• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

King~

Smash Champion
vs marth spotdodge and shield come into play alot

if you can bait f-smash thats like a free downsmash aslong as u didnt shield the tip(pushes you back to far).

DB is easily shield grab from my expriences(usually they stop using it around 2-3 stock)

if they end up just sitting there fairing i suggest you watch for a few and see if u can make it under him to downsmash,uptilt,etc. if there trying to camp with fairs just sit back and spam t-jolt till they give up on that nonsense.

off the stage u should pretty much know his trajectory with his up-b, so get a thunder out there for damage, and and take the edge when u can.

becareful that your not just running up and shielding alot cause they will grab you and if u mess up DI'ing u might get hit with something stupid.

overall grabs and tilts are your friends attack wise, i advise aginst rolling but it can get u out of a tough situation occasionally(like if your shield is close to being broken by DB). Dair can useful occasionaly for mix up purposes, if your obvious off course you will be punished. nair oos occasionally works for getting marth off the stage.

i saw recently that some marths will like(i think its f-throw where he like throws u to his hip and you fly foward?) off the stage, and wait for you to airdodge or go beneath the stage and run out and dair you(ok so i watched this happened last weekend in a friendly between anther and omegaXF). your always going to wanna be unpredictable with your recoveris cause if marths cantch on to your trajectory, or where your landing constantly you ill get punished hard. and marths with good off the stage game is gay, jus sayin.

idk why i just wrote that much, i guess its cause ive played it so much, and remeber t-jolt when your at a distance, he has no projectile

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Honestly, just tjolt a bunch if he's being defensive. Like everyone else said, Marth has no projectile and no good can come from him just standing there and having to avoid projectiles. He'll do something eventually.

Now, if you're like me and love to be the aggessor, you could try something that usually works for me, although it can get quite predictable and probably isn't good practice. I sometimes will QAC perpendicular directly behind Marth and do an uair. Unfortunately, if you do this too much, you will be eating an usmash.

Don't forget to space properly when playing defensively against Marth. I recommend dtilts and fsmashes. Also, do lots of shield grabbing because Marths tend to be very cocky against Pikachus and will approach only to attack your shield a lot.

gallax

Smash Hero
i was playing my friends marth today and i noticed that he loves to do a lot of rolling. so what i started doing was just jumping towards him and then jumping back with a ff fair when he started to roll behind me. mindgamsed him. lol. try doing some jumping towards and then backing off at him and see what his reactions are. bait.

K 2

Smash Lord
Marth doesn't really have a problem with tjolt camping. He can simply powershield it or just jab the tjolt to cancel it. The timing on jabbing the tjolt is not strict at all. If marth has the lead, he will have no reason to approach.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I know, and he often does get a lead at some time in the match. I just need a way to get past that broken sword! How do you guys approach a defensive marth?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
i was playing my friends marth today and i noticed that he loves to do a lot of rolling. so what i started doing was just jumping towards him and then jumping back with a ff fair when he started to roll behind me. mindgamsed him. lol. try doing some jumping towards and then backing off at him and see what his reactions are. bait.
If you're really sure of yourself, though, try using Thunder instead of a retreating Fair. :D

King~

Smash Champion
I know, and he often does get a lead at some time in the match. I just need a way to get past that broken sword! How do you guys approach a defensive marth?

i appraoch with shields and powershieds and spotdodges(no wai)

if you are going to approach a marth you have to be ready to block or evade whatever attack he gets ready to throw out.

and remeber alot of his ground moves have punishable lag or can be shield grabbed(ie:downtilt if your close enough to p.shield and grab)

but dun get obvious grabs hurt!!

gallax

Smash Hero
If you're really sure of yourself, though, try using Thunder instead of a retreating Fair. :D
you have to have perfect timing to pull this off though.

playing a defensive mart when they have the lead is annoying. approach with a tjolt from above and try to work your way from there. also try to get his mind off of playing defensive. talk trash or somethin.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Showing anther isn't a good way to answer questions. He is vastly better than his opponents, and most pikachus will not have that luxury. If he played a marth on his level...if there are any, then we would really see how pikachu is supposed to play against marth.

Anther

Smash Champion
I played against Neo and Pierce7d, and I know they're both really good. Matchup inexperience played a lot on their confidence in playing the matchup, though the way marth should play vs pika is very quick to figure out... and.. my matches vs Piece were very close, it was a hard but funnish matchup imo since neither char could overly gay the other. Once you get marth in the air or off stage things can get really ugly for him if your edgeguarding is spot on.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
You're right. I need to send him off the ledge more. Marth might have good airials, but I'll eat 30% to gimp him. Lately I've had more success in making him approach. You guys have helped a lot, thanks!

gallax

Smash Hero
no problem. best edgegaurding tools against marth are your thunder and nair. you ca use your thunder to go below the stage and throw off his timing and grab the ledge to force him to either recover above you and directly on the stage or he will die. but be sure that you have invincibility frames when he uses his dolphin slash or he will stage spike you. that is the one thing about edge guarding marth. his upb stage spikes awesomely.

if you can get the marth to recover aobve you on the stage then ledge hop into a fair or nair him. marth has serious landing lag from his DS when he doesnt grab the ledge.

Masky

Smash Master
Yesterday I thundered someone and grabbed them as soon as they were hit by the thunder... how is this possible??? (I have a replay)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Masky, its the same way thunair is possible. I think their stun-time is more frames than it takes for your thunder to end and then grab them.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
lol the thungrab. post that shiz, it would be the first time someone got that on vid. i only did it once a while back. there are a couple ways it could happen, if you post it i could explain why.

EDIT: **** you ESAM. yes what he said masky :p

gallax

Smash Hero
hahahah. that would be the most epic tihng ever. thunder(bi*ch)>i think im gonna grab you(bi*ch)>now i think im gonna cg you to your death(BIAT*H!!!)>pikas downtaunt

Zylar

Smash Ace
Hehe, I can imagine it now.
First stock ->thungrab > DThrow death combo.
Second stock -> ESAM's footstool combo > jab lock combo > kill.
Third stock -> thunair > taunt

^ Best pika match in history. :D (Although, man, that'd be hard.)

gallax

Smash Hero
remember that m2k will know to DI footstool out of it cuz he somehow knows everything about everything. m2k is just too good with MK. and we cant 0-kill MK.

gallax

Smash Hero
hhaha. what?!!!! no noe ever went pika on him cuz he used MK. lol. wow. thats so funny. i cant believe he didnt know how to DI! out of the dsmash.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
M2K never DI'd out of my dsmash when i played him either (long long long time ago but he still didn't)... he doesn't know Pikachu one bit.

gallax

Smash Hero
that makes me so happy. i want to play m2k now and beat him. 0_0 aight people. i need MK training.

edit* your post now makes me sad klo

MonkE67

Smash Cadet
Something really wierd happened to me a few days ago. I was playing on FD and I was off the right side of the stage, under it a bit. I was trying to recover, but I messed up and ended up QAing into the curvy part. I only ended up using the first part of QA for that. But for some reason I didn't get helpless afterwards, so I was able to use QA again and recover. I think I may have tried to wall jump or something after QAing into the wall. I've tried to do this again, but without success. Also, this was online, so I don't have a replay. And I saw the other thread about the wierd QA incident, but this isn't like that. I was nowhere near the ledge after the first QA.:ohwell:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sometimes doing QA into the wall saves you, its uncontrollable.

SOMEONE PUT THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION ON THE FIRST POST! That question gets asked 18 billion times.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I agree with Ussi.... this question should go in the FAQ.

But yeah, like he said, it's a weird glitch that only happens on FD. If you QA into the wall (or anywhere near it, really), sometimes it'll give you your recovery back. Happens randomly, and no, it wasn't a wall jump.

gallax

Smash Hero
it happens with marth and wolf sometimes actually too. its a common thing for the recovery to mess up and get another recovery.

Top Bottom