• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Fox and falco can ride the underside of the lip on Battlefield in melee. (Sneak's vid that he posted shows it)
*sigh*

Okay, people need to learn how to theorycraft better. They leave out very important points.

Think of the position that spacies are normally put in when they are hit off the ledge at low percents. They're normally close to the ledge and under ledge height when their hitstun wears off. So their options are.

1. Use their second jump to try to grab the ledge
2. Jump backwards and side B.
3. Up B

Of course they can do some shine stalling or wall jump shenanigans on some stages, but those three options are just what they will be doing most of the time.

Up B is actually a decent option if you can position yourself because it's hard for some characters to go off stage, hit you, and recover. It's especially convenient if the only way they can hit you would be sending you towards a wall for an easy tech. Battlefield takes away this option because you can just hit them under the stage without any fear of them teching. From there it's easy to just recover to the edge and edgehog them to prevent any form of recovery from that position

Of course, that's only if you chose to go offstage in the first place. Battlefield takes away the ability to ride up a side wall to sweetspot the ledge, forcing spacies to recover at a very obvious angle from many positions. You can even tell if they're going to sweetspot or not by just by looking at the distance that they started their up B at (it's that obvious).

Sneak's vid rarely applies in matches because if their already in such a terrible position then they're just going to be edgeguarded and die anyway.

edit: oops, I didn't intent to make a wall of text lol

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
the models have been shrunk in P:M. why would you talk about size in vbrawl when you're asking for a size change in p:m? its an unnecessary statement to add.

i understand your reasoning, but your wording leaves a lot to be desired.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Fox and falco can ride the underside of the lip on Battlefield in melee. (Sneak's vid that he posted shows it)
It's a cute video but there is no opponent in the vid. I know people who use that to recover and there is a super advanced technique that puts an end to Battlefield wall-ride. It's called WD grab the ledge. :laugh:

Is there any way to make the stages smaller? An issue with some of my friends about brawl is that unlike melee the characters are too big. There's barely any space on the stages to battle lol
Thats why the characters are being/have been resized.

Hanzeen

Smash Rookie
Oh, sorry. Didn't notice that :p

Also, when ganondorf/captain falcon when they lose their double jump off the platform that they do the falcon kick thingy and they get back their double jump, is that gonna be brought back as well?

G

genkaku

What characters are most affected by what little universal things have yet to be corrected, say landing detection and the like?
I don't believe I've heard anyone mentioned specificaly besides Falco, but I'm curious.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Everybody is effected a little bit. Ganondorf can't stop through platforms like he used to, for example. Link struggles with extremely short characters, and can only really hit them with aerial approaches via Nair.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Dr Peepee: "Uh...I have no comment about that either."
Dr Peepee: "chuckle"
Dr Peepee: "No don't do that! No. Erase that! Erase...at least erase that!"
Dr Peepee: "luhhyou stingers"

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Sorry I'm new to smashboards, and no, I'm not from "GFAQs", I heard about it from a friend and looked it up on smash wiki.
Yes, it is indeed named "vertical spacing" on smashwiki, and I always wondered why that name since I saw it more than a year ago in the wiki. I mean, it's vertical, okay, but there's nothing to do with spacing lol

Well, the Melee Battlefield edges are somewhat glitchy, sometimes when you are obviously too far away to grab the edge, you grab it, and sometime when you are too close you just don't grab. It's like a disjointed ledge grab hitbox LOL

but anyway, transforming Brawl BF ledges com the thin ledges from Melee BF wouldn't be bad. That's not a decision for us at all.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Dr Peepee: "Who said that?"
stingers: "Jcaeser."
Dr Peepee: "Darn it!"
Dr Peepee: "What are you typing?"
Dr Peepee: "Erase that! :cry:"
Dr Peepee: "I'm getting on there and..."
Dr Peepee: "uh..."
Dr Peepee: "Let me log in! :cry:"
Dr Peepee: "stingers is my best friend in the whole wide world, and he would never say anything bad about me or try to make me look bad."
Dr Peepee: "No comment."

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
i play vs a shiek alot so my ability to recover on bf is still really good as fox and alot of the same recovery tactics work vs marth. and you can still wall tech the ledge. I guess it depends on the player but bf is my main cp as spacies

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Though I haven't played Project M much, I'm not particularly happy with what I have played so far. I feel like a lot of the mechanics that are supposed to be very similar to Melee's are just different enough to make me feel like I can't do much.

I could just be crazy and be too used to playing Brawl with Stongers at this point....

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
Well landing detection hasn't been fixed yet, and I imagine that could be throwing you off quite a bit as a Falco player.

What in specific bothered you?

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Landing detection is still like brawl's, and the camera isn't perfect yet. Not to mention that no character is completely done yet. Falco, Fox, Marth my brain and Sheik are all almost done but not perfected yet.

Not to mention that the balancing phase hasn't come yet, and the project is still in alpha stage. It's kinda like complaining that your food at a restaurant is bad before it even gets to your table.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
It's unreasonable to expect it to feel exactly like Melee already. As mentioned, the landing detection is the main problem, and the throws are pretty bad too.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Dad gum, landing detection and throws have been problems for too long. Someone please volunteer to have no life for a day or two and fix these shenanigans.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Dad gum, landing detection and throws have been problems for too long. Someone please volunteer to have no life for a day or two and fix these shenanigans.
They have been TRYING to fix the PROBLEMS. It's not as easy as you imply it is. You can't just figure out the problem really quickly and just change it so everything's all fine. It's more complicated then that.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
I was wondering one thing while playing MGS the Twin Snakes earlier.

Are you going "fix" Snake 's weight(which I guess is possible, I don't know)? I mean, it doesn't make sense he being the third super heavyweight when he should've be in a weight value near to Captain Falcon (he's taller so I guess he may be heavier than Falcon, but not too much).

Well, Bowser weighs over 200 kg (I don't know the correspondent to pounds), Snake I think that is near de 80~90 kg.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I won't lie. When I tested out Marth I felt a little bit Mind *****. The range actually isn't as off as it looked so thats good. However the Side-B didn't stall didn't work and Grabs didn't work the same. However the grab attacks where funny as hell. Grab, 1000000 knees, release, repeat.:chuckle:

@ Fireball Star

I kind of feel like Snake could be a bit like Falcon weight. I don't see the reason for him to be a super heavyweight when he's suppose to be a stealthy character in MGS.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
I was wondering one thing while playing MGS the Twin Snakes earlier.

Are you going "fix" Snake 's weight(which I guess is possible, I don't know)? I mean, it doesn't make sense he being the third super heavyweight when he should've be in a weight value near to Captain Falcon (he's taller so I guess he may be heavier than Falcon, but not too much).

Well, Bowser weighs over 200 kg (I don't know the correspondent to pounds), Snake I thinks that is near de 80~90 kg.
yes it has been changed

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
If you think it's a task that just requires large amounts of menial labor, you are gravely mistaken.

Snake doesn't weigh as much as he did in Brawl.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I won't lie. When I tested out Marth I felt a little bit Mind *****. The range actually isn't as off as it looked so thats good. However the Side-B didn't stall didn't work and Grabs didn't work the same. However the grab attacks where funny as hell. Grab, 1000000 knees, release, repeat.:chuckle:
1.) They're working on making it so Marth doesn't hold his sword at a weird angle (which is why his range is shorter in brawl)
2.) StrongBad is working on getting side b to help recovery like it did in Melee (I assume that's what you mean)
3.) Marth's grab range is being restored, and obviously throws are still being worked on.
4.) Marth's pummel speed in P:M is the same as it was in Melee. (according to Strongbad, anyways), not to mention, you can't (or at least aren't supposed to be able to) infinite chaingrab release in P:M.

Revven

FrankerZ
Marth is... not done lol.

Though I haven't played Project M much, I'm not particularly happy with what I have played so far. I feel like a lot of the mechanics that are supposed to be very similar to Melee's are just different enough to make me feel like I can't do much.

I could just be crazy and be too used to playing Brawl with Stongers at this point....
As said before, timing for a lot of Melee techniques are off because of SCD (stage collision detection, the technical term for landing detection). In Melee, characters landed on their knees, in Brawl they land on their feet so a lot things are either harder to do or are easier (depends on what you're trying to do). Falco platform laser drops for example may seem harder because he lands earlier rather than later.

Marth is largely undone too.

shanus

Smash Hero
Marth hasn't been touched yet as all of his animations need edits, and that is a ...lot... of work. Basically he was playing with like brawl/brawl+ marth in PM

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
1.) They're working on making it so Marth doesn't hold his sword at a weird angle (which is why his range is shorter in brawl)
2.) StrongBad is working on getting side b to help recovery like it did in Melee (I assume that's what you mean)
3.) Marth's grab range is being restored, and obviously throws are still being worked on.
4.) Marth's pummel speed in P:M is the same as it was in Melee. (according to Strongbad, anyways), not to mention, you can't (or at least aren't supposed to be able to) infinite chaingrab release in P:M.
1) I heard. I remember bringing it up awhile back a few times.
2)yes that is what I mean
3)Nice. Still I think DDD will own Marth's range. At least it should anyways. I know everythings not in yet.
4)The pumble speed was over 9000 last time I played Marth. However that was in July before it was fixed I think.

Marth is... not done lol. Marth is largely undone too.
I Know this. I think people forget I've been following this since late December, early January. I've seen people join and leave/lose interest. I'm some what of a veteran the this project I suppose. :psycho:

I know it's a bit unfair to the rest of the cast. However I think an epic amount of focus should go to fixing top tiers. Since the Majority of Melee player use Top/High tier characters anyway >_>. Thats just my opinion though. I wouldn't want someone to pick up Marth and be like. "Project Melee sucks" because that would be kinda lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom