• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
your point being?

*edit*

yeah, he posted it at 1am, which technically already is saturday.

guess he meant it being today from yesterday.
Timezones...
For me he posted at like 3AM, yet I still got that he was referring to Saturday.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
i think he is in the same timezone as me.

i just took it literally, as indicated by the exact hour lol

whoops. it's like a bad habit, anyways, brb stream

shanus

Smash Hero
i Can edit them to be on, but we are going to update the CMS infrastructure first

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
so has tripping been completely removed yet? I know there are no more random trips, but can they still be caused from moves like fox's shine?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm pretty sure there's still that 1% chance from electric moves that they can't figure out how to remove.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Ledge occupancy, the occasional tripping from horizontal angle attacks at low %s, and backwards ledge grab ranges need to be looked at. I'm sure there's 1 more thing too.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
so has tripping been completely removed yet? I know there are no more random trips, but can they still be caused from moves like fox's shine?
I thought they were doing something with them but not taking them out completely? It would be a shame, cuz tripping your opponents with certain attacks was really cool. One of Brawl's only good new mechanics imo.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
I thought they were doing something with them but not taking them out completely? It would be a shame, cuz tripping your opponents with certain attacks was really cool. One of Brawl's only good new mechanics imo.
Pretty sure the trip rate from running is set to zero, but some moves will trip randomly. It's not on purpose, with the exception of like, Diddies bananas.

Magus420

Smash Master
Any attack used on someone grounded with an angle parallel or lower to the floor (0/180 and downwards on level ground), and above a certain amount of knockback but below the tumble threshold of KB has about an 11% base chance to trip, even if the hitbox trip rate parameter is set to 0. It's why Fox's shine on Marth's weight and heavier, Falco's d-air at low percent, Zelda's d-tilt, etc can trip even though their trip rates are set to 0.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
can anybody link me to magus' old post about how the control stick reads di? it had a picture of the control stick and arrows near the cardinal directions, and was used to explain that ideal di can be achieved simply by moving the control stick like 10 degrees off a cardinal direction each way.
repost for 24 hours without a response and this thread moves too fast for me to trust not reposting it

also this: http://hypem.com/item/1amtj/Zelda+-+Lost+Woods+Ephixa+Dubstep+Remix+
idgaf if we arent supposed to post more songs, but this is just too awesome

jalued

Smash Lord
Any attack used on someone grounded with an angle parallel or lower to the floor (0/180 and downwards on level ground), and above a certain amount of knockback but below the tumble threshold of KB has about an 11% base chance to trip, even if the hitbox trip rate parameter is set to 0. It's why Fox's shine on Marth's weight and heavier, Falco's d-air at low percent, Zelda's d-tilt, etc can trip even though their trip rates are set to 0.
cant you use the same method used to allow spikes? or is the tripping issue not just dependant on the angle?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
everyone listening to dubstep is either
- lacking in terms of personality or
- suck
and has probably
- been fan of pendulum when it was popular and/or
- never even been to a dubstep party

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Attack induced tripping doesn't seem so bad to me. Although Melee physics could make moves that trip more dangerous - since a tripped opponent is easily set up for a tech chase or even the start of a combo, or could be punished upon get up even with tripping being "techable". At the same time, melee likes its combos... but I'm guessing too many broken combos (0-death) would be something to avoid from a character balance perspective - not that tripping would necessarily lead to 0-deaths, but it certainly could and will lead to more damage.

Imo, Fox tripping with shine is scary since Fox is already high tier and doesn't need more setups. Plus it doesn't make much sense as far as physics go - (although physics "making sense" in a smash setting has hardly ever been a concern :p) On the other hand, Zelda's dtilt makes more sense to me. She attacks low (feet) causing a trip and a set up - something she is less capable of doing than Fox. Also, and obviously, Diddy must have tripping for his bananas. I'm glad this isn't in dispute or apparently at all affected by all the other moves' tripping code - I assume because bananas are items.

Back to the moves in dispute however...
When these tripping moves (like Zelda's dtilt) aren't tripping, they usually result in a forward fall with an instant get up that can be punished if acted on quickly. So if tripping was gone, that would be all there was to these tripping attacks, which wouldn't bother me. But if you really don't want tripping and you can't remove it, consider trying to work with it. Now, I have no idea if this is possible due to my ignorance when it comes to coding, but perhaps if the action can't be removed it can instead be changed... ? I get the feeling this isn't possible... but if it is, it could get rid of tripping in a different way - by making it something different. For example, maybe it could just be the forward fall without an instant get up so you'd end up in the regular lying position instead of the more vulnerable sitting position. Don't know if that solves anyone's problems however, but it's perhaps something to think about.

In any case, whatever is done wont bother me one way or the other. With it, I can get tripped and possibly punished more... but so can my opponent. Without it, I can't trip my opponent and punish, etc... but... you get the picture.

Crooked Crow

everyone listening to dubstep is either
- lacking in terms of personality or
- suck
and has probably
- been fan of pendulum when it was popular and/or
- never even been to a dubstep party
This is so incredibly biased and wrong.

jalued

Smash Lord
surely the main problem with the random tripping at low % is with fox. Anyone who wants to play the melee top tier will find it seriously irritating that the shine is no longer a guaranteed set up, and that it will change the feel of fox.

@jahkzheng : i think the main concern people have is the random element of tripping. If a move was guarenteed to trip, then it could be added into an arsenal of options. But since its random, it cannot be used properly to combo and hence will result in frustrating trips. Imagine trying to combo properly with luigi's misfire...

still hope it can be fixed though

it seems lazy of Nintendo to make ALL moves that do less than a certain % trip, rather than giving specific moves the ability... but what more can you expect :/

Crooked Crow

Yeah. Sure.

Also, has there been any progress on Olimar and Ice Climbers? I know their files are harder to modify.

Msingh0

Smash Apprentice
I don't think so, but that's why I feel like one of them is the secret character. I think it's ice climbers, mainly because their file would be the hardest to modify. (so they would be the most impressive) IIRC their file is combined, whereas in melee the files were separated. also, they'd have to modify nana's AI. As far as hardest character to fix goes, I'd say its ice climbers.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Just saying, writing maturity with horrid grammar isn't helping one's case. Now this is all subjective taste. Can we get back to Project M?

Also for those who can't make it to the streams, Pit got a lot of acclaim each time he was shown. Look forward to it.

And Olimar would be 100X harder than Ice climbers x_x. That guy looks like a programming hell.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Did Jcz record the stream? I had to leave and missed it.

Also, I don't see how ICs having the files combined makes any difference since they're the same, unless you want to make them have different attributes from eachother.

Revven

FrankerZ
Also, I don't see how ICs having the files combined makes any difference since they're the same, unless you want to make them have different attributes from eachother.
You can't change anything of Nana's without hexing it in, making the process way more tedious in changing her as well as anything more specific than "change this hitbox to do 9 damage and the angle to be 90 degrees" is also a lot more time consuming and annoying (annoying meaning takes a lot more time than any other character) to deal with that it's better to save them as one of the last characters to do. When you change Popo, it doesn't change Nana in PSA as she is her own character despite the fact that they share the same file.

I have said this time and time again (as have others), it makes them annoying to deal with and Olimar is even harder than they are because of his Pikmin. Pretty much anything we want to do with Olimar requires knowledge of his rel, extensive knowledge which we don't have because .rels are a pain in the *** in the first place with just one character, just tack on 6 other characters into one rel + Olimar making 7 and you have a **** ton more things to sift through.

So for the probably 30th time it's been said: ICs and Olimar have both not received any work (except ICs attributes) because of the complications of their files.

Edit: And yes, Ecks, JCz did save his stream. At least, the first couple of hours in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom