• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
ummm.....sonicpuff??
Nah, it's Sonic the Hedgepuff.

But you're right, Bowser; with the shop on hiatus there's not a whole lot to discuss that's shop-related. Comments can't be made on edits because they're not being done (for the most part), requests can't be made...there's not a whole lot to discuss other than other Pokemon things.

EDIT: Okay, I thought I'd bring this up here, since it involves sprite editing. The shiny Pokemon have pretty obvious lazy recolors. Let me show you an example:

I enlarged it to 2x so you can better see things. Notice that Ivysaur and Venusaur's flower colors were changed for the shiny sprite. Also notice that in the original the eyes are red, while in the shiny form they are orange; the same color as the flower. ALSO take note that the mouth color was changed for both to the same exact color. Now, I've noticed things like this on shiny sprites before, and brushed it off as "Well, it's PROBABLY lazy, but they could've wanted the mouth and eyes to be that color." This time, however, I noticed Bulbasaur. His eyes and mouth are the original color. In other words, they probably used one of the methods I use for recoloring, or at least something similar--not a pixel-by-pixel recolor, but either a blanket correction of every instance of the color or the way I use most, which uses the eraser but only changes the color I want to, to the color I want it changed to. I have, on occasion, done something like this, recoloring the eyes or mouth when it shouldn't change. I might've left it once or twice, but as you may notice with Groudill, I did not change the mouth. I kept it the original red, because mouths are not blue. On Groudon's shiny sprite, however, it is the green-yellow color that part of his body is. So yeah, I just thought it was interesting to note that there's some rather lazy RECOLORING. Of all things for them to get lazy with, the easiest thing in spriting, they get lazy with.

If I'm just being a total sprite geek, ignore me...

majora_787

Smash Hero
Nah, it's Sonic the Hedgepuff.

But you're right, Bowser; with the shop on hiatus there's not a whole lot to discuss that's shop-related. Comments can't be made on edits because they're not being done (for the most part), requests can't be made...there's not a whole lot to discuss other than other Pokemon things.

EDIT: Okay, I thought I'd bring this up here, since it involves sprite editing. The shiny Pokemon have pretty obvious lazy recolors. Let me show you an example:

I enlarged it to 2x so you can better see things. Notice that Ivysaur and Venusaur's flower colors were changed for the shiny sprite. Also notice that in the original the eyes are red, while in the shiny form they are orange; the same color as the flower. ALSO take note that the mouth color was changed for both to the same exact color. Now, I've noticed things like this on shiny sprites before, and brushed it off as "Well, it's PROBABLY lazy, but they could've wanted the mouth and eyes to be that color." This time, however, I noticed Bulbasaur. His eyes and mouth are the original color. In other words, they probably used one of the methods I use for recoloring, or at least something similar--not a pixel-by-pixel recolor, but either a blanket correction of every instance of the color or the way I use most, which uses the eraser but only changes the color I want to, to the color I want it changed to. I have, on occasion, done something like this, recoloring the eyes or mouth when it shouldn't change. I might've left it once or twice, but as you may notice with Groudill, I did not change the mouth. I kept it the original red, because mouths are not blue. On Groudon's shiny sprite, however, it is the green-yellow color that part of his body is. So yeah, I just thought it was interesting to note that there's some rather lazy RECOLORING. Of all things for them to get lazy with, the easiest thing in spriting, they get lazy with.

If I'm just being a total sprite geek, ignore me...
._. That huge wall of text is kinda hard to ignore, Firus.

Also, that bulbasaur sprite looks like laziness when you compare it to the other two. Same eyes and mouth. =\

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
._. That huge wall of text is kinda hard to ignore, Firus.

Also, that bulbasaur sprite looks like laziness when you compare it to the other two. Same eyes and mouth. =\
It's laziness all around. The only reason Bulbasaur's eyes and mouth weren't changed is because he had no flower to recolor. In the process of recoloring the other two's flowers, they recolored the eyes and mouth as well.

M.K

Level 55
OMFG, I just got a request from someone on SerebiiForums that saw my signature and visited the shop! Cross-Forum Requesting FTW!!

But, oh lord, it's for a "Eevee + Rayquaza + Raichu + Lucario"! That thing looks harder to do than a crippled person with erectile disfunction!

Oh lawdy!!!!!!! SAVE ME!!!!

MUTHA FRACKING EDIT:

Finished the type change of one of my fusions, Natowoodo. The new name for Natowoodo's Fire/Ghost-type distant cousin (who LOVES raspberries) is Natorcist (Natu + Torch + Exorcist)

XACE-K

Smash Master
OMFG, I just got a request from someone on SerebiiForums that saw my signature and visited the shop! Cross-Forum Requesting FTW!!

But, oh lord, it's for a "Eevee + Rayquaza + Raichu + Something Else"

...look at what you did. If I owned this shop I'd fire you.
sarcasm

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I think shiny groudon does look like vomit, but IMO shiny kyogre and rayquaza are the best shinies. It sucks not being able to make sprites on my phone. Firus you really went into allot of detail on the shinies, but it was interesting, also why did you choose the bulbasaur evolutions. Also its gonna get REALY boring with no sprites to talk about. I think you and the others from the shop should make a thread to teach people like Xace-K(sorry to exemplify you, its just you've mentioned a couple times that your not good at it) how to make custom sprites.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

But, oh lord, it's for a "Eevee + Rayquaza + Raichu + Lucario"! That thing looks harder to do than a crippled person with erectile disfunction!

Well, I may be on vacation but I'd like to take it for when I get back. I bet you I can pull it off.

Wow! I would never have noticed that. BTW I use the eraser too :)

EDIT: Crossforum requesting, OMG advertise to all the forums :p j/k
Hehe, yeah, I'm a geek. But yeah, eraser wins. I used to use the other method, but I started using the eraser method a little bit and started liking it a lot more, and now I always use it.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I think shiny groudon does look like vomit, but IMO shiny kyogre and rayquaza are the best shinies. It sucks not being able to make sprites on my phone. Firus you really went into allot of detail on the shinies, but it was interesting, also why did you choose the bulbasaur evolutions. Also its gonna get REALY boring with no sprites to talk about. I think you and the others from the shop should make a thread to teach people like Xace-K(sorry to exemplify you, its just you've mentioned a couple times that your not good at it) how to make custom sprites.
There is many ways to learn and become master

but really, youtube is a great way because it shows you step by step.

M.K

Level 55
Hehe, Spire III, if you were a woman, I would WRECK you SO hard that even pedophiles would be like "DAM SON!!!"
hahaha, did you highlight this so that you could read it? Well, you better read it ALL, because in your next post, if you don't put the word "Deliciousness", I will KNOW that you didn't read it! Anyways, the previous statement was sarcasm, and I would not in any way cause harm to your CHOICE parts of the body

Finished the type change of one of my fusions, Natowoodo. The new name for Natowoodo's Fire/Ghost-type distant cousin (who LOVES raspberries) is Natorcist (Natu + Torch + Exorcist)

ACTUALLY! I thought I could do a BIT better than this, so I did NATORCIST 2.0! Tell me which of the two you prefer!

Also, some of MY fusions are head-cut/pastes and recoloring. Go figure, I'm not THAT good at spriting! :chuckle: The way I do it though, is to make it look as NATURAL as possible!

zrky

Smash Lol'd
well I have gone to youtube but some do recolors with colors from random pokemon. Others cut and paste heads, they aren't as good as yours, that is why'd memtioned it. If a custom shop starts in serebii forums(doubt it) I'm in:)
I am so trying the cross-forum request with at least the pokemon mentioned.

M.K

Level 55
Make sure to check version 2.0 Firus in my edited post, and did you highlight the spoiler? GUESS NOT!
Raspberries = My Favorite Fruit EVAR!
I'm not even gonna TRY the Serebii Forums request, but this guy seems a little....needy X_x Maybe one of you could come out of hiatus-ness for ONE request and then return to the Cave of Hiatusness?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, I love Kyogre and Rayquaza. I've always wanted both, but especially Kyogre.

I chose the Bulbasaur evolutions because, for one, it's when I noticed that it's definitely laziness, and also, it's an example of "Here the eyes are different, but here they're not" in the same evolution chain, meaning that there's not much other explanation there.

Hehe, Spire III, if you were a woman, I would WRECK you SO hard that even pedophiles would be like "DAM SON!!!"
hahaha, did you highlight this so that you could read it? Well, you better read it ALL, because in your next post, if you don't put the word "Deliciousness", I will KNOW that you didn't read it! Anyways, the previous statement was sarcasm, and I would not in any way cause harm to your CHOICE parts of the body

That was a...slightly...odd...comment.

As for Natorcist, it looks awesome. Good job.
I personally like 1.0 better. The cyclops situation of 2.0 is a great idea, but I think that regular eyes look better.

Mm...now you made me want raspberries. They're so full of deliciousness.

Admit it, I did a great job of implementing it.

well I have gone to youtube but some do recolors with colors from random pokemon. Others cut and paste heads, they aren't as good as yours, that is why'd memtioned it. If a custom shop starts in serebii forums(doubt it) I'm in:)
I am so trying the cross-forum request with at least the pokemon mentioned.
I think he was referring to one of us CREATING one, not to look for a pre-existing one.

But yeah, I suppose I'll come out of the cave of hiatus temporarily to make that fusion quickly so Mr. Needy won't keep bugging you.

EDIT: Dangit. I meant to edit my other post and instead posted it again with edits and such. I'll delete the other one.

M.K

Level 55
It's not even funny how my favorite pokemon gets the uttermost craptastic recoloring for his Shiny Form:

Oh gawd, I hate this type of Shiny. The same color, just a different HUE! It's like, how would you know this Poliwag (in real life, if they were real) is Shiny and not just a little bit CLEANER! Gah!

Poliwhirl is the same way.

Poliwrath and Politoed get REALLY good Shiny forms! Way to hog it from the little guys!

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
It's not even funny how my favorite pokemon gets the uttermost craptastic recoloring for his Shiny Form:

Oh gawd, I hate this type of Shiny. The same color, just a different HUE! It's like, how would you know this Poliwag (in real life, if they were real) is Shiny and not just a little bit CLEANER! Gah!

Poliwrath and Politoed get REALLY good Shiny forms! Way to hog it from the little guys!

I liked poliwraths old gold/silver shiny better. It was like an aqua blue. As for poliwag, I find it weird that that is the same shiny majora addressed in the shiny thread :p but seriously I think poli isnt to bad.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Uh huh...

And then what?

For the record, I'm glad that I'm not a delicious[ness] woman.

XACE-K

Smash Master
It's okay. I need to learn to make them. I'll take bk's suggestion and go to youtube. I just need my RickRoll sheild first.

majora_787

Smash Hero

I like poliwag too. That's why I traded my shiny Gloom for a shiny Poliwag in Silver version, so I could have the shiny Poliwrath. Cuz I would rather be a shiny gloom guy than shiny poliwag guy.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I would say that being the shiny gloom guy is worse. Firus, onetime my friend bought a used emerald, and it came with all the shiny 3rd gen. Legendary Shinies. He gave me the shiny kyogre(a.k.a. Purple kyogre) but when I checked for it the other day it was 'stolen' from my box:(
has anyone seen shiny empoleon, cuz I would love to have/see one:)

Edit: I got bored so I took my own challenge and made my shuckle/mewtwo grass/water. And I redid my omadios to make it lookmore buggish. I'll post them later when I get on my computer.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I would say that being the shiny gloom guy is worse. Firus, onetime my friend bought a used emerald, and it came with all the shiny 3rd gen. Legendary Shinies. He gave me the shiny kyogre(a.k.a. Purple kyogre) but when I checked for it the other day it was 'stolen' from my box:(
has anyone seen shiny empoleon, cuz I would love to have/see one:)

Edit: I got bored so I took my own challenge and made my shuckle/mewtwo grass/water. And I redid my omadios to make it lookmore buggish. I'll post them later when I get on my computer.
Unless those shiny legendaries were hacked in, then what are the odds of getting a game with all of them? That's ludicrous. Aside from that, sorry about your loss. I remember back in 4th grade, I was playing Silver in school and some kid in 5th grade said that he would duplicate my Ho-oh for me.

Yeah, he released it. I had just caught it also.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the upgrades BK.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
huh what upgrade?I kinda laugh every time I see BK when referring to bowser king.
Your loss Spire, is probably just as bad or worse than mine.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
zrky said:
I would say that being the shiny gloom guy is worse. Firus, onetime my friend bought a used emerald, and it came with all the shiny 3rd gen. Legendary Shinies. He gave me the shiny kyogre(a.k.a. Purple kyogre) but when I checked for it the other day it was 'stolen' from my box
has anyone seen shiny empoleon, cuz I would love to have/see one

Really? I'll bet it was hacked. Still awesome, though.
When I got my Emerald version it was full of a ton of really rare Pokemon (every starter, almost every legendary...etc.) but I decided not to keep any of them because...well, I only vaguely remember, but I'm pretty sure their name was in some way racist, and their boxes were named really um...well, one was "Africans", let's just leave it at that. And it got worse. So I wasn't going to keep anything from them on principle.

As for Empoleon, I actually have a Shiny Piplup that I just haven't evolved yet. But if you just want to SEE Empoleon, then;

Unless those shiny legendaries were hacked in, then what are the odds of getting a game with all of them? That's ludicrous. Aside from that, sorry about your loss. I remember back in 4th grade, I was playing Silver in school and some kid in 5th grade said that he would duplicate my Ho-oh for me.

Yeah, he released it. I had just caught it also.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the upgrades BK.
Ah man, that sucks. It's too bad, because the duplicating trick in Gold/Silver isn't even that complex. Put the Pokemon in a box, save, then move it to another box, then I believe you try to switch to another box and while it's saving and says "SAVING...DON'T TURN OFF THE POWER" turn it off.

I actually tragically lost my Raikou (before I deleted my entire game). It's too bad, too, because it was my favorite of the three dogs/cats/potatoes (seriously, has that debate ever been settled?). I was doing some duplicating stuff and also just rearranging my boxes. When I got done, I couldn't find him. I think I did a reverse duplication. In other words, deleted him because I screwed with the saving.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Really? I'll bet it was hacked. Still awesome, though.
When I got my Emerald version it was full of a ton of really rare Pokemon (every starter, almost every legendary...etc.) but I decided not to keep any of them because...well, I only vaguely remember, but I'm pretty sure their name was in some way racist, and their boxes were named really um...well, one was "Africans", let's just leave it at that. And it got worse. So I wasn't going to keep anything from them on principle.

As for Empoleon, I actually have a Shiny Piplup that I just haven't evolved yet. But if you just want to SEE Empoleon, then;

Ah man, that sucks. It's too bad, because the duplicating trick in Gold/Silver isn't even that complex. Put the Pokemon in a box, save, then move it to another box, then I believe you try to switch to another box and while it's saving and says "SAVING...DON'T TURN OFF THE POWER" turn it off.

I actually tragically lost my Raikou (before I deleted my entire game). It's too bad, too, because it was my favorite of the three dogs/cats/potatoes (seriously, has that debate ever been settled?). I was doing some duplicating stuff and also just rearranging my boxes. When I got done, I couldn't find him. I think I did a reverse duplication. In other words, deleted him because I screwed with the saving.
How did you get the shiny piplup, if you get another can you trade?

So that's how duplicating works, il have to try that. I never knew how it worked.
Sorry about your raikou, he's also my favorite:)
looks like we have all had some tragic thing happen in our games, especially majora

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
How did you get the shiny piplup, if you get another can you trade?

So that's how duplicating works, il have to try that. I never knew how it worked.
Sorry about your raikou, he's also my favorite:)
looks like we have all had some tragic thing happen in our games, especially majora
Uh...yeah, I traded. Kind of cheap, but hey, I wanted a shiny Piplup.
As for getting another, if you want, I can duplicate it for you.

Yeah, we've all had some pretty tragic things. My poor Gold version...and my original Ruby Team...and my original Red game (I beat it once, accidentally erased the file, and then restarted and that's the file I have now). Yeah, I've had some pretty bad luck with Pokemon games.

Oh yeah, Meta-Kirby; about that request, does the "something else" mean any other Pokemon?

M.K

Level 55
@zrky and Firus, there is a cloning glitch in Diamond/Pearl that can make a duplicate Shiny Piplup if you REALLY want one!

http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=209226
^Follow link and directions!

Also, I'm taking off AGAIN :( :( :( This time, Michigan and Diving Competition/Camp! I leave at 8:40 tomorrow morning, and I come back Next Thrusday (not the one tomorrow, but the one in the next week). I guess I'm on temp-hiatus, but then again, maybe not! Good luck everyone, and keep up the awesome work.
I officially nominate the amazing stupendous zrky to take my place until I return. Don't disappoint me young grasshopper!

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Uh...yeah, I traded. Kind of cheap, but hey, I wanted a shiny Piplup.
As for getting another, if you want, I can duplicate it for you.

Yeah, we've all had some pretty tragic things. My poor Gold version...and my original Ruby Team...and my original Red game (I beat it once, accidentally erased the file, and then restarted and that's the file I have now). Yeah, I've had some pretty bad luck with Pokemon games.

Shure, Piplup is my favorite starter, and also Empoleon seems to have the best stats out of all the water starters:) I can give you any legendary from the 4thgen.:)
@zrky and Firus, there is a cloning glitch in Diamond/Pearl that can make a duplicate Shiny Piplup if you REALLY want one!

Also, I'm taking off AGAIN :( :( :( This time, Michigan and Diving Competition/Camp! I leave at 8:40 tomorrow morning, and I come back Next Thrusday (not the one tomorrow, but the one in the next week). I guess I'm on temp-hiatus, but then again, maybe not! Good luck everyone, and keep up the awesome work.
I officially nominate the amazing stupendous zrky to take my place until I return. Don't disappoint me young grasshopper!
I feel honored:laugh:(*whisper*if only firus would allow at least two requests*whisper*) or Ill do the ones my friend ask me to do and see what you guys think.

So, Im going to take a wild guess and say your a diver. Am I right:)

Oh yea, no one forget I got dibbs on post 1999 or 1993

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Yeah, the GTS trick, right? That's what I'll do since zrky wants one.

Oh well. Well have fun, and good luck!

Shure, Piplup is my favorite starter, and also Empoleon seems to have the best stats out of all the water starters:) I can give you any legendary from the 4thgen.:)

I feel honored:laugh:(*whisper*if only firus would allow at least two requests*whisper*) or Ill do the ones my friend ask me to do and see what you guys think.

So, Im going to take a wild guess and say your a diver. Am I right:)

Oh yea, no one forget I got dibbs on post 1999 or 1993
As for in return, don't worry about it. I'll be glad to give it to you free of charge.

I may allow a few requests, but whatever they are, you're going to have to do them. As long as you're okay with that, I'll allow a few. And ONLY A FEW. Don't go overboard. Like, keep it to a max of 4, please.

I get dibs on post 1996. If you don't know why, you shouldn't be in this thread.

WOAH. I just realized, it's only been about 15 days since we had 1000 posts and we're already at 1500, almost 1600! Sheesh.

majora_787

Smash Hero
<_< Sadly I actually know people who would give boxes those kinds of names. Eh -_- When I traded him for a mudkip it was named...uhhmm...something you wouldn't say to a fellow human being. =|

._. Currently on my ruby version I have every third generation pokemon plus a shiny Corphish. I plan on finishing my collection by finding someone who has fire red and leaf green.

And before you ask about the deoxys and jirachi, I traded for those like I traded for kyogre lunatone anorith and all of those guys.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Does anybody else think shiny Groudon looks like it'll vomit?
So does the original, but the shiny one makes it even worse with that colour. He probally got a hangover from the great night with Kyogre.

Lol, that actually reminds me of a report I watched at Fox Kids when Pokémon Stadium 64 was just released. There was a tournament for little kids, organised by Fox Kids, to bring their cartride of R/B/Y, put it in the N64 and play against your opponent. There was one little guy from about 7 I think who was crying in front of the camera because someone stole his Yellow cartridge that was in the N64 while he went to the bathroom.

Probally one of the most touching things I've ever seen. Pokémon can really traumatize you.
<_< Sadly I actually know people who would give boxes those kinds of names. Eh -_- When I traded him for a mudkip it was named...uhhmm...something you wouldn't say to a fellow human being. =|
Yeah, I hate that kind of childish jokes. It's like when I was playing Animal Crossing on my DS and the faceless cat came by (I forgot her name for a moment). The thing is that you can draw her a face whatever you like. Then the next time you will go online, somebody will get that cat in her town. So I got a cat with b00b$ drawn on it, I was so furious that I drew a huge devil on her face. I mean come on, how old are we again?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Yeah, the GTS trick, right? That's what I'll do since zrky wants one.

As for in return, don't worry about it. I'll be glad to give it to you free of charge.

I may allow a few requests, but whatever they are, you're going to have to do them. As long as you're okay with that, I'll allow a few. And ONLY A FEW. Don't go overboard. Like, keep it to a max of 4, please.

I get dibs on post 1996. If you don't know why, you shouldn't be in this thread.
I didn't know about the GTS trick:bee:
OK then ill give you (if you want) khangaskhan.

OK im fine with 4 requests, because I cant do custom like you so the gyarados evolution is out, and I requested the other two things.
1996 was the release date for the first Pokémon game. anyone know why I got 1993.

Top Bottom