• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

EWC

Smash Ace
If you down smash and they do a non-rolling tech then they will get out of lag at least 13 frames before you. If they do a tech roll you get at most 1 frame of advantage.

If they are too low for dtilt to kill and they have demonstrated competence at teching dsmash then you're probably better off just bairing them off again.

Also, laser-> dtilt super spaced is the best approach in the game. Get so many shield pokes that way.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Comboing with Dtilt on FF'ers is pretty cool. They go nowhere if they DI in which is really nice for combos and super far if they DI away so they could go offstage and that could be a pretty early kill if it works out.

Killing with Dtilt is obviously **** as well.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i use dtilt a lot against falcon. i'm not sure why only against falcon but im pretty sure most of my use is against him.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I'm really uncomfortable with going for shield pokes in general because I'm don't know when they will work. Are you guys able to tell when it'll poke just by looking at their shield, or by knowing their approximate shield size from how much it's been worn down recently, or what?

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
Yeah my guess would be learning shield poking like that is going to take a lot of time. Its probably possible to tell based on the size of the shield and how much of the character is exposed, but also you have to pay attention to stuff like which way they are tilting their shield.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't pay attention to ****. I've never seen a shield I couldn't poke (except for ****ing Sheik, god damn that ****). Just pretend you're trying to phantom hit and you can get shield pokes all day. I may be slightly biased though since I play vs. a Marth who trigger tricks. lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Comboing with Dtilt on FF'ers is pretty cool. They go nowhere if they DI in which is really nice for combos and super far if they DI away so they could go offstage and that could be a pretty early kill if it works out.

Killing with Dtilt is obviously **** as well.
You can combo Dtilt at mid % right? Like 50-60?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I don't pay attention to ****. I've never seen a shield I couldn't poke (except for ****ing Sheik, god damn that ****). Just pretend you're trying to phantom hit and you can get shield pokes all day. I may be slightly biased though since I play vs. a Marth who trigger tricks. lol
What do you mean by saying "I may be slightly biased..." etc

You mean where you hold L before plugging in your controller? How does that affect shield poking?

Niko45

Smash Master
Actually I've really been wondering about how shield poking works recently.

Basically the priority of shield vs an exposed hurtbox.

Like, if I do a move that comes in contact with both the exposed part of the character's hurtbox and also hits their shield, does shielding take priority or does a move just automatically shield poke if a hitbox hits any exposed hurtbox?

Based on the way it feels it seems like shielding takes priority and basically you have to space your move to hit only the exposed hurtbox and not touch the shield at all in order to get a shield poke, but if anyone knows for sure how this works please let me know.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya you have to use your hitbox in a way where the shield is not because if you hit the shield then you won't shield poke. You have to hit exposed parts of the character's body, for example even Falco's feather on top of his head but you definitely have to be extremely precise with moves if you want to poke through. It gets easier when the shield is smaller of course.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well I've gotten through full shield before with Ganon's bair for example, I just aimed at the top of the feather or like Marth's head, it works. lol.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
[collapse=tired]so i'm imagining improving in ssbm as if it were a journey on some moving platform on a track
and the platform doesn't stop moving, but you're free to get off if you choose
but as you ride you are improving, and your friends hop on and ride w/ you for a bit
but for the most part you're alone on this platform, traveling deeper and deeper, steadily
and you come up on some players who have stepped off the platform for good
and you wave to them eagerly, you encourage them to board w/ you, tell them you can ride with me! we can ride together, it'll be wonderful!
but for their own reasons they decline, and slowly you travel past them and lose sight of them
but it's not always like that, cause you also pass players who maybe walk along w/ the platform for a bit, and give you advice, maybe some heads up on what you might encounter up ahead
but the platform keeps moving, and eventually you leave them behind as well[/collapse]
I liked this a lot, and I kinda needed it. Thanks. :)

(except for ****ing Sheik, god damn that ****).
UGH. I hate that *****'s shield. I've given up on poking her shield, and I just grab.

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
Yeah ive kind of wondered this about myself. When we see shield how come we sometimes hit it nstead of grab/dd grab. I think questions like this really illustrate how much more I have to learn about the game. But like I often think to mysel when I like bair past their shield "if only i'd grabbed dthere i might have something going".

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i hit shields sometimes because some people like to roll right as they see my move. but your shield drops before you actually get invincibility, so they just get hit.

also, given how ganon can dair under shields, i believe that if, for a frame, an active attacking hitbox hits only an opponents hitbox that isn't shielded, the hit will get taken. no matter how many of ganons hitboxes are in the shield, the bottom hitbox hitting the feet is what matters.

G

genkaku

developing the ability to resist the urge to hit shields will instantly make me a better player.
so hard...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Why's that? Sometimes it could be good to bait something OOS and then you can hit them. But then you'll think of going for a grab but they'll know that.. and you'll get punished. Hehe, the mix-ups!

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
yeah thats true. dash dance do nothing is often good when the opponent is near the ledge cos it scares them into doing something silly like roll oos. one of the things i think my falco is really missing is the ability to respond accurately when i get free access to their shields.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i must admit, when i make a true note to grab shields when i see them, it helps me. mostly because as ganon i don't have much direct shield pressure anyways, and after two hits, my work on a shield is done, but i get direct follows out of grabs.

but grabbing every time isn't great either, cause people will just hit you before you grab.

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, thats true so its important to be kind of random on people's shields, even though the shielding person already has limited options. If i hit nair/dair shine nair/dair, is that safe on shield if i do it perfectly, or can they grab/wd back fsmash/ etc. against it?

EWC

Smash Ace
The only way grab will be reliably good is if they are consistently sitting in their shield too much.You need to mix it up; Sometimes you grab and that'll make them more eager to get out of shield and then you can get more hits. And visa-versa: If you attack a lot and don't grab they'll feel more comfortable in shield and you can land more grabs. That's shield pressure 201.

Pi

Smash Hero
well perhaps with the proper spacing/timing

but i feel like a lot of lower/mid level falco's feel like they can just get away with dair shining on shield when that doesn't really carry over into high level play
and you're giving up prime opportunities to discovery the nuances of what people like to do OoS which you will need later on

sapce jab pressure, do retreating aerials, delay ur dair/nair whatever

but don't just laser laser dair shine auto pilot, ur just wasting opportunities to learn and improve

oliman

Smash Journeyman
yeah i know i was going into autopilot shield pressure, and i normally shield grab and space way better around shield, but i was nervous.

also, for the record, i dont usually laser as much as i did but it was a combination of not thinking straight and facing peach that made me laser that much.

Top Bottom