• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I've been wondering when it was gonna get locked. Its like the most active clan thread on SWF too looool

BTW you need to edit all the links in the group. Put the XAT link back on there D:

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yes i know. give me time lol. bookmark it like me ;o

ANYONE WHO READS THIS! click my name and join the high voltage clan social group. the thread getting closed doesnt bug me too much, but the social groups lack bbc code, and hence pictures and built in links. so yeah go join! there are TOO MANY PEOPLE for me to invite. this will also tell me who is interested in the clan. spread the word where you can. after a month, ANYONE not in the social group gets deleted from the clan. no matter who they are, minus mods.

gallax

Smash Hero
hey stealth i wouldnt mind be a mod or testing people. having more mods and needing more plus's might be a good thing.

what would everyone think about a weekly tourney?

how about a tourney every two weeks?

another question. how many pikas in this community use the ff fair and land behind the oponent?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Needing more pluses?! Four is just fine imo, lol. It took me long enough to get those -- granted, I didn't try extra hard to track people down, but it's not easy making time to play four separate people, some of whom are rarely in the chat or on the boards or just plain available to play at "normal" hours.

A tourney every two weeks sounds good to me, but I don't how many participants you'd get that frequently.

I answered this in the chat, but just in case.... I try to use crossover FF fairs to land behind my opponents as much as I can, because smart players will shieldgrab your regular fairs nearly every time if you don't space them perfectly.

Landing behind them limits your options a little (you can't grab or dtilt out of it), especially at higher percentages when utilt combos aren't effective anymore; however, if you have fun annoying your opponent and tech chasing (two things I'm enjoying more and more), fair > dsmash is hella great. Fair > utilt > thunder harassment/kills is another good option. I've caught someone with fair > shield > nair OOS from behind before, but it was unplanned, and I doubt it would work consistently.

I probably wrote more than you wanted, but oh wellz, hehe. The key word is that I try, though.... I tend to mess up my spacing a lot when I attempt to land behind people..... i.e., landing in front of them by mistake or going too far behind them so I can't follow up with anything.... :(

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the problem with tourneys, is that other then our first tourney which was pwntastic, all the others have failed MISERABLY! people enter then forget. if you want ill start another one up next week. i will probably need to make a social group for it as i am sure a tourney thread will not be allowed.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I always try to land behind with a FF fair. I then utilt afterwards. Other times I RAR fair that way I can grab.

Zylar

Smash Ace
You can't to throw the item a little after you begin the roll. If you are dash tossing the item, then you can using c-stick too early. If you are rolling without throwing the item, you are using c-stick too late.
Thanks K 2.
This wasn't very hard to understand. (Except "You can't to throw" XD)
I've been rolling around like a maniac n00b when I play Diddys lately, trying to do this. Also, I was trying to throw using Z. Imma gonna try the C-stick now. Most likely that will kill two birds with one stone.
^^'

Although, I can't blame the mod for doing his job, nor complain about it being closed, I do agree with E. (I mean, all the spam in one place seems "efficient?" lol)

On topic? :

@Kaylo: More mods doesn't necessarily mean more +'s reqruied. (>.> <.< *crosses fingers*)

@Gallax: I think it will get low turnout. (And the date is crucial, not all ppl can attend in the same day.)

Also, I "forget" to FFF behind them, so I get grabbed often. Which causes me to rely on RARs. But yeah, I do remember to FFF behind them after I realized I got grabbed from a fair 5 times. >.<

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@Kaylo: More mods doesn't necessarily mean more +'s reqruied. (>.> <.< *crosses fingers*)
Well, I responding to what Gallax said about needing more +'s, that's all. I don't really care how many mods there are, lol.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Ah, well, still. I think one more mod but the same amount of +'s needed is good. If there are two more mods, then up the amount of +'s up one. I dunno, but I have a specific time frame of when I can get tested and play at all so it's very hard for me. >.>

K 2

Smash Lord
Stick with C-stick. Pikachu doesn't have too much application with wavebouncing, other than wavebounce thunder edgeguard, which can easily be accomplished with C-stick.

If you read the FAQ section in the OP, I answered your tap jump question. Its totally a matter of personal preference.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I use A-stick (tilts) because i never used it in melee, and i like not fast-falling my dairs. Also, it makes the pika-slide easier.

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
so i just picked up pikachu, and admittedly this happened to me on all of my other characters... (diddy, bowser, sonic, toon link, falco), but i cannot for the life of me approach a pit.. and i cant camp him either... its frustrating to say the least.

/rant on

Essentially what happens to me is this, i use jolts to try to distract him/bait a reflector and wait for a punish, this sometimes works but usually i dont have time for all that jazz simply because im working hard to avoid the arrows, to avoid these i try to get mid-distance and attack with QAC but alas his tilts come out too fast and i get punished, whether i approach with QAC, mind games, fast fall aerials, everything, and i mix them up, same story, i get blasted.

I just feel like the character is a fortress... i cant keep range because of the arrows, i can camp because of reflectors, and i cant approach because... i dont know! >.< maybe im just to predictable, but gah, just gah

/rant off

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
so i just picked up pikachu, and admittedly this happened to me on all of my other characters... (diddy, bowser, sonic, toon link, falco), but i cannot for the life of me approach a pit.. and i cant camp him either... its frustrating to say the least.

/rant on

Essentially what happens to me is this, i use jolts to try to distract him/bait a reflector and wait for a punish, this sometimes works but usually i dont have time for all that jazz simply because im working hard to avoid the arrows, to avoid these i try to get mid-distance and attack with QAC but alas his tilts come out too fast and i get punished, whether i approach with QAC, mind games, fast fall aerials, everything, and i mix them up, same story, i get blasted.

I just feel like the character is a fortress... i cant keep range because of the arrows, i can camp because of reflectors, and i cant approach because... i dont know! >.< maybe im just to predictable, but gah, just gah

/rant off
Pit is annoying, but the one piece of advice I can give you is this: learn to powershield. Approaching him will be a LOT easier when you can run/walk, powershield, run, powershield, then start comboing when you're up close.

Pit has slightly better range than Pikachu, and it can be a pain to fight him up close, but if you get better at predicting his moves and baiting/punishing, you'll come out on top. I don't know much about this matchup in particular, but from my limited experience, it seems to be 50/50ish. You just have to learn his moveset and patterns and work around them.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you.

Good luck!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pit's not that hard once you play him a bit. His bair will have a hard time hitting you while you're grounded but its still possible if they can aim that low. But you can easily avoid it since its a strict timing so you can always block since Pit has to use it at the last moment he can use it making it obvious to see. I'm not sure if Pika's fair will eat Pit's Glide attack like MK's but give it a shot for now lol.

mirror shield and angel ring shouldn't bother you unless you're using skull bash lol. Just be smart with your projectile. Make it that if he reflects it he's wide open to you now. If he does choose to reflect it, jump over him and fair his behind (literally) that way you hit through the shield/ring.

learn to DI his dthrow otherwise he'll always follow up with uair. Pit's not really a pain up close since you can out range his fsmash. His ftilt, slow, but has quite some good range to watch for, but easy to react to but don't let yourself get spaced into it.

Try not to stay under you're own thunder. Bait his reflector too to punish with uair depending on where he is.

Oh, make sure you read his arrow patterns. If you dash you got a 50% chance of avoiding it if he shoots straight. Otherwise it depends if he aims at you or not. Just PS the arrows, its not hard.

When Pit uses his Up B, chase him and try to hit him with either jolt, uair, or QA. Just don't get yourself killed without taking him with you at least. (not worth it if you are losing by a stock)

Thats basics of Pit vs Pikachu.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well you short hop (press the jump button and release it quickly) then after the apex (height) of your jump, press down on your analog stick to fastfall.

Veng

Smash Ace
i kno this sounds nooby..but how do you shff (short hop fast fall)
Do you know how to Short Hop? Basically just press the x or y button real quick and let go, it becomes a second nature after a while, just practice. Then at the top of your jump press down on the joy stick and you will fall fast.

So if you short hop, then forward air, then tap down you can set yourself up for a grab out of the short hop fast falled fair.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Depends. If you are getting punished for it, use it less. If you are ****** them with it, do it more.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Depends. If you are getting punished for it, use it less. If you are ****** them with it, do it more.
Good point. I always spam QAC at my opponent to see if they know how to react to it. If they can't punish me easily for it (which is usually the case) it tends to greatly improve my odds for winning any match.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
On the topic of QAC, any advice on how to use it effectively during a match? Whenever I try to do QAC into an arial, I seem to get hit out of it most of the time even though I don't use it a lot.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Greetings, fellow pokemanz! Nice to meet you all.:) I thought I'd try out Pikachu because he counters some characters my current mains/secondaries do not, QAC and Pikachu in general look like they have a lot of potential, and because of his general happy yellowness/yellow happiness. What are the important things I should keep in mind while trying to learn pika?

Veng

Smash Ace
learn to QAC in training mode ( offline ), Aerials out of QAC, thunderguard, thunair.

Tjolts are your friend watch anther and read the guide/watch 5ives video.

gallax

Smash Hero
i laugh everytime i see vengs sig. lol.

pika has such a broad range of playstyles though. personally, i am tuning my pika to use the fair and bair the most. the uair is freaking good but to me i like the bair a tad better. plus i LOVE to qac. im a maniac at it.

Veng

Smash Ace
Basically you thunder guard then nair right afterwards, if you land it = epic.

And pikas uair is my favorite attack, I actually never used it till stealth told me ;o

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
And pikas uair is my favorite attack, I actually never used it till stealth told me ;o
I remember when I first started using uair more..... it's pretty f'in great. My Pika's combo skills went up +10.

Top Bottom