• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
okay, so check the previous pages. i was simply responding to his comment about: oh, im a umd graduate. im way smarter than u and that makes my points automatically more valid

i think my points are quite valid
I mean, if he did study law, then maybe he does know what he's talking about and your just reading into it too much and are for some reason attacking him instead of his argument. you're also making assumptions based on nothing solid

Smash Master
If Plank didn't imply prizes, there'd be even fewer entrants and he'd be even deeper in debt with the hotel which he booked months in advance. So once he ****ed up by overbooking, he can either state that there's no prize and end up about 10k in the hole, or he can hand out a prize and end up about 10k in the hole.

For him to use the entry fee to pay the hotel is either stealing or fraud.

I have no direct interest in how this matter is resolved. I wasn't there. I'm just voicing my 0.02 because this is an argument I hadn't seen made yet.

DJRome

Smash Hero
okay, so explain the difference.

you say my example of the restaurant is different than what happened with the tournament

in both cases, a clear precedent of expectations for payments has been established. no explicit contract was made. and thus the lack of a product is in fact theft of the original sum.

okay, forget the restaurant.

let's reduce smash to a baser activity such as gambling. say it is all luck. if i buy one at the gas station, win the prize they state, and then as i redeem, they say the gas station needs more $ to keep running and give no prize, how is that any different than what has transpired

edit: lol gimr, i didn't even quote or mention him. he quoted me and then attacked me

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
okay, so check the previous pages. i was simply responding to his comment about: oh, im a umd graduate. im way smarter than u and that makes my points automatically more valid

my point is this.
huge post making a ton of valid points, some of which I agree with and some I don't
your refutation was as follows
lol alright voodoo. im already in a position to refute that but sure. continue ur dreams sir
it doesn't work regardless of how hard you try to distract the topic from the debate. you still have to refute the points he made or you lose if you haven't convinced everyone already.

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet

This guy right here has made me laugh in just about every post i have read from him.

Oh so angry, telling everyone they need to die and what not. Then pulling some random analogy out of nowhere. I quite enjoy it, please keep doing so.

I'm just enjoying the reading now, I've voiced my opinions on the matter.

Everybody should just throw money at the winners of the tourney. If everyone does we all loose out like what, 25 bucks?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
im surprised no one has said this

HATERS...GONNA HATE.

simple as that :s

ppl will *****. ppl will defend.

now who wants to round up the campfire and sing kum bah ya

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol okay, i didn't quote it, but i was referring to his intellectual superiority in my reference of "refute"

Renth

Smash Hero
If this is the kind of mindless discussion that is going to go on in this thread can a Mod please close it.

Pi

Smash Hero
This guy right here has made me laugh in just about every post i have read from him.

Oh so angry, telling everyone they need to die and what not. Then pulling some random analogy out of nowhere. I quite enjoy it, please keep doing so.

I'm just enjoying the reading now, I've voiced my opinions on the matter.

Everybody should just throw money at the winners of the tourney. If everyone does we all loose out like what, 25 bucks?
basically this ^

i gave 20$ to the armada fund

S0FT

Smash Ace
I had a long post prepared of why this is such a big issue. And I have seen a lot of BS arguments from the Plank camp.

But Im just going to say:

This is going to keep happening to the smash community if you do not force TD's to clearly establish (and I guess sign a contract) where the money will be going.

idea

Smash Master
i feel for you, plank =/ like people have said, i'm sure it was an enormous amount of work and it sucks that this is the only thing getting attention. also i've just been in situations where i know i've ****ed up before and it would have been a million times worse if people hadn't forgiven me =/

to be honest, though, if i were the TO, i would have switched venues as soon as they asked me to sign a contract for people who reserved rooms. that super-expensive hotel was the root cause of these problems. it was a high-risk, high-reward situation and in the end, for a bunch of different reasons, the risk wasn't worth it.

but i hope it all works out in the end =(

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Plank is under only as much obligation to keep his word about paying the winners as the no shows are for keeping their word about showing up.
yup, money sure doesnt grow on trees in ma n pas backyard like it use to

*pulls up a chair and pours some tea* on with the salt storm

Smash Master
Do people genuinely not get that there would be significantly fewer entrants if people weren't fooled into thinking there would be a prize?

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
people expect when they lose, they get nothing.

just like when people win, they expect winnings. in fact, even losers expect winners to get winnings.

so again, i will rehash since u plank supporters don't get it. why should everyone carry the risk for plank?

in fact, im going to ask everyone here to invest in some stocks. i will not invest anything. if we gain, we'll split the earnings. if they go belly up, no big deal. i didn't invest **** anyways

the fact that he provided the opportunity to "make money" for the winners is irrelevant. for obvious reasons
Those are called stock brokers (which is actually what I'm studying to be)... That's how it works. You are not BUYING money, just like you're not buying payouts. You expect them when you invest, but if there is no profit there is no profit to distribute among the investors, just as there are no profits to distribute among the winners. I entered the tournament under the advertisement that I could win some undisclosed amount, and i felt as though that were a safe assumption, but I was only guaranteed verbally of some pay out. There's no documentation proving the entrance fee was for the pot.

just lol laijin

here is what selfish means:
"concerned chiefly or only with yourself and your advantage to the exclusion of others"

what plank did was selfish, not us expecting payouts.

if he pays everyone their prizes, 1 person is in debt. instead, 22 people are in debt.

how is that not selfish on plank's part again?

again, u seem to be confusing urself. u say ur not defending his actions but in fact u are. u say that he has the right to refuse to payout anything in this situation. but you completely ignore the fact that at EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT, the venue fee and the entry fees are separate. in fact, that is why they are distinctly paid and listed

just because everyone else would have done it doesn't mean it's right. so you say if ur in debt u would steal? sorry, but that's in fact not true. don't speak for everyone else

also, eggm, ur a ******. im glad $mike gonna make u feel it. who cares if it is possible to have that "good time" that plank provided?

if i walk into a restaurant, ask for food, pay for food, and they turn around and say, "sorry, resources low. no food. no refund. go away, we're closing" i would say, "hey, this is plank's 5 pound of chicken bucket of horse**** restaurant right here"

we all understand risk. if u chose to take it, that is ur decision. but don't steal from others if it doesn't work out

all you mother****ers who think it's okay since we decided to attend deserve to die. seriously. society doesn't want ******* like you. if i decide to go outside and someone shoots me, is it my fault? if i go to a restaurant and they undercook my food, is it my fault? holy **** u smashers are ********. i really want to punch u through this screen right now
you didn't buy a sandwich. You entered a tournament, there was a tournament. There was the advertisement of a payout, but none of us ever guaranteed or agreed on the terms. The only precedent is the common law of the community, it was brought up before that in games of skill the precedent is that the community sorts this out. I was unaware of this, but it's not as though plank received a salary, if plank can mathematically prove he lost money it's not fraud. In fraud the perp has to benefit from the action and planks financial interests were to not hold this tournament.

no, we were told it could be paid with the 20 dollar venue fee. that is all plank asked for the venue fee.

what happens when u pay 100 for something and then they say it costs more so they hold ur money until u pay the difference?

walk into a restaurant. pay $5 for ur meal. they come out and say it costs more so u get nothing. but no contract was made! well, clearly no case. omg ****ing lol u ******s

also, the money was RIGHT THERE for plank to give to the winners. the fact that he immediately took it and paid the hotel is irrelevant. if i steal $ from ur wallet and then immediately spent it, is that not a crime?

no one cares too much that plank paid off the hotel with the money first. it's that he will never pay the winners back what they earned
Can you show me documentation that you were guaranteed that the entrance fee was for the winnings? Or was that, again, common law of the community? Has plank not, in the past hosted similar events? Has he not always paid out the profits.

Were you not in the hyatt. did the hyatt and plank not give you the opportunity to compete for a winning?

Can you define this winning?

Were you guaranteed that the entrance fee was for the winnings and not for the chance to compete. How was this money given to plank? Do you have a receipt?

Oh you have a pay pal?

So all you can logistically prove is that you gave plank a certain amount, and that this amount was articled as "venue and entrance fees."

It gets grey, but I would like to be the defendant.

lol ur just proving my point. if i open a fund saying im helping armada, then people donate 1000 dollars. then i buy him a lollipop. yes, technically i fulfilled the service since there was no express contract, etc to say i had to buy him a plane ticket or whatever, but it would hardly be okay to simply say, well, i will simply buy him a lollipop and that will be his "help"

much like the "cookie" or "experience of the tournament" is insufficient as a prize to the winners
Can you not define a lollipop as help.
I'm starting a fund helping armada.

in what form? Is this a financial help.

I'm starting a fund helping armada. 100% of proceeds go to armada.

That's different. Now I have defined terms under which i am donating money.

Such terms were never definitively laid out.

apparently a farewell suffices
okay, so explain the difference.

you say my example of the restaurant is different than what happened with the tournament

in both cases, a clear precedent of expectations for payments has been established. no explicit contract was made. and thus the lack of a product is in fact theft of the original sum.

okay, forget the restaurant.

let's reduce smash to a baser activity such as gambling. say it is all luck. if i buy one at the gas station, win the prize they state, and then as i redeem, they say the gas station needs more $ to keep running and give no prize, how is that any different than what has transpired

edit: lol gimr, i didn't even quote or mention him. he quoted me and then attacked me
This is your best argument by far, and I want to stop fighting because I believe we're both good people. I made a joke at your expense and for that I apologize.

But the legal definition can include "payment without the guarantee of profit." Usually Gaming and competition are under the same boards and are treated sensitively.

But the fact that within our community there's a certain precedent does not guarantee a profit.

And I hate to say it... but you're still wrong.

You bought into a lottery, there's no overhead in a lottery, your stock representation was much more accurate.

You could say you bought into a lottery and the company that distributed the lottery has no finances to provide its entrants. If you sue, the lottery company will most likely file bankruptcy.

I don't like how plank is handling this. And I understand what he did, and I wouldn't have done it.

Maybe I would have, and forsaken myself.

I would have worked something out, or been more honest with people. Or at least I would have tried to.

and a lot of people on this board are thinking you can take this to court. And of course you can take this to court and go through the motions for a small amount. And you can get the right judge and even win if you're lucky.

I've always been law savvy, and I'm a good person. I just don't think you understand how big things can get in the real world. You have every right to be angry, but this is the law.

It's not like I have a JD, and I decided against law school and instead am going into finance (where you steal peoples money all the time, and then the government would bail plank out in this comparison) but as I seem to be the most legally savvy person in this debate, I have to say it's a bad idea. Check with an attorney, they could provide a counter argument I'll write one up.

But gut instinct is if this goes to court I don't think plank will get stuck with it.

DJrome you're a hot head and I don't think you're being very practical.

It's not a matter of opinion.

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
I had a long post prepared of why this is such a big issue. And I have seen a lot of BS arguments from the Plank camp.

But Im just going to say:

This is going to keep happening to the smash community if you do not force TD's to clearly establish (and I guess sign a contract) where the money will be going.
We don't need contracts, we need receipts.

i can't sue you because my paypal says I gave you 80 bucks.

For what?

Oh a losely receipted amound of items.

Was there not a venue? Did I not enter?

Do I have terms for winnings?

I'm pissed about this, but I can safely say I'm the only reasonable person here.

I'm hilarious too.

and I just got laid.

It was alright.

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol true that i have no reasonable solution, but then again, i am pretty pissed at all of you for finding reasons why suing plank is bad instead of thinking of ways to get money from him

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
lol true that i have no reasonable solution, but then again, i am pretty pissed at all of you for finding reasons why suing plank is bad instead of thinking of ways to get money from him
Stop being a child and grow up. You're talking about real people in the real world passing judgment on a bunch of kids because the space bird with a laser beat up on a princess.

What do you think they're going to say?

I mean you can try and harass plank. Ban him from tournaments and such and such. We can try and subpoena his financial records and see if he profited (which would destroy my whole argument by the way, I'm assuming this tournament lost money, if he profited you can easily say that he committed fraud).

There is no solution. The best you can do is let go of your anger.

Octave

Smash Ace
Anyone criticizing Plank's current actions should take a step back and ask what they would have done. I doubt you would take 30K in debt and legal charges vs alienation of a video game community, but choice would fall in your hands.
At this point it really shouldn't, but it boggles my mind how low people can go. I don't know what it is, if it's upbringing, then maybe my parents weren't completely wrong, but for people to have absolutely no empathy for the situation is baffling.

Seriously, if you had been in Plank's situation, what would you have done? Not what would you have NOT done. Someone posted something along the lines of "I would not have taken the risk," but that's not what this is even asking. Being in Plank's situation, that is 'being legally bound to pay a debt up front,' what would you have done.

I know this has all been said before but after reading the thread up to now I wanted to voice my opinion. The only post I can remember having any weight that was anti-Plank was Chibo's (it's on page 5), which went largely unnoticed (probably because of the length and I'll admit I had to look at it a few times to understand it completely).

Although I agree with Plank's decision given the circumstances, according to Chibo's math there is $5,000+ missing.

@Chibo - You averaged the venue fee at $27.50, when to my understanding the venue fee was $20 (though I didn't follow the venue fees through the months that registration was available, nor did I even attend the event). Even adjusting it from $27.50 to a flat $20, there is somewhere around $2,000 still missing, so it doesn't really matter tbh.

I'm pissed about this, but I can safely say I'm the only reasonable person here.

I'm hilarious too.

and I just got laid.

It was alright.
****ing lol. possible new sig

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't think some people understand the difference between morally obligated and legally obligated.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
It's no surprise to me that the people who yell "stealing!" over and over tend to be those who have little to no experience running tournaments. First of all, if anything, Plank would be guilty of breach of contract, and not theft. Now it's not like Plank had 2 boxes labelled "venue payment" and "prizes" and took earmarked money from the prize box to pay off the venue. I was one of the co-head TOs for Genesis, and I can tell you that what happens is, you simply have one lump sum of money, and you have two debts. Your first obligation is to the venue. If you understand this, then you understand that it makes absolutely no sense to say there was any kind of "theft." People saying that Plank "stole" or "scammed/fooled" people apparently just make up their own story of how tournaments are run in their minds. You guys need to stop repeating your uninformed arguments over and over again, and consider the points that other people are making.

Now, what you CAN say happened is that Plank failed to fulfill a promise to pay prizes. I don't know if there is a LEGAL basis for that, but there is a moral basis. Did Plank **** up? Yes, but you have to look at it for what it is - he didn't get the attendance or rooms reserved that he expected, and that caused him to be unable to pay prizes from the entry fee money, and nothing more. Certainly something should be done about that, but again, the situation has to be looked at for what it is.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
It's no surprise to me that the people who yell "stealing!" over and over tend to be those who have little to no experience running tournaments. First of all, if anything, Plank would be guilty of breach of contract, and not theft. Now it's not like Plank had 2 boxes labelled "venue payment" and "prizes" and took earmarked money from the prize box to pay off the venue. I was one of the co-head TOs for Genesis, and I can tell you that what happens is, you simply have one lump sum of money, and you have two debts. Your first obligation is to the venue. If you understand this, then you understand that it makes absolutely no sense to say there was any kind of "theft." People saying that Plank "stole" or "scammed/fooled" people apparently just make up their own story of how tournaments are run in their minds. You guys need to stop repeating your uninformed arguments over and over again, and consider the points that other people are making.

Now, what you CAN say happened is that Plank failed to fulfill a promise to pay prizes. I don't know if there is a LEGAL basis for that, but there is a moral basis. Did Plank **** up? Yes, but you have to look at it for what it is - he didn't get the attendance or rooms reserved that he expected, and that caused him to be unable to pay prizes from the entry fee money, and nothing more. Certainly something should be done about that, but again, the situation has to be looked at for what it is.
Sheridan the smartest.

DJRome

Smash Hero
Stop being a child and grow up. You're talking about real people in the real world passing judgment on a bunch of kids because the space bird with a laser beat up on a princess.

What do you think they're going to say?

I mean you can try and harass plank. Ban him from tournaments and such and such. We can try and subpoena his financial records and see if he profited (which would destroy my whole argument by the way, I'm assuming this tournament lost money, if he profited you can easily say that he committed fraud).

There is no solution. The best you can do is let go of your anger.
lol how do you figure? the fact that you word it that way shows ur bias. people making money from video games is a real world phenomenon that is widely accepted as normal.

you present a case of prizes for a video game tournament not being delivered as promised and at a sum of over 9000 dollars, i think any reasonable institution is willing to hear it. i don't know why ur being so against action.

as long as you continually ridicule people for their attempts to help friends get their deserved money, i will continue to feel enraged at people trying to deter such action

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman

If I were to argue against plank legally:

Within the precedent of the community I am participating in for 8 years when a venue fee and entrance fee are listed I am understanding that the entrance fee is a revenue share that I am entitled to if I win. These prizes should be scaled based on placement, with the highest placement getting the greatest reward, the 2nd getting the 2nd highest reward and so on. The entrance fee is important because the larger the fee the larger the cash incentive, and the greater the incentive for participants to attend.

Because the venue was so expensive Jonathan Graybeal misrepresented the actual cost of the venue and the entrance fee. My entire buy in was to be paid to the venue, and this was not as advertised.

But if the judge refutes the common law of Smash World Forums as a governing body the case will be dismissed.

It's possible, but you're grasping at straws. Another legal mind may feel differently, and i've never seen a case in this field, but there's no documentation. It becomes his word vs. the plaintiff. You me be better off if everyone filed a class action law suit but what are you claiming? That a bunch of teenagers playing a video game under the terms we were provided and pay pal emails and electronic receipts are entitled to money gathered at a hotel with a contract?

It's also hard to claim what money you're entitled to, since plank ended up in the red. You'd have to claim his personal assets or future finances. And those are hard to get at.

EDIT: People making money at games of skill is totally normal. However, that doesn't establish a legal ground.

I'm not saying you can't file an action, that's your right as a citizen. You can FILE anything. but as a person with legal experience, who's appeared in Mock Trials in front of actual judges and been trained by actual attorneys to try actual laws in the state of maryland, and as someone who is currently studying the legal morality governing control of trusted finances and investment, i don't like the chances of winning.

I'm just saying if I were listening to this I wouldn't try the case. And it'd be hard to provide documentation clearly defining what "entrance fee" is. I can say "that's for the pot" I could also say that is to compete. The reality is the pot was never determined, the competition happened.

As a community we act largely in good faith, but we have no defined terms for what we're doing.

anyway, this chick. She was kinda hefty but she had huge **** and I'm being serious here...

she gave such good head my brown **** has a hicky!

I've never even had a hicky on my neck!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
entrance fee is exactly what it sounds like. you pay to play. there is no guarantee to prize money. 60% of $0 is still $0.

VENUE FEE is different. that is you pay to watch, or to just enter the venue. think of it as a spectator fee.

those would most likely be LEGAL definitions

rhan

Smash Hero
What sucks more about videogames tournaments and the different communities... Smash is all funded and done within players of the community. Starcraft has GSL and other big names. Plus it's like American Football in Korea. Street Fighter has events like EVO. Halo has MLG.

etc.

They're all funded and done within a higher power. While with this community, the TO isn't as obligated to payouts as those tourneys are. These are just done with the time and hard work of people who don't have to do this.

Also for the Brawlers (And MLG day Melee players), was there any point you had to put down your government name and a signature down on a piece of paper?

Pi

Smash Hero
^they also have sponsors/are sponsors
this was done by plank & co for the community

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

no wonder my request for a loan got turned down on the basis that my primary source of income is from winning underground video game tournaments

Super

Smash Apprentice
I say, Plank repays the the winners/community somehow, even if it's not in a monetary way. He should work his *** off to host more tournaments for the people, and so the winners can get more opporunity to get money for wins.

Oh wait.

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
What sucks more about videogames tournaments and the different communities... Smash is all funded and done within players of the community. Starcraft has GSL and other big names. Plus it's like American Football in Korea. Street Fighter has events like EVO. Halo has MLG.

etc.

They're all funded and done within a higher power. While with this community, the TO isn't as obligated to payouts as those tourneys are. These are just done with the time and hard work of people who don't have to do this.

Also for the Brawlers (And MLG day Melee players), was there any point you had to put down your government name and a signature down on a piece of paper?
I dream of a day, where I'll be doing commentary on Espn.

OH MY GOD ******* ****!

that's my commentary.

we'll have a sports center on mango.

Skip will be like "armada is over rated and chokes" and we'll be like... nuh uh!

It'll happen.

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
^is there any other kind really
Sugar Daddy.

i wonder if when mango does it, they go
MANGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And he goes.

"Ahhh....

****"

you can be morally obligated in a civil court. A civil court is only the preponderance of evidence at a fault. But since Dr.peepee not getting paid and dr.peepee not placing well enough to win money are not discernible, you can't claim it as a fault.

but there has to be some way plank can reimburse armada for a considerable amount. He got screwed.

And there is only loveless sex...

and ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom