• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
All right, I'm fairly new to Pikachu, probably being about 4-7 days into learning Pika. I have a few questions.

Does Pikachu have a move that will lock people into corners like a D-Tilt or Shine lock on the wall near Corneria, Delfino, etc?

I've done it before by accident, but you can quickly grab the edge by QAC from the stage, like say you on the stage and you QA towards the ledge, would you say that is something I should learn?

These are just 2 questions I can think of right now. If you could answer these it would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
1st question:

Yes, d-tilt locks, but pikachu has to be a certain distance away, and its not infinite. However, if you get them in a jab lock against the wall they can't get out.

2nd Question:

It's not 100% necessary, but its good to learn if you need a quick ledgehog.

Roller

Smash Legend
2nd Question:

I agree with ESAM. Often a simple dash to the edge is quick enough (and has no risk), however it is not difficult to learn the QA to ledge trick. Just make sure you let go of the analog stick quickly so you don't overshoot the edge.

Sk8TR

Smash Rookie
ok im new also
pika has been my 2nd main(marth being first)
pika has been my 2nd main for about a mouth or so
and i tend to use him like marth
(f-air f-air etc.)
i also use dsmash alot
and i also just the regualr b move regularly
but im trying to learn how to QAC
i can already but all i can do is QAC to down air
help?
any advice that i may use to become better at pika?
thanks

*SK8TR*

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
QAC is when in between when the QA ends and your landing lag begins, you have a little bit of time to perform a jump. Basically, QA to the ground, and just practice the timing. Once you get it, it will be much easier to get it.

Also, look at stickies for the "how to make my pika better" question.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
1st question:

Yes, d-tilt locks, but pikachu has to be a certain distance away, and its not infinite. However, if you get them in a jab lock against the wall they can't get out.

2nd Question:

Thanks ESAM, it was appreciated. I was playing a CPU Fox on Delfino and i got to one of the walls where you can lock, and i was using D-Tilt, and it seemed to work, but I didn't know since it was just a computer if it worked or not, so you'd suggest using jab instead though?

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I have one question
is the pikachu in brawl the pichu that was in melee?
Because this pikachu can perform volt tackle and pikachu cannot learn volt tackle as a pikachu and must learn it as a pichu
also this pikachu has the blue goggles just like pichu had in melee
so did pichu in melee evolve?
what happened to melees pikachu?

gallax

Smash Hero
the real pikachu ate pichu and then we took what we wanted from our prey. in other words, we are the one and only pikachu.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Once you get it, it will be much easier to get it.
I lol'd. <3 ESAM.

i like galax's version FAR better then the stupid pichu evolved one lol
Just because your Pichu never loved you enough to evolve doesn't mean you have to take your bitterness out on the rest of us.... =X

Pichu evolved. I'm sorry, it's the truth. :( *patpat*

Brawl Pika =/= that super-a** Melee Pika.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yours may have evolved, but mine and galax's came straight from melee pika, with more smash exp then pichu. everyone else plays like pichu, and we play like pikachu. so its ok. if you believe that you are just dragging down your game ;)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So that pikachu must be old cuz both your pika's suck. Mine and kaylo's are where its at son!!

Lol. Anybody else got a question?

King~

Smash Champion
depends on the type of pika you play

i try to play really gay and campy so stages like:

yoshi island(pipes)
norfair
corneria
Pokemon stadium: melee
etc..(stages that encourage camping basically)

for the more aggressive types i hear:

corneria(close sides, but this works both ways. its a good pika stage in general)
PS:M(same as above)
delfino
brinstar has worked for me when i needed to be aggresive

on the grand scale of things you need to play on stages your good at. but take into account things that may help you win the match like ho the opponet is killing you(IE: off the top, and to the sides) how there playing, their recovery options, etc etc..

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
depends on the type of pika you play

i try to play really gay and campy so stages like:

yoshi island(pipes)
norfair
corneria
Pokemon stadium: melee
etc..(stages that encourage camping basically)

for the more aggressive types i hear:

corneria(close sides, but this works both ways. its a good pika stage in general)
PS:M(same as above)
delfino
brinstar has worked for me when i needed to be aggresive

on the grand scale of things you need to play on stages your good at. but take into account things that may help you win the match like ho the opponet is killing you(IE: off the top, and to the sides) how there playing, their recovery options, etc etc..
Thanks for the suggestions. I sometimes play Pikachu on Delfino, and my play style is a sorta mix of campy and aggresive. There are some games or parts of a game I will go out aggresive, and the other games or parts of a game I will play a little slower paced and camp more often. So I guess I should try all those stages xD. Thanks again.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Corneria is heaven for campy Pika unless you're playing against certain characters.... i.e., absorbers, reflectors, and a few other characters (like Olimar, imo).

But my favorite place to take people is NORFAIIIIR!!! Uair is too good here, and all the ledges/platforms are perfect for QA shenanigans. Just don't take super spikers here.

Check the Stage Discussion thread also: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211090
All the stages aren't done, but a good number of them are.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Alright, my turn. How in the world do you counter-space marth? I keep getting out-ranged, out-damaged, and out-played!

gallax

Smash Hero
first of all, fsmash more. even if it doesnt hit them. the best thing to do is to approach them from above and airdodge through them. from there you can utilt or dsmash or sh uair them. tjolt more. try to force a fsmash out of them.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I see. Is there anything I can use to beat out that broken U-smash? And how do I keep it from killing me through the platforms?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
first of all, fsmash more. even if it doesnt hit them. the best thing to do is to approach them from above and airdodge through them. from there you can utilt or dsmash or sh uair them. tjolt more. try to force a fsmash out of them.
I agree. Tjolt and fsmash. No matter what, it's gonna be a ***** of a match, so just keep your eyes open for chances to punish him and get as much damage on him as you can before escaping back out of his range. Learn when to shield Dancing Blades, and punishing him will be a lot easier.

I kind of like playing against Marth with Pika, lol. It's dangerous, but it's fun. :p (Then they realize the only moves they need are fair, fsmash, & DB..........)

gallax

Smash Hero
lol. his usmash is very easy to beat. as long as you are above him be ready to airdodge. never be above him on a platform. if you do get above him on a plat, do not stay still. it does sound like you are a bit too predictable coming from the air if you keep getting hit by the usmash. try qac more when getting back onto the ground from recovering.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Okay. What about marth's dancing blade? I keep getting punished by it when I try to use f-air to approach. What's the preferred way to punish it after I shield the combo?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Okay. What about marth's dancing blade? I keep getting punished by it when I try to use f-air to approach. What's the preferred way to punish it after I shield the combo?
I usually grab. I can't remember how far it pushes you, but I'm assuming that if I grab, it can't be too far, lol.

If he's in kill range, nair out of shield.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
lol. his usmash is very easy to beat. as long as you are above him be ready to airdodge. never be above him on a platform. if you do get above him on a plat, do not stay still. it does sound like you are a bit too predictable coming from the air if you keep getting hit by the usmash. try qac more when getting back onto the ground from recovering.
I'm having trouble approaching in general. If I use f-air/b-air, I eat a dancing blade almost half the time. If double-jump to avoid the blade, my opponent simply resets the position or gets ready to U-smash. If I go in higher to begin with, I need to retreat to avoid the U-smash. (Swords are broken. Period.) I know what my opponent will do, just not how to beat it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm having trouble approaching in general. If I use f-air/b-air, I eat a dancing blade almost half the time. If double-jump to avoid the blade, my opponent simply resets the position or gets ready to U-smash. If I go in higher to begin with, I need to retreat to avoid the U-smash. (Swords are broken. Period.) I know what my opponent will do, just not how to beat it.
You don't really need to approach Marth. =O

Tjolt him. He'll come to you eventually, or at least do something you can capitalize on.

gallax

Smash Hero
if he is predicting your fairs then i recommend you fairing behind him. never FFfair in front of them unless you got them from trying to shield poke them and have succeeded in hitting them. shield the dancing blades.

also, if you get the timing down and see that the timing between the first and second hit of the dancing blade is a little slow(by that i mean that the user is inputting it slower) then you can shieldgrab them. but thats only sometimes. most of the time you have to shield and near the end of shielding you can spotdodge and punish...as long as they dont use the down b combo of the dancing blades.

edit* do not approach marth unless you need to. let him approach. if it gets to the point where he wont do anything, just keep tjolting him. then, get close enough to tjolt from above, but NEVER approach. let him.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
if he is predicting your fairs then i recommend you fairing behind him. never FFfair in front of them unless you got them from trying to shield poke them and have succeeded in hitting them. shield the dancing blades.

also, if you get the timing down and see that the timing between the first and second hit of the dancing blade is a little slow(by that i mean that the user is inputting it slower) then you can shieldgrab them. but thats only sometimes. most of the time you have to shield and near the end of shielding you can spotdodge and punish...as long as they dont use the down b combo of the dancing blades.

edit* do not approach marth unless you need to. let him approach. if it gets to the point where he wont do anything, just keep tjolting him. then, get close enough to tjolt from above, but NEVER approach. let him.
I guess that's my problem. I play aggressive to the extreme. It's a pity I can't approach in this matchup. Good thing Pika has a projectile! Thanks all for your help.:)

Top Bottom