• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
are there NO vulnerability frames in this data for lucarios ledge get up?

Ledge getup < 100%
Invincible frames throughout until frame: 30

Ledge getup > 100%
Invincible frames throughout until frame: 55
I haven't found where I put the animation ending numbers for those tbh :p

I'll mark it as "incomplete" for now

@Browny, maybe with bad DI, or if you're a tad closer to the blastzone like on the SV platform, I have not really killed with bthrow much if at all before that number actually (unless they're ridiculously light)

@earla's previous question: You usually don't lol, best chances are gimp if it's possible against the opponent you're playing, sleeper AS/tipper fsmash, or from what I've noticed, uair seems to kill fairly well, but most of these won't kill even if you're at 0% unless your opponent has hella damage racked onto them.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
If Marth approaches Lucario with a fair and hits our shield, Lucario can drop shield and ftilt and hit Marth before she can do anything right? (Assuming Martha hits your shield with the tip)

iRJi

Smash Champion
If Marth approaches Lucario with a fair and hits our shield, Lucario can drop shield and ftilt and hit Marth before she can do anything right? (Assuming Martha hits your shield with the tip)
Nope. Marth still have frame advantage in that situation. If its a rising Fair, it's punishable by a few amount of moves, mainly jumping OOS and fairing. If it's a falling Fair, he will have advantage regardless.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
So pretty much, Lucario has no options to punish Marth when he uses a SH>Fair on Lucarios shield? Thats sucks.
Shield (S)DI Grab :p That's pretty much the only thing that CAN directly counter that move, but you could be playing a game of cat and mouse with him.

You have the projectile, bait him into approaching and into something.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Well yeah, lots of characters don't if it's spaced right lol.

fsmash, ftilt, and AS stuff fair though, so use those instead to outrange him.

Kuares

Pizza
So for doubles, I'm probably going to be stuck with a Lucario as my team mate. So along with the Anubis strategy, I thought of using Fox's quick attacks/laser to activate Lucario's Double team and break opponents up and maybe get some kills.

Question I have are:
  • How long is the invincibility on a successful counter?
  • Is the counter-attack punishable?
  • Are there any major flaws to this tactic?
  • Is there anything else that could be useful in teams?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Welp, It's a gimmick that sounds fun, but it's flawed for a couple of reasons:

-Double team leaves Lucario out in the open for a loooong time, enough that if you didn't activate it, he's like free for a grab/smash at times.
-Double team doesn't induce stun on nearby targets like Marth and Ike's, meaning if they have fast enough reaction time they can shield before it comes out
-It's kinda punishable, albeit a little hard to.

I'll use DT occasionally to get out of tight spots where I feel I'm in the deep rabble of things, but otherwise I prefer just letting that be a sparingly used move. Using it w/ pikmin on you is occasionally useful, but that too is pretty gimmicky and the opponent can see it coming fairly easily. I would focus on using Fox as your killer when Lucario isn't powered up with Lucario as your setup/netter since Lucario's moves kinda control fairly large space, and both have good damage racking obv. Anubis isn't recommended as Fox is fairly light and is susceptible to taking a lot of damage from certain things :\, you kinda need someone who can avoid taking damage really well and can live for a substantial amount of time to make Anubis work the best.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
I don't use Lucario alot anymore. But I still use him. I have noticed that Dtilt is a great move it you are trying to pick away at their shield.
Example of how I use it (mix-up only) I'll aim ftilt up then buffer dtilt. Since ftilt hits twice, if they don't PS it, and they are good players; they should aim their shield up. That leaves them open for a dtilt to poke, and if it doesn't, depending on who you're playing, you should be safe.

It's a legit mix up. Gets alot of people.. Or the ones I play with.

earla

Smash Lord
watched apex lee martin vs m2k.

noticed on lee martins 2nd stock first game, he used double team immediately on respawn. what for?

2nd game first stock on ps1, he used double team immediately as the game stated. what for?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I'm about to pick up Lucario as a secondary; what do I absolutely have to know before I do so?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I am a D3 main lol.

And DUDE do you know how bad ICs vs D3 is for us. Its almost a -4 lol.

I just know how to play Lucario to an extent/no Ice Climbers currently in MI can 0 to death a Lucario besides me. lol

:phone:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
lol

Anyways lain told me how Lucario fights ICs is this:

Camp your *** off.

Also, when in doubt jump and aim for the head if they are shooting iceblocks at you.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
the MU consists of dair camping w/ lots of plats, and when there isn't, fair is still safe on block v. ICs, so work w/ that. And when you separate them, WoP nana like crazy to get her damage up/gimp her possibly.

haha yeah, to CG lucario, bthrow -> dthrow isn't so good, it's more like bthrow -> buffered fthrow.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm going to keep all this in mind.

And I use B-Throw to F-Throw and I never have problems CGing Lucario. :)

But like Ori just now figured out to start using ICs against my DDD after losing to me 3 sets in tournament lol. So...time to start abusing the Aura ;)

But if I can't get the gimp what are my safer kill options?

:phone:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Bait the Side B recovery and knock them out of it.

If their shield is down they'll be much easier to approach.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
I've been told I play the match up a lot different.

I tend to stay on the ground, perfect shielding the ice blocks, shooting baby aura spheres.

Don't try to space with fsmash too much though, not a good idea.

I'm pretty ground base in this match up for some reason, it's weird. Also I try to go in for the grab a lot too.

Is it better to use tap jump with lucario or without?
Control schemes are mostly preference. There are some exceptions, like MetaKnight's uair strings are easier with tap jump on. I don't think Lucario would have anything where it'd be easier with it on

Communisthunter

Smash Cadet
Is there any benefit for lucarios to sheild with L as opposed to R? I've always used R, but i'm wondering if i'm making things a bit more difficult for myself (most people seem to use L and change R to something more useful).

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Use the button youre most comfortable with. You don't need two shield buttons.

Pivot

Godfather
3DS FC
4742-5223-3550
Is there any strategy to beating Dedede? I'm new to Lucario and I'm going to use him as a secondary (main is MK). I'm not used to the drastic speed change quite yet either.

Dedede is big so I thought I'd have an advantage but he juggles me into 150% and my best move is really only the down air but he has a hammer...Any suggestions?

Top Bottom