• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prima Strategy Guide Tiers

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I just thought of something:
What if this tier list is accurate for the most part, but the community isn't using the characters correctly?
Or more likely, What if the tier list wasn't intended for the highest metagame?

Yes, I know I will be badly flamed for this.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
As I mentioned before, this list was written by one person, who most likely couldn't play against anyone apart from computers because the game had not come out yet. He had been given the game in advance so he could write a guide about it. No official tier list is out yet, but most people have a general idea of where characters place based on the current metagame.

KOdEx

Smash Cadet
I bought the guide only because I like actually having a book instead of looking back in forth between a computer screen, it's easier to read for me and I like the uber cool poster.. I knew the character guides were going to be crap because well he probably played an early build of the game against some random computers. These character guides are proof that either he has no idea what he was talking about or they changed some of the characters before release but probably he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about...

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
When I was reading the guide, I obviously knew that the writer had no idea what the hell he was talking about. Giving Great Aether a "5"?! That's one of the best finals in the game.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I got the guide to double check if I'm doing things right, but I went here because it gave me very little on the best way to play P. Trainer. Said nothing on Squirtle's wall of pain, nor Ivysaur's camping technique, and barely hinted Charizard's brute force style. What's even worse, the guide did not notice that my second, Lucario, gets more powerful when the damage goes up.
Apparently, the **** had never heard of the Smash Dojo.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/hidden06.html
"In Smash Bros., Aura strengthens Lucario’s attacks according to how much damage Lucario has taken. The higher your damage percentage, the stronger your hits will be."

screeddie

Smash Apprentice
I don't even know why I bought this. I think I was way too excited Brawl was finally out (bought the day of release for $10). When I opened it, I was like "wot?". Olimar 5? Meta 6? Tiers based off Final Smashes? -cleans spilled coffee with guide-

Tenki

Smash Hero
Apparently this guide was written before the release of Brawl, and it was one guy playing alone and writing notes while playing against computers and the drones in SSE.
lol if that's true.
gad I hate Sonic's run speed in SSE. I was messing around in SSE for a while trying to complete it, and thought it felt a little sluggish, just to go back to a normal match later and be like "OHCRAP HE'S MOVING TOO FAST!"

This List Is Fully Accurate Except Sonic Should Be High Tier Because Of His Side Taunt!!!1111eleven.
^lol@obligatory YTS reference

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Hmm...let's see...I dunno if Marth is TOP tier...he's certainly high tier but he's not the outright best character in the game...and hey, I'm glad to see Peach is high tier (which as much as I love using Peach, I disagree with) Ness being in middle tier works for me...but Wario in BOTTOM tier?! Are they seriously calling Wario, the freakin juggle master, BOTTOM TIER?!

Oh, and I laughed at Luigi being worse than Mario and Game and Watch being low tier XD

And one more thing...Sonic being over Zelda, G&W, ROB, Meta Knight, Fox, Luigi and Ike made me laugh for a while.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, and the Ice Climbers at Low/Bottom tier? LMFAO.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
I have that guide but everyone here is mad because their character didn't make high tier

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Prima paid Nintendo to send them a copy of Brawl before it even came out. One guy was given the copy to play and write a guide about it perhaps a few months before Brawl's release. On the release date Prima had guides in most game stores and they made a pretty penny off people who thought the guide would help them be better at the game.

These ratings of individual characters were made by a guy who probably played against computers and SSE minions, because I doubt Prima would have let him play with other people.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Why is this list so jacked up?
Even I found out that Ike was definitely not bottom tier, and I only played the game for two hours.
And Lucas is pretty decent, He would need to move up.
If he truly played Melee, he would try stringing attacks together.
Judging characters not by their speed, but by their abilities as a Brawler.

Smash Ace
Yes, exactly. As a lot of people have mentioned, this guy probably had next to no experience with the game when rating these characters. Frankly, our initial impressions were quite a bit off, and we had been analyzing Japanese videos for a month before we got the game. I doubt that he had that advantage. He also, in all probability, wasn't able to discuss characters with other people. It was his one mind against our thousands. Of course we could get a decent list faster. It's not reasonable to expect one person to accurately rate all of the characters in a competitive, multiplayer game without any multiplayer experience.

Don't bash him. Bash the idiots who thought that they could produce a good guide at launch.

Roymyboy284

Smash Journeyman
The need to actually PLAY the game! Here it says:

1. Sonic's spring jump doesn't inflict damage.
2. Lucario's U-Special doea not have any horizontal movement.

Just read it over and highlight every mistake. I'm sure you'll find a few.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The need to actually PLAY the game! Here it says:

1. Sonic's spring jump doesn't inflict damage.
2. Lucario's U-Special doea not have any horizontal movement.

Just read it over and highlight every mistake. I'm sure you'll find a few.
I'm sorry, what? What fracked up version did this idiot play?

Yes, exactly. As a lot of people have mentioned, this guy probably had next to no experience with the game when rating these characters. Frankly, our initial impressions were quite a bit off, and we had been analyzing Japanese videos for a month before we got the game. I doubt that he had that advantage. He also, in all probability, wasn't able to discuss characters with other people. It was his one mind against our thousands. Of course we could get a decent list faster. It's not reasonable to expect one person to accurately rate all of the characters in a competitive, multiplayer game without any multiplayer experience.

Don't bash him. Bash the idiots who thought that they could produce a good guide at launch.
Not even once quarter as off as this guy who's claiming some outlandish things. We're not talking about tierlist impressions and character impressions.

This guy sat down and rated people according to speed, power, defense, etc. And he was dead wrong on the majority of the things. He couldn't even accurately judge the base attributes of the characters, something most non-idiots can.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I guess by tourny player, they mean that he plays with friends in his basement. Seriously some of these people were known to be awful/good before the game even came out. I think they should have just stated that all characters are balanced. It may not be true but at least it saves them from looking like complete idiots. Captain Falcon second best. Throwing ability what jokes.

SouthpawHare

Smash Cadet
As requested, here's the stats given for Olimar.

Offense: 5
Defense: 3
Projectile: 7
Final Smash: 9
Throwing Ability: 6
Speed: 6

"Olimar shares many similarities with Pokemon Trainer. However, the main difference is that Pokemon Trainer always has a Pokemon out fighting, regardless of the circumstances. Olimar can lose his Pikmin, making him almost completely defenseless and lacking a vast majority of his offense as well."

...just.... wow.

M.K

Level 55
I'm sorry, what? What fracked up version did this idiot play?

Not even once quarter as off as this guy who's claiming some outlandish things. We're not talking about tierlist impressions and character impressions.

This guy sat down and rated people according to speed, power, defense, etc. And he was dead wrong on the majority of the things. He couldn't even accurately judge the base attributes of the characters, something most non-idiots can.
Not only did he rate the characters like Yuna said, he did NOT count off "points" for a character who did not have a projectile, but he DID count off points for having a "bad" projectiles (like Waddle Dees and Fox's Blaster "supposedly").

Seriously, that guide is completely....unintelligent.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
As requested, here's the stats given for Olimar.

Offense: 5
Defense: 3
Projectile: 7
Final Smash: 9
Throwing Ability: 6
Speed: 6

"Olimar shares many similarities with Pokemon Trainer. However, the main difference is that Pokemon Trainer always has a Pokemon out fighting, regardless of the circumstances. Olimar can lose his Pikmin, making him almost completely defenseless and lacking a vast majority of his offense as well."

...just.... wow.

Wow............ That summary is idiocy starting with the first sentence. Olimar shares many similarities with Pokemon Trainer. :laugh:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's the worst tier list I have ever since.

It's crap!

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
I have never, ever, ever read a Prima guide without noticing at least five mistakes. (Most particularly their Pokémon guides -- they're absolutely horrid) But this one makes the cake. Also, it says that Squirtle is MIDDLE-weight while Ivysaur is LIGHT-weight, and that Lucas' PK Thunder doesn't do any damage!

Even if Brawl hadn't come out commercially and he was only playing against CPUs, only a BLIND man couldn't notice the damage from PK Thunder.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
There should be a thread that starts off something like this: "If you're here thanks to the Prima Brawl Guide, feel free to use it for kindling, it burns nicely. Just remember to save the poster."

Rick-E

Smash Cadet
In a way the guide could be considered accurate on the way THEY score it. The guide only includes 6 categories. Offense, Defense,Projectile,Final Smash,Throwing, and Speed. By only counting those 6 categories the guide would be correct. But in reality their is a lot more that creates an actual tier list. They are missing some basic key factors that would actually make this a more reliable semi-tier list, such as KO-ability (Offense is only based on how much damage a move does, not the knockback) , recovery, range,etc. And they also included some categories that make no complete sense...I mean come on Final Smashes shouldn't even be included for the fact is most competitive play has all items off. And why the hell is projectiles a category....not everyone in this game has an actual useful projectile so it would move them down on the list compared to people that don't have a projectile at all.

So in the end on the categories that these people set up the list is possibly flawless, but if you count other things like range, knockback,recovery, weight, size, spikes, advantages, at's, etc. these people have no idea what in hell they are talking about.

Prims's Guide is a complete joke, no one should really even take it seriously.

Nintendo should have just made their own, seriously. Never before has there been such a guide so horribly wrong...

Top Bottom