• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

X1-12

Smash Champion
I was under the impression that Samus players love it when you shine their missiles, because they can dash attack them laglessly, which gives them a slight frame advantage and more importantly allows them to close space with you.
only do it if your far enough away so they can't. They normally wont want to approach you and even if they do it'll probs be like a dash attack which is ****e

mhenlo

Smash Apprentice
i used x to jump for everything except for wave shining i use y, and i use L for everything never touch R except for wave dash out of shield

Kanelol

Smash Lord
we should have an official thread where people can talk about their button set ups

no one cares about it but everyone wants to talk about it

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So, what's the best way to punish a missed rest at low percents? The Puff I play honestly rarely misses rests (so I don't get too many opportunities to punish it anyway), and when he does I usually just try to get a little bread-and-butter combo off, but with varying success.

unknown522

Some guy
d-air -> shine -> d-air -> pressure.

If she's over 15% when she misses the rest, but is under 30% then: d-air -> d-air -> shine -> d-air -> etc. The first d-air has to be low though.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
d-air -> shine -> d-air -> pressure.

If she's over 15% when she misses the rest, but is under 30% then: d-air -> d-air -> shine -> d-air -> etc. The first d-air has to be low though.
Alright, that's what I figured, thanks.
The best I usually ever get on Puff is dair -> dair -> tech chase something, probably another dair, haha.

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Why would you shine a Jigglypuff when you could hit him with an Uptilt (easier to combo with) or another Dair -> tech chase? xP
I think even Dair -> grab -> something is way better then a shine. Most of the times, if they DI correctly, you can't follow them with anything but a lazer x(

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Also, I've hit a wall. I've been stuck at the same level for, like, two months (or more) now. From day to day I either play the same or really poorly. What do I do? Pray? Take a break? Sacrifice small animals to the Sun God?

Sion

Island of Horizon
i've hit that wall many times myself, so i know exactly how it feels. getting over this plateau is different for every person imo. i'm not sure how i can help you, but i can tell you how i got on the road to improvement.

1. i polished my technical skill so that even in tournament, i'd hit at least a bit more technical moves.
2. i took risks. it certainly didn't get me the wins, but i learned how to deem what was too risky and what yielded better rewards for the risk, making the risk worth it.
3. i watched tons of videos.
4. i played players good and bad. they all taught me something.
5. i experimented with a hell of a lot with moves i would've never thought of using.

#4/5 was mostly friendlies, but tournament and mms were mixed in.
i wish you all the best in climbing the wall of improvement.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Appreciate the tips, man.
Lately I've just been catching myself auto-piloting basic Falco stuff. I know I'm capable of better, and I know what I do need to improve on, but I guess I'm not thinking ahead enough in my matches. I find myself getting shield grabbed way too much, not using any kind of mind games, approaching the same way, etc. I think I've just overplayed Falco and autopilot. I guess I need to take a break, haha.

Also, for some reason, I've become worse on small stages.

Sion

Island of Horizon
breaks are definitely good and can clear up your mind. as for me, i took a year or two break when i hit that wall and focused on school and other things. what some others sometimes do is they switch characters to help improve other aspects of their game. during the 1-2 year break, i just played casually and picked up a low tier. it helped me focus on aspects like spacing, not getting grabbed, smart play, etc.

and stage preference kills me, haha. i happen to do better on some stages over others, and i can't really get rid of the habit.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
breaks are definitely good and can clear up your mind. as for me, i took a year or two break when i hit that wall and focused on school and other things. what some others sometimes do is they switch characters to help improve other aspects of their game. during the 1-2 year break, i just played casually and picked up a low tier. it helped me focus on aspects like spacing, not getting grabbed, smart play, etc.

and stage preference kills me, haha. i happen to do better on some stages over others, and i can't really get rid of the habit.
Yeah, me and my friends have been on a Melee binge this summer. College is just a month away, so I'll probably be playing a lot less... unless my roommate happens to play.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
1) you can almost definitely find people who play at your school or nearby unless it's really small. i found a lot of cool guys to play with at my college.

2) getting over a hump is a hard thing to do. it requires a lot of smash introspection. there's a quote that i'm currently not in a position to find about improvement that comes down to basically:
when people hit a plateau at something they're good at, there are three things they do:

a) give up or resign themselves to not improving

b) shore up individual holes in their game, but ultimately stay on the plateau with a bigger bag of tricks

c) start looking at the game a different way and seeing why what they're doing isn't making them improve anymore.

what you want to do is c. ideally you'd record yourself and study the videos. in addition to finding bad habits, you need to think about how you approach the game. instead of saying, 'i need to pillar less because it's not working' you need to understand why, things like that. start focusing on the issues behind the losses, not the immediate results. think about why you throw moves out in the places you do, and what better players do in similar situations. just spend a lot of time thinking about how your approach to the game or to matchups can be improved.

practicing tech skill and stuff won't ever get you to a higher plateau, you'll do the same mediocre stuff with greater consistency. you need to understand how you think about the game and then improve your own thinking.

Taking risks in games and thinking about (not just noticing patterns, thinking about the ideas behind) what works and what doesn't is a great step, though.

for a simpler solution: what's your problem? if your tech skill is weak, play a lot of fox and get your fingers faster. if your spacing is weak, play a lot of jiggs and thinking about space and positioning. if your punishment game is lacking, play marth or sheik for a while, because their games are punishment-heavy. if you're too offensive, play on bigger stages and watch jman games. if you're too defensive (don't capitalize on openings and put your opponent in risky spots), play on smaller stages or play a pressure-heavy fox.

it's all about figuring out why exactly you aren't improving and rethinking your approach to that aspect of the game.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I definitely know where you're coming from, and you're totally right. At this point, I just need to take a step back and reevaluate the big picture. I definitely have some other little issues in my game, but I really don't think that's what's holding me back.

I appreciate all the tips, guys. Falco boards = too good.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion

Yeah, I agree, hopefully Sion's awesome advice helps you out... Axe and myself did what Sion just stated and what I have bolded.......soo.. ummm... just a thought but..uhhh, maybe

Play, Pikachu? or Yoshi??? pullleeeeeeezz??

^^

but yeah, good luck to you for real...

Sion you should play Yoshi too ^^

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Yoshi's amazing! ^^ I got some new videos vs Axe's Falco/Pikachu... you all should watch it's a pretty good watch ^^ they'll be up later this afternoon ^^ <33

and this is Falco forum... we did Falco stuff too.. so I should post those too ^^

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Good set, I definitely took some notes.

One thing I'd say is that whole edgeguarding marth thing could be more solid. I really like that waveland off the stage instabair (shoutout to Zhu) that puts him out of position to gimp you and out of position to take the ledge. Just my $.02. MM at APEX?

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion

One thing I'd say is that whole edgeguarding marth thing could be more solid. I really like that waveland off the stage instabair (shoutout to Zhu) that puts him out of position to gimp you and out of position to take the ledge. Just my $.02. MM at APEX?
Signature move =)

unknown522

Some guy

let's do it. Bo5 + how much?

Also, thanks.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
hehe, I know this is Falco, so you guys SHOULD watch the Axe's Falco... I'll post me/Axe's Falco dittos in a different thread.. bur since the Yoshi thread(s) are kinda dead....

Dr. PP, and any/all of you in here should ummm.. well uhhh.. watch/rate/critique my Yoshi vs Axe por favor... <3 you all ^^

These were best 3 Out Of 5

V3ctorMan (Yoshi) vs Axe (Pikachu)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awK_WdXj12g - Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4GDoih8CU - Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTKTrsvIU0k - Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rbnqlW5R7Q - Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86I13X1XPA - Game 5

And these were best 2 out of 3

V3ctorMan (Yoshi) vs Axe (Falco)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnTx-7c-iQ - Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axMM6twD4YM - Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH6nkbOy6-4 - Game 3

I'm a Falco player so is this ok? hehe <3333333333333

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Hey, PP, how do I be good?

Could you tell me any other things like "Shine is one of the best attacks to tech chase with"? Obviously not all relating to shine, but stuff like it.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ughhh I still have to critique vman and baxon! Sorry guys, I've been kinda busy. I shoullld be able to get that knocked out today if my internet cooperates.

@MDZ: Most people tend to find their own ways to see the game and exploit that as hard as possible to be good. I could tell you about what works for me, if you want.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Ughhh I still have to critique vman and baxon! Sorry guys, I've been kinda busy. I shoullld be able to get that knocked out today if my internet cooperates.

@MDZ: Most people tend to find their own ways to see the game and exploit that as hard as possible to be good. I could tell you about what works for me, if you want.
Yeah. That works.

I already have my own style and things I find work well, of course. Just that I'm open to hear what other people do and good tips in general, you know?
For whatever reason I learn better when someone tells me what is a good thing to do/practice.

Top Bottom