• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* 4:: VGBootCamp Debut! Two days. Plank's sanity remaining: 50%

What type of stage set should Pound4 run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I'm pretty knowledgeable about the Smash community so if I've never heard of him then he is almost certainly a nobody. Why are you defending these randoms? And what does it matter if people know me irl or not? They know I exist therefore I cannot be a nobody, moreover they shouldn't know who I am being as I am not from this country.

Of all the pros I've challenged I'm pretty certain I will beat them so they won't be taking my money. I'll play friendlies with nobodies but not money matches simply because it's not strenuous, I can play without worrying about the outcome. I won't money match nobodies because I don't actually care about the money, what I want is the glory of beating known players.

So being realistic I don't think I'll money match you regardless of what the price is. Sorry.
I remember when I thought like you did. Like 5 years ago.

You're pretty knowledgable about the smash scene? Okay. All I know is that most of east coast knows me because they've met me and played me, and everyone knows you because you troll the boards :D

I'm honestly curious if VBM is a real person, plank thinks he isn't and those who've said they've played him are lying, can a mod run an IP check on him? If he is a fake person, I'm not asking to reveal who he is, I'm just curious if he's real or fake. PM me or post it, I'm just intensely curious.

stelzig

Smash Lord
32 or 64 person bracket >>>>>>>>>> 48 person brackets imo

i just really dont like how they work out. the fact that if someone gets a win in the winners bracket and then loses twice in a row means they get last place and ties someone who didnt win any matches at all is incredibly lame. stuff like that doesnt happen in full brackets with no byes.
How often do people with 1st seeds not win any bracket matches though? I agree with whoever said that this is a fitting reward for getting first in your pool.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
It's doubtful those with 1st (and second?) seeds that get byes on 48 man bracket would just get eliminated straight without winning a single match or that they wouldn't deserve that bye. >.> 32 bracket out of 345 is just so... little. Like 10%. 48 seems like a good middle to me imo. And as ajp again pointed out, would avoid wonky pools and other problems.
their issue is that the first round of losers is everyone getting a bye, so if you're a 2 seed and you win your first match and then lose your next two, you place the same as someone who was a 3 seed and lost their first two matches (since they "win" vs. bye in the first round of losers).

this isn't a large issue though, as it basically just boils down to people being upset that there's a 16 man tie for 33rd rather than breaking that spot up, in other words, who cares? You'll still be able to brag about making it to bracket at the most stacked tourney ever.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
How often do people with 1st seeds not win any bracket matches though? I agree with whoever said that this is a fitting reward for getting first in your pool.
The point he's making has nothing to do with 1st seeds getting 0-2'd. He saying he finds it unfair that people that 0-2'd and 1-2'd will end up placing the same, and I agree.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Why is 7 people an issue? Time?

198 is an extremely inconvenient number, the next number you're looking at is 5s and 6s, neither of which is ideal

Your other options are 4 (2 with 5, 49 pools, 98 remain), 5, (3 with 6, top 2 advance, 39 pools, 78 remain)

Those are pretty clunky numbers

I think we can arrange 6 pools that have 7 to be efficient (or for those 6 pools to have 2 tvs, something along those lines) plus you gotta think that there will probably be some no shows, that breathing room
actually, I have no idea how to do brawl cause it runs so slowly...

Samochan

Smash Master
Though as someone pointed out, those players that lose their first match would get a bye on losers round. However after that, if I recall correcly, there's gonna be some more high tiered player in there waiting to slaughter this player. <_<

In the end imo, the results matter less than whom you actually beat. =) So if this person got better placing cause he beat none, so what? He can't say to have beaten anyone to get to that placement lol. It's kinda like getting first on a noob tournament versus getting 25th on genesis.

pockyD

Smash Legend
what im saying is that in the case of a 48 person bracket.

Why should player A, who wins a match in winners bracket and then loses the next two matches

be tied in placement to

player B, who didnt win any sets and all and straight up lost

its because with a 48 person bracket EVERY SINGLE person who loses their first match gets a bye right away, putting them at the same round of ppl going to losers that won their first match.

so why should these people that are 0-2 in sets in the brackets that didnt win a single set be gifted of having the same placement as people that went 1-2 in bracket.

edit: also didnt pound 3 eliminate down to a 32 person bracket?
your scenario involves a 2seed losing to a 3seed

you can't account for everything, just like you can't account for mango losing link dittos

what would be even MORE unfair than the two players placing the same in the bracket would be one of them not even making it into the bracket to begin with to be able to prove themselves simply because tio randomly handed them the harder pool

198 is an excellent number btw... any time you can have a power of two (in this case, 32) number of 6-7 man pools, life becomes so much easier

don't people remember the janky 126 man bracket from genesis :laugh:

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
And like I said, even if brawl is slow, we can assign that pool 2 tvs to improve speed, or I can set the pools up in such a way that the pools with 7 will move quicker than the pools with 6, I think I can make that happen

pockyD

Smash Legend
I can set the pools up in such a way that the pools with 7 will move quicker than the pools with 6, I think I can make that happen
nope, that's some vbm-type thinking right there

how are you going to make those extra 6 matches that need to be played magically happen while consuming negative time

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
whooooooooosh
Whatever my math > yours.

1st, spell my name right, nub. (Dark HART)

As for youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GkW__7kSwk

get ***** :laugh:

to be honest, vbm, you are nobody in our eyes, even if you aren't where you come from. I may not be a top player in my state, but people from all over the South know me and who I am. I'm not a nobody. You may be known on the boards, but as nothing more than a troll, and a liar. Why not mm me? You'll probably win, right?
Ooooooooooooh, you have a video on youtube so you're not a random? WTF? I could find you a hundred randoms on youtube, it means nothing. I don't know you and I doubt anyone in the south knows you either(apart from those on the boards) sadly you're a lot less famous than you think you are. And you may think I'm nothing more than a troll and liar but you don't speak for everyone, don't say things like that in the future.

And again I don't money match nobodies, so no MM wih you.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Chibo is right in a way though. someone placed higher than me, even though I went 1-2 and he got 0-2.

I have an idea. This is JUST an idea...however I believe it should work:

340, right?

1st round with top 3 getting out.
68 pools of 5 = 204

2nd round with top 3 and top 4 for the pools of 6
40 pools - 36 of 5 and 4 of 6 = 124

3rd round with top 3 getting out and top 4 for the pools of 6
20 pools - 16 of 5 and 4 of 6 = 64

Three rounds of pools...a 64 man bracket, and no byes.

I believe I did my math correctly.

stelzig

Smash Lord
The point he's making has nothing to do with 1st seeds getting 0-2'd. He saying he finds it unfair that people that 0-2'd and 1-2'd will end up placing the same, and I agree.
I see...
pffft. Let the guy moneymatch the people who "unfairly tied him" if it bothers him that much then. That part of the bracket isn't that important for the results anyway

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Chibo is right in a way though. someone placed higher than me, even though I went 1-2 and he got 0-2.

I have an idea. This is JUST an idea...however I believe it should work:

340, right?

1st round with top 3 getting out.
68 pools of 5 = 204

2nd round with top 3 and top 4 for the pools of 6
40 pools - 36 of 5 and 4 of 6 = 124

3rd round with top 3 getting out and top 4 for the pools of 6
20 pools - 16 of 5 and 4 of 6 = 64

Three rounds of pools...a 64 man bracket, and no byes.

I believe I did my math correctly.
In round 2 pools, you don't have 40 pools that are equally seeded based on round 1 pools. Some of the 5 person pools have 1 top seed and others have 2. That is less fair imo.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I know he technically won a match from having a bye, but why not just eliminate to a even 32 person bracket? has no byes, and less matches that will run faster. if it can save time here at pound it will help considering 4 events have to ran, one of which is a singles event with over 300 entrants, and another being another singles event of a slower game with almost 200 ppl. even with 3 days this thing has still gotta run fast.

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
I remember when I thought like you did. Like 5 years ago.

You're pretty knowledgable about the smash scene? Okay. All I know is that most of east coast knows me because they've met me and played me, and everyone knows you because you troll the boards :D

I'm honestly curious if VBM is a real person, plank thinks he isn't and those who've said they've played him are lying, can a mod run an IP check on him? If he is a fake person, I'm not asking to reveal who he is, I'm just curious if he's real or fake. PM me or post it, I'm just intensely curious.
Well I guess should clarify. When is ay nobody I mean that as in you don't have a notable reputation. If people know you but you're not worthy of being talked about then it's irrelevant in my opinion.

I am a real person. And you'll meet me a t Pound 4. Why would people think I'm someone's Atl? I'm not. I think you're just being bitter because I won't money match you. It's nothing personal dude.

maybe MAYBE even if we set aside the whole "12=16" fiasco, you'll have to explain the "96=64" assumption that you made
Heh I guess I messed up. I feel kinda silly right now.

Samochan

Smash Master
I'm interested to know what PRO's vbm has actually played against, since no one still doesn't recognice him, aside from hbk and someone else. You'd think that if he has played so many pro's as he has claimed, someone would recognice him, especially if he also says he's not someone's alt.

And what players vbm considers as pro. =)

pockyD

Smash Legend
I know he technically won a match from having a bye, but why not just eliminate to a even 32 person bracket? has no byes, and less matches that will run faster. if it can save time here at pound it will help considering 4 events have to ran, one of which is a singles event with over 300 entrants, and another being another singles event of a slower game with almost 200 ppl. even with 3 days this thing has still gotta run fast.
already explained, and you already skipped over it

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
VBM...I've got something to say:

Nobodies winning MM's against somebodies...makes them a somebody. I'm not trying to make an issue here...or insult you. However...if you happen to lose your MM against a nobody...that would tarnish your reputation, right? Perhaps....maybe you don't want that to happen? I don't blame you, xD. I'm JUST saying.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
*cough* I actually posted a pretty decent idea....it allows for a 64 man bracket....
your idea is terrible. you're eliminating less than 50% in the last two rounds of pools and creating unbalanced pools, which is a necessary evil for the first round but is awful for subsequent rounds. it's also a 64 man bracket which is difficult to record and will have a number of hugely underwhelming matchups like Mogwai vs. Mango.

because the math works out great for melee to go to a 48 man bracket. it's seriously not a big deal at all. if you go 1-2 and tie with 0-2ers, it means you lost to a 3 seed or someone who lost to a 3 seed with your elimination on the line. you can QQ if you want, but frankly, we don't care that maybe the guy you tied with should've been 49th instead of 33rd. Besides, if it went to a 64 man bracket, that guy would've been favored over the next guy who made it into bracket and then he would've won and the end result is the same except he had to play a 4 seed instead of getting a bye.

brackets aren't good at ranking the lower placings, their purpose is to create accurate top placements while remaining practical.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I see...
pffft. Let the guy moneymatch the people who "unfairly tied him" if it bothers him that much then. That part of the bracket isn't that important for the results anyway
It kinds does since it's the final bracket lol

Ooooooooooooh, you have a video on youtube so you're not a random? WTF? I could find you a hundred randoms on youtube, it means nothing. I don't know you and I doubt anyone in the south knows you either(apart from those on the boards) sadly you're a lot less famous than you think you are. And you may think I'm nothing more than a troll and liar but you don't speak for everyone, don't say things like that in the future.

And again I don't money match nobodies, so no MM wih you.
umm... okay? Assume all you want since you're always right about everything. I never said I was famous lol. I'm not sure what I need to do to prove I know people, but I mean I don't really have to prove anything to you. You'll see me at Pound and I won't stop bothering you about mm'ing until you do.

btw I posted the video because it was be doing well against Dr.PP, but I guess you didn't even click the link lol, nub

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
your idea is terrible. you're eliminating less than 50% in the last two rounds of pools and creating unbalanced pools, which is a necessary evil for the first round but is awful for subsequent rounds. it's also a 64 man bracket which is difficult to record and will have a number of hugely underwhelming matchups like Mogwai vs. Mango.

*sigh* you could have said it a bit more tactfully. "Thanks, but no thanks." "Nice try, but it just doesn't work." Then the explanaation. I was trying to help, not trying to be a prick.

I know ALL about the hugely over/underwhelming match-ups. Ame vs. Swiftbass was a nightmare -_-. I know swiftbass doesn't remember it, but I do.:laugh:

stelzig

Smash Lord
It's also the only bracket and just the very first part of it... And there's 48 players in it. I personally don't see the big deal and completely agree with mogwai :p

pockyD

Smash Legend
*sigh* you could have said it a bit more tactfully. "Thanks, but no thanks." "Nice try, but it just doesn't work." Then the explanaation. I was trying to help, not trying to be a prick.

I know ALL about the hugely over/underwhelming match-ups. Ame vs. Swiftbass was a nightmare -_-. I know swiftbass doesn't remember it, but I do.:laugh:
even if you wanted a 64 man bracket, there's nothing really gained from using your system of imbalanced pools at every level

even something as simple as taking top 4/6 at the 96 level yields the same result

HAT

Smash Ace
ok so anyone who needs any form of housing my place is available, its 40 mins from the venue and $10 a night.

it's also a piano store.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
How do I setup pools to magically save time? Put the players that I know won't take as long in them.

2 TVs for those pools will be ideal. I know the wii's will be in short supply, but to do this using that method, it would only require 38 wiis, which i'm pretty sure we'll be able to do. MD/VA alone can probably get 20 wiis there.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
why are people even talking about 48 man brackets

we're going to have billions of setups, therefore there is no reason to do a 48 man bracket in place of a 64 man bracket because it literally will save no time

32 or 64 definitely

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
even if you wanted a 64 man bracket, there's nothing really gained from using your system of imbalanced pools at every level

even something as simple as taking top 4/6 at the 96 level yields the same result
I got it, *nods* It's just a lesson learned. I've seen it done before, but I guess on this international level it's a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom