• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Tomorrow is our birthday! :D We'll be streaming tomorrow as well. :)
Happy almost birthday! I hope you guys have a really good day!

Also, I randomly decided to play Charizard yesterday. It's really difficult to kill people off the side with aerial moves. I guess that problem is solved with side b and stuff but meh.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Yeah, I will. There's no question about that.

I just don't like having to compete for viewers, especially against a cool customer like JC who has 9000 subscribers :p

My stream will feature big names like Silentwolf, Bladewise, Sion, Toph, etc etc though, so I dunno, maybe it'll get a fair amount as well. JC is just too cool to compete for viewers against :<
just remind me the day of to promote your stream, I'll shout you out

metroid1117

Smash Master
That's funny because our project m tournament is on July 14

here's a facebook page for it if anyone hasn't seen it http://www.facebook.com/events/439893449362270/
Hey, can you post in your thread and get the details behind the ruleset up? There's basically no hype for this tournament on Smashboards even though there's a decent amount of activity on Facebook.

Also, I didn't know that it was your tournament! I'm looking forward to meeting you... assuming I can find a ride. (I'm Brian, by the way.)

`dazrin

Smash Champion
just remind me the day of to promote your stream, I'll shout you out
Wow, you are freakin amazing. LOL

Seriously, really appreciate it! :D

Our P:M event will most likely now be happening on the 22nd. We may be able to fit it into the 21st, but since melee and brawl will happen on that day, we may not be able to secure enough TVs for everyone. I'm expecting P:M to happen on the 22nd, but we'll see how it goes. It'll probably be better if its on the 22nd though, so it doesn't clash with JC's stream and we get all the TV's. Not to mention The stream on the 21st will be all melee, and the 22nd will be all P:M, rather than switching between the two.

iLink

Smash Champion
Hey, can you post in your thread and get the details behind the ruleset up? There's basically no hype for this tournament on Smashboards even though there's a decent amount of activity on Facebook.

Also, I didn't know that it was your tournament! I'm looking forward to meeting you... assuming I can find a ride. (I'm Brian, by the way.)
Oh no lol this isnt my tournament, im just helping the guy promote it. When I said our, I meant our area. I'll ask him about the ruleset and stuff tomorrow.

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Happy Birthday you guys. Sorry I wasn't awake for your last stream, but if you stream again I'll be there.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
That was the depression talking. I've been trying to live my life without treatment, but I've come to the conclusion that I just can't do it anymore.

When I'm actually in a decent mindset, smash is enjoyable.

:phone:

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323308&page=4

I think this page needs to be read by members of the backroom. What does buffer even accomplish by being in the game? Makes it easier for brawl players to get use to the melee type game play of not having a buffer? Seems to just cause strife in the community and an area of unneeded argument.

That back and fourth is between Reflex, a brawl player that won a Georgia PM tourney with 29 entrants 2 weeks ago, and KO a melee/PM player who placed third at that same tourney. What really stood out to me is the TO said that buffer was banned in the tourney posting, but when Reflex played he was using a 50 buffer and the TO let him because Reflex said it was the only way he was going to play. Take from that event what you will.

tl:dr

Brawl players can get use to 0 buffer by simply playing the game. I think the "because melee" phrase should be thrown at the question of why buffer was removed if it being left in the game is just going to cause arguments in the community.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
We're leaving it in for Demo 2.1. It's ultimately up to TO discretion at the moment, although we expect most will have it off.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
There's absolutely ZERO evidence showing that allowing buffer is detrimental to game play. If there was, why is it in literally every fighting game EXCEPT for Melee?

In other news, I played a butt ton of Ike. I won most of the games I played, but it wasn't easy. Seems like only time I really got things going with him was when Oksas messed up.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
guarantee you there's no fighting game that lets you choose between 0 and 10 frames of buffer

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well gee strong bad thanks for the clarification on something he wasn't talking about at all

the issue isnt customization of your buffer, its having buffer at all. and hes right, nearly every other fighting game does have some degree of buffer.

Gimpel

Smash Cadet
melee had buffer for spotdodges and rolls if I'm not mistaken.
I'm not entirely against buffer but I would like to see the option to have buffer to be gone in demo 3. It doesn't really work as a learning tool and only leads to these discussions that lead nowhere.
It would be fine if the PMBR decided to universally put in buffer, so that everyone would still play the same game. Right now, you would have to adjust from tournament to tournament to play with buffer or without, because while there is a trade-off, playing without buffer at a tournament where buffer is allowed will put you at a disadvantage.
It's also not even easy to switch between using buffer and using no buffer, because you can use an ENTIRELY different timing to wavedash when using 3 or 4 frames of buffer and you will eventually get used to that easier timing after playing for a few hours. Readjusting every time you play the game (as intended) without buffer would be a pain.
Luckily, there are no tournaments allowing buffer yet, but it would really help to just have the option to have buffer removed in demo 3 so this stupid discussion can finally end.

Personally, I have nothing against buffer in a game, as long as it doesn't split the community and doesn't allow things to be done more consistently that are balanced around being hard to do, like multishines.
I personally would be fine with buffer for:
-Dashing after landing lag
-A-button-attacks after other A-button-actions (dsmash after dash attack, up tilt after ledge-attack etc.)
-Aerials during jump start up (NOT specials, to prevent easy multishining to break the game)
-Not 100 % sure on this but air dodges during jump start up (aka frame 1 wave dashes), so that wavedashing smart and in the correct situations becomes more important than the action itself. This, however, definitely lowers the tech skill needed so I'm not sure. Another point for adding buffer for that is that it makes wavedashing easier for people who main two characters with different jump start up.

Anyway, I only want this kind of buffer when it is not optional and I can definitely see why the PMBR would go the melee route and not add any buffer except for dodges/rolls (and I would definitely be fine with that as well), I just don't think having the option to play with buffer in the game accomplishes anything

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I haven't tried playing with buffer, but if I were to host a PM tourney, I'd probably allow buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom