• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* 4:: VGBootCamp Debut! Two days. Plank's sanity remaining: 50%

What type of stage set should Pound4 run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Well I've never heard of him so i think it's fair to call him a random. Also when you count people on youtube and on these boards I'm pretty sure I'm more well known overall than someone like Darkheart is. He is more random than me. And I'm a famous smasher in my region.

I may play friendlies with nobodies but I won't be money matching them. Sorry.
If I'm a nobody shouldn't this be easy money for you? Why play friendlies with nobodies, who won't give you good practice, but not MM them, when you'll get money for playing them? You'll only play pros who will take your money?

what about a $20 MM, is that enough cash to get you interested?

how about I record it and up it on youtube, you'll get your prowess recorded and people will see how talented you truly are!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yeah AJP, i feel a bit differently with 345 people though, thats a lot more than i expected. eliminating half is generally a good rule, but eliminating 153 is still good for first round. haha

HEAR THAT, 153 OF YOU WONT MAKE IT OUT OF R1 POOLS

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
i think the best would be

round 1, 64 pools of 5-6, top 3 => 192 players left
round 2, 32 pools of 6, top 3 => 96 players left
round 3, 16 pools of 6, top 3 => 48 players left, 1-seeds get byes in bracket

i'd be very wary of taking fewer than 3 per pool with this volume of people since it's going to be so incredibly hard to ensure pools are balanced
great minds think alike. I pitched this exact distribution to Plank about 2 hours ago on AIM :p.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer

i'd be very wary of taking fewer than 3 per pool with this volume of people since it's going to be so incredibly hard to ensure pools are balanced
probably going to do what pocky said, but unsure yet.

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
probably going to do what pocky said, but unsure yet.
Nah, don't give 12 players byes. Try to get the number of people advancing in the bracket closer to 32.

I just looked you up on Youtube...I didn't see you. Unless you have a different gamer tag. I'm curious after all this talk.
You won't find much videos of Caribbean players on youtube. TOs don't do that over here, they compile the videos and sell them as DVDs. We have a market for it.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Nah, don't give 12 players byes. Try to get the number of people advancing in the bracket closer to 32.
It's 16, not 12.
And there really is no way to get a 32-man bracket if you want to avoid
1) weird seeding between rounds
2) 8-man pools (big)
3) 4-man pools with 2 adv (2 too few?)

sauc3

Smash Lord
Anyone down for a Fantasy Doubles Tournament at the hotel?
Nominate some of the best players to team, or make crazy combinations.

Some people I would like to see team (even though it would probably never happen)

Mango and M2K
HBox and Darc
Hax and Isai
Shiz and DrPeePee
SilentWolf and Eggm
DJNintendo and HMW

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
Wow, ChRed is NOT in the SLIGHTEST a nobody. VBM you're a nobody. Who cares if you're known on SMF, nobody knows who you are irl.
I'm pretty knowledgeable about the Smash community so if I've never heard of him then he is almost certainly a nobody. Why are you defending these randoms? And what does it matter if people know me irl or not? They know I exist therefore I cannot be a nobody, moreover they shouldn't know who I am being as I am not from this country.

If I'm a nobody shouldn't this be easy money for you? Why play friendlies with nobodies, who won't give you good practice, but not MM them, when you'll get money for playing them? You'll only play pros who will take your money?

what about a $20 MM, is that enough cash to get you interested?

how about I record it and up it on youtube, you'll get your prowess recorded and people will see how talented you truly are!
Of all the pros I've challenged I'm pretty certain I will beat them so they won't be taking my money. I'll play friendlies with nobodies but not money matches simply because it's not strenuous, I can play without worrying about the outcome. I won't money match nobodies because I don't actually care about the money, what I want is the glory of beating known players.

So being realistic I don't think I'll money match you regardless of what the price is. Sorry.

Prawn

Smash Master
So I heard VBM sucks at this game

discuss.

edit: and by "this game" i mean, melee, brawl, brawl+, SSB64, Super Smash Brothers 4 and Final Fantasy Eleven.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

32 or 64 person bracket >>>>>>>>>> 48 person brackets imo

i just really dont like how they work out. the fact that if someone gets a win in the winners bracket and then loses twice in a row means they get last place and ties someone who didnt win any matches at all is incredibly lame. stuff like that doesnt happen in full brackets with no byes.

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
It's 16 players, not 12, and they're the ones who got the 1 seeds from the last round of Pools, a bye in bracket is a fitting reward for doing well in pools.

Why am I starting an argument with VBM..?
That makes sense I guess, and if we have to give byes I guess that is the most objective way to do it. Until I think of a better solution I guess I won't complain.

Some people I would like to see team (even though it would probably never happen)

Mango and M2K
HBox and Darc
Hax and Isai
Shiz and DrPeePee
SilentWolf and Eggm
DJNintendo and HMW
I don't think I'd be interested in another doubles tournament. A free for all tournament I think would be pretty cool. I know it'll create a problems if players team up and target specific players but I still think it'd be a whole lot of fun.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Well I've never heard of him so i think it's fair to call him a random. Also when you count people on youtube and on these boards I'm pretty sure I'm more well known overall than someone like Darkheart is. He is more random than me. And I'm a famous smasher in my region.
Was that in reference to the comments you make on youtube, then? O_o Honest question.

Mango and M2K
HBox and Darc
Hax and Isai
Shiz and DrPeePee
SilentWolf and Eggm
DJNintendo and HMW
That actually sounds mad fun. I still wanna see Team 1st Place. The best team EVA!!!

Cactuar + M2K

Plairnkk

Smash Legend

i just really dont like how they work out. the fact that if someone gets a win in the winners bracket and then loses twice in a row means they get last place and ties someone who didnt win any matches at all is incredibly lame. stuff like that doesnt happen in full brackets with no byes.
that is true too. all things will be discussed tonight when we decide.

64 is too many though, cuz i want the ENTIRE bracket to be hyped and insane matches

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
The way I was thinking for brawl pools is pretty much melee after round 1 pools, so melee will have 3 rounds of pools while brawl has 2

32 pools of 6 (6 pools will have 7 people)
top 3 advance

96 players remain
16 pools of 6
top 2 advance

pools of 6 makes things more efficient than pools of 8 (which takes forever)

After first round pools, we can do 2 tvs per pool, which will make things fly. Having less brawl entrants is probably a blessing in this way, 2 rounds of brawl pools will probably take just as long as 3 rounds of melee pools.

If you're not home tonight Jon I'll go ahead and do a preliminary seeding run and run it by you to see what you think. I'll be as little or much detailed as you want me to be about it. I saw a lot of AiB players signed up that will be hard to gauge, so it might take some time to get it perfect.

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings

Great point. Why don't we do what PockyD says except for the last pool we make it 8 pools of 8, with the top 4 advancing? That makes it exactly 32 players advancing I think.

If 8 players are 2 long then make it 16 pools of 4 with the top 2 advancing. It still amounts to 32 players.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
no tant, i dont want ANY pools with 7 people. especially not in brawl.

ill be home tonight but ill be playing melee, so idk how available ill be XD

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
tant's 2 pool system is awesome

good number of ppl per pool (6 or 7)

and it keeps the # of pools to a power of 2 (32 then 16)

promotes a good number of people (about 50% for first round then 2 people for the final bracket whcih should be hard as hell to get into as plank said all matches should be freggin amazing)

and it ends with a nice even bracket of 32 people full of absolutely awesome **** matchups

i dont see any reason not to do it that way

edit: do everything that is possible for having 64 brawl setups on saturday. its easily possible, planks got the tvs, we just gotta bring the systems. that way r1 of brawl pools can do 2 tvs per pool.
if there isnt at least 64 tvs then assign 1 tv per pool and give an extra tv (since there will obv be more than 32.... i hope *cringe* lol) to all 7 person pools, and then any extras to other 6 person pools.

as long as there is a quality pool captain for each tv it should be fine

and even better if when everyones name is called they are handcuffed to the table their tv is at. no bathroom johns either

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
the scenario of person A wins once and then loses twice and ties person B who lost twice only occurs if person A was a 2 or 3 seed and person B was a 1 seed. Just makes pools a bigger deal, which is in no way a bad thing.
WTF? It ******* the bracket, how is that not a big deal? We should aim to make the brackets have no byes, it's by far the most fair way to structure the bracket.

Edit: Mogwai edited his post. Nevermind.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Great point. Why don't we do what PockyD says except for the last pool we make it 8 pools of 8, with the top 4 advancing? That makes it exactly 32 players advancing I think.

If 8 players are 2 long then make it 16 pools of 4 with the top 2 advancing. It still amounts to 32 players.
after 2nd round there are 96 people left, not 64, thats the issue

pockyD

Smash Legend

why is that lame? they "proved" themselves over the course of 14-15 matches (in the first 3 rounds of pools) already; they aren't being gifted anything

you are so bad at math it hurts

and contrary to popular belief, larger pools take more time

a 6 man pool should take under 2 hours on 2 TVs; an 8man pool will take 3-4 on 2 TVs... plus everyone in the 8man pool will play more sporadically and will be less on their game and likely to play less than their best

having exactly 32 people advance doesn't do any good if it's not the BEST 32 players... pools of 4 make the outcome ridiculously dependent on the ingoing seeding

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
why is that lame? they "proved" themselves over the course of 14-15 matches (in the first 3 rounds of pools) already; they aren't being gifted anything

you are so bad at math it hurts
I just checked it out with my calculator and I'm right 4 x 8 is 32 and 2 x 16 is also 32. You're the one whose bad at math.

Samochan

Smash Master
It's doubtful those with 1st (and second?) seeds that get byes on 48 man bracket would just get eliminated straight without winning a single match or that they wouldn't deserve that bye. >.> 32 bracket out of 345 is just so... little. Like 10%. 48 seems like a good middle to me imo. And as ajp again pointed out, would avoid wonky pools and other problems.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
what im saying is that in the case of a 48 person bracket.

Why should player A, who wins a match in winners bracket and then loses the next two matches

be tied in placement to

player B, who didnt win any sets and all and straight up lost

its because with a 48 person bracket EVERY SINGLE person who loses their first match gets a bye right away, putting them at the same round of ppl going to losers that won their first match.

so why should these people that are 0-2 in sets in the brackets that didnt win a single set be gifted of having the same placement as people that went 1-2 in bracket.

edit: also didnt pound 3 eliminate down to a 32 person bracket?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Why is 7 people an issue? Time?

198 is an extremely inconvenient number, the next number you're looking at is 4s and 5s, neither of which is ideal

Your other options are 4 (2 with 5, 49 pools, 98 remain), 5, (3 with 6, top 2 advance, 39 pools, 78 remain)

Those are pretty clunky numbers

I think we can arrange 6 pools that have 7 to be efficient (or for those 6 pools to have 2 tvs, something along those lines) plus you gotta think that there will probably be some no shows, that breathing room

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
No, it just proved people from St Thomas are idiots(something I already knew); I'm not too sure I want to play friendlies against a nobody; it'll depend on how I feel the day of the tournament.
1st, spell my name right, nub. (Dark HART)

As for youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GkW__7kSwk

get ***** :laugh:

to be honest, vbm, you are nobody in our eyes, even if you aren't where you come from. I may not be a top player in my state, but people from all over the South know me and who I am. I'm not a nobody. You may be known on the boards, but as nothing more than a troll, and a liar. Why not mm me? You'll probably win, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom