• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I just saw Javi beat Leffen on the Melee stream, so I can say with confidence that Fox beats Fox.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Darn! Yet another MU that failed to go even with Fox.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Well, not 100% correct. The invitational had the size of a local, but Melee and P:M high and top level international players were the only contestants. As such, one could say that it was a small tourney with the skill cap and competition of a regional or even a national.

Edit: And it'll be hard to get "half the cast" represented at ONE tourney by high level players.
There are also probably some good unknown players that could have competed as well. You never know, anyone could be on the rise in PM due to new matchups and other things. Only time will tell.

Edit: Since it was an invitational, it implies you have to be somewhat well known and good to be invited.

:phone:

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
That stage looks amazing. I would love if it were to be in PM.

Also, all this Shroomed hype makes me hope Dr. Mario makes it in as his own character in PM. I know Mario has most of his good qualities, but still.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
quick a tournament happened everyone talk about tiers
Wario>All

There are also probably some good unknown players that could have competed as well. You never know, anyone could be on the rise in PM due to new matchups and other things. Only time will tell.

Edit: Since it was an invitational, it implies you have to be somewhat well known and good to be invited.

Plup beats Hbox...doesn't get invited....being good doesn't really matter in an invitational if you aren't KNOWN to be good. lol

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
All that is true, but the fact that it was indeed an invitational also acted as insurance that only good players will be in the bracket, even though the tourney was quite small. To achieve similar success with a non-invitation only tourney, it would have to be a much larger tourney. Of course, I'm more for an open-to-everyone tourney; I'm simply defending the validity of the results gained from this one. Besides, it was the PMBR who said that they would be collecting "feedback" from this invitational, so the results have to stand for something.

Edit: Plup is pretty well-known to be good in Melee (Hbox personally made sure of that), but he isn't so well-known in P:M.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Wario>All

Plup beats Hbox...doesn't get invited....being good doesn't really matter in an invitational if you aren't KNOWN to be good. lol
True, but I was just stating something. Well known skilled players are more likely to attract viewers than good unknown players. Simply because your average players will feel like they didn't get an accurate understanding of how c lose PM. They feel as though the top players should dominate as handily as they do in melee regardless of new matchups and players.

While this is mostly true, it does undermine new player on the rise because if the player succeeds they call bs and state the game isn't like melee. If it was (insert pro player here) wouldn't have lost to (insert unknown/lesser known player name here).

It really is unfortunate.

Edit: regardless, there was some very good competition at the invitational. There is no taking away from that.

JOE!

Smash Hero
While this is mostly true, it does undermine new player on the rise because if the player succeeds they call bs and state the game isn't like melee. If it was (insert pro player here) wouldn't have lost to (insert unknown/lesser known player name here).

It really is unfortunate.

Isn't this going to be a problem for a long time however? Due to characters being on a more even playing field, even good players from melee would have trouble against a good newcomer using a previously bad or new character, and if the newcomer wins vs the melee vet who isn't as dominating... well the johns come out.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Oh. So I guess I was wrong about Mario. I feel like an idiot now. ._. I just usually play characters with quiet and/or no jump noises I guess.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Congratulations to Reflex for taking the invitational! Really looking forward to the videos. I'm particularly interested in Wizzrobe's Sonic play :p But yeah, mad props to Reflex for being such an intelligent player :D

Next stop.. G3NESIS. Who's going?? ;D

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Congratulations to Reflex for taking the invitational! Really looking forward to the videos. I'm particularly interested in Wizzrobe's Sonic play :p But yeah, mad props to Reflex for being such an intelligent player :D

Next stop.. G3NESIS. Who's going?? ;D
Is PM going to be at Genesis?

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Isn't this going to be a problem for a long time however? Due to characters being on a more even playing field, even good players from melee would have trouble against a good newcomer using a previously bad or new character, and if the newcomer wins vs the melee vet who isn't as dominating... well the johns come out.
That's the negative side of things.

The positive side is that those players are giving you feedback of what they feel is too powerful such as certain recoveries and what they think feels like Melee and what doesn't.

It's a john if they blame the game for losing when they probably just lack match up experience.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That's the negative side of things.

The positive side is that those players are giving you feedback of what they feel is too powerful such as certain recoveries and what they think feels like Melee and what doesn't.

It's a john if they blame the game for losing when they probably just lack match up experience.
Lack of matchup experience is a john too. "I just lost because I didn't have time to learn the character." The only excuse for losing is that you got outplayed by your opponent because they made better decisions in the set than you.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
You didn't necessarily get outplayed if you didn't know your opponent's char's options due to said lack in MU experience. That's a fine line.....
Well, since the new characters haven't been out for nearly as long as Melee, the matchup experience is far more limited. This goes both ways, to an extent.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Ok, you guys are talking about the players complaining. I'm referring to the fan base.

I am assuming higher level players will try not to John much unless something is overly ridiculous.

Oracle

Smash Master
Yea....well there was a good amount of high level player in the invitational....however, there are about 20 = players or potentially better players that I could name off hand who were not invited/didn't enter....so...idk it is what it is.
Reflex would most likely smash whoever you listed lol. We're talking about a guy who doesn't always switch from wario in the D3 matchup in brawl and doesn't even camp

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Reflex would most likely smash whoever you listed lol. We're talking about a guy who doesn't always switch from wario in the D3 matchup in brawl and doesn't even camp
Biased much? Lol

Though he is really good, on a serious note.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I don't think I ever see Reflex switch between Wario/PT due to matchups. He doesn't play both characters cuz he needs to cover his bad MUs. He plays both characters, cuz he enjoys both characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom