• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
i can understand your point but as I said earlier this is project M. Turning tripping into what plum suggested is the best idea at the moment imo. But we'll have to wait and see what the team will do

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
true
I'm gonna assume youre a brawl player
I'm a mele player
for you project m is melee with some brawl elements
for me project m should be as close to melee as possible with new characters and stages
hopefully this is a project that leaves both sides happy and from what i've seen so far I think it will

D

Deleted member

Not to beat an old horse, but...

Tripping as a reward mechanic would be nice from its previous run as random results from down tilts or something. IIRC, tripping gives little or no invincibility frames upon occurring compared to teching which gives more.

Tripping being % based or spacing based results from moves would be really nice. Like a scenario where Zelda gets a trip off her quick dsmash into combos until KO/edgeguard % where it gives a tech opportunity or an aerial hit path depending on DI.

Non random tripping could be promising and incorporated into the vast array of options that rich characters get in Melee 2.0.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
it's an interesting concept, one that I wouldn't be completely opposed to but one that I prefer stays out

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Techable tripping would add some tech skill which would be meleeish. And Diddy being quick could still tech chase. So I'd be happy with that.

*yay first post*

D

Deleted member

Techable tripping is just teching.

You get hit, go into hitstun, and then tech...

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Okay...

There's only ONE thing that needs to be done to tripping to make it more appropriate in a Melee world: make it techable. There is no need to, in addition to techable tripping, speed up the tripping animation.

Speeding up the tripping animation rewards those who didn't have the skill to tech. Teching a trip would allow the quick speed of a natural techchase, either in place, or a roll. The tripee SHOULD be punished with the regular tripping mechanics if and only if they FAIL to tech the nanner induced trip. Let's not forget that unlike most other techable moves you see tripping coming from a mile away-- even if it happens fast. That is, if you see a nanner on the ground and by the graces of God you manage to stumble upon it then you deserve to trip--- however you'd likely be MORE than ready to tech it anway. The same can be said from thrown nannerz. One can assume that if Diddy has a nanner-in-hand then he's going to throw it at you soon enough. Basically, my point is that nannerz represent visual trips, rarely are they unexpected, as such you should be ready to tech the trip more often than not.

Of course, teching the trip is beneficial becuase it provides more options, and speed. Never a bad thing.

I agree that tripping should be removed from EVERY move in the game save for Diddy's nannerz.

Ignore typos. Drinking + iPod may very well equal fail! :D

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering something... For L-cancel's flash effect you guys put in, does it only show as long as you don't do anything else after? I mean: l-cancel a bair and just land = white flash, l-cancel and move immediately and little/no flash (from what I saw in the Lucas/Ness vid). Does it stop when you perform another action?

shanus

Smash Hero
Just wondering something... For L-cancel's flash effect you guys put in, does it only show as long as you don't do anything else after? I mean: l-cancel a bair and just land = white flash, l-cancel and move immediately and little/no flash (from what I saw in the Lucas/Ness vid). Does it stop when you perform another action?
it happens for a set number off frames always less than the lowest l-canceled move. Its just hard to notice in some situations, but very visible when yu get used to it

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ok well i brought this up before, but i got zero replies *sadface

i also don't know how to explain it well so i'm just gonna use cpt. Falcon and falco as an example.
So let's say Falcon side b's falco twice in a row.....what is it that makes falco come out of hitstun almost as soon as the second side b hits him?? (therefore being able to punish Falcon almost immediately)

this isn't in Brawl is it? isn't this very important??
isn't comboing/juggling very easy to do without this?? *cough cough Brawl+??*

(sry if its something obvious but its been buggin me)!
That happens because after Falco lands and is in the "hitting the ground" animation (as they usually don't tech... if they do tech then the second Raptor Boost likely won't work), Falcon hits him with a Raptor Boost. This works similarly to a jab reset; Falco does not go into the tumble animation but is still sent upward by the Raptor Boost's knockback.

This very rarely happens in tournament, and really has little effect on match-ups. This likely won't be in Project M. It won't change comboing/juggling by much at all.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Melee's. It has a lot more use. We haven't been able to add the bite in yet though.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Ness with speed up would be ridiculous, have you not already seen how fast Ness can move? Hahaha

Lucas is really really good. His low air game is incredibly quick and versatile. All of his moves have combo setups and applications, so much so that you need to experiment in spamming all of them just to explore the possibilities. He can nair into a shield on an arch so that you land behind the opponent and then pk ice the back of their shield while propelling to safety. It feels almost like melee Falco.
Also I'm not sure if you guys just forgot to mention this but having directional airdodge into a zair that hits is awesomesauce.

If most/all project M characters end up like this I will be very pleased. There is some real depth to be explored in Lucas.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Melee's. It has a lot more use. We haven't been able to add the bite in yet though.
I had a thought, take it for what you will. Braw's Bowsercide is very useful and applicable; I think it would compliment Bowser's game in a Melee environment. So I had a thought.

Koopa Claw in Melee, excluding the bite, had two attacks; the shove when pressing forward, and the epic toss when pressed back. What if you worked it so that he could Bowsercide on top of these two if you pressed the stick down, or up?

Just thought I'd chime that in. It'd be a shame to see a suicide move for Bowser go to waste.

Rikana

Smash Champion
DeLoRtEd1 and Minus, Where in Toronto do you guys live? I can tag along for some Project M as well. I have Melee experience so it'll be fun. There's quite a few Brawl+ torontonians that play too so we can all meet up if anything. You're, DeLoRtEd1, at UofT so its not that far at all since I go downtown for school as well.

D

Deleted member

I think the Koopa Klaw was planned to have at least the 2 from Melee and his Bowsercide. Maybe even a dthrow, but not sure about that.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I had a thought, take it for what you will. Braw's Bowsercide is very useful and applicable; I think it would compliment Bowser's game in a Melee environment. So I had a thought.

Koopa Claw in Melee, excluding the bite, had two attacks; the shove when pressing forward, and the epic toss when pressed back. What if you worked it so that he could Bowsercide on top of these two if you pressed the stick down, or up?

Just thought I'd chime that in. It'd be a shame to see a suicide move for Bowser go to waste.
Apparently I was mistaken and just didn't know we were actually trying this. xD
We just haven't been able to get both to work together.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
thanks for the reply Strong_Bad. it does seem to be associated with the "hitting the ground" animation.

but i don't understand how you say it won't affect the combo/juggling game much. without this, wouldn't it allow for combos to start from early %'s(0%) since if they miss the tech, and during the "hit the ground" animation they get hit again, they are gonna get the full affect of the second attacks hitstun?? making it easier to combo from earlier %'s

(i might just be over thinking this but i do think it's somewhat important)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
But that generally doesn't happen though. At low percents they generally either don't go into tumble so they don't have to tech, or they're not in hitstun when they reach the ground so...they don't have to tech.

In situations where they DO have to tech, punishing a missed tech with a jab reset is often the best option.

Players don't miss the obvious techs that would cause these kinds of things to happen. The only time this would happen to quickly for someone to tech on reaction would be in teams (still have yet to see this happen), or if they crouch canceled a really quick move, got knocked over while staying grounded, and then immediately got hit by another move during that same bounce animation (which I've seen like 3 times total and all of them involving Falco's uptilt). You don't miss these techs.

Other times I've seen them done is players purposefully missing techs on platforms to escape Marth's uptilt juggle, but nowadays they just DI to the edge of platforms so that they could hit it and slide off to cancel hitstun, rather than relying on this glitch which is more dependent on the attacking player's timing than anything else.

So no, it's not important.

Magus420

Smash Master
It's only relevant on attacks that do less than 7.00%, sends them far enough into the air to combo (many of the moves that do this little damage are just jabs), and is hitting them out of not teching. It really doesn't have nearly as much of an impact on the combo game as you think.

Here's some more detailed info on the mechanics involved: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9872129&postcount=28

Ulevo

Smash Master
I believe this may have been asked before, so I apologize if it has, but is there any consensus on what's being done with stages? Are you guys just going to use Brawl+'s stage edits? Or are you going to be doing something entirely different?

Ulevo

Smash Master
Hellll no to the B+ edits. We're gonna make them as close to Melee as possible.
Does that include aesthetics as well? I noticed the old FD texture style's been used numerous times. Brings the nostalgia back. Are you going to be attempting to edit in the textures for the old stages to? Such as Battlefield, for instance?

Not that it actually matters since people could use their own textures regardless. I'm just curious.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
thx for the replies DS and Magus. Sure cleared things up for me.

very interesting stuff in that post Magus. i always wondered why my opponents would roll when i would jab reset them xDD

now i know the move has to have 12 frames or less of hitstun ^^; arigatouuuuu

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
Hellll no to the B+ edits. We're gonna make them as close to Melee as possible.
does as close to melee as possible mean editing the side of battlefield and fd to make them like melee?

also what about pokemon stadium 1? that stage is a disgrace now

D

Deleted member

DeLoRtEd1 and Minus, Where in Toronto do you guys live? I can tag along for some Project M as well. I have Melee experience so it'll be fun. There's quite a few Brawl+ torontonians that play too so we can all meet up if anything. You're, DeLoRtEd1, at UofT so its not that far at all since I go downtown for school as well.
What school do you go to? Since it's summer and I'm not living on campus right now, it's best to say that Minus and I both live in East York. Beaches.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
ROB's gyro or Peach's turnip?

What could be done with the banana is not make you trip but set the angle so that it hits you downward with just enough force to cause you to 'slam'. Thoughts?

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Just leave the naner and its trip how it is...

Give him only 1 naner though...

Diddy is mad serious about his naner game, so dont take it away, that would somehow remove the special thing about him ._.

As an additional nerf naner throw could only do 1% (Or 0% if its possible)...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
ROB's gyro or Peach's turnip?

What could be done with the banana is not make you trip but set the angle so that it hits you downward with just enough force to cause you to 'slam'. Thoughts?
That's what I wanted to do with nanners. Why create a new mechanic solely for one item projectile when you can do pretty much the same thing with existing mechanics without using that awkward trip animation? All you would need is a downward angle with enough set KB to force tumble, instead of all this "let's making tripping techable!" nonsense. I'm pretty sure I've been outvoted though, so meh, it's not a big deal either way.

humble

Smash Ace
That's what I wanted to do with nanners. Why create a new mechanic solely for one item projectile when you can do pretty much the same thing with existing mechanics without using that awkward trip animation? All you would need is a downward angle with enough set KB to force tumble, instead of all this "let's making tripping techable!" nonsense. I'm pretty sure I've been outvoted though, so meh, it's not a big deal either way.
Lol 10nanner spikes

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
um question about Lucas I seen the video and noticed he gets like power buff but I am wondering does it diminish over time or is there a limit on how many power smashes you can do. Just wondering. or rather how exactly does the rule apply to his power buff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom