• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prima Strategy Guide Tiers

SouthpawHare

Smash Cadet
For those of you who haven't seen the official Prima Strategy Guide for Brawl, they have something interesting about the character section. They give every character a rating in several areas, as well as an overall rating. Since every character fits into an overall rating between 5 and 9, there are effectively 5 different groupings that are similar to tiers by which the guide believes the characters fall.

Keep in mind that this list does not represent my own personal opinion in any way. This is simply the data I have compiled from the guide

Top Tier ( Score of 9 ):
Marth

High Tier ( Score of 8 ):
Captain Falcon
Diddy Kong
Peach
Snake
Toon Link
Wolf

Middle Tier ( Score of 7 ):
Bowser
Falco
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Link
Lucario
Lucas
Mario
Ness
Pit
Pokémon Trainer
Sheik
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus

Low Tier ( Score of 6 ):
Donkey Kong
Fox
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Ike
Luigi
Meta Knight
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Samus
Zelda

Bottom Tier ( Score of 5 ):
Kirby
Olimar
Pikachu
Wario
Yoshi

SouthpawHare

Smash Cadet
I agree. I think it's utter crap, I just thought I'd let everyone who hasn't seen the guide take a look.

They're not in any specific order within each tier btw, except mostly Alphabetical, since that is how they're organized in the guide

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
They obviously have no friggin' clue what they're talking about. Captain Falcon in the 2nd to highest tier? What the hell does he have high ranking stats in?

And how is Wario so far down? I pity the poor schlubs who bought this "guide".

SouthpawHare

Smash Cadet
Here's what the guide says about Captain Falcon:

Offense: 8
Defense: 7
Projectile: -
Final Smash: 6
Throwing Ability: 10
Speed: 10

Overall: 8

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

I'm sorry, what? Throwing ability 10? Offense 8?! Defense 7 (have they ever heard of edgeguarding?)?!

Matux

Smash Apprentice

who created this? I dont play brawl often. seriously only rare times because I have no modded wii.

SouthpawHare

Smash Cadet
The author SEEMS pretty knowledgeable with most stuff... Makes a note of how he's a tourney player and all on the first page, and uses pro lingo... But the character sections just seem ridiculous.

SouthpawHare

Smash Cadet
This guy really hates Kirby, btw.

Offense: 5
Defense: 5
Throwing Ability: 7
Speed: 6

"Kirby is rarely seen in tournaments, because he's a difficult character to win with in high-level competitions. He has solid edge-guarding tactics and a few unique abilities that allow him to KO opponents at very low percentages, but overall he has a high learning curve and very few advantages compared to most characters."

It sounds like they based their opinion off the Melee version waaay too much.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
They DIDN'T bother playing Brawl.

With the exception of Bowser, this list is just a Melee tier list from days gone by, with a few Brawl characters haphazrdly slapped in.

Editor: Why is Pichu on this list?
Steve: Erm... <scribbles out>

Crow!

Smash Lord
Lol @ Metaknight in low tier.

After the official tier list is out, I think I'll do some statistics to see whether or not there is significant evidence that the makers of this guide were just plopping random names at random locations. I expect it to be a close call.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Im a bowser main and Im pretty sure bowser shouldnt be that high. Mabye in the middle of mid tier but thats it. CF second best is also extremly stupid.

This seems like a melee tier list....

Aggression

Smash Apprentice
They obviously have no friggin' clue what they're talking about. Captain Falcon in the 2nd to highest tier? What the hell does he have high ranking stats in?

And how is Wario so far down? I pity the poor schlubs who bought this "guide".
actually CF has a ton of combos my friend found out about, hes not low but hes not high either

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I bought the guide for the spiffy poster (and subspace/unlocking things but the poster was the main reason)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I bought the guide for the spiffy poster (and subspace/unlocking things but the poster was the main reason)
Unlocking guides are available on the net. Heck, video guides of Subspace Emissary was up within a week.

Don't buy a guide if it sucks. You're rewarding ****ty gaming journalism. Remember, some idiot thought he knew what he was doing when he wrote that guide (claiming to be a Competitive Smasher). He got paid for it. Heck, he might even get paid for each sold copy but even if he doesn't he still got paid.

A lot of people buying it is the publishing company thinking he's a good writer and letting him write new guides in the future.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Lucas is Middle?
Ike is LOW?!

Wow, if this was actually HALF ACCURATE, I would have to tell my friends they suck.
I kill them with Ike and Lucas every chance I get, and I don't spam, either.

Still, if I were to make a guide, I wouldn't post a tier list, for the sheer fact that SOMEONE is going to make a huge deal out of it, and that would end up with me being out of money.
Plus, they already have youtube, so why buy a book when you can pause the game and check the computer?
Answer: It looks cool on your bookshelf.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I think whoever made this list forgot RANGE and SPEED are factors in a fighting game. Sure, metaknight's not all that strong, but he has rediculous speed, and Olimar might not be that great if you don't factor in range. Actually, did this guy play offencive with only white pikmin or something? Olimar is not that terrible.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
I lol'd so hard.

Falco middle Tier? Bellow Booser, peach, DDK and Captain Falcon?! xD Please.

If this was just a Melee list it also fails.

SaberPichu

Smash Cadet
I think they only had the better part of two-three months to write , edit, and publish the whole strategy guide in order to get it out for the launch of the game... and this "tier list" was thrown together at the last second as an after thought as a futile attempt of trying to please us or conning more people into buying it.

Stealth309

Smash Apprentice
Ya, this strategy guide is total BS. It said that Wolf had the lowest attack power out of all three space animals and one of the lowest attack power in the game. Whoever wrote that guide is absolutely a n00b.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think they only had the better part of two-three months to write , edit, and publish the whole strategy guide in order to get it out for the launch of the game... and this "tier list" was thrown together at the last second as an after thought as a futile attempt of trying to please us or conning more people into buying it.
Anyone with half a brain would realize that everything about everything they said about Brawl was inaccurate. They did not make a tierlist. They made stat-charts for each char. According to said stat chars, Captain Falcon is really, really good and Olimar is really, really bad.

Yeah, in what universe?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
this is what the guide book gives and the guide book is crap
D3 and Ike are way higher

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Apparently this guide was written before the release of Brawl, and it was one guy playing alone and writing notes while playing against computers and the drones in SSE.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
If recent approximations of the tier list made by people on smashboards are a good indicator, you could flip this one upside-down and it wouldn't hurt its accuracy all that much.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I got the guide to double check if I'm doing things right, but I went here because it gave me very little on the best way to play P. Trainer. Said nothing on Squirtle's wall of pain, nor Ivysaur's camping technique, and barely hinted Charizard's brute force style. What's even worse, the guide did not notice that my second, Lucario, gets more powerful when the damage goes up.

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
Apparently this guide was written before the release of Brawl, and it was one guy playing alone and writing notes while playing against computers and the drones in SSE.
Lmfao that is great. It reminded me of the time someone told me Roy was better than Marth in SSBM because you unlocked him later on.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
For those of you who haven't seen the official Prima Strategy Guide for Brawl, they have something interesting about the character section. They give every character a rating in several areas, as well as an overall rating. Since every character fits into an overall rating between 5 and 9, there are effectively 5 different groupings that are similar to tiers by which the guide believes the characters fall.

Keep in mind that this list does not represent my own personal opinion in any way. This is simply the data I have compiled from the guide

Top Tier ( Score of 9 ):
Marth

High Tier ( Score of 8 ):
Captain Falcon
Diddy Kong
Peach
Snake
Toon Link
Wolf

Middle Tier ( Score of 7 ):
Bowser
Falco
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Link
Lucario
Lucas
Mario
Ness
Pit
Pokémon Trainer
Sheik
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus

Low Tier ( Score of 6 ):
Donkey Kong
Fox
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Ike
Luigi
Meta Knight
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Samus
Zelda

Bottom Tier ( Score of 5 ):
Kirby
Olimar
Pikachu
Wario
Yoshi
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pikachu, Olimar, Kirby, and Wario BOTTOM TIER!?

Snake not top tier!?

Game and Watch, R.O.B., and Metaknight low tier!? (I wish)

Zelda, The Ice Climbers, and Luigi low tier!?

Peach and Captain Falcon high tier!? (I wish)

Ike not mid-tier?!

King D3 not high tier or better!?

Whoever wrote this tier list is an idiot who has NEVER been to a tournament in his life.

Only thing I agree with:
Marth is top tier.

Top Bottom