• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pichu Vs Kirby

Which is stronger?

• Total voters

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Kind of honoring ICG's debate with the Kirby boards that helped spawn some of my fondest memories of him. So in his honor I shall Spawn once again the Pichu Vs Kirby Debate. In a nice poll form.

D

Deleted member

Why Kirby seems better is because Pichu takes a higher level of skill so he can avoid all the chain throws and takes a lot of smarts to avoid some stuff and Kirby can take more hits. However, once you know how to avoid the grabs as Pichu you won't get grabbed like nearly ever like Fox. Sheilds and CCs lose to Pichu's nair buffer roll, then Pichu has other options like jab, d-tilt, upairs/poivt grab on their sheild from behind. Really Pichu's running SH is extremely safe. DD camping as Pichu is much safer than anything Kirby can do camp-wise like WD away. D-tilt and bairs are much more predictable and have less options. In truth, Kirby has nothing over Pichu other that being easier to play as and some range.

Kirby's overall edge gaurd is par with Pichu because Kirby has no set-up for edge gaurd really. Take Pichu's b-throw at 0% what move can Kirby use at high levels to gimp like that? Mindgames aren't the answer and suck won't work if they unterstand how it works and you must assume that who you're playing knows the charcter as well as you do. So at 0% what move does kirby have that will get the off the stage and a great set-up for a gimp or kill? Simply put, he doesn't even spit out would work. Pichu is better at gimping period. When edge gaurding, Kirby's bair works just like pichu's bair/nair. There are very few disjointed recoveries so the range difference isn't important in like 92% of all cases. Pichu's jolt helps make up for lack of a more solid off stage disjointed air move beside fir but f-smash normally works.

Really the only thing Kirby has is dair. I know Kirby wishes his d-tilt hit low as pichu's. Besides for maybe a few match-ups kirby has nothing over Pichu. At high levels, Kirby won't be able to keep up due to speed problems, lack of pressure and solid punishment, unlike pichu.

Written by a friend.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I honestly think it is impossible to tell for the moment, so I voted "about the same".

Pichu needs someone to actually represent him in tournaments though, and until that I really can't comment on the issue.

Although... I guess I believe that Pichu is better at the highest achievable level of play, but we'll see.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Those videos reminded me, how do people feel about Pichu's pillaring game with Fair?

It deals 4% recoil (unless you cancel it by landing half-way through) every time you do it, which is one of the reasons I stopped using it, but does it have any merit?

soju

SD God
it makes them feel bad that your using a move that probably more damaging to you than them

also my opinion on the kirbyxpichu matchup;

Kirby is somewhat(alot) simpler to use then pichu because of his limited useful moves, which also gives him a lot fewer options. His ground game is probably better then pichu's due to basically all his tilts but they're all somewhat slower then they should be, grabs i believe dont even need to be mentioned(theyre garbage to me). In the air it all depends on the position, Kirby's bair is extremely dangerous for pichu but without that there's nothing noticeably good he can do compared to pichu. (IMO)Maneuverability is crap for kirby, slower dash, jumps, not as floaty as a floating ball should be. Now pichu, he's faster, (lil)smaller, and around the same weight as kirby. His tilts are faster but have a smaller range then kirby, grab game would be great if pichu's arms weren't stubs and if kirby wasn't a weird ball thing. Pichu's air game is a lot better then Kirby's, save for Kirby's Bair(and the occasional soccerplayer flip he does that ***** you good) which is his main killing move against Pichu, other then that and his hilarious nair thats basically a stab to your smashing heart due to how bad it is yet he still uses it and still somehow works. Maneuverability is in pichu's favor all the way don't need to get into this. And yeah, thats the basics.

Oh and technical Pichu players are awesome Pichu players, technical Kirby players don't exist

D

Deleted member

Those videos reminded me, how do people feel about Pichu's pillaring game with Fair?

It deals 4% recoil (unless you cancel it by landing half-way through) every time you do it, which is one of the reasons I stopped using it, but does it have any merit?
I've asked this question myself, a lot of people i asked say it's useful for combos. I've also seen it used as an approach sometimes to mix things up, although idk if i really agree with it.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Why'd they take ICG from us?
Edit: Nevermind, I found another thread talking about it. >.< But please, by all means continue the discussion.

Personally, I like Pichu's faster playstyle in general.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think people overrate Bowser and he should probably be in this discussion. He's really helpless vs people that just throw crap at him on a big level and run away. Pichu and Kirby are actually significantly better vs projectile camping than Bowser is.

As a result I think they actually do better vs Falco and some others (level dependent).

BunBun

Smash Master
I think people overrate Bowser and he should probably be in this discussion. He's really helpless vs people that just throw crap at him on a big level and run away. Pichu and Kirby are actually significantly better vs projectile camping than Bowser is.

As a result I think they actually do better vs Falco and some others (level dependent).
None of them matter though, so let's just ignore them all.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Pichu has more framesafe stuff. And it's easier for him to approach characters because his mobility allows him to stuff moves with his fast ones; provided you don't challenge anything you can't beat, he can actually come out on top in a lot of clashes. He also has a better throw game, though it's also arguably harder to land grabs with him.

Kirby's advantages are mostly that he plays more like a standard character in that he can space his tippy toes and go through moves. His crouch also protects him from a lot grabs, which buffs his crouch cancel a lot. Low aerial mobility kills the safety and effectiveness of a lot of otherwise decent spacing strategies.

Not sure which one is better at the moment. Pichu is probably less limited though.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'd say Pichu. Kirby has bad approaches, ****y throws, and worse gimping ability. Pichu has great throws, mobility, and better killing moves/ sets up gimps better.

Kirby does have a bit better range and doesn't hurt himself
He also has worse recovery.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
It's would be easier to just go through the Pro's, and Con's of both character to see the advantages, and disadvantages of both characters.

I use to think that maybe kirby had something that everyone was blind too, but nothing ever seem to work.

Pichu has a lot better chance i think, because of the skill needed to learn to play with pichu for him to be good.

If Pichu is a "Bad Fox" then Kirby is a "Horrible Jiggypuff"

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Kirby isn't like Puff. Puff's best traits are her aerial mobility, safety, high range, and OHKOs. Kirby's good traits are almost all ground-related: his duck, grab range, and tilts. You can toss his Bair in there, too, I guess. His air game on the whole is very lacking, however. Consequently they don't play similarly at all.

Pichu plays like Fox in that they employ similar strategies with how they place their Nairs and acquire first hits. This is mostly as a result of their good movement games and having a similar speed class in their attacks. The difference is that Fox is a bit faster, has a bit more priority (so some moves Fox can muscle through, Pichu has to avoid, block, etc.), has a lot more safety on hit (Shine), and transitions from his first hit game into his punishment game far more effectively.

edit:

I personally find Kirby far more comparable to Sheik, quite honestly.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Personally, I'm shocked.

I wasn't aware that Kirby was a playable character.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yeah, I'm actually planning on it.

Gotta work on my YL and GaW as well as my Pichu.

Anyways, I throw my weight behind Pichu. Partly because Kirby can't do anything. Partly because Pichu needs all the weight s/he (?) can get.

Dart!

Smash Master
i'm actually pretty happy that ICG is gone. maybe now pichu can have some real discussion/tactical advice that makes sense. plus i will be able to comprehend everybodies posts

Top Bottom