you want. seems really legit

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I don't like the water.

I actually noticed that Lucario goes underwater with dair just the other day though.

But yeah. Not a fan of the water. :x

Steam

Smash Hero
oh also, I'm not a big fan of utilt strings. utilt does like 4% and you can DI out of it fast... I do a lot of reading landings/ reading DJs and chasing them with fair strings.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh okay. I guess I'll just watch and see how my opponent DI's before I try it.

utilt reminds me of Sheik's ftilt. Kinda.

Okay, maybe not. lol

I like fair's hitboxes with Lucario, but I'm a huge fan of nair too.

So much glorious disjointedness.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If you grab someone near the edge, it's usually better to throw them offstage and at least force some sort of recovery attempt...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Now that MK is banned, anyone that covers his bad matchups, like Olimar, Snake, D3...

I personally think Marth is good, but I'm biased...

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Marth loses to D3 but solid overall. Hard to learn though.

:popo: are solid because they **** :dedede: and solidly beat :olimar:. :snake: does beat them but its still close.

:falco: goes even with :snake: and beats :olimar: and :dedede:

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
I'll go for Falco then x3 I don't do too good while chain grabbing with ICS and think it's better if I go even with Snake

Trela

Smash Lord
{RT post}

Marth isn't hard to learn so much as that he requires a lot of good spacing and reading because that's all he has. He can get bogged down by projectiles and his recovery can be suspect to gimps. But he has some great moves and can pressure pretty good. Once you start getting those tipper fsmashes...run.

And I'm biased because I played him in Melee, lol...

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
How hard would you guys say lucario is to pick up? What do you feel makes a lucario player "good"? Like...what do you guys typically see they excel at? Or is their a variety?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Lucario isn't hard to play, but he doesn't have anything "OMG, so broken!!!111!!!" except Aura...and it can be super broken. If you don't like how Aura functions, don;t use him. Also, improper use of his recovery can lead to easy gimps, so you will have to learn how to make smart recoveries.

Good would be...placing consistently high/make money at large tourneys. This applies to every character. <_<

Steam

Smash Hero
I generally gauge how good a lucario is by how well it mixes up approaches and how smart it is while playing defensive (not just throwing out Fsmash, being precises with spacing moves, etc.)

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Just picked up Lucario, he seems pretty interesting(also seems to agree with my Toon Link's campy playstyle!).

COnsidering Lucario is a mainly defensive character, how good is camping with him? I don't mean the kind of camping like Fox would do on Temple(ie hit and run), but more of a get in quick hits early game, then force your opponent to approach so that you can dictate the flow of the game. Obviously spacing is important, but I seem to think Aura Sphere's ability to charge lends itself well to a more "camp" based gameplay.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You can, but good luck doing it and winning against every Diddy you play just by doing that.

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm not saying use it as a main tactic but just as an option. I was playing diddy main today and was wondering what nanner tricks we have

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lucario has a lot, just know that while you don't always want to gravitate towards diddy when he's pulling bananas, getting one can make you almost capable of outcamping him w/ aura sphere charge pressure being used correctly. Lucario can actually do some cool stuff w/ bananas, he can banana infinite, but I would say it's time better invested in becoming a better lucario than mastering entirely. Lucario can glidetoss almost every direction but throwing forward (he can throw forward while facing away though), and for that you can Jump cancel toss instead (and you can dribble with glidetoss backwards, and JC downward toss forwards for mindgames lol). It's usually better to not throw bananas at Diddy especially if he doesn't have pressure on him, since he'll always instant-toss them back at you and make you eat it (if they're good diddys anyways). It's best to just keep one under control and have it up in the air or away from Diddy, best case scenario is if you have both away or under your control :)

Bananas are also excellent in teams if you're teaming with a Diddy, he can trip anyone for a free AS (and so can you), and they get you out of a lot of sticky situations (if your partner throws a banana in your direction if you're getting murdered, about 80% of the time it resets the situation and allows you to get some breathing room).

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
I see. I got a nanner and everything seemed sooooo much easier and I was getting him good lol. I generally throw them upwards to keep them from him and throw downward when he approaches me. Thanks for the input! Seems responses are quick so i'll think of more questions lol...what is jump cancel toss?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If you press jump (X/Y usually) but hit C-stick or a direction + A while holding something, you cancel your jump into throwing in that direction, but you slide as well. A nice little feature about this toss is that you don't need to be input shield for it so you can do it out of a run more smoothly, and you can cancel your skid animation with it lol. Most banana tosses are sorta things you have to make a call of throwing or not throwing at times to avoid getting predictable or being punished.

Raylin

Smash Rookie
Aight. Questionaire timez!one1

1. What are the ways to kill your horizontal or vertical momentum? Dair isn't working.
2. How do you take on two LV9 computers on a team with Cario? What are your tactics and methods of approach?
3. Is there a tut on Extreme Speed? I can ES into Wallcling on FD about 70% of the time. That needs to change. :\

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
3. Is there a tut on Extreme Speed? I can ES into Wallcling on FD about 70% of the time. That needs to change. :\
It's all about practice.

Steam

Smash Hero
Aight. Questionaire timez!one1

1. What are the ways to kill your horizontal or vertical momentum? Dair isn't working.
2. How do you take on two LV9 computers on a team with Cario? What are your tactics and methods of approach?
1.assuming your C-stick is set to smash attacks, Dair for vertical, fair for horizontal. but remember that it's using your double jump that cancels your horizontal momentum. so you'll want to fair->fastfall->DJ
2. I don't play CPUs so IDK
3. practice practice practice. also make sure to not accidentally input down on the control stick after you grab the wall or lucario will just like let go and die.

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
1.assuming your C-stick is set to smash attacks, Dair for vertical, fair for horizontal. but remember that it's using your double jump that cancels your horizontal momentum. so you'll want to fair->fastfall->DJ
2. I don't play CPUs so IDK
3. practice practice practice. also make sure to not accidentally input down on the control stick after you grab the wall or lucario will just like let go and die.
Doesn't double jumping cause more momentum upwards when you jump? I've died plenty of times doing that.

Raylin

Smash Rookie
My C-Stick is actually a B-Stick. I used to main Lucas.
And, in regards to DJ killing horizontal momentum, are you sure?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It does, but you have to make sure you fast fall or at least input an aerial, just double jumping out of tumble will reduce your survivability, you essentially want to do it after you've regained control of your character and have started the deceleration process.

Oh yeah, and you also want to save double jump for momentum cancel when you're sure you're going to die otherwise, doing it just because you've been sent offstage will make you lose your double jump which will help you get out of a lot of tricky edgeguard situations, because Lucario's upB is pretty bad lol.

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of, wouldn't ES halt momentum and let you go into a wallchill?
Well, If you get knocked to far out and try to ES you'll probably die, either by getting edgehogged or you did it to far out. Yes you can wall cling from ES that's what makes our recovery better then usual as far as using it to cancel momentum not a good idea.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Speaking of, wouldn't ES halt momentum and let you go into a wallchill?
Yes, a little, but I wouldn't recommend it for the reasons sparkaura mentioned :(, plus if you were close enough to recover but still got hit, you're now offstage without a jump and have probably lost some height to recover, which makes you have to resort to... ES again lol.

Oh yeah, if there's a move that sends you on a really low angle like Zelda dsmash, the best option usually is actually to use your double jump ASAP, it cuts a lot of momentum out of your launch surprisingly. Or you could DI further into the stage and tech it like a boss XD

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
So the diddy match up board is being revived, and we happen to be discussing you furry blue things. The thread is old, but new input is definitely appreciated!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305584
Thanks! Anybody is welcome!

Also, the double jump to cancel momentum is a bad idea, last ditch effort at best.
Get hit offstage>input the fastest/correct aerial in relation to where you've been hit> fast fall> dj to recover
Never dj before you DI and fastfall, it'll get you killed 50% of the time.

:phone:

Alric

Smash Rookie
I have a quick technical question. I remember seeing once that you can perform lucario's dair without stopping in mid-air. How do you do that? I think it was called the air walk or something. I've seen a lucario do it in a match once too. Any help is appreciated :)

Note: this wasn't using dair after you get hit, this was intentionally jumping and doing a moving dair.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
anyone able to link or copy pasta me some of lucarios true combos..mainly looking for the sideb strings on characters but anything is good

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
I have a quick technical question. I remember seeing once that you can perform lucario's dair without stopping in mid-air. How do you do that? I think it was called the air walk or something. I've seen a lucario do it in a match once too. Any help is appreciated :)

Note: this wasn't using dair after you get hit, this was intentionally jumping and doing a moving dair.
You can't do it off bat, the only way you can is when you jump out of hit/shield stun and use D-air at the same time.

Top Bottom