• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Brawl! March 13th, 2010 (***Port Coquitlam, BC)

Clouderz

Smash Ace
we're prety close to 30 as of now, do you know anyone who may be interested?
actually no i dont, none of my friends play brawlm

nor do i
but i just so happen to **** at it, ez mnoey ya know?

ill come though

LFL

Smash Journeyman
If you are going to bring these games make sure you are bringing a full setup. I only have about 6 tv's and that won't be enough to run a 30 man tournament as it is.

ikool

Smash Apprentice
Dam, I forgot the TV issue... I have a spare TV at my house, but taking that thing to Abby is a hell of a lot of effort. O_O

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I'm bringing a TV from Okanagan hopefully, so no johns for any of you who don't.

Like Jordan said, bring a full setup if you want to play a game. Your setup will be put into brawl during pools, singles and doubles until more people are eliminated. This is a brawl tournament first, but you are still welcome to bring what games you want to play.

I can bring 3rd Strike, but I'm not bringing controllers or a ps2. As for TvC, we can have time for it maybe if we have the time after Brawl and 64. Feel free to bring any games for before and after the tournament too, it was pretty fun to do that before Komodo.

Ic0nic

Smash Apprentice
I'm in for doubles for now. Bringing a wii + 2 tvs.

edit: also, looking for good doubles partner.

ikool

Smash Apprentice
About the TV issue, my TV is pretty fat. It's got a large screen, but that thing is heavy... and I mean really heavy. Secondly, it definitely won't fit in a car, I'd need a truck to take this thing there.

Also, mind if I bring my laptop? I could definitely stream this, and that way, I could also commentate! :D

smash mash

Smash Apprentice
oh nice..didn't know about this...ok..well if eric is down to go, then i will to for sure...ill totally bring my A game to this tourney seeing superboom coming...

Ic0nic

Smash Apprentice
Uh...what?

If you're trying to guilt us into not doing pools, it's not going to work. >.>

:005:
That's not my intent at all. I'm just not interested in doing a seeded tourny, do whatever you want. I'm not a TO it's not my call.

Ic0nic

Smash Apprentice
What could possibly be so bad about a seeded tourney that you won't enter one only for that reason? o.0

X person has a better shot at getting further than Y person before the games even start. It just doesn't sit as fair to me.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
No, X person has a better shot at getting far than Y person before the bracket even starts. X and Y have equal chances in their pools. If Y is playing very well that day and gets 1st seed in Y's pool, Y will have a very good shot at making it far in the bracket, where Y = anyone.

Ic0nic

Smash Apprentice
The pool system itself I don't really see as fair either unless they are done randomly.

Asa

Smash Hero
stop complaining about pools and enter

just **** all in your way despite how you do in pools
any medium-large tournament does pools
it's just the way

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
The pool system itself I don't really see as fair either unless they are done randomly.
Consider the following:
-Pool A consists of myself, Ben, Brian, and Vincent
-You get a pool (B) consisting of some combination of players that are not top 4 players
-You manage to win all your sets, and earn 1st seed. You're set for the bracket, right?
-Wrong. Since 1st seeds are paired with last seeds from a different pool in the first round, you happen to be put up against the 4th place finisher of pool A, say, Vincent. Unless you pull a significant upset, you lose to unbalanced pools.
-Furthermore, this hurts other low seeds that lost their first matches. Whoever you wind up facing in loser's has the misfortune of facing a 1st seed in their first match of the loser's bracket. They never had a chance. Again, this is caused entirely by unbalanced pools.

This is clearly an extreme example. However, I'd like to point out that just about every randomly-generated bracket since OV3 has been an extreme example of how random anything can screw people over.

corbinvenida

Smash Apprentice
Consider the following:
-You get a pool (B) consisting of some combination of players that are not top 4 players
-You manage to win all your sets, and earn 1st seed. You're set for the bracket, right?
-Wrong. Since 1st seeds are paired with last seeds from a different pool in the first round, you happen to be put up against the 4th place finisher of pool A, say, Vincent. Unless you pull a significant upset, you lose to unbalanced pools.
-Furthermore, this hurts other low seeds that lost their first matches. Whoever you wind up facing in loser's has the misfortune of facing a 1st seed in their first match of the loser's bracket. They never had a chance. Again, this is caused entirely by unbalanced pools.

This is clearly an extreme example. However, I'd like to point out that just about every randomly-generated bracket since OV3 has been an extreme example of how random anything can screw people over.

tik tok, on the clock, but the party dont stop? OH WOW OH OH OWH WHOH OH.

but in all seriousness, i think pools are fair, i was stuck in an long and pointless three way tie and ended up in third in the pools, and since everyone at komodo pretty much is at the same skill level except a few, ****ing bundtcake (nah im just ****ing with you lol). it promotes more play, and i managed to do well, so anything can happen. Madness! THIS IS BRAWL!. and im assuming your the pikachu, its pretty ****. Im sure you can do well!!!

cmon, if a guy who goes with a sig as stupid as Tpain can do well, im sure you can do well too! stop being such a negative nelly.

EDIT: i just realized that i quoted something in this post that has nothing to do with what im talking about, im talking to IcoNic. Im too drunk for this ****.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
lmao at pools being unfair. pools are there to make the bracket more fair. jake pretty much explained it, except he didn't mention if brackets were done randomly, then you might have the most stacked/hardest bracket in the world.

and i doubt you wanna get ***** in 1st round winner's, then 1st round losers.

asa even mentioned it. just **** through the bracket. no johns.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
jake pretty much explained it, except he didn't mention if brackets were done randomly, then you might have the most stacked/hardest bracket in the world.
I didn't go into detail there, because I assumed it was implied based on what HAS happened before. The brackets at my first two brawl tournaments in BC were literally as stacked against me (and bundtcake) as they could have possibly been. They were both randomly generated, of course.

corbinvenida

Smash Apprentice
oh yeah, i was thinking of moving my tourney to like the first saturday of April, because thats the other available date i can get it, and people seem to be more receptive to April? What do people think? Check out my thread PICK UP YO STICKSSSSS!

EDit: Lol, i said more receptive to APril, i meant Saturday lolz

Asa

Smash Hero
wow corbin get some ice for that burn

i'm good with april
i'd like that

corbinvenida

Smash Apprentice
Having your hardest matches at the beginning of the bracket is really freaking stupid, even if you do win everything. =3

Edit: OMG Corbin. XD You got him baaaaaaaaaad

yeahhh, cause im Tpain, i drop dem burns like i drop my beatzzzz. Fresh and Timeless

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
He's good when he's on a boat though. Otherwise...

And there's nothing wrong with seeded pools. Basically all that matters is that the brackets get seeded properly, and that's done best with pools... and that's done best when pools are seeded properly. Yes, confusing post, but it works lol.

Ic0nic

Smash Apprentice
Consider the following:

If the pools are REALLY messed you can hit the random button again, but the top players being able to avoid each other during the pool/early brackets gives them a much better chance than other players.

With seeded pools I have a better chance of facing top competition as a lower seed and losing in the first round than in a random. If the bracket draws against me, so be it, I'm going to have to face top people if my intent is to win. But at least with random pools or brackets I'm not at a disadvantage to winning before the bracket is made. If your intent is to win, the amount of matches I play in a tournament is pretty pointless, playing 2 more matches in the losers bracket doesn't take away the disadvantage from getting to the money I'm initially burdened with. I can play money matches or friendlies to get matches in, I play a tournament to win.

I couldn't fathom this process being used in a sport without the express purpose of qualifying top people for national or international competition, and that's not even using a double elimination setup, if you draw your main competition you can still come back and win first place.

Top Bottom