• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power Shield Canceling (PSC) New AT!

Maybe.

You can induce this with Snake's mine. Since you can either land on it and powershield or dash into and powershield.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
About the controller's springs... It's just a matter of knowing how hard you have to press it down for the shield to activate it, if you still want to have your springs in. It's gonna be harder than with the Y button since you have to divide your dexterity on two fingers instead of keeping concentration on your thumb alone. Me, I'm gonna be using L/R anyway.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I don't wanna change my controls for this cause I'm using the standard control scheme with GC but I gonna try this anyway. Also what about wiimote-nunchuck and classic controller users for this?
For Wiichuck there's actually a really easy way that doesn't mess up controls at all.

You can set a command to A+B, as well as A by itself and B by itself. If you use the A+B move and then release either button, the game will instantly execute whichever button remains pressed.

A+B to powershield
release B
Attack instantly comes out (as long as A is attack)

The only problem is that the two button shield is harder than just one button, but it's still pretty easy since you don't even have to slide a finger anywhere. The best part is that it's impossible to accidentally grab out of it because A will not come out until B has been released.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Wow, this can really give R.O.B. - and most other characters by extension - a way to finally fight back against Meta Knight and make their respective matchups with him a little better now. :O

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
7 frames is added if you shield drop, it turns your 1 frame squirtle jab punish into 8 frames, which is too many frames to punish tornado
thats only if you don't have your shield hit anything.

I seem to recall a frame data tester saying a PS has IASA frames, not that its actually cancelable.

you would be able to notice a 7 frame difference. it doesn't seem that big.

if it is 7 frames name me a move against another move that I can't use to punish an opponent from a normal PS shield drop but that I can punish from a PSC

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
thats only if you don't have your shield hit anything.

I seem to recall a frame data tester saying a PS has IASA frames, not that its actually cancelable.

you would be able to notice a 7 frame difference. it doesn't seem that big.

if it is 7 frames name me a move against another move that I can't use to punish an opponent from a normal PS shield drop but that I can punish from a PSC
utilting Lucarios F-smash with D3, like in the video.

@captainL: is there any way you could set A to Shield and A+B to attack so you could just press A then B?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
utilting Lucarios F-smash with D3, like in the video.

@captainL: is there any way you could set A to Shield and A+B to attack so you could just press A then B?
IDK what you're talking about. I'm punishing the f-smash every time.

I'm having doubts since the up-tilt was delayed in the video

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
ROB just got better (and so did snake and bowser).

And that's good news for me
Snake just got ALOT better. I feel like an idiot saying he should be number five on the tier list. Now, PSC into tilts=****. He's staying number two for a long time.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
This is something like DI: alot of people already do it (without knowing it)

Though prolly not during/against a nado

Captain L

Smash Champion
Oh I never thought of that. Yeah it works, pretty well too. The biggest problem is the fact that I'm left with a totally messed up control scheme.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
IDK what you're talking about. I'm punishing the f-smash every time.

I'm having doubts since the up-tilt was delayed in the video
I went into frame advance mode, power shielded the f-smash with D3, shield dropped, and then tried to u-tilt Lucario and he was able to power shield it

bigman40

Smash Master
GIMR, this is a regular PS. You should change it because there's no real cancel happening. You're explaining the real properties of a PS.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I went into frame advance mode, power shielded the f-smash with D3, shield dropped, and then tried to u-tilt Lucario and he was able to power shield it
well, i'm able to punish it.

anyone who actually plays a character that shields a lot will tell you that the first up-tilt seemed delayed

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
well, i'm able to punish it.

anyone who actually plays a character that shields a lot will tell you that the first up-tilt seemed delayed
I mean, since D3's up-tilts hits on the back top first it might not of been hitting lucario on the correct frame of the u-tilt meaning if I was closer maybe it would hit.

On the other hand, are you sure you aren't PSCing the u-tilt?

Also, I'm messing around with some Option selects that may be possible

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
What are the frames lost during this rather then doing the perfect shield drop? [ie how many frames slower am I when I **** this up]

Whats the frame requirement for hitting MK out of nado?

if its f4 or higher I'd gather that lucario can crawl with *** pointing as metaknight

PSC

utilt

<3

if its f5 or higher we don't even need to do that since we can buffer the turnaround utilt

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
What are the frames lost during this rather then doing the perfect shield drop? [ie how many frames slower am I when I **** this up]

Whats the frame requirement for hitting MK out of nado?

if its f4 or higher I'd gather that lucario can crawl with *** pointing as metaknight

PSC

utilt

<3

if its f5 or higher we don't even need to do that since we can buffer the turnaround utilt
it depends on the part of the tornado. I still need to do more research

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I mean, since D3's up-tilts hits on the back top first it might not of been hitting lucario on the correct frame of the u-tilt meaning if I was closer maybe it would hit.

On the other hand, are you sure you aren't PSCing the u-tilt?
I'm shield dropping, trust me. that's how I learned to take stocks.

PS> shield drop> up tilt

no jumping involved

I also messed around with distance. I could I could get it every time

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Neat but GIMR I'm not changing my controls just for this so if my shield is gonna be L n R how do I do this?

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I'm shield dropping, trust me. that's how I learned to take stocks.

PS> shield drop> up tilt

no jumping involved

I also messed around with distance. I could I could get it every time
you're facing lucario like in the vid correct?

Neat but GIMR I'm not changing my controls just for this so if my shield is gonna be L n R how do I do this?
remove springs

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'm almost completely sure level 9 CPU's have been doing this all the time, lol

Tenki

Smash Hero
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO everyone but yoshi gets a upgrade in the Mk MU
But yoshi counters MK with his chaingrab shenanigans
:troll:

I'm almost completely sure level 9 CPU's have been doing this all the time, lol
CPUs: teaching us techniques since 2008.

Er, this isn't new or an AT it's just basic game mec...

... is something I'll personally try and wrap my mind around when I recover from a nap/dream where I was duke nukem in a school full of anime girls. What the ****.

:093:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

Perfect/Power shielding was always meant to have no shield drop lag. That, reduced shield push, and no shield health loss were the only things that made it different from normal shielding.

What was shown in the vid had nothing to do with what was shown in innocentroads' vid. A lot of those things you did against tornado could've been done without power shielding at all. You even did some of those things without power shielding in the vid. UpB OoS and grabbing OoS didn't need the power shield for those moves to land. I actually posted about this a few months ago.

What's in innocentroad's vid is actually something new that no one really uses, but it wasn't really explained well. What he's showing is that you can buffer attacks out of a power shield using a certain buffer input method. Normally you couldn't buffer out of a power shield, but with his method you can! To do this you just power shield and keep shield held. During the hitlag you input whatever attack you want and then you release shield during the shield stun frames. If you did it right you will use that attack on the first possible frame. This even works with Fsmash and Dsmash which would normally give you a roll or spotdodge.

Your vid is still good though. It shows that tornado is actually more punishable than we think. People should start doing PS to jab/tilt more. :)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
K prime with the save

:highfive:

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
What's in innocentroad's vid is actually something new that no one really uses, but it wasn't really explained well. What he's showing is that you can buffer attacks out of a power shield using a certain buffer input method. Normally you couldn't buffer out of a power shield, but with his method you can! To do this you just power shield and keep shield held. During the hitlag you input whatever attack you want and then you release shield during the shield stun frames. If you did it right you will use that attack on the first possible frame. This even works with Fsmash and Dsmash which would normally give you a roll or spotdodge.
Yeah I didn't catch that from his vid. That's pretty awesome; thanks for the explanation.

Top Bottom