• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
It's 6/7 frames. Falco's airbone on frame 6, but I suck at frame maths and I dunno if the shine comes out on frame 6 or 7. I suppose it's frame 6, but I'm not sure

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
The first airborne frame of Falco's jump is frame 6, which is when he can shine. So it'd be 6 frames.

@ unknown: I'm pretty sure you can't shine until you are in the air. JC shines are a misnomer - the canceling that is happening isn't the shine canceling the jump like a JC grab. It's the shine canceling the upwards movement on the first airborne frame so you land on the ground immediately.

references:

SuperDoodleMan's frame data
this post on Falco's multishining :
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2713277&postcount=40

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
rubyiris i dont give a **** if youre better than the majority of posters on swf, youre one of the worst of the people who have posted in the last few pages of this thread

mogwai, i know that juke will sit there baiting, and as soon as he hears the noise raptor boost makes, he will dash attack forward and its totally simple and takes no skill so long as youre not already trying to do something else
ok, fair enough, but my reaction time is ****. I just guess on everything :laugh:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The first airborne frame of Falco's jump is frame 6, which is when he can shine. So it'd be 6 frames.

@ unknown: I'm pretty sure you can't shine until you are in the air. JC shines are a misnomer - the canceling that is happening isn't the shine canceling the jump like a JC grab. It's the shine canceling the upwards movement on the first airborne frame so you land on the ground immediately.

references:

arent those exactly the same thing?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
nope, they most certainly aren't.

JC for anything other than Shine refers to canceling the jump entirely during it's startup frames. you never actually leave the ground from your jump because you cancel it.

a JC shine on the other hand requires you to become airborne.

unknown522

Some guy

references:

nope, they most certainly aren't.

JC for anything other than Shine refers to canceling the jump entirely during it's startup frames. you never actually leave the ground from your jump because you cancel it.

a JC shine on the other hand requires you to become airborne.
alright. Learning more.

X1-12

Smash Champion
its hard to define unsafe. Its do-able, but can be risky I guess

Also people, If I want to get a vid recorded for critique, should it be of me playing someone roughly equal skill or of me getting absolutely ***** by someone?

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
its hard to define unsafe. Its do-able, but can be risky I guess

Also people, If I want to get a vid recorded for critique, should it be of me playing someone roughly equal skill or of me getting absolutely ***** by someone?
honestly, i like seeing players fight someone a tier lower, on the same tier, and then a tier higher. gives a nice scope.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
so technically speaking it'd be unsafe for falco to shine oos fox's drillshine?
well, I've seen one analysis (Scotu's) say that after fox lands there's a 5 frame window:

Pillaring (w/ dair):
Shine puts +2 advantage after jump, drill comes out on frame 5, and has a 3 frame disadvantage.
Drill lands w/ 4 frames of shield lag (past the hitstun on the drill), so after l-canceling (9 frames) you have a 5 frame disadvantage.
from this thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109595

and another (KirbyKaze's/JPOBS') say that there's a 7 frame window.

I think the difference is that Scotu did it for a non-fastfalled drill.

So... if the Fox is frame perfect, then it's possible to shine oos vs a fastfalled drill, and not possible vs. a non-fastfalled drill.

Realistically, they probably won't be frame perfect either way so it would be possible, though difficult to time.

Sion

Island of Horizon
possible, but risky and difficult... now i gotta do a lot of thinking about what possible counters i have to it.

Sion

Island of Horizon
i've always been meaning to practice teching fox's shine, but i've never got around to actually thinking about it ingame/offgame.

that's definitely interesting, gustav, and i'll probably attempt to learn it in the near future.

unknown522

Some guy
so technically speaking it'd be unsafe for falco to shine oos fox's drillshine?
on drill shine, it's always safe. You have to do it after the shine. If they double shine though, then you'll get hit.

Also, when my vids are up within a few days or so, then I will ask for critique.

G.I._JOE

Smash Journeyman
Is jumping OoS after the attack ends on your shield or can it be done during the hitstun? By the way is falcos early dair one of those moves that you can still see the animation even after hitstun ends so it sort of hard to find the timing?

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
need help with a very defensive samus match-up. Any tips? Like how do i avoid missles but still attack

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
@mogwai - i was hoping you weren't gonna say that T_T. I hate camping lazors.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Is jumping OoS after the attack ends on your shield or can it be done during the hitstun? By the way is falcos early dair one of those moves that you can still see the animation even after hitstun ends so it sort of hard to find the timing?
nothing can be done during hitstun

when a move hits you you experience a certain amount of hitstun. when those frames are over you can jump (or roll or spot dodge or shieldgrab). you jump after the hitstun, as fast as possible usually.

falco's early dair is extremely easy to punish. if a falco dairs early on your shield, grab or jump or do anything you want. he's easy pickings for like 20 frames or something ridiculous.

unknown522

Some guy
Sion is a beast! He beat me the past 2 tournaments in a row!
yeah, what the hell happened? Are there vids?

people were johning for you....

@mogwai - i was hoping you weren't gonna say that T_T. I hate camping lazors.
you have to, because her up-b OoS is so stupid, along with her WD back. She also doesn't get combo'd very hard, so it's not worth it to approach at all.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
yeah, what the hell happened? Are there vids?

people were johning for you....

you have to, because her up-b OoS is so stupid, along with her WD back. She also doesn't get combo'd very hard, so it's not worth it to approach at all.
at what percent should i approach and with what move? And tips on avoiding missles while lasering?

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
What button combos does everyone here use to shine OoS out of curiosity? Also, seeing as I'm trying to switch to Falco still, is there any routines or any techniques I should practice(minus the obvious waveshine, etc) when no one's around to play?

unknown522

Some guy
at what percent should i approach and with what move? And tips on avoiding missles while lasering?
if you can hit a d-air, then any percent is good for approaching. If you're using any other move to approach other than shine and grab, then you have to get her above 65%, otherwise she'll just CC everything.

When approaching her shield, you have to stay outside of her up-b range. Her only option is to WD back OoS, because you can easily punish her if she rolls or jumps. If you find that your opponent shields a lot, then you can try to trap her at the edge, while spacing on her shield. If she WDs back to grab the ledge, then she has no safe options from the ledge, so you can punish her. The problem is that every punish is only like 2-3 hits, usually.

Also, shining the missiles is good too.

What button combos does everyone here use to shine OoS out of curiosity? Also, seeing as I'm trying to switch to Falco still, is there any routines or any techniques I should practice(minus the obvious waveshine, etc) when no one's around to play?
I use L to shield and Y + B to shine Oos. Exactly the same as how I SHDL with fox.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
X+L

I use those 2 buttons for pretty much anything I could use them for. I tech on the ground with R though...kinda weird.
word
same with me

cept R is like wavedashing button.

I wonder what I airdodge and tech with, it's hard to remember unless i'm actually playing.

i do doubleshines with X and sometimes I mess up cuz i do em too fast. I feel like if I changed to Y, but fox doubleshines wud be amazing.

Top Bottom