• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Brawl 6 (Important Venue Change! Details inside)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah I'll be driving of course. I won't be available on Saturday to help set up since I have work. Friday may be possible though. :)

SKidd

Smash Master
I know where the maggie benson center is.

Also it's just I haven't spoken at all about it (this happened 2 seconds ago <_<), I'm sure I'm able to go, it's just it's not confirmed yet.

T-block

B2B TST
Oh man... hope everything works out.

If there's anything I can do to help lemme know.

Maybe I'll just provide sexual favours for those who help move TVs =ooo

Crisis

Smash Ace
are the tvs and the venue the only problem?

i can help with tvs if i can get the car. can 11 tvs fit in 1 car? shouldnt be too much of a problem if they can.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
are the tvs and the venue the only problem?

i can help with tvs if i can get the car. can 11 tvs fit in 1 car? shouldnt be too much of a problem if they can.
In a perfect world...

We will also need Wiis, as well. But, one thing at a time, I suppose.

Anyway, I just submitted an online form to request a room; it wasn't for a specific room, but rather, just a form to fill out to apply for some kind of space on campus. None of the offices are open this late to my knowledge, so that was the only real option for tonight. I should receive a reply within 24 hours, so hopefully we can get this step over with quickly.

:005:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Well, I guess I will suggest it but can't guarantee we will go through with it.

I could bring a TV to the venue if absolutely necessary from the Victoria smash club. However, taking a TV through transit etc. all the way to some place is a pain. I've done it before, and it is not fun at all. Not to mention everyone looks at you thinking you stole it from some place...

Funny enough, last time we did that (me, Daltsy, and Taffy, a TV each), Meta told us we would get free entry to the melee event, but we all forgot until after the tournament about it, so we never got that lol.

So yeah, my way of possibly helping out (and if another islander goes with me, we could each bring one)...

Edit: Jake, make sure you emphasize that you would prefer to have large room, with tables or something similar. Otherwise, you might get a room too small to use, or a classroom with only rows of chairs and no place for tables or TV's. Having had both these problems booking rooms at UVIC, I'm giving you an advance warning.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Evan told me that story earlier today when I was talking to him. What a bunch of beasts. I won't make you go through the trouble, but thanks for the offer. =]

Edit: Thanks for the tip. There wasn't a whole lot of room to specify in the form, but I'll do my best to make sure we get something suitable.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
That's sick

Heh, funny the topic has been transportation to the venue...

Because I just found out yesterday that the venue, Home Video, is unavailable for the 24th. I had previously booked the tournament for that date, but when I called the store yesterday morning to confirm that I'd be going over to test/count their TVs, it was brought to my attention that there was a large Yu-Gi-Oh tournament scheduled to take place in the store that day. It was a miscommunication, and now we have some adjusting to do. I know some people have already bought their plane tickets, so re-scheduling is clearly out of the question. We've looked into a couple other options for venues (close to Home Video) over the last couple of days, but neither will work, so it's looking like the most likely option will be at SFU campus. I'm looking into that now.

Aside from the obvious, the biggest problem we have to face right now is TVs. We were set to go if we had been able to stay at Home Video; they have 11 working TVs, and Kodokan had another 2 for a total of 13. We can still access these TVs, but only if we can transport them back and forth between Home Video and SFU (or wherever the new venue may be), and we can't count on being able to leave them overnight. I know this is asking a lot, but we need to have anybody who can help move TVs around do whatever they can. That could very well include taking TVs from Home Video Friday night, bringing them up to campus Saturday morning, bringing them back down Saturday evening, and/or returning them to Home Video on Sunday. Fortunately, we should be able to get 3 TVs from the campus, but that by itself will be nowhere near enough to run this tournament successfully. I know I'm asking a lot right now, and I'm sorry, but I don't have much of a choice. =[

:cry:

so I guess I should book my plane ticket just yet...

I hope tingz go well. I was so down to go to this.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I can help out and bring my Gamecube. :awesome:

But seriously, if you guys need anything, I won't be doing much besides hanging out with people. I don't drive though.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
if you guys need any extra help with anything just give me a shout.

No car or anything though so i'm kind of useless. Just a baller with muscles. :awesome:

I can bring my set up too if I didn't already mention it somewhere.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
We will have a legitimate venue for this event. For anybody flying in, you can exhale the breath you've been holding. =P Jordan, AKA Kodokan, formerly LFL, has offered up the office space he works at for use as a venue, and overall, it's making SFU look like the inferior choice ATM. I haven't heard back from SFU yet, and I want to at least wait for the 24 hour period to get a reply from them before making any final decisions, but this venue has a lot going for it, including a solid internet connection, no time restrictions, not having to worry about noise, and it'll be much easier to move TVs there than it would be to move them to SFU. The biggest issue we'd face is getting chairs, which we may be able to get from Home Video in addition to TVs. (I should hopefully hear back from them on this soon)

As for the location, it's kind of far from Vancouver, but it really isn't a bad location, and is within walking distance of an active bus that happens to run past midnight (the last bus bound for Coquitlam leaves at around 12:45, IIRC). By transit, it'll take maybe 5-10 more minutes to get there than it would take to get to Home Video, and doesn't require any extra transfers (using Coquitlam Station as a starting point). It's closer than either Home Video or SFU for anybody in Abbotsford. For people who live near the venue, it probably wouldn't take any longer to get to the office space than it would take to get to SFU.

Either way, I'll hopefully be able to confirm which option we'll be going with later tonight.

Edit: This would've been posted 2 hours ago, but the wireless network adapter on my laptop quit out on me as I was finishing my post. So I couldn't connect to the internet, and I didn't have my flash drive on me, so I had to go home and grab it, then bring it back to campus to I could load the driver files onto my laptop to fix it. >.>

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Jordan LFL Kodokan is the man.

Can somebody get a hold of Breez, and get him to text me (780.292.4124)?

I've been trying to get a hold of him, 'cause I need to confirm his address/phone number, and whether he can still house us.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Fair warning to people taking transit though, you'll have to be mindful of when all of your busses stop running (NOT JUST the one that runs from the venue) and make sure you leave in time to make all your connections (or make alternate arrangements to get home). You will have to factor in the walk between the venue and the bus stop as well (15 minutes IIRC). I'm in a fortunate position, because once the 701 (bus that drops off by the venue) gets to Coquitlam, the only bus I have to take to get home is the 97 B-line, which runs until about 2am, so I can almost definitely catch the last bus.

If anybody has any questions about this, please contact me once the venue is confirmed/the address is posted. I had it before, but I've since closed the tab, and didn't write it down anywhere. =P

Captain L

Smash Champion
what town is the venue in?

By the sounds of what Jake is saying it's totally in Mission/Abby

KillLock

Smash Lord
Kodakon being a boss as usual. Yo Kodakon if you see this why did you change your name so many times? LOLOL

I thought LFL was a legit name.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
what town is the venue in?

By the sounds of what Jake is saying it's totally in Mission/Abby
It's close by the Maple Meadows bus loop.

Kodakon being a boss as usual. Yo Kodakon if you see this why did you change your name so many times? LOLOL

I thought LFL was a legit name.
He changed his name once, and you can't even get the name right. It's Kodokan. :awesome:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Props to Jake for sorting things out! :)

I may be able to bring some folding chairs if that ends up being necessary. I can also bring my set-up.

SKidd

Smash Master
Kodokan is now inscribed in legend as 'The Hero of Venue'

And Captain Landon get on MSN yo

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Oh, you.

Props to Jake for sorting things out! :)

I may be able to bring some folding chairs if that ends up being necessary. I can also bring my set-up.
Chairs would be amazing. =0 How many would you be able to bring?

I should also start keeping a list of Wiis confirmed. So far, I've got Sinister, Kantrip, Captain L, and SKidd (and Robert's 64).

Top Bottom