• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IYM!

Smash Lord
Charging means making his uncharged hit weaker, and the attack is already slow and telegraphed, so charging would make it worse in every way possible.
-DD
why?

why that move must be nerfed to have the charge option?

I agree, but, maybe in a similar manner to Toon Link, who has hurricane spin by charging, Link could have the great spin, a simple boost of range, strong or not as the main attack.

Link is already incredible right now so, whatever.
this is a good idea IMO, Link P:M needs more love

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Tbh, if Link had a Great Spin at all, it would be when he's at 0%-like ~30%, like when you have to have full hearts to use it in TP. Not a terribly big fan of radical changes to Link's SCRAAAAGH! overall.

Brawl's Spin Attack mechanic had something going, but overall Melee's had a different "oomf" to it, it felt more final, like an actual KB move, unlike Brawl's.

Also, did SA lose some of its range or can I not see it? It seems shorter in Brawl than in Melee. Unless that's just the model difference.

Slashy

Smash Lord
He can have his Smash 64 grounded spin attack when fully charged, that was always nice :), as I recall it required you to time it as the range dwindled throughout the animation.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
why?

why that move must be nerfed to have the charge option?
It's the basic principle of any charge move, barring smash attacks.
Think of how strong Link's spin was in Brawl, and how ineffective it was, when compared to the full charge.

Or Marth's Shield Breaker, or any of the charge-able projectiles.
-DD

Slashy

Smash Lord
Range isn't really important to Link, he has enough better poking moves as it is.

Charging moves are best left to Dedede

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I don't really know, I never tried Brawl Minus extensively. I gave it one match and went "This is Brawl, just worse" and put down my controller. Again, I'm not saying my idea are to be used (Although I think mine actually had some thought into it, unlike people who are asking for buffs on character that don't need them). I'm just throwing stuff out there. If it can jog some inspiration into someone's mind and they come up with something better, great. If not, that's fine too ^^.

For the charged spin attack, I don't really think it's needed It's already very potent as a stronger initial hit move. If it gets any stronger through charging, it would be kinda devastating.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's true. Mario is really quite playable now.

OK, how about this. I can't seem to spike opponents with Falco's down throw from the edge of the stage, any comments? I had a lot of fun doing that in Melee!
It's definitely still possible. I did it just two days ago to one of my crewmates. The easiest way I can do it (which happened to be the way I did it that day) is to get them near the edge and boost pivot grab -> dthrow. Guaranteed meteor if both of you are even remotely close to the edge (you know, unless he wall techs or meteor cancels of course :p).

Slashy

Smash Lord
I don't really know, I never tried Brawl Minus extensively. I gave it one match and went "This is Brawl, just worse" and put down my controller.
I don't know how Brawl- got into this discussion (even though it does improve the range on spin attack when fully charged), but if that's you're attitude about it I don't want it to be discussed further.

I think a variety of moves is needed, stale moves and not overpowered moves make for a more varied and more interesting game. If spin attack becomes overpowered, then it becomes the crux of Link's moveset.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Or just leave it alone because it's really not that crucial to Link's game to add it back. Link's got other, better ways to improve anyways. That, and Great Spin was hardly a notable move at all; it was easily the most disappointing skill in the entire game.

Slashy

Smash Lord
I think demo characters should be left as is, if we keep whining like this about balance and changes (which were present in other Smash games), we're not going to be happy with the final release. I think we should be more focused on the rest of the roster and the changes for the upcoming patch.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Range isn't really important to Link, he has enough better poking moves as it is.

Charging moves are best left to Dedede
What? His new ftilt, relatively quick fmash and up B are fantastic for spacing those speedier characters when they get in too close for boomerang or bombs. With zair still left to experiment with, I don't see how you could say range isn't important. Given, he's got poking moves, but his spacing game and poking game (lol) are what make him such a force to be reckon with in P:M. Fsmash really kills an opponent's shield, especially because the first and second hit move the opponent back, it makes OoS options a bit tougher. I've gotten off maybe 7 shield breaks with fmash, which is 7 more than I have in vBrawl.

God, Link in P:M is the BOMB.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I was just wondering if the dev team has looked at Dedede Minus for ideas? Some of the ideas like angleable Waddle Dees/Doos, nair as a combo move, Ftilt as a combo move, etc... Could fit really well into Project M.

Slashy

Smash Lord
What? His new ftilt, relatively quick fmash and up B are fantastic for spacing those speedier characters when they get in too close for boomerang or bombs. With zair still left to experiment with, I don't see how you could say range isn't important. Given, he's got poking moves, but his spacing game and poking game (lol) are what make him such a force to be reckon with in P:M. Fsmash really kills an opponent's shield, especially because the first and second hit move the opponent back, it makes OoS options a bit tougher. I've gotten off maybe 7 shield breaks with fmash, which is 7 more than I have in vBrawl.

God, Link in P:M is the BOMB.
I'm sorry, what I meant to say was that range wasn't important because he had so many great range moves as it was. I'm not doing damage control I'm just correcting myself.

If his opponent is far away, he has many options to approach or even camp, giving Link a great knockback great range move is going to convince Link players to never approach. Again, that stuff should be left to Dedede.

I was just wondering if the dev team has looked at Dedede Minus for ideas? Some of the ideas like angleable Waddle Dees/Doos, nair as a combo move, Ftilt as a combo move, etc... Could fit really well into Project M.
Nair might not work in P:M due to the low hitstun and hitlag. Grim Tuesday should we bring up the discussion of my Minion Toss idea?

Gust14

Smash Apprentice
Link's spin attack is usefull to cath oponents for surprise and as an edgeguard, the charge dosen't add anything to those aplications, it makes the move (more) predictable and it is already strong enough for an edgeguard, charged spin attack near the edge seems kind of op

One thing I think would be cool, and useful, is that you make spin attack into ledgehog easier, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E82TNOFtkz0, not sure but I think it can be done on melee too

Another idea is making his aerial spin attack link better into the last hit and/or making that last hit stronger

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I have to agree with Slashy on this one. We can't have the dev team try to please everyone, or this would become the new Brawl Plus. Constant patches, never finalizing characters.

Oh, and my "I don't like Brawl-" thing wasn't really meant for debate. I,m not the public for Minus, honestly, and the two projects are fine being distinctive and not overlapping much. Just that I'm acknowledging that what is good for Minus might not fit what a melee player like me would like to see. besides, I trust the dev team can come up with ideas better suited for Project M's.

Slashy

Smash Lord
I have to agree with Slashy on this one. We can't have the dev team try to please everyone, or this would become the new Brawl Plus. Constant patches, never finalizing characters.

Oh, and my "I don't like Brawl-" thing wasn't really meant for debate. I,m not the public for Minus, honestly, and the two projects are fine being distinctive and not overlapping much. Just that I'm acknowledging that what is good for Minus might not fit what a melee player like me would like to see. besides, I trust the dev team can come up with ideas better suited for Project M's.
I was more upset that you said it was worse than Brawl...I don't know how that is even possible, besides troll brawl

(Technically on topic but I don't want to change the discussion at hand, anyone whose seen Scott Pilgrim or played Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 3 please hit me on IM. I want your feedback on something.)

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Lol, I didn't like it, but don't take it as a "word of truth". Because I don't like it doesn't mean you can't.

(And I saw Scott Pilgrim / played the game, but I'm avoiding IMs completely for the exam period. PM me if you want)

D

Deleted member

Regarding Tink's chargeable up-b OoS:

I don't see how the charge helps him at all OoS where you need to punish immediately or escape pressure instantly.

Why not just make his grounded up-b go a fixed length every use? Maybe allowing it to move the same distance as Mario's Tornado whilst grounded would be better.

Then Tink could up-b OoS and pull Falco/Fox to the ledge by moving towards it. He could then
combo nair, fair, or bair off the final hit of up-b and gimp the opponent.

What's being done with his fire spike? Its a rather poor option. I doubt turning it into a spike would make it that much better too.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
i am agree, or maybe, give to the first hit the strong kill move, like upB 64, and the rest of thge attack just weak ones
SCRAAAAGH is strong enough as is and provids a semi spike. What else could you want?

EDIT: Regarding TLink/Link OoS, up B definitely isn't the best option. You may be better of with a grab, a jump or Usmash. TLink has a good Usmash, though I'm not sure what's being done with it. His grab game is pretty solid too (Dat dthrow) and relying solely on up B isn't a good idea.

Both Spin Attacks are pretty much fine as is. No need for a charge or mobility. It's not really necessary. Just because something CAN be changed doesn't mean it should.

D

Deleted member

You can't utilt OoS. You have to drop shield first.

Y. Link's up-b OoS in Melee isn't a good option. It doesn't even work properly.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I did quite like the power of Link's aerial Up B in 64 despite its unbelievably bad recovery. It's a great aerial kill move next to Fair and Dair. I just don't see how you could implement it though without it being overpowered in its Melee recovery form.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
awesome stream guys.... gotta love the Rumpelstiltskin shoes of warios... when you guys gonna give Oli and ivy a regular up-b so they can magically become more viable?

Rikana

Smash Champion
lol how come I'm banned from IRC chat again? I haven't even went on for a while.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Because it's a move that already can KO spacies basically at spawn percent. Giving it a charge both makes a powerful move more powerful, and increases the ease of using the move, due to the fact that you can charge it up and release when you want. It takes away a lot of the risk with the move.
Your not talking about the semi spike are you? That has to be the only thing I can think of that would kill on spawn. Firstly, I'm not sure if this is possible but you can keep the semi spike at the constant KB but only have the initial hitbox get more powerful.

And speaking about charging being easier, yes it can give your more leeway but how often have you seen a fully charged smash connect in melee? Hardly ever so it should be fine. Its not like its DKs charge punch where you can store the full charged to combo into so IMO trying to connect with a charged sword spin is more risky.

Blu Link: Why do you have a G major scale or E minor scale in your sig???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom