• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Battle! Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

• Lucario

Votes: 1,019 32.2%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 327 10.3%
  • Deoxys

Votes: 175 5.5%
  • Meowth

Votes: 239 7.5%
  • Dragonite

Votes: 128 4.0%
  • Charizard

Votes: 155 4.9%
  • Scizor

Votes: 156 4.9%
  • Hitmonlee

Votes: 106 3.3%
  • Hitmonchan

Votes: 70 2.2%
  • Cubone / Marowak

Votes: 131 4.1%
  • Sandshrew / Sandslash

Votes: 61 1.9%
  • Pichu Bros. / Plusle and Minun

Votes: 120 3.8%
  • Eevee and evolutions

Votes: 147 4.6%
  • Gengar

Votes: 180 5.7%
  • Farfetch'd (How'd he get here, chi?)

Votes: 152 4.8%

• Total voters

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
And their stats aren't exactly horrible... a single Plusle of mine did pretty well against the Elite Four.
Yes, I know that doesn't mean a lot. But anyone can win with legendaries, eh?
But you don't really need legendaries to surpass Plusle :p. I mean, his only decent stat is a 85 base Sp. Atk., which, while decent, it's nothing to write home about. And having about the same defense as a Kadabra (who, as we all know, dies when any physical attacker looks in its general direction) doesn't really help either. The sad thing is, even being that bad, it's still pretty much strictly better than a Pikachu if you don't count extra nifties such as Volt Tackle and that particular item whose name I don't remember :laugh:

And no, Elite Four doesn't mean a lot indeed. I mean, I perfect'd the ground trainer and utterly destroyed half of the Champion's team (and would have been more, if not for running out of Solar Beams) with a level 43 Cherrim the first time I went to the League, and Cherrim is not exactly a bastion of awesome :laugh:

MysticKenji

Smash Master
But you don't really need legendaries to surpass Plusle :p. I mean, his only decent stat is a 85 base Sp. Atk., which, while decent, it's nothing to write home about. And having about the same defense as a Kadabra (who, as we all know, dies when any physical attacker looks in its general direction) doesn't really help either. The sad thing is, even being that bad, it's still pretty much strictly better than a Pikachu if you don't count extra nifties such as Volt Tackle and that particular item whose name I don't remember :laugh:
You mean the Light Ball?

And no, Elite Four doesn't mean a lot indeed. I mean, I perfect'd the ground trainer and utterly destroyed half of the Champion's team (and would have been more, if not for running out of Solar Beams) with a level 43 Cherrim the first time I went to the League, and Cherrim is not exactly a bastion of awesome :laugh:
No, but you are. Good job.

And Mewtwo should be by himself, GigaKoopa.

Fawriel

Smash Master

Hehe, yeah. Plusle rather deserves the title "low average" than horrible. I was just smart-assing there and making fun of how people tend to call average characters horrible.
Though I do take pride in the fact that I beat the Elite Four with a Plusle and a silly little Luvdisc in my team. :p
Mind you, I'm just a very casual Pokemon player, although I do have rather extensive knowledge about certain details like character stats and attacks and such.

1 vote for Plusle and Minun makes me mad, and kills 100 babies. 56 makes me enraged [like if WW Link were deconfirmed], and kills 5,600 babies. You do the math, that smells a crappy character, a p***ed Zelda/Smash fan, and a lot of dead babies. Thanks a lot you f***ing posers. Well, at least it isn't true unless they are PLAYABLE. Seriously though, they should be wat we called alternative punching bags [and non-playable ones at that]. Because they suck. Plusle and Minun having no chance being playable and them sucking, along with King Dedede basically as close to confirmed of being playable as you can get, and not sucking are the only things everyone on the smash boards should agree on. Definitely! :)
Wow that post makes me hope you die...

Anyway, Plusle and Minun are bad in the pokemon game... They're fun to use though, I used them in my double battle team and they ko'd alot of things I didn't think they would. And yeah beating the elite four with something doesn't mean anything. The elite four are horrible, anyone can beat them

Wrath`

Smash Master

Anyway, Plusle and Minun are bad in the pokemon game... They're fun to use though, I used them in my double battle team and they ko'd alot of things I didn't think they would. And yeah beating the elite four with something doesn't mean anything. The elite four are horrible, anyone can beat them
If the IC did not make i'd say they would have a chance, but scince the IC's are in (w00t) i see 1-5% chance in them.

Fawriel

Smash Master

Once when I was little, many years ago, I saw a kid playing Pokemon on his Gameboy.
He had a Mew.
And he was being owned by Lorelei.
I innerly laughed so hard at him. :chuckle:

But, yeah, I know it's not much of a deal to beat them. *shrugs* Just using it as an example.

PS: There can theoretically be more than one double-character, but putting one in would make the whole thing lose its charm. It would be a bad idea to make something unique, ordinary, simply put.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Ok then but I see no reason to quote me since i never stated if i did or did not support them in my post... but anyway, why can't there be more than one pair characters?
It would take away the IC's uniqueness, that si why so many peeps had problems with clones, it took away the originals uniquness a bit

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Plusle & Minun> please we already have the Ice climbers we don't need another sucky duo like them around especially since they'll be too similar to Pichu & Pikachu

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
I have no idea what the hell pokemon RPG your talking about unless you mean the game...in which they have horrible stats...
You should all know by now that stats in the RPGs have NOTHING to do with how strong they are in Smash. Otherwise Mewtwo wouldn't loose to Jigglypuff, Pikachu and Pichu.

I decided on a final roster of what I think the Pokémon playable Characters will be.
1. Pikachu
2. Jigglypuff
3. Mewtwo
4. Pokémon Trainer - Charizard, Squirtle , Ivysaur
5. Lucario
6. (Possible) Pichu/ Blaziken/ Plusle & Minun/ Meowth

That seems reasonable to me.

OmegaXXII

^ by what you are suggesting i'd rather see Gardevoir much more than Pichu since Gardevoir would be much more unique in attacks than Pichu

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
You should all know by now that stats in the RPGs have NOTHING to do with how strong they are in Smash. Otherwise Mewtwo wouldn't loose to Jigglypuff, Pikachu and Pichu.

I decided on a final roster of what I think the Pokémon playable Characters will be.
1. Pikachu
2. Jigglypuff
3. Mewtwo
5. Lucario

well, 1 & 4 are confirmed

J-Puff has been in ever SSB so she's as good as in.

Mewtwo was in melee and was not a clone so he's pro'lly good too.

Pichu is likely deleted, and I don't see more than one more pokemon making it tops... So probably lucario or meowth if any at all

OmegaXXII

1. Pikachu
2. Jigglypuff
3. Mewtwo
5. Lucario

that roster is exactly like mine except I take oue Plusle & Minun, Meowth, and maybe Jiggs but other than that it is most likely that we'll see this roster if more than 40+ characters make it into Brawl, if not I say at least 5 would at least appear

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . .I don't get how P&M would "take away the uniqueness" of IC. Thats like saying that Ridley would take alway from Char because they are both huge, winged dragons or that Wario takes away from G&W because they both have that jaggy-frame-skipping movement. . .

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Regardless, there are far better pokemon to choose from...

quam

Smash Cadet
you know that charizard is a character in brawl right? the new character pokemon trainer uses him

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Well, no... actually there is a point there.

Let's hold on for a second and consider shall we.

What makes a character Brawl worthy? Well, honestly, no-one really knows until they are in the game, but there are certainly things that enhance your chances.

1) Being in previous SSBs... in fact, Jiggly and Pikachu have been in both which practically nets them spots. Mewtwo and Picu have been in only 1, and pichu was a clone which is major marks against him, but mewtwo still looks like a fairly safe bet.

2) Recognizability. It's kind of a large help if people know who you are. Now, I know that you can say that Ice Climbers and Game and Watch were not very well known at all before SSB and that's fair enough, but, even so, they were the stars of their respective franchises. It is wholly unlikely that any obscure pokemon would be picked before a well known one. Once again, Big marks for pikachu and mewtwo here. Jigglypuff scores less so, but still more than most other pokemon. Unfortunately, most of the well recognized pokemon would fall solely in the early games.

3) Importance to the series. Well this should really cut down the list. Pikachu was obviously one of the stars of the Anime and has a few games that feature it. Mewtwo has his own movie and is THE definitive uber pokemon. He was the first, he's still one of the best. He was the final goal of all pokemon trainers in Red Blue and Yellow. Meowth was one of the villains constantly thwarted by Ash in the anime. Unfortunately, very few pokemon will shine here, and the bane of any starting pokemon (eg. Blaziken) is that they are no more integral tha any of the other starters. Keep in mind also, that squirtle, ivysaur and charizard were moderately important in the anime and were of respectable importance to the game, and THEY don't get their own character to themselves, so no pokemon less important will likely do so without great reasoning otherwise.

4) Personality. Pokeon is a unique game in that the characters likely for inclusion into brawl are esssentially just your emotionless pets. The only way to break this is to have importance outside of the games. Very few examples come to mind. Jigglypuff was mischevious in the anime. Mewtwo was the antagonist of his movie. Pikachu was full of personality in the Anime. But more than any other pokemon, team rocket's talking meowth had a personality. As well as being comical and sassy, he went as far as to star in his own game, albeit one that got cancelled, a feet that only pikachu has mimicked.

5) Representation of franchise. This is the big hitter here. We already have Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer confirmed. And Jigglypuff is a near sure thing as well as Mewtwo being a VERY likely returning smasher. This is a total of 4 characters (6 if you split up the trainer since each pokeon will be unique) already in brawl. ALSO, there are tonnes of pokemon available in pokeballs throughout the game. And while pokemon is a great series, it is not one of nintendo's cornerstones like the Mario or Zelda series are. I don't see more pokemon coming in and I CERTAINLY don't see more than one new addition at most.

6) Ease of incorperation. pretty much: how easily can this thing adapt to being a brawler. If it has no arms and legs then it's a no. it has to be able to utilize items, the stage and it's movelist the same as any other brawler. This cuts out LOTS and LOTS of pokemon. the closer to humanoid it is, the better. So, sorry gyarados lovers, it's a no.

8) Originality. Yeah this certainly helps. and hurts. I mean, with the anouncement of no clones, we can pretty much eliminate Pichu, Raichu, igglybuff, wigglytuff, mew and any other sort of pokemon trainer. And also any pokemon like the three the trainer controlls.

so... I implore that we keep these considerations in mind before blindly bashing or praising a pokemon. I mean, I love my jolteon. It's my favourite pokemon ever and always has been, but I dont have any false delusions about Jolteon making it into brawl as anything but a pokeballed creature.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
looks like Piplup is the new Marill except it sprays water around it
and just to say for those CS Link non-believers: Piplup looks cel-shaded IMO and it doesnt really clash with the other characters (which is also my opinion...)
Piplup is not cel-shaded...you can tell by the fact the shading has a gradient

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Plusle & Minun> please we already have the Ice climbers we don't need another sucky duo like them around especially since they'll be too similar to Pichu & Pikachu
^ A quote from the f***ing truth.

1. Pikachu
2. Jigglypuff
3. Mewtwo
5. Lucario

Scratch P/M, they suck. With all honesty, Naruto has a better chance of being playable with the PT's confirmation.

[sarcasm...but still, it's a close call]

Replace Pichu with Gardevoir. That is all.
^ Replace anyone with P/M.

here we i go vote for these pokemon:001: :002: :002:
:003: :003: :004: :004:
:005: :005: :006: :006:
:007: :007: :008: :008:
:009: :009: :011: :011:

i hope that happens.
^ BLASTOISE WAS THERE! OMFG I LOVE YOU! HAVE MY BABIES! You f***ing rock!

Spreading the truth. Seriously, the sucked. My team of Sceptile, Breloom, Groudon, Kyrougue, Rayzuaza, Jirachi, Dexoys, Latios, Mew, Lugia, and Ho-oh from my Pokémon Ruby would pwn them. Any of them. THEY SUCK! SUCK! SUCK! Latios and Latias=ultimate team characters, along with Sceptile/any grass Pokémon and Groudon, and Kyrouge and Zapdos or Raikou. End of discussion. :p

And on one in Brawl is cel-shaded....yet. =D Piplup just looks like your average crap cartoon, but with EXELLENT light effects. That is all. Good night [or early morning] everyone. C'ya around.

-Johnknight1! :)

deebz435

Smash Journeyman
I would have to say that seeing Piplup decreases the likeliness of more starters as PCs. On the bright side we have seen two 4th gens as pokeballs now and Lucario wasn't one of them, so I'm still holding out hope for him.

Fawriel

Smash Master
3) Importance to the series. Well this should really cut down the list. Pikachu was obviously one of the stars of the Anime and has a few games that feature it. Mewtwo has his own movie and is THE definitive uber pokemon. He was the first, he's still one of the best. He was the final goal of all pokemon trainers in Red Blue and Yellow. Meowth was one of the villains constantly thwarted by Ash in the anime. Unfortunately, very few pokemon will shine here, and the bane of any starting pokemon (eg. Blaziken) is that they are no more integral tha any of the other starters. Keep in mind also, that squirtle, ivysaur and charizard were moderately important in the anime and were of respectable importance to the game, and THEY don't get their own character to themselves, so no pokemon less important will likely do so without great reasoning otherwise.

4) Personality. Pokeon is a unique game in that the characters likely for inclusion into brawl are esssentially just your emotionless pets. The only way to break this is to have importance outside of the games. Very few examples come to mind. Jigglypuff was mischevious in the anime. Mewtwo was the antagonist of his movie. Pikachu was full of personality in the Anime. But more than any other pokemon, team rocket's talking meowth had a personality. As well as being comical and sassy, he went as far as to star in his own game, albeit one that got cancelled, a feet that only pikachu has mimicked.

5) Representation of franchise. This is the big hitter here. We already have Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer confirmed. And Jigglypuff is a near sure thing as well as Mewtwo being a VERY likely returning smasher. This is a total of 4 characters (6 if you split up the trainer since each pokeon will be unique) already in brawl. ALSO, there are tonnes of pokemon available in pokeballs throughout the game. And while pokemon is a great series, it is not one of nintendo's cornerstones like the Mario or Zelda series are. I don't see more pokemon coming in and I CERTAINLY don't see more than one new addition at most.
I'll just throw in the little-known fact that Gardevoir fits all these points by being an actual main character in the relatively successful Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.
Not playable ( at least not more so than others ), no, but much of the story revolves around her, she has own cut-scenes, an own theme song, and the very fact that she has such importance in that game must speak for something regarding her status.

That's all. ^^

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I would have to say that seeing Piplup decreases the likeliness of more starters as PCs. On the bright side we have seen two 4th gens as pokeballs now and Lucario wasn't one of them, so I'm still holding out hope for him.
Blaziken also stands, but its only chances of being a fighter are if another PKMN Trainer is added to the roster. However, quite a few people hate that idea (mainly since they dislike generations beyond generation 1).

Fawriel

Smash Master
(mainly since they dislike generations beyond generation 1).
That has nothing to do with it. At least for most people.

First of all, it's simply extremely unlikely.
1. The character's called Pokemon Trainer. A generic name. Chances are there'll be costume changes to turn the character in the background into someone else, like a female trainer.
2. If this one is called Pokemon Trainer, what would the other one be called? "The other guy"?
3. It's a unique concept. If it's repeated within the same game, it is no longer unique. The difference between this and the Charizard-Ridley comparison from earlier is that the Ice Climbers and the PT live from their originality. It's one of the main reasons why they're even there in the first place. The Ice Climbers were chosen over that motorcycle guy and others because they brought the unique mechanism of a double character with them. The same probably goes for the Pokemon Trainer.
4. It was a HUGE load of work to make the PT. He's practically four characters in one, and if there'll be costume changes for him, even more. Some people even speculate that there'll be no more new Pokemon because of how obscenely much work this one must have taken to create. So, no, I doubt that they'll go through the effort again for something that would no longer be unique.
5. Some say that the first gen starters only rep the first gen, so there should be starters from later generations as well. But if you think about it, these three guys are representatives of all starters, as they are the originals who started the whole concept and whom everyone knows, just like Marth was chosen as the representative of the Fire Emblem franchise due to being the first lord in the first game.

I was going to have a "secondly", but I forgot what I was gonna say. =D

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
Gengar and Dragonite are my fav Pkmn so I'd have to go with one of them. Gengar is my all time fav, though, and it would make for an awesome character imo. Dragonite would be awesome too seeing as gliding is now an option. Not to mention the Hyper Beam possibility. Yeah, Dragonite seems like the perfect choice.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
I want Lucario the most but I think Meowth deserves to be in Smash Bros. Pikachu, Meowth and Jigglypuff were the three most known pokemon in the anime. Jigglypuff and Pikachu are in, so why not Meowth. I think he deserves it =]

Meowth for Brawl!

Top Bottom