• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Is "M" for "Melee"?

Interestingly, "Project M" is the name for Metroid: Other M development. Is this where the name originated from? Perhaps a subconscious choice?

Brawl: M gets my vote for the name for the reason above. "Brawl 'em."

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
As I said, I havent taken the time to make those for Kirby yet, but if someone talented with Brawlbox wants to, thatd be great.
Actually, all you would have to do is change the translation of Kirby's TransN bone(I think) so that he moves foward/backwards....

And I have a request. I know this is a little random, but can we have a version of Kirby's old aerial hammer that isn't completely horrible? Like, make it so that it doesn't slow down his momentum so much, maybe add a little stun(ONLY a little), and buff the damage up by 2-3%. I like the old hammer, but I'd be lieing if I said it wasn't a bad move.

Pleather

Smash Cadet
This looks like a great project, I can't wait till its release. After reading just the first page though, I realized I really don't want to read through 5 pages of text, so I won't. I apologize if anything I say has already been brought up beforehand.

Zairs, and items allowed for aerial glidetosses. By rapidly pressing Z during the startup of the air dodge, your character gains a momentum boost in that direction and goes into zair or item throw.
Sounds fun. With zair, you can probably use the momentum boost very effectively to dodge, combo, etc. But with item throws, can you receive a momentum boost in one direction yet throw in another, like conventional glide tossing is now?

Meteor Canceling Window altered to less than 25 frames, non-spammable upB press. [Note-this code is work in progress]
I know it says the code isn't done, but are you guys getting rid of Meteor Canceling with jumps or what? I'm a little confused there. If you aren't, then I think you should make tap-jump non-spammable as well, if you haven't already.

Character Changes (more to come):
The character changes are just plain awesome, IMHO.

Is this going to replace Brawl+?
No.
Although I didn't read the entire thread, I saw someone worried about this, and I think they have reason to worry. I don't really want B+ to die, but it looks like many people currently playing B+ really wanted something more like melee 2.0, and they're going to get it. Either way, I hope both projects continue to prosper.

And as far as Ike's linear gameplay... Well.. I haven't given it much thought, but maybe you can extend on the "sword throwing" action going on with his up+b. Sadly, all of his moves seem to be valuable in at least a small way, so I can't easily pick out a replaceable one.

Oh, this is could easily be too far out there in terms of coding, but you could give him some sort of impaling move, halfway between a grab and regular attack, kind of like Gannon's side B or something, but with some sort of additional twist. Oh! You could use the sword animation from his nuetral B to impale someone into the ground. Then Ike could rip it back out and kick the opponent away or something (using his f throw animation?). It's a good thing this doesn't have to be approved by the ESRB, :].

I recall reading somewhere that it isn't yet possible to make a character damage themselves like pichu, but maybe you can input some sort of poison mechanic, akin to the effect that that flower item has on damage. Or maybe make one of Ike's moves induce the preexisting stamina (or rather lack of, I guess) mechanic, from PT, on the opponent for a short time.

Snap, that was much more enjoyable than I originally thought it would be, I got a little carried away, haha. Sorry it's so long.

Well, all in all, I'm awaiting project M, and sincerely hope it isn't too hard for my nooby brawl-level tech-skill.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Actually, all you would have to do is change the translation of Kirby's TransN bone(I think) so that he moves foward/backwards....
It'll be a fair deal more complicated than that, methinks. After all, for suicide throws, Kirby needs to plummet downwards after missing the ground, which his current bthrow/fthrow does not do.

I'd guess that you will at the very least need to have a Action at least partly devoted to suicide throws. I believe if Kirby is treated as "in the air" at any point, the grab will break, as grabs tend to do when they become in the air.

The only thing I could see working would be, in the middle of the fthrow/bthrow subaction,

Change Action: NewActionWhatever#

And in NewActionWhatever#,

08000100: 0-1 (allows you to leave the stage by going off the edges)
Timer = when Kirby would normally hit the ground
If: In Air
--Change Subaction: NewSubactionForSuicideThrow#
End If

And in NewSubactionForSuicideThrow would be a new animation that has Kirby plummet.

Of course the above is all theory and there are a number of things that could go wrong.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Couldnt it be that in the downwards animation we slow the animation down like x0.0001 but increasing the downwards velocity with a loop.

Yeah the air thing still is a problem I think.

But I can say to you the following:

Take MK.

Vs. XY

Go on Skyworld.

Dashgrab him when he is at the right edge... (On the "base" of the stage)... then Up-Throw... ;)

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
It'll be a fair deal more complicated than that, methinks. After all, for suicide throws, Kirby needs to plummet downwards after missing the ground, which his current bthrow/fthrow does not do.
But if his f/bthrow animations are changed so that he doesn't hit the ground when he is close enough to the ledge, wouldn't he plummet downwards anyways? Both of these animations move him downwards, so if he doesn't contact the ground....

For example of what I'm talking about, use Meta Knight(or maybe Kirby) at Sky World. Stand all the way to the left, as close to the ledge as you possibly can. Grab someone and use his uthrow. It'll hit the bottom of the left platform and move him slightly towards the left, forcing him to plummet down to the death line. I don't think this was an intended effect by the programmers, but it happens. If we change Kirby's animations, it should do the same thing. I don't think all of that coding is necessary.

But then again, I could be wrong. But we won't know until someone does a test.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
But if his f/bthrow animations are changed so that he doesn't hit the ground when he is close enough to the ledge, wouldn't he plummet downwards anyways? Both of these animations move him downwards, so if he doesn't contact the ground....

For example of what I'm talking about, use Meta Knight(or maybe Kirby) at Sky World. Stand all the way to the left, as close to the ledge as you possibly can. Grab someone and use his uthrow. It'll hit the bottom of the left platform and move him slightly towards the left, forcing him to plummet down to the death line. I don't think this was an intended effect by the programmers, but it happens. If we change Kirby's animations, it should do the same thing. I don't think all of that coding is necessary.

But then again, I could be wrong. But we won't know until someone does a test.
Upthrow, I'm not certain how it functions. It should be much easier to make into a suicide throw, I'd guess. Perhaps a mere 08000100: 0-1 would do it, even.

However, I'm pretty sure the moment his fthrow or bthrow leave the ground the grab will break. It may be possible to find what makes uthrow unique and apply it to his other throws, thuogh.

shanus

Smash Hero
Eldiran, do you think you'd be able to give the kirby change a whirl?

Work this week definitely kicked up, so I didnt get to make as much progress as I'd have hoped. However, I think I'll have a nice working on float cancel done tonight :)

@ All other comments, I'll try and come back later and respond, especially concerning names. The choice of this name is a seeming coincidence, but maybe upon release I might change it. However, I do like it somewhat since it sounds ****** ;-)

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
Eh maybe it's me, but I think having Brawl first in the title would give a bad impression in this case.

My suggestion:
SSBM2.Brawl

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Since there's no real Melee player in here I guess I can fill that void.

Please, for the love of god keep Kirbys hammer as is. It is completely useless in Melee.

And are you guys going to change the camera to how it is in Melee? The Brawl camera sucks >_>.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Since there's no real Melee player in here I guess I can fill that void.

Please, for the love of god keep Kirbys hammer as is. It is completely useless in Melee.

And are you guys going to change the camera to how it is in Melee? The Brawl camera sucks >_>.
What's wrong with the Brawl camera?
And for the record, I don't play Brawl any more.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Eldiran, do you think you'd be able to give the kirby change a whirl?
Sure, I'll give it a go. If you don't mind, I may or may not also pass the resultant files to B-, which would also probably like these moves to be able to suicide.

We'll see if I can get it to work at all, at least.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
What's wrong with the Brawl camera?
And for the record, I don't play Brawl any more.
I saw a video comparing them a very long time ago, but I don't know how to find it again. Basically, the Brawl camera doesn't shift far enough when the characters face opposite directions, turn around, or reach the edge of the stage compared to the Melee camera.

shanus

Smash Hero
Sure, I'll give it a go. If you don't mind, I may or may not also pass the resultant files to B-, which would also probably like these moves to be able to suicide.

We'll see if I can get it to work at all, at least.
No problem, 100% fine with me. Appreciate it :)

If it does require significant pac editting, please let me know what i'll need to alter so that I don't need to bother you with using a specific pac :)

Thanks Eldiran!

shanus

Smash Hero
Yes, although if I did figure out how to tether walls, that would be pretty epic as well :-O.

Regarding kirby's hammer, I couldn't imagine reverting it considering how much better the current iteration is.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
What is the plan for stages? I've basically just fixed Hyrule Temple enough to make it tournament legal. I'll toss up some stuff in the Stage Hacking Thread in a bit.

shanus

Smash Hero
What is the plan for stages? I've basically just fixed Hyrule Temple enough to make it tournament legal. I'll toss up some stuff in the Stage Hacking Thread in a bit.
Can you post any good stuff you made here?

I haven't gotten to try your melee fixed FD yet, but I would love to use that.

Also, I shared my idea for a fixed spear pillar. I also plan to use a lot of the other fixes from the thread.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Have you ever played teams with it? It can't keep everything on camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIwx5AWgF4

here's the vid hotdogturtle was talking about.
I don't know, I have less complaints about the Brawl camera than the Melee camera (especially in doubles). Being behind the stock icons happens a lot in Melee doubles, and that's annoying.

Well, I think both are fine and the Brawl one doesn't need changing. I'll leave it at that.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I don't know, I have less complaints about the Brawl camera than the Melee camera (especially in doubles). Being behind the stock icons happens a lot in Melee doubles, and that's annoying.

Well, I think both are fine and the Brawl one doesn't need changing. I'll leave it at that.
How is it better in teams???

It can't even keep all of the action on screen and the characters are slow as hell. Do you really think it would keep up with Melees speed?

Revven

FrankerZ
How is it better in teams???

It can't even keep all of the action on screen and the characters are slow as hell. Do you really think it would keep up with Melees speed?
1000x this, my eyes hurt trying to keep up in teams when I'm watching people play. It doesn't bother me when I'M playing but, it does become a pain to keep track of where everyone is in doubles.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Here's what the stage is, basically.

Download here.
Changed:
  • All collision data for platforms other than that focused on in the screenshot has been moved outside of the blast zones - Effectively gone.
  • Fall-through platform in middle of stage is not fall-through any more. (You can still go up through it though, have fun!
  • Tiny Platform under the ex-fall-through platform has removed collision.
  • All character starting locations, item spawn points, Final Smash locations (Exception: Ice Climbers, who refuse to move but are still decent) are fixed.

What needs to be done:
Graphic stuff -
  • Removal/movement of right hand side of stage elsewhere.
  • Removal/movement of bottom half of stage elsewhere.
  • Movement of tiny platform under middle of stage. (Note: Collision is gone, but graphics aren't.)

If anybody wants to do the graphics, they'll have my appreciation.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I dislike melee a lot for the limited tourney-viable character selection and ugly stages but this looks pretty fun. Will balancing have the same focus that brawl+ does?

shanus

Smash Hero
I dislike melee a lot for the limited tourney-viable character selection and ugly stages but this looks pretty fun. Will balancing have the same focus that brawl+ does?
It will be an obvious focus, however the first release will not be nearly as fine tuned as well, we just added about 50 mechanics into the game ;-)

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
I will just love, if they try to first base every character (melee cast) to their melee way, in every aspect, then after testing, we can bring balance and stuff in, we don't need to rush into balancing it first

not everyone, but some people would love to see exactly melee fox vs exaclty melee falco vs Snake and Mk (or maybe thats me XD)

and Peach DownSmash in melee isn't that broken :S only if you try to CC it or don't properly DI it)

and... I would love if... they can emulate Ganon to he's melee self, and bowser, so I can try them vs:

Melee Fox vs Melee Bowser (in Melee 2.0)

I want to see, if bowser will get the same **** he does in melee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom