• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yo kevin, this is just for you.

How do I apply to be a Pokemon Researcher? I don't see it in the user CP.

I also applied to become a Unity Ruleset Committee member with the reason "I host monthly Brawl tournaments with turnouts of 15-30. I think this qualifies me to be a part of the Unity Ruleset Committee and make important community-changing decisions."

Bones0

Smash Legend

Kaffei

Smash Hero
also, with CC shieldgrab, if you get tapped out of your grab, you can automatically ASDI down and grab again, while you'd probably have to react and know that you're getting hit with a CC JC grab..... unless you mash the JC grab too, but that sounds harder.
Oh ok.. but aren't you tilting your shield down then? Isn't that somewhat bad

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
This discussion was on the last page, but I used to play with head phones all of the time like in tourneys. After learning the psychological aspect of the game. I stopped using head phones because I know how to cope with pressure. Some players need head phones to focus, while others do not need it. Instead, they clear their mind from all distractions and just focus on the task at hand.

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
i used to have trouble focusing as well, with or with out head phone. like i randomly switch to auto pilot.

but when i have a plan while i play, like figuring out why i got hit. to further more pick out my bad habits. i started to get really focus. all credit to pp.

and something that still bothers me is the other player's body langue. but that's just something i need to get over, because everyone has body language if its nodding your head, sighing, taking off your glasses, moving closer to the screen, or unplugging your controller.

Pi

Smash Hero
hm i didn't mean just outside noises/events making u nervous/distracted

i found it focused what went on in my mind too because of the moood it put me in
still need more testing, but that's whati can recall from the pressure situation

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hope this is the right place to ask a question.

I've been messing around with falco for fun (guaranteed combos are always nice). I consider myself a decent player, so my falco isn't total trash, but I am wondering which specific techniques I should be practicing to make Falco a viable character. Like, dair shine double shine? Shine retreating nair? Shine waveland? Character-specific is what I'm looking for here.

As well, how does one decide whether to try to follow up with a shine waveland -> continue combo, or when to just shine -> dair or bair? Is it just intuition about when you can keep the combo going?
Waveshines, aerial shines and double shines and shine grabs(all on shield), shine wavelands, double lasers from the edge, shine Bair kinda.....that's the standard stuff.

Lower % you can usually just shine waveland to combo, but if you think they'll DI too far in a safe direction then go ahead and try the shine Bair/Dair because it usually ***** safer DI.

You're going to win Apex.
He's not going to win Apex, I am. Absolutely 0 mercy.

and something that still bothers me is the other player's body langue. but that's just something i need to get over, because everyone has body language if its nodding your head, sighing, taking off your glasses, moving closer to the screen, or unplugging your controller.
Yeah, body language is super awkward to account for if you never really think about it, but it honestly is better to keep your mind on your game plan and ignore whatever your opponent is doing. If you get a reaction out of them you should be confident then if anything because your solid play has gotten to them psychologically and you should push your advantage rather than worry about it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Is it just me, or have you been working on a new mindset too? Because if you were that would be something crazy. I always made this observation that somehow in someway we are connected, I mean in general as humans. If I'm doing something for example then chances are someone else might do the exact same thing. It feels like themes in the world that's going on at the same time. I usually ask my friends if they feel the same way when something big is changing, and chances are, it's the exact same thing happening to them too. It can't be only coincidence.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Just when you thought Apex couldn't get any more hype. Man. Peepee is about to show people why he's the doctor.

D

Deleted member

No one is going to win Apex. Only salt. Salt will win apex.

gay bird in capris. play a real character.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think unlimited multishines on shield have a lot of potential to break shields or go until they poke, but nobody really does them. I saw dark do it in one of his vids and it was literally like 1 second and break. If dair shine nair retreat still works, 15 multishines on shield has GOT to work.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure they aren't in shield stun the entire time, so the only way you will break their shield is if they are dumb enough to sit there and not attempt an OoS option. Even if they get hit by the shine, that's obviously much harder to follow up than if their shield breaks and you have free reign.

That being said, I do think it's underused. Last time I played, I actually got 10+ with Fox on my opponent's shield when he was by the ledge, and when I finally hit him I was able to follow up with a shine spike. :awesome:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Actually if the shiner is frame perfect there is exactly 1 frame in order to do something. That means you can buffer a spotdodge/roll but you'll get hit by the shine because you dont have invincibility yet.

edit- this is the reason why the ONLY counter is to shield DI

Bones0

Smash Legend
Actually if the shiner is frame perfect there is exactly 1 frame in order to do something. That means you can buffer a spotdodge/roll but you'll get hit by the shine because you dont have invincibility yet.

Is this with Falco, and do you know how Fox's would differ? Also, will a staled shine make a difference? ALSO also, if they light shield would that 1 frame be enough time for the shield to switch from hard to light, or does that take multiple frames? (I'd imagine it only takes 1, but I'm not sure)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Id have to do research on those things which i honestly dont feel like doing since i have hw to do

yes it differs, i dont remember off hand the difference. i recall falco's being better. yes stale matters.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yes Dr. PeePee we all know you're going to win Apex, but maybe M2K will get the honor of a distant second place :) *crosses fingers*

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Awww im glad someone read that! I feel more than half my posts go unread V__V

I think most people have felt that, or something similar. I felt that way when I beat Kels, I was really mentally fatigued but I remember not even controlling my character just debating with myself. "I'm so tired of playing, I guess i'll just let him have this game and play better next game." "No! This is your chance, you won't get another!" And then Kels got hit by my firefox when we were both 100%+ last stock and I knew it was my only chance, gathered up all my energy and uaired him for the set win.

Now that I mention it, I find mental energy and mental fatigue to be my most limiting resource inside and outside of smash.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
i feel silly posting this, but i used to be top 3 in an old fps when i was 15 or so, we were having what was the most influential clan match of all time when it first happened to me, i started playing flawlessly (hah) and i noticed that i no longer had to actually focus on the match at all, it was exactly as day[9] described it, things slowed down and sped up at the same time, and i felt as if i was watching myself play and my hands weren't my own (i distinctly remember looking at the keyboard and mouse in amazement, but it must have been my imagination unless i was playing using peripheral vision, very strange). i saw things before they happened and enemy mindgames became a joke. i think it worked because i had seen every possible situation in that game over and over and knew the best answer to all of them (or was able to think up new answers on the spot), but it was a very technical game and the key was executing them

i'm 24 now and i've been chasing that feeling ever since, i get glimpses of it playing melee.

leffen

Smash Champion
Falco has a 3 frame gap after the first shine.

Sveet, are you sure that 1 frame gap not just the first one? After Shining twice you have 2 wait 2 more frames afaik.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Waveshines, aerial shines and double shines and shine grabs(all on shield), shine wavelands, double lasers from the edge, shine Bair kinda.....that's the standard stuff.

Lower % you can usually just shine waveland to combo, but if you think they'll DI too far in a safe direction then go ahead and try the shine Bair/Dair because it usually ***** safer DI.
Thanks. Any other tips for getting a "hey it's a falco" to "hey that's a pretty good falco"?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I dunno if I've felt that out-of-body experience yet. I seem to be able to negotiate my surroundings pretty well even when I'm focusing. Maybe I'm just really bad. :)

Pi

Smash Hero
Thanks. Any other tips for getting a "hey it's a falco" to "hey that's a pretty good falco"?
well if ur going for flashyness to get mad props on ur falco just lern a lot of techy **** on shields
mainly like doubleshine shield pressure, or just any shield pressure in general will get u compliments

but pretty much any time u can win with a char vs. competent opponents u'll get props

so just be smart with the char and don't overwhelm urself w/ all his options at first

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)

It'll always be a fairly useless idea with fox because you can just buffer roll + get hit by shine and make your getaway while they're being super technical

With Falco? Stale moves + the improbability of getting it frame perfect enough vs. buffering a roll which will always being frame perfect... I dunno...

G

genkaku

I can't moonwalk, but I've been substituting with wavedash, turnaround, wavedash, SH with similar application.
I'm afraid it's too slow, though.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i feel silly posting this, but i used to be top 3 in an old fps when i was 15 or so, we were having what was the most influential clan match of all time when it first happened to me, i started playing flawlessly (hah) and i noticed that i no longer had to actually focus on the match at all, it was exactly as day[9] described it, things slowed down and sped up at the same time, and i felt as if i was watching myself play and my hands weren't my own (i distinctly remember looking at the keyboard and mouse in amazement, but it must have been my imagination unless i was playing using peripheral vision, very strange). i saw things before they happened and enemy mindgames became a joke. i think it worked because i had seen every possible situation in that game over and over and knew the best answer to all of them (or was able to think up new answers on the spot), but it was a very technical game and the key was executing them

i'm 24 now and i've been chasing that feeling ever since, i get glimpses of it playing melee.
what fps? top 3 in the world..?

Stevo

Smash Champion
I've had the experience while playing sports before, but never playing melee.
I've come close though.

There are always those days where you are just completely on your game and you just read your enemy like a book, but it never kicks over to that omnipotent state in smash for me. I feel like it is easier to do when you are younger, too.

Divinokage

Smash Legend

Chasing that feeling? Why don't you fight someone for real, you'll get that feeling in no time man. =) That experience usually only happens when I'm super hyper and that I battle for my life.

Top Bottom