• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Armada

Smash Lord
Mm, OK, that was an overstatement, my bad.

But it would have been a 3-0 if m2k didn't decide to lol away the 3rd game by hopping off the stage. The set wasn't free for DoH2K, but it wasn't particularly close either.

It, uh, it means that they lost to SFAT/PewPewU. Lol. What else would it mean?

The match that I'm referring to is a friendly, but nevertheless.

MEH I probably shouldn't be so sure. Maybe UGS would take it. I'd def. lay $ on M2DoH, tho

A friendly?
I love when people only take a couple friendlis and then judge but don´t care about tournaments. First of all yes Sfat/PewPewU is really good and better than I expected BUT they placed 9 at Genesis and that is lower the UGS worst placeing (7th at the first genesis).

They also lost to baka/Westballs in losers a team we beat in losers the next round after Sfat/PewPewU were out from the tournament.
Also the fact that me and Aniolas was the last team to take a set from Mango/Lucky and almost took a second one at the last Apex. Guess you have a hard time to admit that Europe actually is way better than you think =).

Would love to play against Mango/Lucky at Genesis but we lost to Haxbox twice and I honestly think that´s the hardest team for me and Aniolas to play against.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Hehe, that pattern appears once more. It's not about who you beat but who you lost to.

Armada, apparently, you haven't played a team with me in it. ;)

Niko45

Smash Master
How does up throw shine work on spacies at low %?

Sometimes it works for me and sometimes I seem to miss it or get shined out of it. Am I just slow or is it not guaranteed?

mers

Smash Ace
How does up throw shine work on spacies at low %?

Sometimes it works for me and sometimes I seem to miss it or get shined out of it. Am I just slow or is it not guaranteed?
I don't think anything is really guaranteed out of uthrow. So many opportunities to DI/SDI make everything a mixup. When I get uthrown by Falco I generally just hold straight up, it seems to be the hardest to follow.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Sigh... when will everyone learn? In a battle between Marth and Sheik, the winner is Kirby. Always. Never fails. Period.

:phone:

PB&J

Smash Hero
i want to play all the falcos going to apex,so find me and we will play lots of games,ill falco ditto you and play fox too,ill try not to combo too hard though..jk..lol..kinda.. i really want to play you too

and

Pp- we must play again,ive been training hardcore since to7

Max?

Smash Champion
*sees falco matchup discussion*

It's almost like he beats everyone and doesn't have a bad matchup at all.....

hmmmmmmmm

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
just curious but who does everyone think the good falcos are?

i dont want to start anything (or do i)
i just want to know more good falcos to learn from and watch out for

Druggedfox

Smash Champion

Watch PP Mango and Zhu. Edit: Yeah axe is good, sorry I forgot to mention him. You have to be careful watching him though, a lot of the stuff he does is good, but a lot of it isn't. You should probably do a lot more picking and choosing what to learn from if you watch him.

That's about it for good falcos to watch and learn from, honestly.

There are probably plenty more you should watch out for though ;)

Moooose

Smash Champion
Samus isn't hard for falco at all

Losing to samus requires you to run into her moves. If you're not running straight into samus' stuff (read: don't get WD back dsmashed/uptilted/whatever) the matchup becomes infinitely difficult for samus. She doesn't have a good way to deal with lasers, falco can actually combo/edgeguard her, if she goes into the air she auto loses. Yes I'm probably biased but idgaf >_>

Anyway, I think fox/marth are probably falco's hardest matchups when played well at a top level by both players.
yea thats definitely a huge oversimplification. samus isn't bad enough that you can just say do this this this and youll win. although i do think falco has a slight edge in the matchup

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
It's not *really* an oversimplification since I wasn't claiming its all you needed to know; if all of you want to misinterpret what you read that's fine by me, but it's certainly not what I said.

I never said do X, Y, Z and you'll win. I said that Samus doesn't have a good way of dealing with falco's lasers. I said that falco has an easier time fighting her than most characters, because he can actually combo her pretty well. I said that Samus does, in fact, auto lose to pretty much every half decent character if she jumps into the air.

Everything I said is 100% accurate, so yeah.

Idk I'm just tired of people saying for years and years that samus falco is an even matchup (or slightly in either of their favors). Samus as a character relies on you running into her moves, more or less because her grab is awful so you have very little incentive *not* to shield camp. It's just like fighting zelda.

Edit: Fair enough warhawk, it's just that the opinion that samus does particularly well vs falco has been around so long I got tired of seeing it >_> I think all the characters above samus, more or less, do better against falco than samus does... so eh, idk. Sorry though, and yeah, falco doesn't really have all that many bad matchups =P

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I wasn't trying to say that Samus vs Falco was in Samus' favor or anything, just that its harder than most matchups for him. I think its in Falco's favor, its just that Falco has so few negative matchups that its worse than most matchups for him.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Alright shield pressure post; disagree and don't take anything from it if you think I'm wrong. If you wanna try some stuff out, awesome; hopefully it helps out ^_^

Approaching the shield:

1) I'm tired of seeing people spamming overshoot+early aerial combination when attacking a shield (this includes myself >_>). Yes, it's safe... no you don't really accomplish anything 90% of the time. A good player will *immediately* either punish or WD OoS in the *opposite* direction that you're going. It can be a pretty cool tactic to use to see if they'll let you get away with it; if they won't, a lot of the time you can bait their OoS attack and punish that. This still isn't a reliable option that really beats all that much; you can use it to abuse your opponent as a player, but you should be trying to find things that are a lot more solid overall. You can use this, don't get me wrong, just be more aware of how you're using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIZh0KGPq80#t=1m19s

He does the early aerial go behind shield thing. He probably could have done something better after going behind the shield, but regardless it's a good example to prove a point. A lot of the time if you overshoot your shine will whiff if you do it so that's not even safe. You can immediately uptilt but a lot of characters (like marth) will just WD OoS away and instantly **** you (for marth, he can just tipper fsmash you); additionally, if they just stay in shield they can punish the uptilt on shield (unless they're bad like falcon... well, even he can reverse up-b OoS but that's only good if falco isn't at low %).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIZh0KGPq80#t=1m45s .... >______>

Anyway, you don't really get anything big out of doing this unless it's on falcon/ganon, and even then you could probably doing something more productive.

Another thing with this is that 80% of the time (arbitrary number, but the % is pretty dang high) in a position like that your oppponent has *already* committed to shielding, so you can probably get away with delaying your aerial more so that it's actually useful (waveshining behind their shield, doing a second aerial without a shine in between, whatever you want). If you're doing the early aerial to stop them from hitting you OoS before you get to them, that's fine. If you're doing this two and three times and your opponent keeps sitting there shielding... just take advantage of it and delay more.

2) Alright, that rant's over. Next thing I want to talk about is nair vs dair. First of all, nair has less lag so it's going to be harder to punish on shield (I think 2 frames less). Second of all, you want to be taking into account the horizontal range on each of them (not just when actually pressuring, but when actually *approaching*).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_zRBQu1y-c

Look at the very first nair mango does. Yes I realize it has nothing to do with shielding, and yes I realize over could have faired earlier. Despite both of those things, the idea of the range on the nair coming in handy is the same, and you can apply the same concept to when your approaches. If you're fighting sheik, for example, the fact that she can SH early OoS and try to intercept your approach is huge. If sheik is SHing in place or retreating OoS then fairing, the range on nair can be very, very useful for stuffing her fair. If you dair, even though it has more priority, you'll probably just get outranged horizontally and lose. On the other hand, because dair has way more priority, if you think something like ftilt is coming and you want to stuff it, you want to be abusing the priority on your dair rather than the range on nair (nair has no chance of outranging her ftilt, dair can stuff it as its coming out because it comes out from bottom to top and because falco's downair is stupid).

3) I don't have much to go in depth with on this one. All I really have to say is that people should start doing their initial aerials in ways that can't be shield grabbed/punished more often. For example, if you're coming down from a platform on battlefield with a dair on their shield, pull back the slightest bit. Don't come down retreating, because then it makes it obvious what you're going for; initially hit their shield so that you're sort of barely touching it then near the end hold a bit back. Things like that are really easy to abuse, trickier than things like the mango pull back nair trick, and put you incredible positions.

Think of how other characters play. Marth and sheik don't just fair right into your shield; falco doesn't have to either. Just because you have a broken shine doesn't mean you should be on top of your opponent 24/7; spacing around your opponent's shield generally puts you in a better position than dairing in such a way that your only safe option is shine because of the many more options you gain.

Once you've hit their shield:

1) The most underused thing (and I've already brought this up in the thread before) is abusing SPACING rather than thinking about frame data or other things when it comes to shield pressure. The grab box is a circle, so there are weak points on the circle. People usually think of this as pretty obvious horizontally, but not really vertically. For example, if I told someone to stay out of shield grab range, their first thought is that they should be spaced far enough away horizontally (like after a retreating nair on shield) that they can't be grabbed. Well, you can also achieve this vertically by SHing to positions where the vertical part of the grab hitbox isn't as high.

This allows you to delay your aerials more while still maintaining a position you can't be grabbed in. People don't really do this, and it's incredibly important. Here's a good example of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_jot4iR6DU#t=6m36s

Pay attention right when mango double lasers from the ledge. It's not because of some timing trick; it's a spacing thing. His first shine was in a position such that he could jump into a range that ganon simply *could not* grab.

He does a similar one almost immediately afterwards at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_jot4iR6DU#t=6m40s

Note that he jumps *over* ganon's grab, but he does this by jumping *into* him. He simply jumps into a position that is outside of ganon's grab range. Someone like fox couldn't do this because his SH doesn't go as high, and his shine has a tiny bit less shieldstun.

Tl;dr: You can be out of shield grab range both vertically and horizontally, learn to abuse the vertical.

2) Shine grab. Yeah it's awesome. It's honestly a very good way to condition your opponent, just be aware that often you lose pressure by going for it (if they roll out or something). The big thing with shine grabbing imo is being aware of why you're doing it. For example, if your opponent's shield is pretty low there's probably a lot of things you could be doing to try keep it low and give you lots of pressure/stray hits that would lead to things preferable to grabbing them. On the other hand if you're fighting someone with good OoS options and they have a pretty full shield, doing a shine grab immediately isn't such a bad idea.

The most important thing here is to be aware of how your opponent begins to avoid your shine grabs. If they're not doing anything about it then just shine grab everytime you hit their shield, get free damage/combos and get a free win. When they do avoid it, what are they doing? Are they buffering a roll/spotdodge? Are they nairing OoS? (I think sheik can do this). As soon as you observe what they're doing to avoid it, you can start getting free punishes that are stronger than grabs, and you'll be really abusing falco's pressure correctly.

3) Immediate aerials. Alright, two main uses here: 1) shield poking, 2) cover any of their immediate OoS options while being safe. I think people do 2 a lot, but rarely 1. More or less, if you think your opponent is going to try to move/attack/do something immediately after you shine their shield, just do a retreating nair/dair. Once again, take into account the spacing; if you're spaced a bit further back, you can probably retreating nair more effectively. On the other hand if you're super close up, retreating dair could stuff their options better, as well as giving you a stronger follow up (I've done things like retreating dair --> hit, dtilt before, it's decently good). It's a pretty good option to open with just because it gives you the chance to see how your opponent reacts to the situation. If you're fighting people who are good, the whole gimmick of baiting a grab really shouldn't be working often enough for that to be your main use for it; it'll probably do really well vs more mediocre players, but your goal shouldn't really be to bait grabs with this. It should be more to stuff fox upsmash OoS etc. That said, anything's possible if you condition them well enough, so even vs good players you *could* use it to bait a grab or something, but whatever that's less likely; I figure I had to say that just before everybody jumped at the statement and was like "jfeiojfioafa you can do it on good players too!" >_>

The other use for immediate aerial is honestly pretty good *and* pretty underused. On a lot of characters whose shields are worse (lol marth) you can do retreating nairs to hit their head and it'll shield poke quite a bit of the time (you can also shield poke with dair, but it's harder to do while retreating). Just start becoming more aware of the situation, and you'll learn when you can and can't shield poke with it. It's also pretty good to learn to use timings so that they're not *quite* immediate, but still more or less impossible to punish.

Use tiny delays and such to your advantage to achieve a better effect without risking anything. For example if you wait just a tiny bit longer before doing the "immediate" nair, you'll be higher in the air and have a better chance of shield poking. Dair is also pretty good for shield poking, but in a different way; it's harder to do if you do an immediate+retreating dair, but it's pretty good if you're directly on top of them and such.

4) Multishines. I like using them a lot for a bit of extra shield decay on their part; think like, I've already landed 2 iterations of pressure and their shield is getting pretty low, so a double shine-->immediate aerial will probably poke, where as a single shine-->aerial might be less guaranteed. Just be aware that more and more people are shield DI'ing nowadays, and if your first shine isn't really close to them you have a pretty high chance of missing the second shine and just getting grabbed as the shine whiffs. That said, you probably don't want to be double shining in general if your first shine is spaced decently far from them.

This sort of leads to a tangent of: you're not just randomly mixing up your options, but rather you need to be aware of the situation and exactly what will and won't work. A lot of the time I'll find myself watching someone double shine and think to myself "that was a terrible double shine" and it's pretty obvious that they were just throwing it in there without really understanding that, for example, if your initial shine is spaced you probably shouldn't be doing a second one.

Additionally, if you double shine perfectly your opponent will only have 2 frames in which they are not in shieldstun. This is where actually leaving the ground after your first shine comes in handy (and probably wavelanding onto a platform or something). That way you leave a gap in shield stun for your opponent to do whatever they want; it's a frame trap, and it works pretty damn well if you use it sparingly. If you do this, try not to waveland directly above your opponent because that'll just get you *****; if possible, try to waveland in a way that makes you harder to hit, or just shield and then find a way to punish/get back into a good position (shield drop, immediate WD OoS off the platform, w/e). If you notice they're consistently buffering various things out of your pressure, grounded shine might be the way to go to catch them out of it.

Hmm I randomly burned out so... that's it I guess. There's a lot more stuff to talk about, but maybe that can come later. (after PP comes gets back and starts posting, maybe =P)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Watch PP Mango and Zhu. Edit: Yeah axe is good, sorry I forgot to mention him. You have to be careful watching him though, a lot of the stuff he does is good, but a lot of it isn't. You should probably do a lot more picking and choosing what to learn from if you watch him.

That's about it for good falcos to watch and learn from, honestly.

There are probably plenty more you should watch out for though ;)
I'll hopefully be on the radar some time soon. I've been improving pretty quickly again. :3

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman

USA: Dr. PP, Mango, Zhu, Shiz, Lambchops, Forward, PC Chris and I guess Axe as well. I love his Falco and I find it very entertaining but he's often making "bad" decisions just to be flashy, so meh.

Europe: Aldwyn, Faab, Baxon, Leffen, Zgetto and Amsah (not really a Falco main but it's still good)

Japan: Hiko and Kou (they're both very smart players and their spacing is awesome)

Of course there are more, but these are the best ones for sure. Hope I didn't leave anyone out xP

Paju

Smash Journeyman
USA: Dr. PP, Mango, Zhu, Shiz, Lambchops, Forward, PC Chris and I guess Axe as well. I love his Falco and I find it very entertaining but he's often making "bad" decisions just to be flashy, so meh.

Europe: Aldwyn, Faab, Baxon, Leffen, Zgetto and Amsah (not really a Falco main but it's still good)

Japan: Hiko and Kou (they're both very smart players and their spacing is awesome)

Of course there are more, but these are the best ones for sure. Hope I didn't leave anyone out xP
I would also add Adam, Calle W and Pasi in the European category.

PB&J

Smash Hero
Sion and blunted object have new vids against silent wolf and westballz,they do some good things in there,still a little sloppy at points but they have aolot of potential and are up and coming falco players

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's why you should watch them. A lot of people look at Axe or Silent Wolf and think "omg if I can go THAT fast I'll be that good for sure", and they end up trying to shine-turnaround-perfect waveland-edge cancel-something and get ***** for it because it was a dumb thing to do. People like Forward, PC and PP (in modern metagame) don't overcomplicate things when there is no need to do that. Their gameplay is very "simple" and yet very effective, because they have a solid grasp of the game fundamentals. Watching some old Falco vids can also teach you how to mix up your combos. People nowadays are overconfident in shine-waveland combos, even when it's not the best option. Forward and PC played way before it was introduced as a common tool, so it could be useful to get new (= old, but underused) ideas as well. Even though PeePee's recent videos show a clear improvement in tech skills, I feel like his Falco is one of the least technical I've ever seen, yet one of the best (probably THE best). Same goes for Faab and Aldwyn (and Kou).
I don't know if it's clear enough lol, I hope I did xP

tl;dr = don't underestimate oldschool/not-technical players'

Also @ Paju: I totally forgot Adam, but it's been a long time since I saw him playing, so I thought he kinda stopped playing (seriously) lol. Does Pasi play Falco as well? I know his Fox is damn good, but I only saw a few vids of his Falco and it was... meh, it looked good just because HE's good, not because he has a deep knowledge of the character, but I might be wrong. I can usually spot the difference by Falco players and Fox players' Falcos because their movements/move choices are usually so werid lol
And Calle W... I don't wanna really go through it, but he's way too hyped and overrated. I would never advice watching his videos if you're searching for something useful to get better at playing D:

[Edit: LOL YEAH! totally forgot about Sion and BO. I love their Falcos =D
Sion really reminds me of Chops' in his prime and BO is really smart]

PB&J

Smash Hero
Pp 's falco is very technical,its sad people think it isnt,but my idea of technical is controll over your character and being able to combo,etc. Alot if new falcos try to copy other top players and have no idea why they are doing it. I watched a vid recently where a falco was using bair over and over when there opponent was on the other side. of the stage. Silentwag-i would watch overtriforce @ apex play falco's,besides him trying to force too many grabs,everything else is really good

Divinokage

Smash Legend
PB, Sion is not an up and comer anymore, he's become pro imo.

And yes PC is still really good, idk what you guys are talking about, did any of you play him at RoM 4? =)

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Pp 's falco is very technical,its sad people think it isnt,but my idea of technical is controll over your character and being able to combo,etc. Alot if new falcos try to copy other top players and have no idea why they are doing it. I watched a vid recently where a falco was using bair over and over when there opponent was on the other side. of the stage. Silentwag-i would watch overtriforce @ apex play falco's,besides him trying to force too many grabs,everything else is really good

Well it's pretty easy to understand by the context that I didn't use the word "technical" with that meaning. I meant PP has a very simple yet effective playstyle, based on the mastery of the basic AT's, without overcomplicating things too much with multishines, shineturnarounds, shield drops etc. There's no doubt that Axe or SW, for example, are way more technical than PP (i.e. their playstyle is heavily based on technical stuff), but PP is more effective anyway.
Defining technical players as "people that execute correctly what they wanted to do" is quite unrelevant to the point I was trying to make.
Of course I never said or implied that PP's Falco is slow or sloppy, just "simple" (he's been saying that for years now)

Top Bottom