• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Agh, sorry. I thought I uploaded it, I guess it didn't upload for some reason?

It's fixed now.

Ilex

Smash Ace
I look at Girapuff/ Jigglytina and it' really just a recolour + head swap with no creativity or originality involved at all. I mean, I know it seems hard to mix with Jiggs at first, but her plain body makes her an awesome base which you can custom stuff onto.

First of all, don't ever, please, do any more head swaps. They're as easy as using the move and eraser tool on paint, and 90%+ of they don't look good. The whole point of a mix is to combine elements of both sprites, and a head swap is really just all from one sprite instead of combining the two. You could've added Giratina's head piece onto Jigglypuff, cutely added Jiggly's eyes onto Giratina with a swirl too, anything. Tbh, a badly customed but creative head is preferable to one that's just copy and pasted with no creativity at all. I think I'm headed off on a rant here...but the point still remains. Try to explore nw methods like customing or trying out different bases instead of forcing a subpar mix to come out of a certain base. Pretty much, use the simpler sprite as a base so more stuff is easily added onto it. And lastly, try to incorporate as much as you can from one sprite to another. A head swap + recolour just looks... I don't want to say bad, but it's just not as appealing as any form of customing.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I look at Girapuff/ Jigglytina and it' really just a recolour + head swap with no creativity or originality involved at all. I mean, I know it seems hard to mix with Jiggs at first, but her plain body makes her an awesome base which you can custom stuff onto.

First of all, don't ever, please, do any more head swaps. They're as easy as using the move and eraser tool on paint, and 90%+ of they don't look good. The whole point of a mix is to combine elements of both sprites, and a head swap is really just all from one sprite instead of combining the two. You could've added Giratina's head piece onto Jigglypuff, cutely added Jiggly's eyes onto Giratina with a swirl too, anything. Tbh, a badly customed but creative head is preferable to one that's just copy and pasted with no creativity at all. I think I'm headed off on a rant here...but the point still remains. Try to explore nw methods like customing or trying out different bases instead of forcing a subpar mix to come out of a certain base. Pretty much, use the simpler sprite as a base so more stuff is easily added onto it. And lastly, try to incorporate as much as you can from one sprite to another. A head swap + recolour just looks... I don't want to say bad, but it's just not as appealing as any form of customing.
I may suck at trying to make fusions but I have to agree with Ilex. Also
lol at him.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Look, if you don't like how I do things, then fine--find someone else who will do 90% of the requests in the shop. I'm sure Spire could do a better job of everything that I do. But he's busy. Bowser's busy. Mewter and Meta-Kirby are on vacation. So even though I have a lot to do, I try to squeeze stuff in. Do I want to do most of the requests I end up doing? Would I rather do something else instead sometimes? Yes! But I started this shop and it's my duty to do most of the requests, because if I don't do them, NO ONE WILL. And I could very easily say "Who cares" but I try to be nice and help out.

I know Girapuff sucks, okay? I may not have much of a life, but I still have other things going on. So yeah, I might've rushed through it. Sorry to offend you. I know it's simple, but I wanted to go for a Giratina base so it's "Big scary creature with pretty pink colors". In such a case, there's not much more you can do since Jigglypuff is a HEAD with ARMS AND LEGS.

Don't even get me started on customing. I spent a couple of hours on this piece of crap.

If I were to custom it like you're so intent on, I'd probably spend about an hour on something that looks even worse! And I don't have time for that!

Constructive criticism I accept willingly. But when you criticize, it sounds like an insult and I take umbrage to that.
If you don't like my work, fine. I'll just stop making it.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Look, if you don't like how I do things, then fine--find someone else who will do 90% of the requests in the shop. I'm sure Spire could do a better job of everything that I do. But he's busy. Bowser's busy. Mewter and Meta-Kirby are on vacation. So even though I have a lot to do, I try to squeeze stuff in. Do I want to do most of the requests I end up doing? Would I rather do something else instead sometimes? Yes! But I started this shop and it's my duty to do most of the requests, because if I don't do them, NO ONE WILL. And I could very easily say "Who cares" but I try to be nice and help out.

I know Girapuff sucks, okay? I may not have much of a life, but I still have other things going on. So yeah, I might've rushed through it. Sorry to offend you. I know it's simple, but I wanted to go for a Giratina base so it's "Big scary creature with pretty pink colors". In such a case, there's not much more you can do since Jigglypuff is a HEAD with ARMS AND LEGS.

Don't even get me started on customing. I spent a couple of hours on this piece of crap.

If I were to custom it like you're so intent on, I'd probably spend about an hour on something that looks even worse! And I don't have time for that!

Constructive criticism I accept willingly. But when you criticize, it sounds like an insult and I take umbrage to that.
I agree, this time IMO is hardest for firus as he's done like 80% of the work. We just need to let this month pass by until we will really be able to do anything (as that is when 2 of our mems are returning. Im trying to sqeeze in atleast a fusion a day but with summer here, it seems close to impossible. We all have stuff to do outside making sprites.

Why dont we get more mems? Well, honestly it gets really hard to even find a fusion that were willing to do when all of the good ones (as in ones we enjoy) are taken. Now 5 mems IMO is the perfect amount. I look at the pending list and search new posts everyday but, im forced to take things I really feel are to hard or weird because everyone here is looking for the best request the can find.

Im not saying dont make goofy requests but critisising how they turn out is really annoying.
Comments on how to improve are fine but dont say stuff like it's over all bad.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Why dont we get more mems? Well, honestly it gets really hard to even find a fusion that were willing to do when all of the good ones (as in ones we enjoy) are taken. Now 5 mems IMO is the perfect amount. I look at the pending list and search new posts everyday but, im forced to take things I really feel are to hard or weird because everyone here is looking for the best request the can find.
I would help but I suck. I'm so bad I erased my work so nobody can see. Can one of you guys teach me in the way of custom pokemon?

P.S: I have to use Paint which probably bad to make these.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I would help but I suck. I'm so bad I erased my work so nobody can see. Can one of you guys teach me in the way of custom pokemon?

P.S: I have to use Paint which probably bad to make these.
Sorry but we have enough mems as it is.

As for using paint, I use it (I think im the only one who fully uses paint alone from everyone).

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Sorry but we have enough mems as it is.

As for using paint, I use it (I think im the only one who fully uses paint alone from everyone).
Yeah, as the OP says, our shop is full of members. Even though we're really overloaded sometimes, it's going to get out of control if we keep allowing members.

As for paint, you probably are the only one that uses only Paint. I only use Photoshop on occasion, though--for actually MAKING the fusion, Paint works fine once you know enough about it.

Mewter

Smash Master
I completely use paint for fusions.
I only use the other programs for transparent backgrounds....

Wrath`

Smash Master

you do have your own place don't you? You can go back there, we are fine and like Frius's work ,it is awesome and he does alot. Firt troll of the thread?

also Marill+ groudon is mad cool

XACE-K

Smash Master
Yeah, as the OP says, our shop is full of members. Even though we're really overloaded sometimes, it's going to get out of control if we keep allowing members.

As for paint, you probably are the only one that uses only Paint. I only use Photoshop on occasion, though--for actually MAKING the fusion, Paint works fine once you know enough about it.
Well bowser's post made it sound like having partial members because what if somebody goes on vacation.

you do have your own place don't you? You can go back there, we are fine and like Frius's work ,it is awesome and he does alot. Firt troll of the thread?

also Marill+ groudon is mad cool
Ilex does do custom pokemon, he has a thread in the arts part of SWF. Also it's Firus, but Frius unless you like calling him that.

Ilex

Smash Ace

Okay, I respect that you're trying to fill all the requests, but I'm not really talking about that.

I wasn't critisizing you, I was trying to help you improve. That's what I do, I don't insult people's spriting or put them down. I personally spend a few hours on each mix, but if you have different priorities such as making tons of mixes in just a few mins then I guess you aren't going to accept help since you just want to make as many as possible in a short amount of time.

About Jiggly being a bad Pokemon to mix with, it's actually one of the best. It's plain body allows you to add on so much stuff. You can consider Jigglypuff to be a doll without any clothes on (For lack of better analogy -_-), and you can pretty much add as much as you like onto her.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but I was really just trying to help.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, I respect that you're trying to fill all the requests, but I'm not really talking about that.

I wasn't critisizing you, I was trying to help you improve. That's what I do, I don't insult people's spriting or put them down. I personally spend a few hours on each mix, but if you have different priorities such as making tons of mixes in just a few mins then I guess you aren't going to accept help since you just want to make as many as possible in a short amount of time.

About Jiggly being a bad Pokemon to mix with, it's actually one of the best. It's plain body allows you to add on so much stuff. You can consider Jigglypuff to be a doll without any clothes on (For lack of better analogy -_-), and you can pretty much add as much as you like onto her.

"Trying" being the key word. You may have slipped advice into there as well, but it was full of insults. "No originality or creativity", "subpar"...that kind of stuff worked its way in there. No matter your intentions, it was insulting. I understand that you're big on customing, I'm not. I can't make custom anything for my life. Maybe that makes me a bad artist, maybe that makes me unsuitable for the shop. But that's the way I do things.

As for "not accepting help", it's not that I won't accept it. It's that I resent you calling what I do bad, unoriginal and simple when I don't have all of the time in the world. I can't afford to do everything perfectly, or requests will go even slower than they already do. If I could work at a more leisurely pace, I could put more time into it (although life still interferes). If you want requests to come at an almost stand-still, I'll be glad to put hours into every fusion. I take umbrage to you acting like I'm close-minded and won't "accept" help, which isn't exactly what you were giving. I'll accept constructive criticism. What you gave was not constructive.

As for Jigglypuff, you didn't read. I said I wanted to use Giratina as the base Pokemon. In that case, it IS HARD to use Jigglypuff. The other way around, maybe not. It's still small though. With two Pokemon of completely different sizes, it can be difficult, at least for someone who's not good enough to custom everything.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I went to see the Forest, they are good nicley done, but I feel like they lack the presence that these pokemon sprites have, the sprites here seem to feel like they could be implimented into the next game with ease, whiel your feel like they are just sprites, I am not trying to defend, but as a person I feel I shall put in my opinons.

Spire

III
BRoomer

First of all, I'm not going to quote the other post of yours, because I feel that it sort of carried over into this one, but I will be answering to both. Firus works so, so much harder than any of us. If you look at the first page, his post takes up half (that is an entire HALF) of the page, unlike bowser and my posts. Firus, despite what goes on in his life, makes as much time as possible for the customers of this shop. His work may not suit you, but as far as I know, it suits those that request it. It can get really trying around here when requests are flooding and overwhelming us. Usually, it's intimidating, but who tackles 90% of them? Firus. He cuts time from his life to fulfill the needs of others. Firus is a great person, and a wonderful person to work with. I would not have this shop without him.

"Trying" being the key word. You may have slipped advice into there as well, but it was full of insults. "No originality or creativity", "subpar"...that kind of stuff worked its way in there. No matter your intentions, it was insulting. I understand that you're big on customing, I'm not. I can't make custom anything for my life. Maybe that makes me a bad artist, maybe that makes me unsuitable for the shop. But that's the way I do things.

As for "not accepting help", it's not that I won't accept it. It's that I resent you calling what I do bad, unoriginal and simple when I don't have all of the time in the world. I can't afford to do everything perfectly, or requests will go even slower than they already do. If I could work at a more leisurely pace, I could put more time into it (although life still interferes). If you want requests to come at an almost stand-still, I'll be glad to put hours into every fusion. I take umbrage to you acting like I'm close-minded and won't "accept" help, which isn't exactly what you were giving. I'll accept constructive criticism. What you gave was not constructive.

As for Jigglypuff, you didn't read. I said I wanted to use Giratina as the base Pokemon. In that case, it IS HARD to use Jigglypuff. The other way around, maybe not. It's still small though. With two Pokemon of completely different sizes, it can be difficult, at least for someone who's not good enough to custom everything.
I do not think your work is bad at all. There are a few fusions that I look at and question "why did he make it this way," but it then occurs to me that, OH! It'd be downright impossible to make it any better in this approach. Depending on the way you approach the fusion, deciding which parts of the Pokemon to incorporate with one another, the fusion can be either difficult or simple in development. Fusing Jigglypuff into Giratina can be a very troublesome task, and if I were to do the fusion, I think I would fuse them inversely, using Jiggs as the base, but because he chose (and publicly announced) that he would be doing it the way he did, I think that the outcome was substantial.

I'd like to work here. Here's what I can do.

Custom Trainers...

Front and back mixes...

Retyping...

Revamping...

And Pokemon Eggs.

More stuff can be found in my Photobucket account.
Look, your work is great, but if you had even read the page before, you would have seen that we are no longer accepting any more members, and have been that way since... page 43, 45, something like that. This shop is not about top-notch quality, but about the enjoyment of working together to fulfill the requests of others.

And on that note...

WE'RE ALL GOING ON HIATUS!

No more requests until we say so. The shop is closed for now.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wow. You guys close really easily. I haven't seen an art shop this disgustingly popular since Sugarpoultry.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Ilex, I think you were very hard on Firus, so why don't you try Jigglypuff/Giratina yourself, with Giratina as the body.

Paint(as said by Firus) is a very underestimated program, its acctually very good.

I know your probably going to say no, I dont want to be a full member, but could I help out while Mewter and Meta-Kirby are on vacation.

Spire

III
BRoomer
On a last note, zrky will be covering for us, fulfilling only the already pending requests and posting any of his own designs. No more requests, please.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
On a last note, zrky will be covering for us, fulfilling only the already pending requests and posting any of his own designs. No more requests, please.
I'm tempted to post the list of about 30 fusion ideas I have for you guys in that Microsoft Word document...

Ilex

Smash Ace
Had I known that you weren't putting your all into your sprites Firus then I wouldn't've said anything. I just assumed you were and I respect your hard work and time put into this. Post some of your best well thought out sprites and I'll be glad to constructively criticize you then 8D
Sorry I went hard on you.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Growlithe / Houndour cross.
Alakazam w/ Ditto face.
Fire type Kingdra.

That's all for now...
Don't you pay attention?

Jesus, people need to learn to read the posts that came up since they last posted. No more requests for now.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Don't you pay attention?

Jesus, people need to learn to read the posts that came up since they last posted. No more requests for now.
This all goes bak to people not looking at the OP and just posting on the last page of the thread.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Had I known that you weren't putting your all into your sprites Firus then I wouldn't've said anything. I just assumed you were and I respect your hard work and time put into this. Post some of your best well thought out sprites and I'll be glad to constructively criticize you then 8D
Sorry I went hard on you.
It's not that I'm not putting my all into my sprites. Normally I put a lot of hard work into my sprites; I'm not throwing a bunch of crap together. In this case, I rushed through it a little. I still don't think there's much I would change.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Firus, I think it would be a good idea (that I forgot to mention in the letter) that you edit the name of the shop (like I do to the official platnium thread) and include "shop closed" or "no more requests" or something.

Mewter

Smash Master
I'd like to work here. Here's what I can do.

Custom Trainers...

Front and back mixes...

Retyping...

Revamping...

And Pokemon Eggs.

More stuff can be found in my Photobucket account.
Very nice.:)

But, as they said, "we're full!"
Sorry, but if we let too many in, the following would happen:
1)Free for all
2)Custom Pokemon Show-Off Club
3)With sprinkles and a cherry on top.

By the way, did you revamp that steelix just by recoloring it?Because a lot of revamps seem to be of that type.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Firus, I think it would be a good idea (that I forgot to mention in the letter) that you edit the name of the shop (like I do to the official platnium thread) and include "shop closed" or "no more requests" or something.
That's a good idea. I'll do that right away.

Top Bottom