• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please lock/delete

LLDL

Smash Hero
Please delete this event page, I messed up while testing the new tourney system, thanks.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I agree with this so much. Even if players do split the pot, they should play out the set for everyone to watch.

Since money won't be on the line (and they're friends), it'll be played like more of a friendly than a tournament set.

Geist

Smash Master
I think if people split for reason #2 it should be on their own time, like AFTER the set.
There's nothing worse than a GFs being nothing more than glorified screwing around.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
In the Midwest when people want to do this we make them play out the set for the right to claim their name as 1st place on the tourney results. And that's usually enough for them for play a semi-serious set.

Spit-wad

Smash Cadet
**** splitting. The match should be played as normal. If the two players have a deal between themselves, then there's nothing we can do about it, but they should be forced to play the match, and obvious screwing around should be frowned upon. Everything that's professional has winners and losers. Play the **** tournament like a professional.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If they DO play the set anyway, the winner might suddenly decide he doesn't want to split anyway.
This probably won't happen....

People who generally split are good friends so the chances of one of them changing the deal like that is just silly.

In the Midwest when people want to do this we make them play out the set for the right to claim their name as 1st place on the tourney results. And that's usually enough for them for play a semi-serious set.
I think this is fairly reasonable. Thats what me and Eggm did once.

It won't give you a high stake set but really what can you do? As a TO you really have no power over splits.

Lovage

Smash Hero
a couple times i've split at socal tournaments we do a moneymatch for 5 dollars or so so it still feels like grand finals but we're splitting most of the money.

at the oxnard ranbats whenever i split with someone we play it out for who gets more points in the season

yeah...i can forsee an "soft" rule by TO's in the near future. or at least some kind of incentive.
Maybe for anything bigger than a local event. At locals, it can be the same 2 players placing top 2 every time which does get stale fast.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
impossible to enforce. the easiest way to prevent this is to give checks for prizes.

D

Deleted member

when you enter the tournament, you pay your entry fee for your shot to win the pot. no one owes you anything after you get knocked out. if players want to split, it's their choice for having the talent to get to that option in the first place. if you want to stop splits, be better and knock those players out of the bracket and then they can't do it anymore.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
but what if everyone is talented and they all agree to a split an no matches even happens? people just show up, pay, get what they payed, then bounce. sounds like fun to me!!!

LLDL

Smash Hero
I don't think I ever said anything about enforcing. I think I clearly asked a question to the players at hand, if they could play the match.

Life

Smash Hero
I'd be fine with prize splitting personally, but with the catch that they have to MM each other on the spot if they choose to do so.

D

Deleted member

but what if everyone is talented and they all agree to a split an no matches even happens? people just show up, pay, get what they payed, then bounce. sounds like fun to me!!!
then no one has economic incentive to attend and tournament never happens anyway? at least attempt to make sense.

D

Deleted member

You don't know who's going to be there until you're there =)
why would it matter? the asymmetric information alone takes away any economic incentive to attend. even with perfect information, it wouldn't be worth the gas money. at least think out your hypothetical situations.

Brookman

Smash Hero
ya i hate this, god**** chillin chudat make every tournament so anti climatic
Ya, maybe you should not be such a scrub and make it to the finals.

Chu and Chillin go way back. They are just making easy money off scrubs.\

edit: oh! Hey Mow.

Top Bottom