• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Steam

Smash Hero
Just play people. Resort to wifi if you absolutely have to patg and cutestlillucario are the most succesful lucario's I know that played wifi. Lucario is not very technical so really all you need to practice by yourself is wall clinging and b-reversal. Really just play a lot and get a strong foundation of the game by reading stuff on AIB.
Junebug x1000

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
You Double Teamed more than you rolled... There is something wrong with that, lol. You were trying to attack where he was, instead of aiming for where he was going. You also stood in the same place a lot...
It was a hypotheical question, really.
Guy was from France, Double Teams everywhere with that button lag.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's decent because of the relatively short stage (less CG damage) and wall cling option. It's bad because the shy guys can impede on your camp game (which tbh isn't a big deal since AS isn't really good for camping anyways), and they can footstool your wallcling if you aren't careful.

emery

Smash Cadet
Whats are good stage counter pick against D3?
Apart from Drapes because that's banned at tourneys I attend to.

Also D3s Up B, if thats coming onto stage and he doesnt cancel it. Would it be a good idea to Down B it or just space it to punish.

:phone:

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Whats are good stage counter pick against D3?
Apart from Drapes because that's banned at tourneys I attend to.

Also D3s Up B, if thats coming onto stage and he doesnt cancel it. Would it be a good idea to Down B it or just space it to punish.

:phone:
You can punish it however you feel like. I like punishing it with down-b, or hit them with nair, uair or bair when they are at the peak. If they are up-bing below the stage, just keep grabbing them.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's imo personal preference, as long as you avoid going to Delphino (mainly because of walkoff chaingrabs), Rainbow Cruise, etc. Imo SV is one of your better ones, you really can't go wrong with the stage design on that one.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Phil or someone... I know I've asked this before, but could someone get the frame data for hitstun of a charging Sphere? More specifically at 0%, 75%, and 170% (unless if it remains consistent)? I know Phil has said two different numbers, so I'm a little unsure.

I just wanna figure out if some stuff perhaps USmash, NAir, Backwards FAir, turnaround grab, perhaps even Force Palm are safe taking into account landing lag. Not to mention that thing when someone lands with a B move with RCO lag they gain extra landing lag frames... If we could force someone to land using a charging AS... We could possibly have a frame safe kill setup or frame safe Trela strings.

Also, it would give more of a reason to master B Reversaling.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You have at least +10 on each character of raw advantage (some are even more, it's dependent on how their fall speed/how high up they are before the ASC is released is b/c some of that is from natural landing lag, hence why I was looking into using it v. phantasm until I found out that it still trades :p). You do however, need to take into account shield drop lag (unless you are doing aerials, which is why these are more usable and viable afterwards), which makes the number a bit less. Most aerials are usable (especially dair) from a frame-wise perspective. Utilt is usable on some, I'm not so sure on FP because once again, taking shield drop lag into account, I think only a select few w/ bad landing lag could get snagged by FP. Smashes are not guaranteed unless you somehow get RCO on them.

Now if they DI it into a different position, that's where things get messy.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Figure in RCO lag (vs. Fox, Falco, Marth, Pika) with Aura Sphere charge... Doesn't that like give us more than enough time to shield drop DSmash?

Assuming they land right after... that's at least +25 frames.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Does Lucario's Aura work on constants (1,2,3 stock) or percentage (33.3% 1 stock lost, 66.6%, 2 stock lost)?
Both stocks and damage taken affect the Aura boost you receive. This is especially noticeable in doubles when Lucario has one stock and someone else has three stocks.

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
Both stocks and damage taken affect the Aura boost you receive. This is especially noticeable in doubles when Lucario has one stock and someone else has three stocks.
I mean, does the formula Lucario runs on percentage based?

Here's an example.

Lucario in 2 stock match loses 1 stock
vs
Lucario in 3 stock match loses 1 stock

Who is more powerful?
If Percent, then 2 stock match, right?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There was some complicated formula somewhere...too lazy to search...and even then, good luck remembering it.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's static, constant (x1.2 for -1 stock difference, x1.4 for -2, x.8 for +1, etc.), but it's dependent on the difference of stocks between you and another player, now how many stocks you have.

danyo

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm a noob to Brawl in general. Only times I get to play are when I'm at my buddy's house since I don't even have a Wii. I've started to play Lucario even though I've never seen him in a Pokemon game (stopped around HS)... usually play with Ike just cause I love the hard hits he delivers. Don't worry, I only use aether to recover and hardly use his smashes.... which leads me into my question.

When playing Lucario.... do you guys use a tilt stick or a smash stick? I find that I sometimes can't pull off a tilt in a pinch because in my haste it ends up being a smash. I like using his utilt and ftilt a lot, but I've also been reading up on SDI and its advantages.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's all a matter of preference if you prefer the control stick or the CStick for tilts. If you're doing smashes instead of tilts with the control stick, you're just using too much force or buffering too fast.

tekkie

Smash Master
can someone give me a quick rundown of how lucario does with items? wtf is up with his glidetoss? strengths/weaknesses with items?

EDIT: oh yeah, every lucario main momentum cancels differently; airdodge to b-reverse aura sphere seems popular. what's up with that?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So Lucarios... Tell me how to beat you guys...

How do I deal with that annoying dair?
How to deal with a Lucario walling me with Fsmashes and AS stuff?

Simple as that. The aura really makes it scary :(

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
So Lucarios... Tell me how to beat you guys...

How do I deal with that annoying dair?
How to deal with a Lucario walling me with Fsmashes and AS stuff?

Simple as that. The aura really makes it scary :(
The most surefire way to beat us Lucarios is to keep us offstage. Most easily accomplished as Metnite.

Playing against us as Peach is a pretty bad idea, but I'll give you some pointers.

A Lucario who knows the Peach MU will start to camp at around 50%-70%. Charged Aura Spheres will omnom turnips a that point.

Peach's UAir comes out I think just about as fast as Lucario's DAir, use it for quick strings.

Hover above FSmash range and FAir us when we whiff.

If a Lucario is walling you with AS and FSmash as Peach Powershield -> Glide toss.

Hmmm, I think Jigglypuff does better against us than Peach does, lol.

tekkie

Smash Master
can someone give me a quick rundown of how lucario does with items? wtf is up with his glidetoss? strengths/weaknesses with items?

EDIT: oh yeah, every lucario main momentum cancels differently; airdodge to b-reverse aura sphere seems popular. what's up with that?
anyone? anyone?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

imo, lucario does really well with items, he has no actual "forward glidetoss", but his jump cancel toss can do the trick just as well (between forward JC toss thrown down, and backwards moving glidetoss thrown down, lucario can dribble bananas, hehe). Banana hit usually means free AS or grab, and of course Lucario has the crazy wtf glidetosses that if you hit the backwards/upwards/downwards tosses nearer to the beginning of the roll, you get a loooot of distance.

And the fact that Lucario can do GT out of aura sphere charge is kinda nice, so camping position with a banana in hand + AS is actually really strong for Lucario. AS is actually strangely good against a lot of item-based projectiles, it goes through bananas, so if the Diddy glidetosses bananas he'll eat it for trying to commit to a glidetoss (of course he can remedy this more easily by just jumping then tossing), and eats through some in general (like turnips).

B-reverse AS offstage is useful because it gives lucario access to bair, which is lucario's longest ranged aerial horizontally (it challenges Marth/MK ranged aerials, to give you an idea), it's a good mixup, especially considering that even if lucario wavebounces it and moves away, he's falling so slow that he still doesn't have to worry too badly about losing distance (unlike sheik where I go "wtf" when I lose lots of momentum from doing turn-around needles to get bair and need to get back onstage quickly).
fair, dair, and AD are fairly interchangeable (because fair and dair end so quickly), but with fair you get the option of FFing it (as well as dair, but it's usually used for vertical MC).

DusK-The-Stray

Smash Ace
I've got a question, bros. When Pictochat, Rainbow Cruise and probably Brinstar, where do you guys suggest I CP Snake when he'll most likely ban Delfino?

D. Disciple

Smash Master
The most surefire way to beat us Lucarios is to keep us offstage. Most easily accomplished as Metnite.

Playing against us as Peach is a pretty bad idea, but I'll give you some pointers.

A Lucario who knows the Peach MU will start to camp at around 50%-70%. Charged Aura Spheres will omnom turnips a that point.

Peach's UAir comes out I think just about as fast as Lucario's DAir, use it for quick strings.

Hover above FSmash range and FAir us when we whiff.

If a Lucario is walling you with AS and FSmash as Peach Powershield -> Glide toss.

Hmmm, I think Jigglypuff does better against us than Peach does, lol.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm guessing Ernie is MTI.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Jiggs aerial mobility is nothing like Wario's nor is his pressuring. If they are pounding we're hitting them with aura spherses, fsmash, fair to dair or whatever. If you're getting pressured off stage, then why are you close to the edge in the first place?

We have a lot of moves that trade with it or beat him, and even then the trade is in our favor.

Overall, Jiggs does not do better against us than Peach.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
MTI, you've...never played a Peach that dairs or uses floats effectively do you? Like you say things like that and...I get these unwanted headaches.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You're welcome to say whatever you want...but expect backlash if you say crazy things.

Like I remember some random people proposed Jigglypuff beat MK...yeah...

There is a reason why she is low tier.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
How difficult of a character is Lucario to pick up? Also what are a few general things that would be useful to know about him?

I need a secondary that can handle Pika and the IC's, and I've recently had a lot of interest in playing Lucario.

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
How difficult of a character is Lucario to pick up? Also what are a few general things that would be useful to know about him?

I need a secondary that can handle Pika and the IC's, and I've recently had a lot of interest in playing Lucario.
Mental fortitude for furry stuff is all you need, really.
Not very high learning curve.

If you can momentum cancel, can place projectiles in the right spots, and space, you'll do well with Lucario.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Oh ok. I was trying to play Lucario yesterday and I liked it so far. I think he may end up as my secondary. I'm looking forward to playing as him at the next Smashfest I go to.

I did have another quick question though. How does Lucario DI? I'm guessing it's somewhat different than Falco because I wasn't taking big hits very well yesterday.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
For lucario, you gotta fair or dair, depending on where you are sent, he has come actually pretty good DI capability if you pull it off. I actually think Lucario is Falco's best secondary by far, minus MK of course. The only other characters that do as well v. those chars is arguably like diddy and Marth, and they're a lot more common so the opponent will know the MU more likely.

Top Bottom