• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Browny

Smash Hater
Ice my bias is coz I see that Earl + nicks are going to attempt anubis. No offense to earl, but he has gone through a variety of characters and hasnt stuck with anyone outside of MK. And from my experience, finding an australian who has the patience to be the super stock tank is next to impossible. The strat requires both players to be absolutely dedicated to making it work, it most definitely is not something you can pull out on a CP when your normal strait fails and expect it to work.

It takes a lot of effort on Nicks part and playing the ultra-defensive support role isnt easy. Theres no point attempting this strategy without total dedication and awareness of how tough it is because it is extremely strong. The worst discouraging they could get is when the strat fails repeatedly because not enough effort was put into sticking to the strategy as oppose to simply playing 2 1vs1 matches at the same time.

Again, its just a warning. People think ZSS+G&W or MK+Snake (omnigay) teams require good teamwork but really they pale in comparison to the dedication to the strat required for anubis to be successful, ESPECIALLY with players only just starting out as luc. I know earl and nicks are good enough players to pull it off, they just need to be aware though of the patience required so when problems arise, they know its not the strategy, characters or players that arent working, its their patience.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
dw browny i have the patience, i main wario remember ;)

so if im understanding this correctly only two things make lucario stronger,

1. the less stocks he has

2. the higher percent he is on.

is that right? because I thought there were other factors aswell that made him stronger.

earla

Smash Lord
how can the luc help make it work?

2. what are some general important tips on playing lucario effectively djb?

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Ice my bias is coz I see that Earl + nicks are going to attempt anubis. No offense to earl, but he has gone through a variety of characters and hasnt stuck with anyone outside of MK. And from my experience, finding an australian who has the patience to be the super stock tank is next to impossible. The strat requires both players to be absolutely dedicated to making it work, it most definitely is not something you can pull out on a CP when your normal strait fails and expect it to work.

It takes a lot of effort on Nicks part and playing the ultra-defensive support role isnt easy. Theres no point attempting this strategy without total dedication and awareness of how tough it is because it is extremely strong. The worst discouraging they could get is when the strat fails repeatedly because not enough effort was put into sticking to the strategy as oppose to simply playing 2 1vs1 matches at the same time.

Again, its just a warning. People think ZSS+G&W or MK+Snake (omnigay) teams require good teamwork but really they pale in comparison to the dedication to the strat required for anubis to be successful, ESPECIALLY with players only just starting out as luc. I know earl and nicks are good enough players to pull it off, they just need to be aware though of the patience required so when problems arise, they know its not the strategy, characters or players that arent working, its their patience.
ok i c your point..

dw browny i have the patience, i main wario remember ;)

so if im understanding this correctly only two things make lucario stronger,

1. the less stocks he has

2. the higher percent he is on.

is that right? because I thought there were other factors aswell that made him stronger.
yeah that is it, those two things are the only factors that make aura get stronger, in doubles it just takes into account the other 3 players instead of just one thats why the aura boost is so mutch different than in single play.

how can the luc help make it work?

2. what are some general important tips on playing lucario effectively djb?
basically you just have to be good at fighting 2 people at the same time with little to no help

Browny

Smash Hater
Yeah thats all there is nicks. As for earls q, theres not exactly too much the lucario can do other than try to do as much damage as possible before dying. You will get beat up early on and you wont have much support. You probably wont act much differently on your third stock than you would as any other character, playing carefully and holding it for as long as possible etc. As I said, imo, its the other character which makes or breaks this. They have to know when to move in to help and when to back off. It doesnt matter how bad lucario is getting beat up in the 2vs1 situation for the first stocks, if moving in to help would cost his teammate a stock before lucario loses 1st or second stock, its probably not worth the risk.

In general though...

The other character (not lucario) ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT DIE FIRST. no questions.
Lucario should lose his second stock before the other character loses one. This is the hard part, the other character needs to trust in the Lucario enough and let them get beat up on the second stock while not taking unnecessary damage.

Ideally the mk/wario/whatever would be at very low % while luc starts his second stock and the other character can get more involved in the fight, ensuring luc doesnt lose to stock too quickly by intefering. If the other character starts getting beat up and runs the possibility of dying before lucario loses his second, they need to back off. Once lucario is at kill % on second stock, the other character can be much more aggressive and take the frontal role, letting lucario cover from behind with FCAS, fsmash etc. This is why its important for the other character to take as little damage as possible over the first few minutes, the longer they are able to play this attacking role while lucario is at high % on the second stock, the better. Every few seconds you are able to stay alive in the fray is another ~30% Aura sphere which can be sent in the enemies general direction.

For example, having an MK trade 50% each vs one opponent during the first stock such that by the time lucario is high power on second stock, MK is at like, 70%, that is FAR worse than the mk not trading any hits at all and letting lucario get beat up harder on the first stock, he might lose 2 stocks before you take one off the enemy and infact thats probably likely.

So Ideally (realistically), by the time lucario loses his second stock, his teammate will be at mid-high %'s on their first stock. Then Lucario goes to town and the game reverts into a normal doubles match except now lucario is stupidly powerful.

IDK though lol I havent had too much experience with this myself but from what I have experienced is that the other player often feels they are an opportunist and stop planking to try and get some free damage, often resulting in them getting quickly ganged up on as the other team knows killing them is enough to ruin the strat and they take a ton of %, severely limiting how much damage lucario can deal out on his second stock.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah, apparently Ness/Lucas are really good Lucario teammates too, maybe not top 5, but the fact that Junebug and Mekos have been getting a really good 1st place streak should say something about the team.

As junebug said on the latest episode of DI though, "Anyone that can't die" and don't need a lot of rescuing (hence why snake/D3 aren't very good, doable, but meh) is a really good mix for Lucario, characters like TL are really good at avoiding a lot of damage and unless you're fighting double MK, are really good for consideration.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Oh yeah, apparently Ness/Lucas are really good Lucario teammates too, maybe not top 5, but the fact that Junebug and Mekos have been getting a really good 1st place streak should say something about the team.
id really like to c how that works, are there any vids?

earla

Smash Lord
whe are the currect top lucario players?

any good japan lucario players?

3. what happens in anubis strategy if i lose my last stock and have to steal a stock from my teammate?

eg. teammate is on 3, im on 1. i lose my last stock.

steal one from teammate. im not on 1. teammate is on 2. do i still receive significant boost?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
whe are the currect top lucario players?
Trela and Junebug are the top Lucarios at the moment.

any good japan lucario players?
Ken comes to mind but even then, Trela and Junebug > Him.

3. what happens in anubis strategy if i lose my last stock and have to steal a stock from my teammate?

eg. teammate is on 3, im on 1. i lose my last stock.
You'll lose part of your buff, but it's fine since you'll still have a buff for being behind.

steal one from teammate. im not on 1. teammate is on 2. do i still receive significant boost?
Not sure what your referring to here per say, could you restate for me?

earla

Smash Lord
hey.browny told me in the anubis strat, if i'm on 1 stock, teammate is on three.

even if teammate loses stocks i'm still locked on the 2 stocks down from teammate aura because i died when he was on 3.

i tried it today, didn't seem like i remained to have the 1.4 base dmg if my teammate lost a stock or two.

can you guys clear it up for me please?

Browny

Smash Hater
depends how your teammate died afaik... like, they cant SD. also its dependant on the enemies stocks of course, if they lost stocks at the same died it should make you weaker.

idk

I havent been able to use it much >_<

Browny

Smash Hater
Lmao oh the answer to that question changes DRASTICALLY vs australians, especially since no one knows anything about lucario here.

You can cg pretty much all middleweights and higher 2-5 times, most on the fast fallers. You can mash out of it early, but no one will.

:phone:

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Lucario boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
We beat ROB due to his inability to kill.

ROB generally has better counterpicks, but we still believe it is slightly in our favor.

earla

Smash Lord
how do you momentum cancel with lucario?

i've heard a few things, fair/airdodge?

i want to be sure about what is the most effective method.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Fair/dair are your best bet. Most characters do better with air dodge, but Lucario's fair and dair last for such a short amount of time that they are really good at getting momentum back. Dair is good for vertical MC because it auto fast falls (it's a good thing that stalling property doesn't happen 24/7), and fair is pretty good for horizontal momentum canceling.

earla

Smash Lord
what are lucarios best ko moves?

judging so far, bair, as, fsmash, dair, dsmash, nair seem to ko decently.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Those are pretty good, but dsmash, nair, and bair are a tad more situational (although bair is great for edgeguard kills and nair's good on lightweights/when really fresh, which is kinda hard to make it in most cases), I'd add AS, sideB (there's a little trick where if you "prime" FP just before you land, you can make the grab come out just when you land and make it like a pseudo-command grab) and uair.

AS in general is like fsmash with more safety, and works really well on whiffs/catching landings with it.

Actually, bair is pretty useful for killing, just make sure you don't use it predictably.

earla

Smash Lord
prime force palm, pseudo command grab??????

does the grab come out faster?

vid link example?

any other tricks like that i shud know?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Watch some recent matches of Junebug against Logic. He'll use it in the air right before landing so that it comes out earlier, it's a good surprise kill for people who sit in shield trying to stuff your approaches (like with Olimar's JC usmash oos)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
yup, makes it gay when you have a plat fall on an opponent or footstool and can't do a lot about it :(

I usually just do a quick BAS -> charge smash

earla

Smash Lord
been practicing the fast force palm.

i sh, fast fall then input force palm before i land. hope im doing it correctly.

1. in teams, could a strategy be to PICK on one of the opponents to leave one of them on 3 stock and the other on 1 giving me a 2'stock down boost from one of them, instead of a 1 stock down from each of them boost if they were both on 2 stocks each?

iRJi

Smash Champion
Depends on the data given for the item toss. In most cases, if you have an item, it is faster to toss it for momentum then it is to cast a move. There are only a few characters which that does not apply to. To my knowledge, Lucario has one of the higher end frame data for pick up/toss items, which make it faster for him to toss an item then it is to fair.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
We beat ROB due to his inability to kill.

ROB generally has better counterpicks, but we still believe it is slightly in our favor.
K thanks, I think it's a big advantage for you guys. 60:40 seems pretty accurate since R.O.B. can't kill and you live forever meaning early kills and combo game.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
why is it that most lucarios i know also use sheik?

Because Sheik is so much fun, she really blends well with one's playstyle if they've used Lucario, except you trade your killpower and range for pure speed (ground mobility and moveset speed). Both fairs are somewhat safe on block depending on the MU, bair stops cocky opponents who normally have better range from completely outcompeting/walling you, projectiles both catch landings really well (one kills and the other does a looot of damage and is faster/harder to block and dodge), and she has a really good mix of ground and air game, and transitions between the two really well, just like Lucario. She also has pretty even MUs with D3/snake, although when the opponent doesn't know the MU it's usually pretty **** for sheik ;P

earla

Smash Lord
what are lucarios best kill options if we are at 0% first stock and opponent is at 100%+ on his first stock?

are there moves that aren't affected by aura?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
If the opponent is a midweight you can backthrow kill them at the edge at around 160+.

Just build damage on them until you can kill them otherwise.

earla

Smash Lord
are there NO vulnerability frames in this data for lucarios ledge get up?

Ledge getup < 100%
Invincible frames throughout until frame: 30

Ledge getup > 100%
Invincible frames throughout until frame: 55

Top Bottom