• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

gallax

Smash Hero
gaw's bair is ridiculous. same as his fsmash.

when you shield his smashes you will moer than likely be pushed away from him. both his usmash and fsmash have a little lag after they are used so sometimes you can get a grab in. but if you are unlucky like me, then well he will spotdodge your grab and dsmash you. so if you would like to use a tjolt afterwards and follow it up with an attack, go right ahead. im gonna go look at some of my replays and see exactly what it is i do against gaw that may be of help.

as for diddy, i have no idea. ask boom. diddy is my achilles heel.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
as for diddy, i have no idea. ask boom. diddy is my achilles heel.
Ugh, same for me. I hate playing against Diddy.

The only advice I can give you, iRjOn, is try to stay in the air as much as possible (but be careful not to land on bananas) and keep the pressure on him close-range so that he can't pull naners without getting punished. Learn to glide toss and use his bananas against him.

If I could follow my own advice, that'd be fantastic. :(

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
you my friend are among the very few who believe that. the diddy boards call us a 70-30 matchup in their favor. i would call it between 60-40 and 65-45, but there is no doubt that diddys are very hard on pika.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Small. Fat. Adorable. I dunno, I'd be scared to fight Pika too. :(

(It's always the cute ones......)

Masky

Smash Master
you my friend are among the very few who believe that. the diddy boards call us a 70-30 matchup in their favor. i would call it between 60-40 and 65-45, but there is no doubt that diddys are very hard on pika.
I think they just have it as 70-30 because of the Ninjalink video vs some pikachu on Wifi :p

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
thats old, but even then, people like anther and pikapika have talked about how hard of a matchup it is. despite anthers win over AZ at MWCC, he was worried about the battle before hand. i dont think the matchup is 70-30 either, but regardless diddy does counter pika, almost a hard one. diddys attacks are fast, and pikas trip animation is BALLS. what pika really has over diddy is a superior glide toss. either way its a very hard matchup.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
A counter doesn't necessarily mean a highly disadvantageous matchup, it just means that the countered has to play 10x better than the opponent to win. Ratios lack in this sense, because you might have an advantage, but you will have to play smarter than your opponent.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I have to say... the match up is in Pika's disadvantage... Ike seriously has an easier time >_>;; (course FD I think it's worse for Ike than Pika but other than that, Ike's platform game > Pika's giving him a better edge)

Anther

Smash Champion
I like Pika vs Diddy on FD now. o.X.
You have to get really good with bananas and not resort to jolt spam if you ever want to get an advantage in the matchup x.x.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Wow I even got Anther to pop in lol.
:)
This is a nice little explaination.
Kinda...pika's trip animation sucks...use nanners.
Since he laggs on start up so much thats your best oppertunity or when he throws hmm good stuff.
I mostly play Diddy on FD like Anther I kinda like it.
:D

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Make more use out of it too with Nades(its better to drop imo), Bombs, and Turnips(?). I'm just glad Pika has a glide toss. XD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
nanners own Diddy's recovery too. I remember I finished off a diddy with a banana hitting him while he recovered.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
I see well guys thanx peeps lets see next match up...
Yoshi how does that one work out?

Oh and I'm asking these just cause I'm curious not cause i have trouble with them
the only one that gives me trouble is diddy lol

K 2

Smash Lord
How exactly do you do a glide toss?
I've tried and ended up messing myself over...
You can't to throw the item a little after you begin the roll. If you are dash tossing the item, then you can using c-stick too early. If you are rolling without throwing the item, you are using c-stick too late.

gallax

Smash Hero
You can't to throw the item a little after you begin the roll. If you are dash tossing the item, then you can using c-stick too early. If you are rolling without throwing the item, you are using c-stick too late.
if you wouldnt mind K2...re-write this. it makes sense to me cuz i know how to do it. but if i didnt, i could not follow what you said.

"you cant to throw the item..." = wtf?

explain what dash tossing is too just in case they dont know what that is too please. :)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
How do you play Pikachu defensively? After playing melee for 2 weeks I have been an all aggro Pikachu in brawl.

And angled up Ftilt is **** sexy as it killed DDD at 150% in the middle of Smashville.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Shieldgrab. Learn your OOS options (nair, SH dair, uair) for punishment. Lots of mindgames geared towards baiting.... and lots of projectile. Pikachu can tjolt-harass most characters into approaching or carefully QAC mindgame them into making a punishable mistake.

Basically, don't approach too much. Find ways to make the opponent come to you by camping (eww, but it works) or occasionally fake-approaching (empty short hops, retreating fairs, SH > airdodge behind them) to get a response.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Shieldgrab. Learn your OOS options (nair, SH dair, uair) for punishment. Lots of mindgames geared towards baiting.... and lots of projectile. Pikachu can tjolt-harass most characters into approaching or carefully QAC mindgame them into making a punishable mistake.

Basically, don't approach too much. Find ways to make the opponent come to you by camping (eww, but it works) or occasionally fake-approaching (empty short hops, retreating fairs, SH > airdodge behind them) to get a response.
Who are you telling how to play.. >_>;; I stick with fair > grab.. melee has made me too aggressive :(

I think the HD TV was being a hindrance too >_>;

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Just because I'm not a pro player doesn't mean I can't post my opinion..... calm yourself.

You asked how to play more defensively, and I answered. You don't have to take my advice.

Also, no johns. :)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Just because I'm not a pro player doesn't mean I can't post my opinion..... calm yourself.

You asked how to play more defensively, and I answered. You don't have to take my advice.

Also, no johns. :)
>_>; I shield grab already since I did that in melee. Just I was fighting a DDD So, I couldn't shield grab his stupid hammer.

Oh yea, Pika's utilt will cancel out DDD's Utilt lol.

(And the guy I was playing hates Ike now xD since I kept killing him with fsmash and spikes [both dtilt and dair] and he kept tripping into my sword)

stupid HD TV didn't let me QAC properly and I ended up getting grabbed out of QAC T_T and I kept going in the wrong direction since I was inputting my commands to fast :( (Hate HD)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I.... posted a lot more than just shieldgrabbing, but all righty. Wait for someone else's answer then?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Oh, All i do is shield grab OoS lol ^^;; I'll try aerials OoS. I bait aggressively anyways.

But you posted 4 things, Shield grab, OoS aerials, bait defensively, and camp. >_>; is 3 a lot? <_<; *shot*

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Since you can't read, I'll make it easy for you.

1. Shield grab more.
2. OOS aerials, including nair, SH dair, and uair
3. Forcing approaches/punishable reactions with tjolt and/or smart QAC use
4. Forcing approaches/punishable reactions with fake approaches, such as empty short hops, retreating fairs, and SH > airdodging behind the opponent

Including all of the examples I included, I count 9 things you can try. What do you want, an essay?

If so, I'll leave that to someone else. Jesus. I'm just trying to help you out.

K 2

Smash Lord
if you wouldnt mind K2...re-write this. it makes sense to me cuz i know how to do it. but if i didnt, i could not follow what you said.

"you cant to throw the item..." = wtf?

explain what dash tossing is too just in case they dont know what that is too please. :)
Sorry, I sometimes think of other stuff when I type, so it often gets mixed in. -.-

How's this?

In order to glide toss with pikachu, you throw the item a little after you begin the roll. You cancel the roll animation with a throwing animiation, while keeping the initial momentum of your roll. If you are dash tossing the item, then you can using c-stick too early. A dash toss is basically throwing an item while dashing. If you want to know what that looks like, go to training mode and try it out. If you are rolling without throwing the item, you are using c-stick too late. Using these two parameters as guidelines, you should be able to get the right timing with a little bit of practice.
How do you play Pikachu defensively? After playing melee for 2 weeks I have been an all aggro Pikachu in brawl.
Tjolt camp. QAC away when they approach. This works really well on stages like FD. They might be able to perfect shield the tjolt, but unless they have earplugs, they will eventually succumb to tjolt camping.

Personally, I prefer ledgecamping when I want to play defensively. If you want to know what I mean, watch Anther vs Lain (IC's). It's really gay, but it works.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Since you can't read, I'll make it easy for you.

1. Shield grab more.
2. OOS aerials, including nair, SH dair, and uair
3. Forcing approaches/punishable reactions with tjolt and/or smart QAC use
4. Forcing approaches/punishable reactions with fake approaches, such as empty short hops, retreating fairs, and SH > airdodging behind the opponent

Including all of the examples I included, I count 9 things you can try. What do you want, an essay?

If so, I'll leave that to someone else. Jesus. I'm just trying to help you out.
<_<;; **accepts advice**

an essay would be nice though ;o

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i thought i would answer a question that will pop up very soon. the high voltage clan thread was locked. currently making a social group. either that or get our own forums.

Top Bottom