• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i do it on reaction a lot.

Like i'll be pressuring with traditional stuff and they would roll, and I just jump out of my shine and laser on reaction and follow up. I don't ever do it otherwise though.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
heeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yeah I wish you had helped me learn it more so I guess laugh it up. Good stuff?

I think Sheik's is Falco's worst matchup atm.

I made an aim post about it last night:

"sheik can stuff lasers like marth can, has incredible OOS options, quick attacks that make her approaches and defenses more intimidating, a tech chase that lasts longer than marth's CG and can easily be KO'd from, easy combos that are infrequently missed, powerful bair and fair spacing/pressure tools both for on and off platform game, very solid edgeguard on falco, floaty enough to where hard DI offstage ends combos or even away enough so that combos remain unfinished on platformed stages, sheik is safe from below vs falco(which is somewhat of a normal weakness for her....falco uptilt usually trades with her stuff which sucks for him), needle game allows sheik to control diagonals to force a standoff game should falco camp, great platform movement(beating falco's weakness from above and exploiting her fair/bair/needle properties nicely while simultaneously ****** Falco's poor mobility horizontally), and even has an overall stage advantage once you ban FD(sheik is fine on RC but gets brinstar as gay CP). there was one more thing but i forgot it."

I'd also like to emphasize that Sheik is extremely hard to combo due to her floatiness and the existence of SDI, as well as the fact that Sheik's basic drop down aerial when Falco approaches to just hopping back on a platform on whiff is surprisingly hard to deal with as the camping game is somewhat even so it's better for Falco to approach. Also I believe Falco should approach just because Sheik walking at Falco and spacing on him or taking a laser then hitting him or any of her other countermeasures is extremely hard for Falco to deal with with his slower speed and only comparable range/priority on his moves vs hers.

PS: Marth matchup I understand somewhat better now. It may be even but eh not sure.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
My thoughts on the match up:

both characters are silly. Sheik is more silly.

Play fox.

If you're stubborn like me, shoot your gun and hold down a lot.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
hmm..i feel like uptilt usually flat out beats sheiks from below.
I also think she's easy to regardless of sdi

everything else is true though.

but you neglect to mention her faults, like getting edgeguard looped to death, and susceptibility to CC, and bad aerial speed/mobility which makes jumping/being airborn a bad choice. a lot of time you can punish her nair oos even when it hits cuz she's slow in the air.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I've had plenty of well spaced uptilts trade.

Dair shine a Sheik SDI'ing both hits away starting on a platform at really any %(at least those wherein Sheik doesn't get knocked down from Dair stun). Combo over.

I neglect to mention her faults because everyone knows the obvious stuff, I'm trying to point out why Falco loses.

Edgeguard loop gives more chances to mess up and give Sheik a chance to live than just outright killing Falco though...

Eh spaced moves from platforms or needles get around CC well enough.

Jumping is only really done to get a Fair/Bair out or get on a platform, which is all safe enough.

That punish is pretty situational.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
what are the uptilts trading with? fairs and spaced bairs i assume?

I know out right killing is better, but i mention edgeguaring looping because you mention that she has a good edgeguard on falco. its true, but she doesn't have anything certain or "garunteed" in the same way that falco has a relatively guaranteed edgeguard loop.

and i think a balanced critique, inlcuding her faults, is better. I know you're pointing out why falco loses, but it gives the impression that falco gets completely destroyed. Especially when you only list her strong points and when falco's strong points are brought up, you counter everything with "they can do X to beat your Y". And i think u should do the same thing for sheik, especially because it would help falco players in the matchup to know how to counter her stuff, instead of it just being like "falco loses because of all these good things sheik has"

D

Deleted member

have people never read my thread before? I've suggested dropping lasers to learn how to play with them forever now. I mean, I'm happy people are learning to do it, but I'm just kinda sad that something that's been suggested in a stickied topic for years now is just getting learned now :(. It was definitely the most useful thing Cactuar ever taught me about smash.
and one of the most useless things i told him. one of the first matches i played with cactuar was at my university right when he started in a laserless falco ditto. nothing turns a match into "whoever approaches first loses" like a marth ditto or a laserless falco ditto. we played nothing but falco dittos, marth vs my wackass peach, and GAW/Ness teams vs bad people.

*pound* @ cactus. lol we're such ***s hahahaha

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
what are the uptilts trading with? fairs and spaced bairs i assume?

I know out right killing is better, but i mention edgeguaring looping because you mention that she has a good edgeguard on falco. its true, but she doesn't have anything certain or "garunteed" in the same way that falco has a relatively guaranteed edgeguard loop.

and i think a balanced critique, inlcuding her faults, is better. I know you're pointing out why falco loses, but it gives the impression that falco gets completely destroyed. Especially when you only list her strong points and when falco's strong points are brought up, you counter everything with "they can do X to beat your Y". And i think u should do the same thing for sheik, especially because it would help falco players in the matchup to know how to counter her stuff, instead of it just being like "falco loses because of all these good things sheik has"
Trading with Nairs actually. Dair has outright beaten it before...I flipped out.

Yes a balanced critique is better but I haven't done one of those in years. I suppose it'd go something like:

Falco pros:

-laser control and mixups

-decent combo potential

-camps somewhat effectively

-Bair ***** Sheik if she's airborne and you put her there

-can shine up-B sometimes

-Tilts have comparable range to Sheik's

-somewhat effective stage control once gained.

Cons:

-can get CC punished hard

-being tope chased to death from a grab

-gimped easily

-juggled/comboed well

-lasers aren't nearly as effective as in other matchups since Sheik can counter all of their uses quite well

-somewhat weak from above and definitely weak from below

-Sheik's faster than Falco so DD punishes on aerials are possible

-very unreliable shield pressure

-loses boxing game due to Sheik's superior CC game

Sheik pros:

-superior CC/boxing game

-needles to set up an on-par camping game with Falco's in that Sheik's needles control diagonals whereas Falco controls horizontals

- up-B stalls to keep Falco away/guessing.

-SDI and floaty weight prevents lots of combos.

-powerful anti-laser game abilities including taking lasers to Ftilt/Dtilt/Dsmash or using any of those 3 moves or Fair/Bair to trade with/beat incoming lasers/approaches.

-very effective stage control once Falco is contained.

-quick platform movement allows compensation for ground mobility and abuse of needle control

-excellent shield/anti-pressure game

Cons:

-Somewhat weak from below

-weaker DD game is weakened further by lasers

-can be edgeguard looped until death even from lower percents

-has no actual approach outside of slower zoning and dash attack

-poor aerial mobility can get Sheik ***** if not in the air on her own terms

-decent combo weight

And then we'd look at what beats what....

Sheik's Bair can outrange/outprioritize any of Falco's moves(except uptilt from below kinda?). That, in addition to her solid camping and anti-pressure/laser game give Sheik an amazing defense vs Falco's usual barrage of hitboxes in any given matchup.

Sheik Ftilt vs Falco Dtilt(both seemed to be done in similar times when I played the matchup today so I figured it was worth mentioning) it seems like Sheik's Ftilt may be slightly longer but it's typically a clink.

Falco Ftilt vs Sheik Ftilt= Falco loses

Falco Dair vs Sheik Fair=trade I believe? one that sheik certainly wouldn't mind doing I imagine.

Falco Nair vs Sheik Fair=...hmm not sure on this one but I do know that it's easier to get under Sheik if she jumps higher or is falling at all with this move. Not sure what outright beats what here. Nair may win actually.

Falco Nair vs Sheik Ftilt=typically a trade, which puts falco in the air and sheik probably CC'ing....

Falco Dair vs Sheik Ftilt=I've seen this trade a lot too but Dair may technically win? I seem to always trade with Ftilt....

Falco Bair vs Sheik Fair=Falco wins

Those are the most important ones I think....

Anyway, so right now I feel like the first aspect of the matchup is neutral position from a distance aka the camping game. Falco controls the horizontal aspects of the stage with lasers and Sheik controls many odd diagonals with needles, but can also hit Falco while he's lasering from a horizontal angle with needles if needed. As Falco can change his height vertically and shoot his gun faster than Sheik can move around, but Sheik can run faster than Falco can shoot so she can position herself to do projectiles faster, I see the camp game being even. I believe Falco should approach though on the grounds that Sheik approaching with her careful zoning game is not something Falco can defend against well(not that his defense is that great anyway).

In a closer battle, Sheik can take a laser to Ftilt/Dtilt/Dsmash, or use any of those moves(D moves being ones that hit Falco if he tries to come in afterward or catch him just as he lands from lasering and Ftilt being one that can outright trade with/stuff a laser due to its reach). The importance of Fair/Bair should never be neglected here, as both of those moves can either happen before or after the laser comes out/hits their shield and defend well against approaches(with Bair>everything for sure). It then becomes Falco's job to keep Sheik pressured without making his approach patterns obvious so that he can cause a punishing move to be used and hopefully capitalize or at least gain more ground. Sheik can have easy retreats to platforms though, where she sets up her powerful camping game yet again on Falco, which makes dealing with both projectiles and possible quick dropoff Fair/Bair/needle grab or whatever followups very hard to handle given Falco's mobility and limited control of any diagonal save Bair(and even then, Bair has plenty of lag to be punished, AC'd or SHFFL'd). I'll be playing around with more of this position though, as it's very important.

Sheik never really has to approach Falco, but if she does then she has a good dash attack and Fair/Bair?/etc spacing games used to zone and threaten. the possibility of a counterattack is what makes Sheik's "approaches" that much more intimidating, as a Bair from Falco saves him from most anything Sheik tries to actually get inside without baiting Falco to approach in some way first.

Falco's shield pressure on Sheik is weaker than on Marth I've concluded. WD OOS combined with Nair OOS(just as fast as Falco's shine OOS wtf) and the fact that Sheik is tall and has a great shield all make pressuring her very difficult. Fortunately, even if Falco can't land much pressure, it can be enough to lessen Sheik's shield so that she at least plays in a more scared fashion and could possibly give Falco more openings should he be able to create them with laser mixups or some form of platform pressure. Pressuring Falco as Sheik on the other hand is very rewarding. Delayed Fair/Bair on Falco's shield are typically safe even frame-wise let alone spacing-wise, and Falco not having much to do to respond besides Dair/laser/WD/FH OOS leave a rather simple poking game that Falco must come up with an answer too quickly. Mixing in a jab game with the Fairs is something Amsah frequently does and Falco has little answer to a jab/grab mixup game other than shield grab and attempt to CC punish the jab. Sheik's zoning on Falco far outdoes his laser/zoning control on her when on the defensive in my opinion.

Sheik gets Brinstar and Falco gets FD, but both get banned typically. Sheik is fine on RC, somewhat? struggles on DL(Tope struck to there vs me twice though so maybe not), struggles on PS and possibly KJ64 as well. Sheik wins for sure on BF, FoD, and YS due to Falco not having room to set up a decent horizontal control game there while Sheik gets closer platforms to abuse her great platform movement game on, which in turn allows for stronger needle control and zoning/Fair/Bair punishment.

Alright, that's all I got and this is how I used to do these things. Is that good?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Because that won't lead to too much either.

I've tried Dair -> uptilting as well and it doesn't get me much more damage, but I guess every bit helps. Certainly still uneven punishment in my opinion though....

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i think dair -> uptilt works well they are sdi'ing.

but i htink PP was talking about at percent where dair doesn't knock them down so you don't have time to uptilt cuz they can shield.

Edit:
Alright, that's all I got and this is how I used to do these things. Is that good?
Yep, was amazing, thank you.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Sort of that strange low-mid area where Dair could pop them up or not or just before was what I was referring to. I mean, even Dair to uptilt at lower percents if you delay Dair enough is good but that doesn't get you much either because usually SDI'ing that only gets you a shine I think but maybe I just need to go combo more and think about it more.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Dair-->uptilt-->nair/dair --> improv

Don't forget falco's bread and butter dair-->shine-->shine--> bair... it does 42%. It's not as amazing as sheik's stuff, but if everytime you get a dair you get a free 40% that's pretty good too, right?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Not just at 0 >_> It works at any % that the dair doesn't pop them up into the air. If its at the point where its hitting them in the air, you can just dair uptilt etc...

Idk, its not guaranteed amazing tech chase, buts its not laughable damage. Do you think sheik is worse than peach too? =P

unknown522

Some guy
speaking of simple combos; you guys don't know about n-air -> d-air @ 35-40% (higher if they DI wrong, or if they're ganon). Sometimes you need 2 n-airs. Do it vs peach/sheik/marth/ganon/uhhhh, doc.

But yeah, it's so good when you catch them in the air with your n-air (like going under sheik's f-air), or after lasering peach out of her float, or just straight up comboing it from u-tilt.

I think Battlefield will combo break you though because of the way the platforms are on that stage, but I forget.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
@Unknown:

I prefer battlefield because of the platforms. Just easier to move around and combo for me than most other platformed stages. Yoshi's is a close second for combo potential.

unknown522

Some guy
Wouldn't they be able to shield after the Dair, or is that completely beside the point?
no no, I meant you n-air them to send them off the stage.

@Unknown:

I prefer battlefield because of the platforms. Just easier to move around and combo for me than most other platformed stages. Yoshi's is a close second for combo potential.
oh yeah, for other combos. I hate battlefield vs fox though. It's probably the only matchup I wouldn't want to play on that level.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
so you mean nair-> dair spike?

and i've come to dislike BF vs marth. the platforms are the same as yoshi's i terms of his uptilt combos, only difference is you don't have a wall to help recovery anymore. i prefer yoshis/DL/FoD

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
FoD is mehhhh. Marth mostly gains from the platforms because he has crazy ledgecancel stuff + stupid platform traps. When the platforms are low, marth can fthrow and just wait to see what you do on the platform and react with a fsmash usually... marth is gay >_> Platforms mess with your lasers, which take away control from the match. Idk, I just hate FoD.

unknown522

Some guy
yeah. I should've worded that better.

FoD is mehhhh. Marth mostly gains from the platforms because he has crazy ledgecancel stuff + stupid platform traps. When the platforms are low, marth can fthrow and just wait to see what you do on the platform and react with a fsmash usually... marth is gay >_> Platforms mess with your lasers, which take away control from the match. Idk, I just hate FoD.
yeah, I hate FoD with falco vs marth. I don't mind it with fox as much though. Waiting/hiding near platforms is so gay and annoying, along with random edge-cancel combo breakers on the platforms. It also doesn't help that the stage is small while laser use is limited there sometimes.

The edges are also kinda gay sometimes and sometimes promote further combo-breakers.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
no no, I meant you n-air them to send them off the stage.

oh yeah, for other combos. I hate battlefield vs fox though. It's probably the only matchup I wouldn't want to play on that level.
Hmmm, I don't hit Sheik with Nair at that % by the edge much at all but I'll try to keep that in mind and play around with it. Thanks!

I'm okay with BF vs Fox because it's just big enough for laser control and the combos <3

and i've come to dislike BF vs marth. the platforms are the same as yoshi's i terms of his uptilt combos, only difference is you don't have a wall to help recovery anymore. i prefer yoshis/DL/FoD
BF vs Marth is pretty gay but again combos and decent laser game make me alright with that stage. It still isn't where I'd prefer to go but I dislike FoD vs him more lol.

yeah. I should've worded that better.

yeah, I hate FoD with falco vs marth. I don't mind it with fox as much though. Waiting/hiding near platforms is so gay and annoying, along with random edge-cancel combo breakers on the platforms. It also doesn't help that the stage is small while laser use is limited there sometimes.

The edges are also kinda gay sometimes and sometimes promote further combo-breakers.
I agree dawg. S is gay. Cool Dair tricks you can do when the platforms are lower but I mean that's never been worth loss of lasers to me lol.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I thought I was the only one who ****ing hated FoD

When I heard Shiz loved it I thought maybe I was just doing it wrong

unknown522

Some guy
Hmmm, I don't hit Sheik with Nair at that % by the edge much at all but I'll try to keep that in mind and play around with it. Thanks!
np. Though sheik is probably the only character out of the ones that I listed that can recover from the spike at that percent, so make sure to hog her after (peach might be able to as well, but it's much more percent dependant).

Whenever I do it to KK, he says that I'm gay. lol

I'm okay with BF vs Fox because it's just big enough for laser control and the combos <3
haha, that's fair. That stage is one of my CPs with fox (sometimes FD or Dreamland depending on the opponent)

I agree dawg. S is gay. Cool Dair tricks you can do when the platforms are lower but I mean that's never been worth loss of lasers to me lol.
yeah, lasers are too important to give up. Though the d-air tricks are tempting. lol

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
The only reason falco players ever love it is cuz they can like... do 5 dairs in a row as a combo and the opponent can't escape. ****s whack.

unknown522

Some guy
yeah, DL is worse because the level is so big and lets fox run around and the platforms are too high to pin down fox. Just great maneuverability all around and fox can still do good combos.

And FD not only is pretty big, but there's no platforms to hide under, + CG of course.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Plus with his better recovery Fox will just live longer since he can DI things like Bair up and make it back more often than the reverse...

And yeah FD is painful. I remember when Foxes were worse there. That was nice. =p

JPOBS

Smash Hero
lots of people hate fod jus cuz its fod. people even take it off the random and reset it in friendlies lol.

i think its a good stage all around. and yea everyone already knows it can interfer with your lasers but it just means you have to laser differently/more precisely at certain times.

and people sometimes forget that it gives you advatanges as well, like marth can't upthrow->uptilt **** combo cuz the platforms are so slow, and it disrupts his chaingrabs, and makes edgecancelling out of combos easier etc etc. he eithe rhas to work harder, or resort to (predictably) fsmashing, both of which are preferrable to grab and uptilt combos to me.
not saying I'd CP there lol but i prefer it over bf lol although it can be really gay sometimes too

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Any time you have to devote to changing how you're lasering to accommodate the stage could be spent towards figuring them out on another stage, but yeah I agree if you can manage to do both or get a decent-ish plan on FoD then it becomes manageable.....still gay though lol.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero

You have more room to maneuver which is more important IMO.

I hardly ever lose to Marth players in my relative skill level (either slightly worse or slightly better) on BF or DL, and YS isn't that bad. I really dislike FD, and FoD.

CP wise I dislike DK64, and Brinstar, PS is fairly neutral but I dislike the fact that it's FD for 60s at a time, and RC is my *****.

Top Bottom