• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach Weekly Match-Up Discussion - Forever Outdated :(

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado

The past discussion were succesful!

What are you saying? Summaries?

Yeah yeah I'll make them sometime. Hopefully this week.

:052:
Yea the past discussion were and I'm extremely grateful for you doing them. You don't need to worry about the summaries :p

My problem is that people say 'we should rediscuss so and so sometime'. Why don't people just go ahead and do it? Theres been a real lack of contribution and actual match up finalization from people lately, though not as such since Yaaay's rediscussions have gone very well

gantrain05

Smash Master
if you guys wanna discuss toon link.....feel free =) im also not feeling very good about the snake MU anymore....maybe im just being alot more predictable than usual, but i seem to be getting caught in waaaaaaaaaaay too many of snakes Nairs......

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Ok...an update! For once :p I've completed the Falco :falco: match up minus quotes and videos. Also, match up ratios have changed. Underlined is now new match up ratio. Ratios are Peach-Enemy
- Falco = 50-50 to 40-60
- Ike = 55-45 to 60-40
- Jigglypuff = 55-45 to 60-40
- Kirby = 55-45 to 50-50
- Olimar = 70-30 to 60-40
- Samus = 50-50 to 55-45
- Sonic = 60-40 to 65-35
- Wolf = 45-55 to 50-50
- Yoshi = 50-50 to 60-40
- Zelda = 55-45 to 65-35

Please tell me if you think any of these ratios are incorrect and why. Also, someone please look through the Falco write up and tell me if I've missed anything important out

Thanks in advance :)

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
- Falco = 50-50 to 40-60
No. Completely remove this ratio please. It is waaaay to controversial to even give a ratio for imo.

- Ike = 55-45 to 60-40
- Jigglypuff = 55-45 to 60-40
- Kirby = 55-45 to 50-50
Sure.
- Olimar = 70-30 to 60-40
Meehh... I kinda disagree, but I can live with it.
- Samus = 50-50 to 55-45
Why? This hasn't been discussed and isn't VERY obvious, is it?
- Sonic = 60-40 to 65-35
- Wolf = 45-55 to 50-50
- Yoshi = 50-50 to 60-40
Okay.
- Zelda = 55-45 to 65-35
Change it to 60-40 please. It really is not that bad. In theory Peach ***** Zelda but Zelda's punishes are really nasty and she does have some tricks up (or another preposition?) her sleeve.

:053:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Yea I'm not sure why I altered the Samus match up lol I'll fix that in a sec, must have mis read their match up thread
I'm leaving Falco at 40-60. It seems to be what most people have thought and its what the Falco boards have down. I certainly see it as being 40-60

Olimar was one I really wanted to change, 70-30 is ridiculous. I was sure it was more around 60-40 now unless I've got that wrong

And to say Zelda does better vs Peach than Sonic does...I disagree a lot but I'll wait until what other people see. Zelda is just plain dreadful in my eyes...sorry :x

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Yea I'm not sure why I altered the Samus match up lol I'll fix that in a sec, must have mis read their match up thread
I'm leaving Falco at 40-60. It seems to be what most people have thought and its what the Falco boards have down. I certainly see it as being 40-60

Olimar was one I really wanted to change, 70-30 is ridiculous. I was sure it was more around 60-40 now unless I've got that wrong

And to say Zelda does better vs Peach than Sonic does...I disagree a lot but I'll wait until what other people see. Zelda is just plain dreadful in my eyes...sorry :x
I certainly see Falco as a 50-50. ;d

70-30 is too harsh, but imo 6-4 is too nice. But I dont have a lot of Olimar experience, so I'll just shut it.

And I'm sorry... but Zelda does much better than Sonic vs Peach.

:053:

gantrain05

Smash Master
i dunno, really good sonic on his stupid CP's are pretty **** annoying, especially when they are zooming aorund the stage with INFINITE INVINCIBILITY FRAMES. zelda is a chump.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I had a look at the admittedly old Zelda MU ratios thread on the Zelda boards and from what I remember most of the ratios had the match up as 65:35 in Peach's favour
I was considering putting it as 60:40 but I tried to take into account characters who we also think have a 60:40 with Peach and those that had a 65:35 and I feel she deserves to be more in the 65:35 category

Also...sorry to all you Zelda people but I just think Zelda is a dreadful character. Forgive me Kata! :p

In all seriousness, she has very few merits indeed. Din's Fire is a terrible projectile due to it being telgraphed as hell - in a competitive sense there is nothing stopping Peach from getting a lead in stock/percent and camping at the other side of the stage and running the clock if you really wanted to be that boring. Nair will stop any Din's which you can see coming miles off, or you could just shield if you wanted to keep things simple. Peach's Fair outranges everything Zelda can do provided she plays safe and spaces what she does. Zelda is slow and doesn't move around very well. You can punish virtually everything she does with an OoS Turnip or Jab

Her Up Smash will stop aerials if you're really careless with them or Floating like a goon. Zelda can kill early if you're clumsy or if she's very good with lightning kicks or if you get caught out with a Uair early which could probably merit the match up to be 60:40

But then she gets tossed offstage and everything goes to pot for her

If a lot of people really think I'm talking rubbish and if the Zelda's storm in and tell me I'm wrong I'd be more than happy to change it but I just think Zelda has a hard time vs Peach

White-Peach

Smash Ace
Zelda does ok defending against Peach on-stage with FSmash and USmash. Both are fast and have great range. FSmash can be DI'd out of if you're hit early on, but forget it if she just tags you with the end. Zelda NEEDS you to approach her for her attacks to be effective, so just chuck turnips at her, she can't do anything. But yeah, Peach can get in easily with turnips and keep poking her and lifting her off the ground and just make it hard for her to get back into an even position. This is wildly exaggerated the moment Peach knocks Zelda offstage because 1) Peach can't kill, but she can work the ledge, 2) Zelda's recovery is utterly terrible.

And I love Zelda, but she needs that teleport to be 3x faster, and the ability to teleport 4 times (please? :D)

Purple

Hi guys!
This is the summary that was created in the Samus Rediscussion thread. I just looked back at this thread and I sincerely apologize for not going with the setup that you guys have created for the rest of the characters.. That was pretty unbecoming of me :urg:

[collapse=What was made of the Samus Rediscussion Thread][Introduction]
I'd like to do shoutouts to people who made the Match-Up write-up possible. The names are written in Alphabetical order (it's actually just everyone who took the time and posted in this thread.) I gave hearts to people I felt helped an awful lot :D

[shout outs!]
:peach:
Airgemini ♥
C Spyker
Metatitan
Moozle
1 Lucky Pikachu
Rickerdy-doo-da-day ♥
Roxy
White-Peach ♥
Yaaay ♥

:random:
NO-IDea ♥

:samus2:
Killerjawz ♥
LanceStern
Xyro ♥

The Match-Up information is derived from this very thread, as well as Samus' Log Book: Creature Morphology. This matchup will explain Samus' Point of View, along with Peach's. Giving us a basic idea of how the match-up would be played, what to look out for, what to not do, and what steps you can take to the make the matchup that much easier for you!.

We will play through the entire match-up, piece by piece..

[Stage Selection]

If you use stage striking in your tournament, I'd recommend banning Battlefield, as well as Final Destination as your two strikes. While Battlefield in most matchups is an acceptable place to go to for Peach. Samus does far better than you on it. Samus can use extremely small stages and platforms to her advantage much better than you can. Your turnip pulls can be quickly punished by missles or z-airs since the stage is so small, so your turnip game is greatly disadvantaged. Final Destination is a good choice for strike because of the fact that most Samus players are extremely campy, final destination being the camping godsend of all neutrals, this would be the obvious choice for striking.

In the situation that you are not allowed to strike, and can only ban. I feel your best choices are Final Destination and BF still. While Pokemon Stadium 1 is also a good stage for Samus, what's more important is gaining the lead early (by winning the first match), then (sometimes even purposely) losing the counterpick, in order to have the advantage on the third match (your counterpick that expands your strengths, and expands on your opponents weaknesses). Banning a neutral is much better than banning a CP with Samus. Doing this limits her ability to camp you efficiently, and puts you in a better situation for winning the first game.

Now, this help you for the first game and the first game only. But what about if you lose the second match or the get unlucky and lose the first? What's a good stage to use? Well thanks to KillerJawz, we have a definitive answer to that as well

[Castle Siege : Why it's bad for Samus and how to use it]

* - I put stars to show that the wording of a certain statement was either incorrect, or the spelling of a word was incorrect and i changed it accordingly

"This stage has always been a bad one for Samus, regardless of who her opponent is, this is mainly because every single stage that comes up out of the three, are theoretically BAD for Samus. On the first part of the stage, you are entered onto a cramped area with two very low platforms, we cannot camp AT ALL here, so *effectively, you are already in, and you can start wracking up that damage asap. We can use the platforms well, but thats it. You can duck down in that small gap to avoid alot of the rubbish we throw out at you.

On the second part of the stage, you are lowered into a MASSIVE room where there are some statues, each of them carrying a flat platform and two flags at the very top corners of the room. Those statues are the death of Samus. They nerf zair's reach, blow up our missles early and make our moves LINGER (this is better for you, trust me). We cannot spam you here, so once again, you can get in, and wrack up the damage, the platforms at the top are pretty useless to us both unless one of us is attempting to stall the clock, but I guarantee you WE cannot do that on this level, also, you guys can abuse the throw > death thing off the sides better then us because Samus has a whopping frame 17 standing/running and frame 19 pivot grabs.

The final part of the stage brings you onto a small tilting rock, surrounded by lava. This stage is like a smaller final destination, granted, we can keep you out REALLY well here, but when the stage starts to tilt, we struggle to keep up, it effects our spacing significantly and it completely destroys our recovery after we have bomb stalled (you guys can float, so it's easier for you). You guys will beat us on parts 1 and 2, we may win on part 3, but thats really just a matter of spacing."

-KillerJawz

TL;DR - If you can strike, strike BF and FD, if you can only ban, ban one of the two neutral, to increase your chance of not getting one of samus' better stages. When it comes to CPs, along with stages that you enjoy, take the time to practice using Castle Siege, for it is a great stage for you in this matchup.

[The Heat of Battle: What to look for in Samus]

For starters, you need to know how most Samus' will play this Match-Up. Samus is a campy character, using z-airs and missles in order to mask their actual attack. They will take advantage of you having to pull turnips, as well as having to get in, in order to increase their percentage lead as you get hit between scary z-airs, wandering missles, and other problems. In this MU, when you get in on Samus, you need to stay in, and do significant damage. There is a lot of risk pushing yourself into Samus' bubble, however there is no other way (or at least, the chances of you winning is minimal) if you decide to play this MU by staying away: by staying away, you're making Samus' job much easier. Samus' jab is horrible, and outside of her Up-B OoS being a nuisance, you definitely have the advantage in a close-up display of fisticuffs.

You will have a few problems, unless you can air dodge on reaction, z-airs will destroy your floating capabilities entirely. Even if you can air dodge it, please pay close attention to this.

Peach's Airdodge is horrible

You heard it here Peach mains, her air dodge is extremely easy to punish, among the three worst air dodges in the game. You should work your way around missles and z-airs carefully, and refrain from using airdodges when Samus has her CS fully charged. Samus' will take advantage of this GREATLY hitting you with a full CS after a z-air for an easy 25% in their favor. You don't like this fact, and I don't like this fact. So for the best of both of us, we should not float in this MU.

Now let's say you get in on Samus via float, and begin your D-airing frenzy. This can be Screw Attacked (up-b'd) OoS by Samus, and since it sucks you in, even pulling away can be punished in some scenarios. If you get hit by this, at low percentages you 'might' be able to come back and punish with a d-air (even though Peach is floatier than Samus, your D-air can make up for that distance away). At high percentages this is nearly impossible for Peach to punish.**

** - If you'd like, however it's only relatively acceptable at low percentages. You may Up-B Samus' Up-B for quick damage. However note that the damage is minimal, and since samus is heavier than Peach, she can easily come back and hit you with a falling d-air, or worse, a d-tilt. This is a high risk: low reward attack, therefore isn't recommended.

So, in summary, Samus will spam and space z-airs in order to prevent you from pulling turnips or floating to use your aerials. Samus has almost guaranteed setups against Peach with her Zair to CS. Samus can also throw small energy shots to test your reactions, and punish accordingly. All of this makes Peach horrible in this MU right?

Wrong.

Let's discuss What makes Peach good in this Matchup, and what YOU should look for to punish.

[The Heat of Battle Part 2 : Using Peach Effectively]

For starters, knowing how to glide toss is extremely helpful, and almost necessary in this match-up. Please know that the farther you can glide-toss, the better. Remember how we striked and/or banned BF and FD? This increases your chances of picking turnips by a good deal, considering Yoshi's Story's platforms slightly shift as time goes by, making missles potentially fly past you, and Smashville's moving platform is great to pick a turnip and assess the situation (and close enough to the ground where you can safely reach the floor). But back to glide tossing, you can shield Samus' missles, and then glide toss towards her while she's in cool down. This allows you the ability to get in, while not having to rely on the benefits of floating. Remember what we said before: when Peach gets in on Samus, Peach wins very heavily and needs to take advantage of it by dealing large amounts of damage. By decreasing the risk of taking idle damage, while still getting the reward of getting in on your opponent, you can easily steer the match into your favor. Using basic Peach methods work very well on Samus (save a few floating techniques).

• Jab To Grab
  • Spaced Fair to Jab
  • Spaced Fair to lol Spaced Fair
  • Nair OoS

Mix it up, the more you mix up your strengths, the better chance you have of them connecting and dealing good damage.

When Samus is in the air, she has minimal ways of safely attacking from above (save d-air, which is while an effective move, is laggy enough to be punished). U-tilt is a great, 'large' hotbox move to use to do extremely good (by peach standards) damage on Samus. You can also use Up-smash which sucks your opponent in slightly, and hope for a quick kill. Your Turnips come into great play to set you up for more damage and more juggles, you can use your turnips as a reaction test, to see how your opponent will react and punish accordingly, or just toss them up there for damage in general.

Tl;DR - Getting in, and either keep Samus high in the air (not short hop distance) or close to you can make racking up damage easy, along with making your kill moves more accessible to use.

[In Conclusion]

This matchup is extremely fun in my opinion for Peach as well as Samus. The MU generally goes like this..

1. Samus outspaces Peach
  2. Peach takes significant damage
  3. Peach gets in
  4. Samus takes significant damage
  5. They both reach high percentages, then either character dies.
  6. Dying character comes back, and uses invincibility to position themselves to their advantage (even potentially killing their opponent).
  7. Next character dies. Rinse and repeat from step one.

Samus gets to really take advantage of their spacing tools against Peach. While Peach gets to use her jabs, safe F-air's, etc. more than she would in High-Top tier matchups. It's a matter of which player is smarter than the other, and if they played the entire game correctly (banning the correct stages, playing the MU correctly, mindgames, etc.)

50:50 Even

Tell me if I said anything wrong!! Or if I forgot anything![/collapse]

Purple

Hi guys!
I'd rather not delete someone's work and effort to replace mine. Instead, how about you just post [Further Detail into the Matchup] Right under the original one?

And Airgemini, you're getting a shout-out whether you like it or not. :) :mad: :mad: :)

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Let's use Roxy's setup for the Main Page :D
I'd rather not delete someone's work and effort to replace mine. Instead, how about you just post [Further Detail into the Matchup] Right under the original one?
Yea I'd appreciate it if we didn't remove the stuff I've put in, I put a lot of work into getting this thread up to scratch back when I had spare time...also, the thread is an absolute nightmare to sift through and edit things lol, the OP is MASSIVE. Good stuff like Roxy's though will definitly go in the quotes section though

If however lots and lots of people really don't like the current structure of the match up thread then I'd be willing to alter it but I personally would like to keep it as it is as I feel its simpler listing things via bullet points on the summary and then have more indepth strategies in quotes such as Roxy's

Purple

Hi guys!
I never understood why you guys just didn't make a post for each character, I mean, get a mod who can post in locked threads, all of the information, and they post it as necessary, heck. Any of us can do it, and it makes it easier for information to get edited.

We really should do that sometime to make things easier for us later..

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
If we give each character its own post, they'll end up taking up a couple of pages at least I reckon. I'm not entirely sure what you mean though :p Do you mean that we give for example MK as the first post and then Snake as the second post in the thread?

And when I said it was a nightmare to sift through...well, it is yea but its not unmanagable, just takes a while thats all ;D

Ahhh a brainwave!

There's actually 3 redundant posts below the the OP in this thread which I tbh I'd completely forgotten about. One of them is the old OP (I think), another was for quotes from other boards match up discussions (which would be very useful for me now I think of it) and then there's one for a bit more space

Soooo we could
- Spread out the OP into 4 posts as it is
or
-Use the OP for the summaries/quotes/stuff we have, use another post for quotes/links from discussion threads about Peach in other character boards and then use another post for Roxy's summaries since they're much longer and much more in depth than the stuff thats in the quotes section. Not sure what the other one could be used for, maybe Yaaay's summaries?

I personally prefer the 2nd option and obviously anyone whos written really in depth summaries can have the posts - it would be extremely daft for me to use them/expect to use them since I didn't write them in the first place and we might as well cut out the middle man :p

Also - Dekuu, could you update that chart of yours whenever you get the spare time? Match up ratios are much more up to date than they were before

I really disagree with this ratio. Zelda isn't really bad.
How can you say a character isn't that bad when they have/are:

DIiable smashes
NO solid approach
A projectile with little to no priority
No aerial game to speak of
Light as paper
Terrible recovery
A very very punishable reflector

Zelda is diabolical beyond words, and anybody who thinks otherwise should feel bad.

With proper timing and skill a Zelda player can dreadfully punish errors Peach commits. Peach is famous for her aerial attacks but Zelda can use Din's fire which has a fairly good hitbox as a good defensive measure.
That can said for most characters. You misspace a fair, a good Zelda will be there punish accordingly. ALL of your aerials beat out dins, ALL of them.

I had a look at the admittedly old Zelda MU ratios thread on the Zelda boards and from what I remember most of the ratios had the match up as 65:35 in Peach's favour
I was considering putting it as 60:40 but I tried to take into account characters who we also think have a 60:40 with Peach and those that had a 65:35 and I feel she deserves to be more in the 65:35 category
I don't reckon it's 65:35 bad, but definatly in your favor.

Also...sorry to all you Zelda people but I just think Zelda is a dreadful character. Forgive me Kata! :p
She's diabolical beyond words, if anybody does know this by now, then I have lost faith in the community.

In all seriousness, she has very few merits indeed. Din's Fire is a terrible projectile due to it being telgraphed as hell - in a competitive sense there is nothing stopping Peach from getting a lead in stock/percent and camping at the other side of the stage and running the clock if you really wanted to be that boring. Nair will stop any Din's which you can see coming miles off, or you could just shield if you wanted to keep things simple. Peach's Fair outranges everything Zelda can do provided she plays safe and spaces what she does. Zelda is slow and doesn't move around very well. You can punish virtually everything she does with an OoS Turnip or Jab

Her Up Smash will stop aerials if you're really careless with them or Floating like a goon. Zelda can kill early if you're clumsy or if she's very good with lightning kicks or if you get caught out with a Uair early which could probably merit the match up to be 60:40

But then she gets tossed offstage and everything goes to pot for her

If a lot of people really think I'm talking rubbish and if the Zelda's storm in and tell me I'm wrong I'd be more than happy to change it but I just think Zelda has a hard time vs Peach
For a lack offline experience, that was beautifully written. Having a Zelda secondary, I can assure you this is correct.

Also Roxy that is a good suggestion, I approve of it, definatly.

Purple

Hi guys!
Soooo we could
- Spread out the OP into 4 posts as it is
or
-Use the OP for the summaries/quotes/stuff we have, use another post for quotes/links from discussion threads about Peach in other character boards and then use another post for Roxy's summaries since they're much longer and much more in depth than the stuff thats in the quotes section. Not sure what the other one could be used for, maybe Yaaay's summaries?
I'm okay with this, this just makes it a lot easier for you to deal with correct? I mean, I don't see why we wouldn't make our life easier by doing this.

I post on 40PPP, so with an introduction, a table of contents, a matchup chart, and all the characters, it would end up being 40 posts even.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Is there no solid matchup ratio for Mario? I saw question marks by his name and also noticed you guys just finished with Samus.

I was wondering the matchup myself, personally. Played Joey via wifi, but I don't think that's a great indicator since we're both probably better offline (I know I am) and did a friendly with KB at one of AZ's Delta's, though I doubt that was of much consequence.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Every time we have a discussion of the Peach vs Mario match up it always ends up turning into an argument. We never seem to reach an actual conclusion as to what works against who in the match up let alone get a ratio sorted out

I don't think there's many people out there with really solid Peach vs Mario experience either which makes things tricky

gantrain05

Smash Master
Every time we have a discussion of the Peach vs Mario match up it always ends up turning into an argument. We never seem to reach an actual conclusion as to what works against who in the match up let alone get a ratio sorted out

I don't think there's many people out there with really solid Peach vs Mario experience either which makes things tricky
well, its a typical husband/wife fight, where neither can agree on it, so they just let it go to argue about another day. but personally i think its at least 60/40 peach, mario just gets gimped too hard.

gantrain05

Smash Master
no way is marth vs peach even, its for sure marth advantage, really good marths can zone peach so well its near impossible for her to get inside, yeah she can gimp him, but he's one of the toughest characters to actually get offstage lol.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I've seen a lot of people say either 40:60 or 45:55 Marth's advantage, I thinks its the first that I've got the ratio down as

Marth isn't too bad provided you have a healthy use of Turnips and attack after he attacks/punish his mistakes

Ike is...meh I honestly don't think he does very well against Peach at all. Everything he does has lag and he's slow a hell. There's always a way to punish what he does with an OoS Turnip, even Fair when spaced

DK requires you to camp the crap out him because he's very strong and has long range moves without a great deal of lag. Bair is a really pain. Turnips all the way!

Never fought a good IC's in my life who acuallty desynched, thats one match up I don't know at all. Turnips and Dair on top of them and D Smash? Not a clue at all

Pit is frustrating to fight. Neither side can kill because you'll be relying on your Fair too much to outspace Pit and he'll be relying on his F Smash to catch you as perform something. OoS Turnip his F Smash and aerials, throw Turnips up in the air to stop him from running circles around you in the air and always keep close by him so he can't arrow spam

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Marth vs Peach is a matchup of intense precision. Marth has the tools to punish Peach harder and kill earlier than she can against him. However, she has a projectile, a good, versatile projectile, and that helps to cover some of her blind spots that he would normally punish otherwise, such as what would be viewed as a straightforward approach (fair/bair/etc.). He isn't incredibly difficult to get offstage as opposed to...erm...MK, so once he is offstage---

Tip 1: Peach has one of the most useful tactics to corner him with: Toss a turnip forward to condition the Marth to recover low if he's already used his second jump, snap onto the ledge right before he uses dolphin slash, then ledgehop instafloat a bair to knock him right off or possibly kill him at higher percents. This tactic also works on Lucario but with less risk since Lucario's up B doesn't do any damage or knockback. If Marth happens to land on stage just past the ledgehop intsafloat bair's range, Peach can still get a free ledgehop instafloat fair/nair out of the situation. Please bear this in mind and it will make edgeguarding against Marth/Lucario a much easier task as well as possibly allow Peach to score earlier kills which she desperately requires against both matchups.

Tip 2: The above tactic also leads to a possible u-smash mindgame setup. If you repeat the step above, make Marth use his second jump, then snap onto the ledge; there is a possibility that the Marth will try to mix up his recovery effort and up B a little earlier and from a slightly higher angle to avoid getting gimped from below (similar to what Praxis explained about Peach recovering against MK). If Peach is below 100% and can do the immediate climb up animation from the ledge, she will be able to score a free u-smash/running u-smash against the Marth to punish his mixup. This is certainly circumstantial, and will only occasionally be the result of conditioning your opponent from abuse of the above tactic, so be sure to keep an eye out for the possible opportunity.

Tip 3: In the case that the Marth saves his second jump as he attempts to recover, this is where anticipation comes into play and will warrant Peach to play a one-step-ahead edgeguard game. So if the Marth survives getting launched and still has his jump, immediately ledgepull a turnip and toss it upward, land back on stage and pull another turnip. Time a toss with the second turnip forward at Marth to force an airdodge (or obviously he'll be hit) and that will make him recover from below anyway. Now my previous point of anticipation pertains to his remaining second jump. With his second jump he will still pose a threat to Peach on the ledge with a possible aerial attempt. That is where the upward tossed turnip is supposed to do its part and protect you from his interception attempt. There are two common scenarios with said turnip defense; it will either hit him right as he uses his second jump or it will alert him to upB earlier than he would otherwise, which is where you would simply utilize the first or second tactics I explained depending on the height of his recovery attempt. This anticipation method also works for conditioning Lucario's recovery.

There you have it, edgeguaring Marth is all about conditioning, and it definitely can be done with the tools Peach has at her disposal, and certainly has been done by yours truly against capable Marth players.

I hope this contribution helps people to further understand Peach's approach to the matchup. <3

Top Bottom