• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Battle! Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

• Lucario

Votes: 1,019 32.2%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 327 10.3%
  • Deoxys

Votes: 175 5.5%
  • Meowth

Votes: 239 7.5%
  • Dragonite

Votes: 128 4.0%
  • Charizard

Votes: 155 4.9%
  • Scizor

Votes: 156 4.9%
  • Hitmonlee

Votes: 106 3.3%
  • Hitmonchan

Votes: 70 2.2%
  • Cubone / Marowak

Votes: 131 4.1%
  • Sandshrew / Sandslash

Votes: 61 1.9%
  • Pichu Bros. / Plusle and Minun

Votes: 120 3.8%
  • Eevee and evolutions

Votes: 147 4.6%
  • Gengar

Votes: 180 5.7%
  • Farfetch'd (How'd he get here, chi?)

Votes: 152 4.8%

• Total voters

Mike966

Smash Cadet
A jotho pokemon trainer would be awsome, Feraligatr Bayleef and Cindaquil Would be the best combination IMO! I'd love to play as feraligatr.

But 2 pokemon trainers is dreaming too much.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
why not vote for these too :011: harden ftw! :014: uh harden ftw again!
:087: sludge ftw! also thise random monkey would be nice :monkey:

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
why not vote for these too :011: harden ftw! :014: uh harden ftw again!
:087: sludge ftw! also thise random monkey would be nice :monkey:
We'll save the monkey for the stickers.

And 2 pkmn trainers isn't such an 'out there' idea. One female, another male. This has already been discussed though so yeah...

I prefer Typhlosion over Feraligatr but that's just me. Enough with the fire breathing though. Ty should do some kind of awesome lava attack. Flame Wheel as a side or up + b. Magnitude as the down + b. The longer you charge the stronger the magnitude. It would only know this because it's half ground type. B attack could be lava plume or soemthing like that. I've never seen lava plume in D/P so I couldn't tell you what it'd do, but it sounds cool.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'll just throw in the little-known fact that Gardevoir fits all these points by being an actual main character in the relatively successful Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.
Not playable ( at least not more so than others ), no, but much of the story revolves around her, she has own cut-scenes, an own theme song, and the very fact that she has such importance in that game must speak for something regarding her status.

That's all. ^^
even so, I shall venture to say that Gardevoir is not near so important as Meowth, nor does she have near the recognizability or fan base. While she may be more deserving than your run of the mill pokemon, she isn't stand-out enough to merit her inclusion in my opinion, and the opinion of many others.

With all the pokemon already included, a pokemon would have to REALLY stand out in most of the afformentioned categories to have even a chance of entering.

Team Rocket's Meowth is really the only pokemon who fits the bill, though I guess lucario should at least have a chance because of all his support. But honestly those are the only two that have any shot at all, and ven those two have an uphill battle with PT's inclusion

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
Two pokemon trainers isn't so out there, but i personally don't want another especially from johto which has the worst starters IMO.
And Johto is out anyway because of Chikorita.

Like I said before, Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken would rock. Mudkip with its mud-slap, Grovyle with its leaf blade and Blaziken with its blaze kick.

EDIT: Meowth actually seems like a cool idea. Perhaps a Team Rocket PT with Meowth Arbok and Weezing?

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
If there was a team rocket trainer it would be giovanni but that's been discussed earlier and i dont think it went anywhere.
Giovanni wouldn't have Meowth though, he'd have Persian, which is actually a worse choice than Meowth. So yeah, Giovanni is out. They can still do a Team Rocket member PT though, but solo Meowth seems like the best choice atm.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
I would rather have some pokes that actually look cool and are good namely MEWTWO and Lucario.
Having someone small and agile can be fun though. But yeah, I wouldn't mind a Lucario and Mewtwo addition. What I really want is Gengar and Dragonite though.

deebz435

Smash Journeyman
I loved Dragonite and Gengar and i would use them on my team if they could gel with the other pokes i have but unfortunately they dont. Anyway Mewtwo is my fav and lucario would just be a great addition, and they both have a better chance especially M2.

Fawriel

Smash Master
even so, I shall venture to say that Gardevoir is not near so important as Meowth, nor does she have near the recognizability or fan base. While she may be more deserving than your run of the mill pokemon, she isn't stand-out enough to merit her inclusion in my opinion, and the opinion of many others.

With all the pokemon already included, a pokemon would have to REALLY stand out in most of the afformentioned categories to have even a chance of entering.

Team Rocket's Meowth is really the only pokemon who fits the bill, though I guess lucario should at least have a chance because of all his support. But honestly those are the only two that have any shot at all, and ven those two have an uphill battle with PT's inclusion
Hmmm, I dunno about the fanbase... from what I've seen, it's rather large. And considering that she got that big role in that game shows that she's being recognized by Nintendo and everyone as something special.
Whatever the case, she managed to jump into the category of Pokemon actually worth considering, who are not "random" ( like, say, Blaziken ). And no, being legendary doesn't get you onto that list. That stopped being special somewhere around generation 3.

From that point on, Pokemon are chosen just like other characters from other games... that means the deciding factors are recognizability, personality, fan-service, uniqueness, and, basically, Sakurai has to think they are worth something.
And considering that Gardevoir's the only Pokemon to have been addressed on that infamous poll thing, I'd say he does see something in her.

I think the Pokemon who are on that "list of notable Pokemon" that I spoke of are, besides those that are already in Melee:

Mew
Lucario
Deoxys
Meowth
Munchlax
Gardevoir

I probably forgot a few, but it's still not a big list. Note that I excluded those who just don't work, like Lugia.

As for Meowth... I think he had his chance. His fanbase isn't getting any bigger, and he wouldn't offer incredibly much in terms of uniqueness or personality.
Arguably, neither would Gardevoir.
We'll just have to wait and see.

deebz435

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, I dunno about the fanbase... from what I've seen, it's rather large. And considering that she got that big role in that game shows that she's being recognized by Nintendo and everyone as something special.
Whatever the case, she managed to jump into the category of Pokemon actually worth considering, who are not "random" ( like, say, Blaziken ). And no, being legendary doesn't get you onto that list. That stopped being special somewhere around generation 3.

From that point on, Pokemon are chosen just like other characters from other games... that means the deciding factors are recognizability, personality, fan-service, uniqueness, and, basically, Sakurai has to think they are worth something.
And considering that Gardevoir's the only Pokemon to have been addressed on that infamous poll thing, I'd say he does see something in her.

I think the Pokemon who are on that "list of notable Pokemon" that I spoke of are, besides those that are already in Melee:

Mew
Lucario
Deoxys
Meowth
Munchlax
Gardevoir

I probably forgot a few, but it's still not a big list. Note that I excluded those who just don't work, like Lugia.

As for Meowth... I think he had his chance. His fanbase isn't getting any bigger, and he wouldn't offer incredibly much in terms of uniqueness or personality.
Arguably, neither would Gardevoir.
We'll just have to wait and see.
You make a good point cause this is just speculation and we won't know for sure until later, btw did you mean Mew or Mewtwo on your list?

BenB

Smash Cadet
I didn't take the time to read more than 10 pages of this...263 in total D: However, i just wanted to put my two cents in. Farfetched FTW xDDDDD. JK, but Farfetched has always been one of my favorites, for...some reason. I'm not a fan of any of the characters who seem to be the most popular here. IMO, the only one worth putting in thats listed is meowth. Lucario, Blaziken...sorry, i'm just not a fan.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Blaziken is NOT random
What's notable about it besides it amassing a medium-sized American fanbase and being one of a grand 36 starter Pokemon?

@deebz: I did mean Mew. He's, after all, the quintessential "cute" legendary, co-star of two movies and the kid who houses the DNA of almost all Pokemon.
And Mewtwo was already in Melee, silly. :p

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
I loved Dragonite and Gengar and i would use them on my team if they could gel with the other pokes i have but unfortunately they dont. Anyway Mewtwo is my fav and lucario would just be a great addition, and they both have a better chance especially M2.
Lucario, though, is like Samus and Mewtwo in that it's B attack would probably be Aura Sphere. That's the only complaint that I have. Unless Aura Sphere has a different effect or something different about it, it'll be exactly like Mewtwo. Having two pokemon with pretty much the same attack isn't a good idea.

deebz435

Smash Journeyman
Two characters can have a similar attack without being clones, mewtwo and samus are completely different except they both have a b charge up move. Lucario wouldn't be a clone just cause aura sphere would be chargeable and you don't even know if it's chargeable, it might not be.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
Two characters can have a similar attack without being clones, mewtwo and samus are completely different except they both have a b charge up move. Lucario wouldn't be a clone just cause aura sphere would be chargeable and you don't even know if it's chargeable, it might not be.
Well, I was saying that two pokemon having the same attacks would be bad. I know it wouldn't be a clone, but it would have a similar attack. But yeah, it may not even be chargable. They could do a lot of things to make it different, and, if Lucario makes it, I hope they do.

BenB

Smash Cadet
Ugh, Aura Sphere

Aura sphere IMO, would only be good if it was a fast-ish shot, making it playable with SHFFLING. Gotta think about making tournament popular movesets. Damage wise, obviously it would have to suffer a bit, if it was fast.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Oh please.

A ton of Smash characters have one or two similar moves.

I've heard someone say that Sonic would be a Jigglypuff clone. Because Jigglypuff has rollout.
A move that isn't even essential to her style!

You don't want to be someone like that, do you?

PS: You people post too much. =/

PSS: So do I, but only because I'm trying to catch up. Ahem.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
Im pretty sure he'll have a unique fighting style and he'll have to utilize aura sphere in some shape or form.
Yep let's hope so. That is, again, if he makes it. They could just settle for him being in a pokeball.

Fawriel said:
Oh please.

A ton of Smash characters have one or two similar moves.

I've heard someone say that Sonic would be a Jigglypuff clone. Because Jigglypuff has rollout.
A move that isn't even essential to her style!

You don't want to be someone like that, do you?

PS: You people post too much. =/
I was just saying Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball might be too similar. I never used the word clone or implied anything about a clone.

PS: what other way am I going to rid myself of the title: Smash n00b?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Yep let's hope so. That is, again, if he makes it. They could just settle for him being in a pokeball.

I was just saying Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball might be too similar. I never used the word clone or implied anything about a clone.

I have strong doubts about Lucario being a pokeball pokemon. Considering that Sakurai has revealed two popular pokmeon already; why wouldn't he reveal Lucario if he was in a pokeball already? Of course Sakurai is so random; he could of chosen not to reveal Lucario's pokeball yet; though I really do hope he will be playable.

-Knight

BenB

Smash Cadet
That would be lame, if he was just in a pokeball. As i said before, im not necessarily a supporter of Lucario, but with his fan base, and popularity, i think it would be a poor choice to limit him to a pokeball. However, I can see something like this happening, if they want to make room for other non-pokemon characters. I mean...pokemon trainer is already out, and, look what they did to Deoxys. :ohwell:

deebz435

Smash Journeyman

Yea I know what you're saying and one more post and you'll be rid of that name.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Mew
Lucario
Deoxys
Meowth
Munchlax
Gardevoir
Well let's see.
About the fanbase thing, Meowth's is still much larger than Gardevoirs even if he is past his prime. Also, meowth is actually recognizable outside of the pokemon demographic. Many non-pokemon players can identify or at least recognize a meowth. Gardevior does not have this.

and as far as mew... I doubt it.... it's stature and the fact that it floats a few feet abouve the ground really don't lend themselves well to the Smash franchise. So I say strike mew and gardevoir. Gardevoir can never compete with meowth as far as reception with old school fans and non pokemon gamers and is currently being FAR outcompeted by lucario and meowth with the new age pokemon gamers. Cross your fingers for her inclusion into a pokeball but likely nothing more.

In fact, like I said before, with the inclusion of Pokemon Trainer, don't hold your breath for ANY new playable pokemon, and certainly don't hold out hope for more than one newcomer.

BenB

Smash Cadet
I'm officially Un-n00bed!

Hmm, perhaps Lucario can shoot continuous Aura Spheres like Fox and his trusty, yet suckish, gun does.
Thats what i meant before by quick shot, although thats pretty fast for Lucario's Aura Sphere. I disagree that Fox's gun is suckish though, as it deals quick damage without getting hit, and being vulnerable, while SHFFLing.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
Thats what i meant before by quick shot, although thats pretty fast for Lucario's Aura Sphere. I disagree that Fox's gun is suckish though, as it deals quick damage with SHFFLing.
Yeah, perhaps more Falco's gun speed. And I suppose the damage is noteworthy of fox's gun. The rate of its speed makes up for anything that it lacks.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Well let's see.
About the fanbase thing, Meowth's is still much larger than Gardevoirs even if he is past his prime. Also, meowth is actually recognizable outside of the pokemon demographic. Many non-pokemon players can identify or at least recognize a meowth. Gardevior does not have this.

and as far as mew... I doubt it.... it's stature and the fact that it floats a few feet abouve the ground really don't lend themselves well to the Smash franchise. So I say strike mew and gardevoir. Gardevoir can never compete with meowth as far as reception with old school fans and non pokemon gamers and is currently being FAR outcompeted by lucario and meowth with the new age pokemon gamers. Cross your fingers for her inclusion into a pokeball but likely nothing more.

In fact, like I said before, with the inclusion of Pokemon Trainer, don't hold your breath for ANY new playable pokemon, and certainly don't hold out hope for more than one newcomer.
Oh, I don't think Gardevoir is extremely likely or anything, just likely enough for me to actually get my hopes up. Neither is Mew, he's just recognizable and out-standing.
I still think Gardevoir is far more likely than Meowth, though. :p

I've said all I can say about that, so, yeah, let's end that discussion.

PS: ....you still post too much!
You N-Siders are too hyperactive for an old man like me. -_-

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be neat if Lucario's Aura Sphere had homing capablities; since in game Aura Sphere cannot miss it's target.

-Knight
That's actually a sweet idea. But the damage it deals would have to be significantly lowered as it would be continuous and homing.

BenB

Smash Cadet
That's actually a sweet idea. But the damage it deals would have to be significantly lowered as it would be continuous and homing.
Lower damage is definitely true. I think this is unlikely though, because who would it follow in a match with more than 2 people? That would complicate using the move a lot. Interesting idea though

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
Lower damage is definitely true. I think this is unlikely though, because who would it follow in a match with more than 2 people? That would complicate using the move a lot. Interesting idea though
Yeah, unless there's some kind of lock on feature for Lucario, it's probably not going to happen. Maybe he'll shoot 1 Aura Sphere and then it'll be controllable like Ness' PK Thunder. That might be kind of lame though. Oh well, homing was a nice thought though.

Top Bottom