• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Or just let go of the controller when you get hit by horizontal combos xD
Neutral DI is like the best

Bones0

Smash Legend
There's so MUCH that goes into thinking about the game, at least for me. When I was improving rapidly starting out, I mostly emphasized videos/play of myself and worked to win those situations next time I played. I did a little bit of your other suggestion too in order to layer my play more deeply/stay ahead of the metagame.

Now I recognize most situations in the game, so when a new one comes along I can file it away quickly. I spend more of my time thinking about Melee in different ways/sections(king of the hill, control, momentum, shields, combos, edgeguards, juggles, lasers if it's Falco or sword arcs if it's Marth[examples of character-specific things] and once in a while I focus on a matchup aka applying all of these types of things together). If you'll notice, I broke Melee down into many elements and then, even broken down, I built some of it up and applied it towards a matchup. If any of my ideas on matchups change/are proven wrong by what I see/observe/theorize then I, ideally, start the process over.

When breaking Melee into sections, there's a pretty easy way to handle how to go about thinking about each. You want to question EVERYTHING and never believe anything you've seen or read unless you absolutely need a starting base(come back to it later though if you can).

For example, if you want to think about tech chasing, then you need to ask yourself WHY. Always ask why no matter what and ask it as much as possible. Ask yourself WHY tech chasing is important. Maybe it's important because it continues combos, or because it lets you further control the opponent. Your answer can honestly change and that's okay. It's more important that you focus on moving with that idea than holding to it. So, if you think tech chasing is important because it continues combos, then you want to go 2 ways from here.

-why is it important to continue combos?

-how can I go about improving my tech chasing?

1 is pretty easy, but 2 is hard. If you'll notice, I didn't ask why for the 2nd question. Once I have an answer for it, I'll probably want to ask why again in order to make sure my answer makes sense to myself and I thoroughly understand it.

I could go on but I think this makes sense well enough for the time being. Let me know if you have any questions regarding this/anything else. =)
Thanks, that's more than enough to get me started. I can tell you really have a process set up for this stuff because of how well you articulated it.

PB&J

Smash Hero
pp- ive been playing alot of falco lately. i have alot of match ups down except for i want to combo sheik better. Rice came to ga 3 months ago combo"d sheik like she was fox. I wish i could of recorded it,but it looked as he was delaying some of his aerials to keep the combos going. How do you fight against sheik. I seen the vids of you,but i think explaining it will help me more

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
pp- ive been playing alot of falco lately. i have alot of match ups down except for i want to combo sheik better. Rice came to ga 3 months ago combo"d sheik like she was fox. I wish i could of recorded it,but it looked as he was delaying some of his aerials to keep the combos going. How do you fight against sheik. I seen the vids of you,but i think explaining it will help me more
Comboing Sheik, you basically do delay the Dair a little because you want to fall with her so that you can hit the ground before/during the time she does in order to have the most amount of time to hit her while she's still in stun. Beyond that, I think I switch from shine to Uptilt in the Dair combos around....50-60%? Something like that.

Not sure what else I can explain here haha.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Do you guys ever do fake SHL (hit the ground before the laser comes out) against people who are good at power shielding?
Empty SH works the same as pulling out the gun but not firing.

ppl aren't fast enuff to notice the diff between empty gun and empty hop

If they're gonna try and PS it they're gonna be expecting it on the SH regardless if you actually pull it out or not

From my exp

Edit: this is like my fav punish if they try to PS cuz most the time they just put their shield up and then back down again and then get dair'd in the face

:phone:

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
Practicing to waveland with Falco (Noticed he's harder to waveland then other characters). Any tips to get this down? I've practiced for two days straight and I still suck. I keep air dodging above the platform when I try to jump up (from below) and waveland onto it. Does wavelanding take a while to get down?

Twinkles

Smash Lord
everything takes practice
if ur airdodging when you waveland, press the airdodge button quicker after u jump

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's just hard. Just sit in your room with the lights out, turn up some music, and grind out wavelanding practice for an hour straight. No attacks. Just jumping, airdodging, fast falling, and the occasional shine-turnaround. When you get better you can start working in ledge cancelled attacks, lasers, and shai drops.

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, guess more practice is the answer. By the way, you're suppose to jump up fast fall and then waveland? Or just jump, control stick horizontal, and then R/L?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hey PP, I heard on the swedish stream the other day that Mango was bringing the puff back (according to his facebook, I guess?)

What have you heard? Do you think he'll really bring it back? Is it the right move? How long will it take him to bring his puff up to par, if he can do it at all? Can we extrapolate anything about mango's current mindset from this? Will he be playing it at impulse or is it a future thing?

lot of questions for what might be a dumb rumor lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
Alright guys, guess more practice is the answer. By the way, you're suppose to jump up fast fall and then waveland? Or just jump, control stick horizontal, and then R/L?
You can't FF until the peak of your jump. I was talking about FFing after you WL off (simply to reach the ground with another WL faster).

Also, you shouldn't be trying to do horizontal WLs (apparently they are possible, but extremely difficult). I would start with WLing straight down, and then angle them further and further to the sides until you can get long enough WLs that you slide off when you want to.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey PP, I heard on the swedish stream the other day that Mango was bringing the puff back (according to his facebook, I guess?)

What have you heard? Do you think he'll really bring it back? Is it the right move? How long will it take him to bring his puff up to par, if he can do it at all? Can we extrapolate anything about mango's current mindset from this? Will he be playing it at impulse or is it a future thing?

lot of questions for what might be a dumb rumor lol
He is planning on doing that, but I'm not sure how serious it is honestly. Mango just likes talking a TON because he likes getting people excited lol.

He HAS been playing lots of Puff and getting her pretty good again though. I do know that much.

Mango doesn't need a whole lot other than motivation and a little bit of time to get up to par, so that's a non-issue as far as I care.

Not sure what he will do at Impulse, and he's made sure of that lol. I bet he plans on getting to finals, but beyond that I'm not totally sure(he's hinted at going Marth on me a lot *shrug*).

All I know is I want his Falco and have no interest in his Puff. That's about as much interest I have in this rumor lol.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
He'd probably be better off putting his time and energy into Falco/Fox but maybe he'll make me look like an idiot and be amazing with Puff again, but I just don't see him being as aggressive as he plays now with Puff as cool as a more aggressive Puff sounds.

PB&J

Smash Hero
Comboing Sheik, you basically do delay the Dair a little because you want to fall with her so that you can hit the ground before/during the time she does in order to have the most amount of time to hit her while she's still in stun. Beyond that, I think I switch from shine to Uptilt in the Dair combos around....50-60%? Something like that.

Not sure what else I can explain here haha.
thanks. exactly what a needed. and if your going to tipped off,ill pick your brain a little more there

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
thanks. exactly what a needed. and if your going to tipped off,ill pick your brain a little more there
Won't be able to sadly =( Family vacation johns.

And to whoever said they prefer to use empty SH/delayed moves instead of lasers for baiting/controlling people, I do that too and it is AMAZING. You can do a lot of tricks with that type of maneuver(wavelanding, aerials, DJs, delayed lasers lol, nothing, etc).

strawhats

Smash Master
He is planning on doing that, but I'm not sure how serious it is honestly. Mango just likes talking a TON because he likes getting people excited lol.

He HAS been playing lots of Puff and getting her pretty good again though. I do know that much.

Mango doesn't need a whole lot other than motivation and a little bit of time to get up to par, so that's a non-issue as far as I care.

Not sure what he will do at Impulse, and he's made sure of that lol. I bet he plans on getting to finals, but beyond that I'm not totally sure(he's hinted at going Marth on me a lot *shrug*).

All I know is I want his Falco and have no interest in his Puff. That's about as much interest I have in this rumor lol.
Damn, Shots fired at the Puff. It'd be funny to see mango actually go puff against falco. I don't think I've ever seen him do it.

strawhats

Smash Master
yeah, mango tends to do that. I remember he went off in teams in one match against m2k and jman at Apex 2010...so many rests.

If mango really does bring the puff back in tournament, he should also unretire "the box tag".

Top Bottom