• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Bones0

Smash Legend
Does double shine even beat buffered rolls? If so, what about when it's staled below 7 damage? Sveet? Strong bad?
Shine does hit frame 1, is jump cancelable on frame 4 and does 8% of damage (5 frames of base adv. on block), therefore if shine is jump canceled perfectly (that buffers, right?), we're looking at a +2 advantage (5 + 1 - 4 = 2).
CTRL+F: Falco's Multishine Data

It beats rolls and if you do it frame perfect or 1 frame slow with no staling. It doesn't beat buffered spot dodge since spot dodge is invincible on frame 2 (which is when the shine hits). Not that it matters since if you spotdodge to avoid the shine the Falco will typically get you with the grab, aerial, third shine, or whatever he did after. Since shine is so often staled and no one does perfect multishines, shield-SDIing and buffering a roll is the best escape option (unless you want to just hold shield which is definitely the safest option).

That means for shine grab that our grab-box connects on the 5th frame with whatever opponent inputted frame perfectly. So we lose to everything that hits frame 4 or earlier and pretty much beat everything that hits frame 5, because grab is just awesome like that in terms of priority, right?
For a second shine, we have to wait through the jump squat and then get a hit box on frame 6 because it's the first frame we're airborne and can therefore shine, which means we hit on frame 4 of our opponents reponse, which would mean somebody who buffered a roll would already be invulnerable, right? And we would clank with stuff that hits on frame 4, right?

If I am not mistaken, that would mean that there's little reason to double shine grab over shine grab in terms of catching OOS stuff between the first shine and the grab (what does hit on exactly frame 4? Fox shine OOS?), and it's pretty much resulting in the same situation if it works out.
So the main reason to do a double shine would be to get in a "free" second shine which leaves you at the same frame advantage than the first one, whittling down his shield some more, setting up for more likely shield stabs.
But if you're fine with getting the grab, because you think the throw will set up for sufficiently nice stuff anyways, then you should just go for shine grab imho... Unless you want to style, where I would totally agree that double shine grab looks rather sweet (:
I know Fox's shine OoS hits frame 4, and I'd bet Samus, Bowser, and a few other characters can up-OoS vs. it. You'd need damn good timing unless they're doing unbearably slow multishines though. The point of double shine grab over shine grab is that you can catch them doing OoS options to beat your shine-grab. If they spotdodge shine-grab, they counterattack easy. If you double shine grab, they avoid the second shine and get hit by the grab. It's just a mixup to keep them honest about when they move OoS. Alternatively, if they're expecting multishine-grabs, they're giving you a free shine-grab opportunity because even if you have a staled shine or execute it slowly they'll be holding shield for those later shines. Melee has millisecond mixups. **** this game.

"For a second shine, we have to wait through the jump squat and then get a hit box on frame 6"

Can't you shine while still in jumpsquat?
No, you have to be frame perfect by shining on the first airborne frame... I would just break shields all day if multishines were that easy. lol Browse that link above if you want to understand shine pressure.

I think the up smash and up b thing are in there so the intended players (happy party with items and four way everyone vs everyone smashers :D) wouldn't be required to practically hit up on the controlstick and "a" frame perfectly in order not to accidentally jump instead... Well, so now we can just hit a / b while still on the ground and the jumping animation will be canceled, and we get the respective move instead of the tap jump nobody asked for. While probably just intended to be used for leeway in the neutral position, this of course translated to doing this stuff out of shield or cancelling the dash that way. Well, and shine doesn't require you to hit up, so there's no reason to allow it out of jump squat (grab doesn't either, but probably splashes over because of the a + shield thingy :D)

You can however shield drop > shine on the first possible frame while on a platform, that would result in a grounded shine on the platform, which comes out on frame 2 :D
I don't think JCing only helps noobs in execution. Up-Bing or usmashing from the ground would be insanely difficult for everyone if you had to press up and the corresponding button frame perfect. This same mechanic is also why you have 3 frames to pivot fsmashes as opposed to the one frame demanded of other moves.

It's essentially a grounded shine OOS. Yeah, I've done it a few times in practice, and it always seemed like a cool idea, I guess. Faster than shine OOS, too. I've just not seen anyone do it yet.

Shine does not care about the rules.

And that stuff about jump cancelling makes sense...I think. Lol.
I don't think shinedrop platform cancels on the first frame. It feels like it's at least the second because when I do really fast shines they usually don't PC. When I dip further down into the plat they PC a lot more often. JC timing also affects it, so maybe it's just correlation to that and not actual causation.

Well, double shine makes him commit to one spot, and I've never seen anybody move between the aerial and his shine, so that one is pretty much in the same spot as well... three instances of shield DI do cover a lot of ground I think. I'm just too afraid of shield stabs to really use it :x
I move forward with my multishines. It can help, but most shield SDIing is done by trying to roll, and it just goes too far for Falco to still hit. If Falco's facing away it makes shield DIing a much smaller issue (also because people will tend to DI away when Falco's facing them, and towards him when he's facing away). I think shield DIing has potential uses, but beating shine pressure is probably not one of the better ones. There's other stuff you need to be doing when they start shining, and shield DIing is pointless if they happen to waveshine into or as a cross up anyway. What people should be doing is shield-SDIing Falco's aerial and then shield grabbing because of how crappy the front of the shine's hitbox is.

Still the best Falco in the universe.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
lol sean always with those 07 habits.

thats the tournament that made sean finally listen to me and stop attempting the illusion cancel on top platform since he telegraphs it.

noobird

Smash Journeyman
so like. westballz shield pressure is ridiculously easy to punish but nobody does? lol classic. also when does regular edgeguarding also cover shortened illusion - it's happened a bunch to me but sometimes I feel like they just get the timing wrong for covering a regular illusion...

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
its the good player syndrome. It's why nobody punishes mango when he gets stuck in his shine by accident, or why i see people going for bad, shield grabbable pressure, and people respecting it instead of punishing.

Bones0

Smash Legend
so like. westballz shield pressure is ridiculously easy to punish but nobody does? lol classic. also when does regular edgeguarding also cover shortened illusion - it's happened a bunch to me but sometimes I feel like they just get the timing wrong for covering a regular illusion...
There is no difference in timing when you shorten. The move just ends a few frames sooner. For example, if Marth walks all the way up to the ledge and dtilts far enough out to hit a shortened Phantasm, it would also hit a full-length Phantasm. The discrepancy of timing seems to be there because if you side-B into a wall, you sit there for a second before you grab the ledge. If you shorten (and consequently, sweetspot), you will grab it much faster. So basically if they attempt to hit a shorten, they will hit both, but if they attempt to hit the full-length, they might be a little too slow (assuming the shorten is sweetspotted and not done into the wall). Players too often rely on that lag of hitting the wall, which is why full-length side-Bs are so much easier to hit. My theory is that this is why Fox can quick-grab the ledge with the very beginning of his side-B unlike Falco. I imagine he basically has one extra sweetspot length at the beginning of his move that Falco doesn't. This is also all quite similar to up-B stalls where you can grab the ledge both before the movement begins as well as after.

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
Ok I'm new to shield pressure in general. So can bones (re)clarify in more simple terms: is the second shine while double shining faster than the grab from a shinegrab, why or why not. I was thinking that shine connects on frame 1 and grab connects on frame 7-8? Am I wrong?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Falco's jumpsquat pretty obviously takes less than 7 frames so double shining is pretty obviously faster if you think about it <_<

I guess if you know nothing about frame data then not knowing is permissible, but 7 frames is like ... Ganon speed or something

Bones0

Smash Legend
Perfect double shine has a 2-frame window where they can move, and perfect shine grab has a 4-frame window where they can move. The only thing they can do vs. multishining is spotdodge (invinc starts frame 2) or shield drop. During a shine grab, they can spotdodge, roll, up-B OoS with some chars, shine OoS as Fox, and shield drop.

I think I got that all right. Anyway, that's all based on perfection, so it isn't really that useful to know how many frames they have to get out, etc. What you need to know is the pros and cons of each outside of speed. Multishines can generally be performed fast enough to prevent rolling, which is huge since that's a great tool vs. shine grab. It also prevents you from getting wrecked by spotdodges. Most importantly, it gives you punishes off of shines instead of throws. Falco's uthrow will often only lead to a hit or two vs. a lot of chars whereas a grounded shine leads into really consistent pillars. There's also the added benefit of being able to back off at any point because all of your shines are grounded.

Shine grabs are good when they're just holding shield and getting out of your pressure constantly. My style has been pretty light on grabs because I am able to use multishines, but I have more recently started shine grabbing more because when I play people and quadruple shine on their shield they learn pretty quickly not to do ambitious OoS options. They'll opt to hold shield until I mess up or have to bail out of the pressure with a fade away aerial or jump to a plat out of an aerial shine. This is why I mix in shine grabs to keep them honest instead of just spamming shines and getting nowhere when I have them conditioned in ways that most players dream of. You can tell almost any new player that they are holding shield too much, so to be able to force heavy shielding during shield pressure is huge. The only way they're getting out of multishines is to hold shield, and the only way they're getting out of shine grabs is to do an OoS option. They are ridiculously complementary.

Ganon is only 1 frame slower than Falco, Wenbo. I guess if you know nothing about frame data then not knowing is permissible though.

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
Grab hits on 6-7. Perfect double shine has a 2-frame window where they can move, and perfect shine grab has a 4-frame window where they can move. The only thing they can do vs. multishining is spotdodge (invinc starts frame 2) or shield drop. During a shine grab, they can spotdodge, roll, up-B OoS with some chars, shine OoS as Fox, and shield drop.

I think I got that all right. Anyway, that's all based on perfection, so it isn't really that useful to know how many frames they have to get out, etc. What you need to know is the pros and cons of each outside of speed. Multishines can generally be performed fast enough to prevent rolling, which is huge since that's a great tool vs. shine grab. It also prevents you from getting wrecked by spotdodges. Most importantly, it gives you punishes off of shines instead of throws. Falco's uthrow will often only lead to a hit or two vs. a lot of chars whereas a grounded shine leads into really consistent pillars. There's also the added benefit of being able to back off at any point because all of your shines are grounded.

Shine grabs are good when they're just holding shield and getting out of your pressure constantly. My style has been pretty light on grabs because I am able to use multishines, but I have more recently started shine grabbing more because when I play people and quadruple shine on their shield they learn pretty quickly not to do ambitious OoS options. They'll opt to hold shield until I mess up or have to bail out of the pressure with a fade away aerial or jump to a plat out of an aerial shine. This is why I mix in shine grabs to keep them honest instead of just spamming shines and getting nowhere when I have them conditioned in ways that most players dream of. You can tell almost any new player that they are holding shield too much, so to be able to force heavy shielding during shield pressure is huge. The only way they're getting out of multishines is to hold shield, and the only way they're getting out of shine grabs is to do an OoS option. They are ridiculously complementary.

Ganon is only 1 frame slower than Falco, Wenbo. I guess if you know nothing about frame data then not knowing is permissible though.
Thanks for this, up till now I was more about perfecting double shines and tightening shine to shffl on top of shield. Now I'm interested in knowing the exact frame data.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
PP, when I play against Puff it always seems like if I don't crossover my aerials, I get grabbed for some reason. Do I need to delay my aerial as late as possible?

Also, what do I do after I crossover aerial a shielding Puff? It always seems like I can't capitalize after they roll away, and it feels like it was all for nothing if I reset back into neutral position.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Most grabs are frame 7, I believe. Zelda and the tether characters being the exceptions.

Almost every character forum has a frame data thread in which this information is more than readily available.

D

Deleted member

i think kevin has a very real chance of losing to wes.

i wouldn't put him past 50%, but it's definitely not 0% like you guys are making it out to be.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Thanks for this, up till now I was more about perfecting double shines and tightening shine to shffl on top of shield. Now I'm interested in knowing the exact frame data.
Like I said at the top of the page, almost everything relevant to shield pressure frames can be found here.

PP, when I play against Puff it always seems like if I don't crossover my aerials, I get grabbed for some reason. Do I need to delay my aerial as late as possible?

Also, what do I do after I crossover aerial a shielding Puff? It always seems like I can't capitalize after they roll away, and it feels like it was all for nothing if I reset back into neutral position.
There's pretty much no excuse for getting grabbed by Puff. Her grab is awful. Just space better and make sure you're doing late aerials and shining when you land in range. You need to delay your aerials as late as possible vs. everyone or else you will get grabbed by the better players who are quick to react to early aerials on shield.

After you cross her up, just dump hitboxes on her back. Grab is her only legit OoS counter. She'll most likely try to WD OoS away from you, so just be ready to react to any movement and chase her down. Her WD doesn't go far enough and her roll isn't fast enough for her to escape, and at the very least you should be able to land another aerial on her shield if she gets it up in time and just keep pressuring.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

Delay the aerial more, hit your FF, don't waste frames after L-canceling. Check these things separately and see where your problem lies.

Action after crossover depends on what the Puff might do. Utilt is pretty solid, but most Puffs either hold shield(into WD OOS/Bair) or roll. If it's just roll you want to cover, then turnaround laser to re-establish pressure.

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
May I ask what a crossover is?

Also, I just read the Advanced Buffers section of SCOTU's Shield Pressure Research Project. I was wondering how hard it is to do.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Crossover is when you jump in with your aerial in a way that lets you land behind your opponent, usually in order to avoid shield grabs (unless he's playing CF, that guys grab starts kilometers behind him lol <3).

Top Bottom