• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've had it happen to me when I wasn't even that close to the edge/lip/whatever.

gallax

Smash Hero
...sounds weird.

i watched that vid that esam put up btw with him losing to the MK. but he lost after he qa above the stage and fell through. i would look at it with more intensity but it like freaks out the moment esam goes above the stage.

Meese

Smash Cadet
Question.
What is a buffered down throw?
How is it different from a regular throw?
How do u do it?

Zylar

Smash Ace
Buffering is inputing an action before your current action is done.
When you are "buffering the down throws" you're actually buffering the grabs.

So, first you get the first grab, in any way, then DThrow.
DThrow's last 10 frames is the window of time that you must press and let go grab, and you will regrab the opponent in the fastest possible time.

The throw isn't different, it's just getting the grab faster, so they don't escape.

____________________________________*input your regrab here*
_________________________________ ___v
Grab > start________________________|_____|Grab > w/e
Grab > DownThrowDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDTDT|

This pretty much works for everything else; buffering is not limited to grabbing.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
i have a question about buffering: is it always the same window available to buffer something like 10 frames or whatever? or does it vary per character, per move?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Um... i know it's somewhere posted already but I never saw it in the same form that clarified things for me.

About the lag from landing with QaC/Qa....
1) Is there a way to "prevent lag?"

2) If there isn't a way to prevent lag, I heard things about air-dodging or t-jolting to cover for the lag.

3) I heard airdodging doesn't help... or does it help with the lag?

4) I heard t-jolt lags on second attempt after t-jolting from a jumped QaC the first time..... does doing any other aerial cancel that lag on the second full hop?

5) If you airdodge to reduce lag, is it near the end of the airdodge or at the beginning?

6) Is it faster to just QaC into ground without jumping? What about doing this with a t-jolt.

Thanks... i hope this thread is the correct one to post this... thanks!

Sincerely
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, now not a fledgeling smashboards'er

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
how long is it
10 frames, I believe.

Um... i know it's somewhere posted already but I never saw it in the same form that clarified things for me.

About the lag from landing with QaC/Qa....
1) Is there a way to "prevent lag?"

2) If there isn't a way to prevent lag, I heard things about air-dodging or t-jolting to cover for the lag.

3) I heard airdodging doesn't help... or does it help with the lag?

4) I heard t-jolt lags on second attempt after t-jolting from a jumped QaC the first time..... does doing any other aerial cancel that lag on the second full hop?

5) If you airdodge to reduce lag, is it near the end of the airdodge or at the beginning?

6) Is it faster to just QaC into ground without jumping? What about doing this with a t-jolt.

Thanks... i hope this thread is the correct one to post this... thanks!

Sincerely
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, now not a fledgeling smashboards'er
1. No, not anything that's been discovered so far.

2. No, nothing but dair comes out in time, and since dair has worse lag than a QAC landing, it's not worth it.

3. No, the airdodge doesn't come out in time. Tested it in Debug Mode.

EDIT: 4. I think you're talking about the fact that QAC's landing lag carries over. If you jump out of QAC and do an aerial (or tjolt), you get that aerial or move's landing lag, not QAC's landing lag of 15 frames. However, the next time you jump and land normally, you'll get the 15 frames of landing lag from the QAC you jumped out of.

Example: You do 3 QAC > nairs in a row. Then you SH afterwards. When you land from the SH, you'll have 15 frames of landing lag from the first QAC. There's no way to get around this.

5. Doesn't work at all.

6. Faster than.... what? If you QAC into the ground and just land, you get 15 frames of landing lag. If you jump and do something, you get the "something"'s lag, but the next time you land normally, you'll get QAC's landing lag anyway..... there's no way around getting those 15 frames of lag at some point.

Also, tjolting out of QAC without jumping is great and all, but it's not worth the risk. If someone jumps over the jolt or powershields it, you're left wiiiide open.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
hey about the fact that you're saying there is no way of getting around the 15 landing lag frames at some point, what if you land on a ledge, would that count as landing w/o jumping? or would it carry over so that when you QAC w/o jump after you get off the ledge, then the lag gets applied?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
hey about the fact that you're saying there is no way of getting around the 15 landing lag frames at some point, what if you land on a ledge, would that count as landing w/o jumping? or would it carry over so that when you QAC w/o jump after you get off the ledge, then the lag gets applied?
Grabbing the ledge won't erase it. In fact, if you ledge hop, you'll still land with QAC's 15-frame lag.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
there is one way to reduce the lag from a qac landing. and that is to use a tjolt. it sounds odd, but it works. qac, jump, tjolt immediately and you land with little lag.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
so what you're saying is qac -> jump -> t-jolt has less landing lag than qac->jump -> land?

and kaylo, what if you don't ledge hop but roll or jump or something, do you still land with the extra lag? and, what if you can somehow edge cancel the qac, similar to how you could with attacks in melee, and still can in brawl i think, where you free fall afterward, does the lag go away then?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
it seems to be the only move that doesnt get lag added on. like i said try it your self. you dont even need to land with it, just tjolt immediately while jumping and you are good to go. and make sure that you turn to face them when you let it go lol

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
what do you mean lag added on? I was under the impression that if you just fall from a jump after qac'ing you get 15 frame lag. but if you do another move instead of falling, you get that moves lag (like dair), so then by doing t-jolt you get its lag instead of the 15 from qac? (which i'm assuming is less than 15 frames)

<--confuzzled

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Isn't the lag from a QAC the same as a lag from a regular jump?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
So does the QAC have it's own lag? even if all you do it jump out of it, or do nothing at all?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Now I'm confused, lol. But to answer your previous question, Piman, this is what I did:

Performed QAC > nair, but grabbed the ledge afterward instead of landing on the stage.

When I ledgehopped/ledge-jumped (whatever people call it) with no aerial: Got the QAC lag (15 frames).

When I ledgehopped with an aerial: Got the QAC lag.

When I ledge-rolled, then jumped: Got the QAC lag.

When I ledge attacked, then jumped: Got the QAC lag.

So basically, no, grabbing the ledge won't erase the QAC lag.

I dunno anything about what Stealth is talking about with tjolt eliminating the lag.... I'm not a QAC master, lol, but when I just tried it a few times, I couldn't get it to work. Maybe I misunderstood what he meant, though.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
i could be wrong. you were still getting lag? perhaps the tjolt lag was longer then 15 frames or whatever and i was mistaken.
I'm a little confused about what you were saying anyway, so I'm not sure. :dizzy: I'm about to go to dinner, though, so I don't have time to look into it now.... I'll try testing it more when I get back (unless someone else does in the meantime).

What exactly were you saying, though? If you tjolt out of QAC, the lag doesn't carry over? Or if you do a normal jump > tjolt after QAC'ing, it eliminates the lag you've "flagged" for yourself?

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
yeah if you jump out of a qac, but don't land, instead t-jolt, you get the t-jolt's lag (which is little to none, especially compared to qac jump lag) I think

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
ok watch when you QA. duing the parts where he stops, his hurtbox changes. if you pause you will see he has become pencil thin either vertically or horizontally. that antire thing is a hurtbox. thats why you kept getting hit.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yes the entire thing is a hurtbox. and when pika is squeezed out really thin during the still parts, that entire thing is a hurtbox. use qa, and pause in the middle or wathc carefully. there is a part where you are pencil thin, going vertically. he hit this position. one of the many reasons why qa is risky to use.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I think i know what stealth is meaning, and I heard anther/some1 else note this also....

I think the first one (t-jolt) has no lag but the second one does.... (like... you can full hop/QaC jump and t-jolt immediately for a t-jolt cancel with no lag and rush and grab and do other stuff after you land from t-jolting) but when you jump the second time after you've done the QaC and do t-jolt, it'll work, and it LOOKs just like the one before but you can no longer do stuff after you land.

It looks like a shorthopped t-jolt landing rather than a full hopped t-jolt landing is what I mean if you perform QaC>jump>t-jolt(autocancels>run)>full jump>t-jolt (nonautocancel>pika pauses for a lil bit). Regardless, now i think i know what to do....

1) If i QaC, mix it up with aerials and keep in mind the lag.
2) If i don't want lag, do one QaC>jump t-jolt> whatever else... but remember that my next full hop t-jolt will just not autocancel... so i just shorthop or use it without autocanceling which most pika's do anyway. Oppoenents can't tell the difference either way, and i'll be QaC'ing decently far away when doing t-jolts.
3) Do my QaC madness... QaC far away, and just do an empty jump to "flush out" the lag... lol.

Thanks for clarifying things you guys! It really helped. XD

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
pikachu players =3

instead of reading this thread im just gonna give you all a big hug :D

-HUUUUUUUG-

now your powers are mine >=]

(to stay on topic or on thread topic):
quick question:i mained pikchu for a few months and i liked it but i had problems KOing..
quick answer help :D?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
U-tilt/U-smash thunder is a pretty good way to kill. Predict air-dodges and charge F-smashes. Go off the level and nair them at like 110%.

K 2

Smash Lord
utilt thunder is really nice. It's so fast that your opponent often doesn't have time to DI away to avoid the thunder. I usually just kill with usmash. There's too much lag on it to chain it into a thunder.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well you just follow your opponent. And they are normally so high up you won't get punished for trying anyway.

SexTornado

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'm new to pika boards and I'm thinking of picking him up as a second main/secondary. This may sound noobish but what exactly do you have to do to buffer a grab/throw? I'm a jiggly main and jiggly never does this so idk how.

Top Bottom