• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

my first tournament, i played chu in ness vs kirby (i was the ness). and then we talked about how we both thought ness and kirby were secretly great.

2 january 2004 lol

Stevo

Smash Champion
man, I can't even remember my first tournament.
I played a small tournament of Smash 64 with people from my school before melee even came out, but I don't think that should count. (probably 12 people only)

I do remember thinking Kirby was actually good really early on (probably around '04 or something)

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Honestly, who wouldn't :D
Wes is mad good and everything, but the other guy is the doctor of smash himself!

(before anyone asks, I'm not going to set up a paypal account or sth for stupid stuff like smash bets ;) )

Bones0

Smash Legend
Kevin is the Dr. of Smash, and it's about time for Wes's checkup. Hopefully it doesn't get physical. Amoxicillin's just not real enough.

Wait, what?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I think a more interesting bet would be sidebets on PP vs Wes playing directly.
I think wes has a better chance at beating PP in a 1 on 1 than he does at outplacing him.

If it was simply the latter, I'd choose PP

noobird

Smash Journeyman
actual question. is double shine wavedash down shine actually safe on shield (a la westballz)? i don't have anyone to test this with but i thought you could always grab between waveshines. or something.

Bones0

Smash Legend
No, it's not safe at all. Landing from airdodges (WDing) has 10 frames of lag, which is quite a lot to be sitting in front of someone's shield with, especially when combined with Falco's 5-frames of jumpsquat before he leaves the ground. Learn to move fluently out of your double shines just like you would with a single shine. I think you're actually MORE likely to get grabbed out of double shines because people often look for the first shine, and by the time they react the second shine's stun has just run out and they've grabbed.

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
No, it's not safe at all. Landing from airdodges (WDing) has 10 frames of lag, which is quite a lot to be sitting in front of someone's shield with, especially when combined with Falco's 5-frames of jumpsquat before he leaves the ground. Learn to move fluently out of your double shines just like you would with a single shine. I think you're actually MORE likely to get grabbed out of double shines because people often look for the first shine, and by the time they react the second shine's stun has just run out and they've grabbed.
What about double shinegrab?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Cause shield DI. But I dunno how many people ACTUALLY use shield DI against Falco's pressure.

Or use shield DI in general. Generally, shine > grab is better because of it, though.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Does double shine even beat buffered rolls? If so, what about when it's staled below 7 damage? Sveet? Strong bad?
Shine does hit frame 1, is jump cancelable on frame 4 and does 8% of damage (5 frames of base adv. on block), therefore if shine is jump canceled perfectly (that buffers, right?), we're looking at a +2 advantage (5 + 1 - 4 = 2).
That means for shine grab that our grab-box connects on the 5th frame with whatever opponent inputted frame perfectly. So we lose to everything that hits frame 4 or earlier and pretty much beat everything that hits frame 5, because grab is just awesome like that in terms of priority, right?
For a second shine, we have to wait through the jump squat and then get a hit box on frame 6 because it's the first frame we're airborne and can therefore shine, which means we hit on frame 4 of our opponents reponse, which would mean somebody who buffered a roll would already be invulnerable, right? And we would clank with stuff that hits on frame 4, right?

If I am not mistaken, that would mean that there's little reason to double shine grab over shine grab in terms of catching OOS stuff between the first shine and the grab (what does hit on exactly frame 4? Fox shine OOS?), and it's pretty much resulting in the same situation if it works out.
So the main reason to do a double shine would be to get in a "free" second shine which leaves you at the same frame advantage than the first one, whittling down his shield some more, setting up for more likely shield stabs.
But if you're fine with getting the grab, because you think the throw will set up for sufficiently nice stuff anyways, then you should just go for shine grab imho... Unless you want to style, where I would totally agree that double shine grab looks rather sweet (:

edit: oh, and not that I would recommend rolling as the default response to Falco shield pressure (reading them yields really nice stuff to Falco), but it's definitely something one should consider.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
"For a second shine, we have to wait through the jump squat and then get a hit box on frame 6"

Can't you shine while still in jumpsquat?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
What.

That blows my mind. I always thought you could at least shine...one of the silly things I've thought forever that was wrong. :(

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I think the up smash and up b thing are in there so the intended players (happy party with items and four way everyone vs everyone smashers :D) wouldn't be required to practically hit up on the controlstick and "a" frame perfectly in order not to accidentally jump instead... Well, so now we can just hit a / b while still on the ground and the jumping animation will be canceled, and we get the respective move instead of the tap jump nobody asked for. While probably just intended to be used for leeway in the neutral position, this of course translated to doing this stuff out of shield or cancelling the dash that way. Well, and shine doesn't require you to hit up, so there's no reason to allow it out of jump squat (grab doesn't either, but probably splashes over because of the a + shield thingy :D)

You can however shield drop > shine on the first possible frame while on a platform, that would result in a grounded shine on the platform, which comes out on frame 2 :D

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It's essentially a grounded shine OOS. Yeah, I've done it a few times in practice, and it always seemed like a cool idea, I guess. Faster than shine OOS, too. I've just not seen anyone do it yet.

Shine does not care about the rules.

And that stuff about jump cancelling makes sense...I think. Lol.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Well, double shine makes him commit to one spot, and I've never seen anybody move between the aerial and his shine, so that one is pretty much in the same spot as well... three instances of shield DI do cover a lot of ground I think. I'm just too afraid of shield stabs to really use it :x

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
PP I just want to state that you are amazing, thanks for everything.

Just a reminder
you're welcome, and i appreciate it =)

retreating under platforms, good idea or bad? i do it a lot vs falcon, fox and sheik, is this an ok strategy or should i be fighting more for mid-stage?
It can be good, but like with anything else, if you pigeonhole yourself into one style of play then it can be very bad. Playing under platforms is pretty safe but what do you want to do ultimately?

Yo PP I got like $60 on you to outplace wes at Kings

should be a sure bet

but they seem really confident in him so he maybe has some NEW TECHNOLOGY or something?

watch out d00d

don't get sick
I will always play well.

It doesnt always work since Falco can account for shield DI while doing his moves too.
theory bros @ all of this

Top Bottom