• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach is dead.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Do you people even play this character anymore? Where have you been? What have you been up to? So far I've only noticed Kyle and Raz competing with her. I know a few of you have moved up and onward, like KB, aka Sky II. And a few of us are running around with school and dealing with life, like Kyon. But who still plays Peach?

Colorado is about to start a new MK-banned tournament series. It'll be interesting at least - but even if the character does get banned, I see it as a blow to Peach. Since I've said from the beginning, she does alright against him. The new influx of Snakes and Marths are gonna be a *****.

Also, no new videos from anyone. :sadeyes:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Kyle definitely impressed me.

MK being banned? Being a blow to Peach? Actually, if anything, MK being banned is a blow to Wario, lol. Marths and Dededes will rain free. What exactly will Peach have done with her? I think MK has too much to blow that match up out of the water when the MK and Peach both know it.

I might start learning her, though! She's an interesting character, with lots of tech skill involved. All for my Dad, who loves that character and luigi.

Sorry. Random pit alert. I'll be on my way XD

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It's a least a blow to me. I see how an MK ban would benefit Peach overall, but I've always had confidence against him personally and would rejoice in my mind whenever players would select him. I will miss the angry sword ball.

Peach is the most interesting character. She's just so eclectic and you can focus on so much with her. You can play with turnips the whole game, you can stay grounded, you can float the whole damn time. ***** be crazy, especially once your control of her becomes super tight.

Nicole

Smash Champion
no an mk ban will not help peach in the least, falco snake and marth are just as tricky and take more focus and patience imo.

but i still play her, i just haven't been to a tournament in forever. i have levelled her up quite a bit in my humble opinion, but i still have not enough patience. 2link has some new videos of mine but he hasnt been able to upload them just yet (but he will probably fairly soon).

but yes peach is dead, and these boards most certainly are unfortunately.

anyways i just went to a tournament this weekend and got 2nd but it wasnt a very big one.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
If I'm lucky, be able to take part of that pending Florida tournament later on or if all else fails wait until I transfer to Yokosuka, Japan and participate in their tournaments...

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Peach is easily high tier with a MK ban >_>

Well at least for me since every character feels even or advantaged to me except for Meta ******.

:052:

LanceStern

Smash Lord
This thread is too negative.

Nicole didn't you just get 2nd in a tournament this weekend?
Silly Kyle and Raz are doing work, as is Kyon, 2Link and KB is gone. But it's the same people playing Peach.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
There just hasn't been any tournaments for a bit where I am. I did just make our PR and I'm really gonna try to stay on it. If not go higher.
I'm far from gone XD

I saw the title of this thread in my subscribed forms and was like ****.

Do we need another Illmatic to spark something again?

Honestly imo the players that have been playing Peach are getting older and have things to do while new players just go to better characters.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I recently went to an MK banned tournament, but I had to fight a Falco and an Olimar, two MUs I'm much more comfortable fighting as ROB, so I didn't use her except game 1 against the Falco, and got wrecked. :/

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I can record some random videos of me using Peach if that'll make you feel better.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yes, yes it would.

Seriously, I need something to watch that isn't 20 matches of Darklink versus an increasingly tired Silly Kyle.

:phone:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this

Fact is that the people who used to play her are too busy IRL now to keep up/keep attending tourneys and there's no influx of people to replace those who go

This is probably to do with Peach as a character - her playstyle is so radically different to every other character and her learning curve is horribly steep. All of this combines to create a very off putting character to pick up imo, especially when you could easily just choose someone else and do as well, if not better

And at this stage in the metagame (because let's face it, Peach's and indeed Brawl's metagame looks like it's peaking or potentially peaked) why bother picking up a decent character when you could pick a top tier and stand a better chance of winning?

An MK ban in tourneys could go either way - on the one hand, it would bring in more Snakes, Falco's and Marths but on the other, it means that people can focus more on those match ups since everyone runs around focusing on and worrying about the MK match up. Plus, more Wario's might run about the place which would be a plus for her

As for these boards...well, I hate to say it but the place is nothing more than a chat room now. Certainly some 'interesting' conversations about the place but a chat room nonetheless
The people who post the most don't attend tourneys and the people who do attend tourneys don't post or post very little. It's always been a massive problem with this board - it should really be the opposite way round. Everything is either incomplete or out of date guidewise because people have lost all motivation to discuss these sorts of things and it doesn't help that there's a next to no Peach players to generate healthy discussion. It's just the same people saying the same things over and over again so there just isn't any point

Everything is horribly stagnant and it looks like it's going to stay that way unfortunately. I personally have really enjoyed visiting these boards and I still do enjoy visiting them but the way I see it, Peach and the Peach Boards are dead unless a new influx of super good Peach players suddenly burst upon the scene

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
wtf is this?

peach is not dead, kyle pulls in results, i've just been banned, and the social is f tier
go look up results/wins/videos, i don't post them anymore - not worth my time here

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
MK ban won't hurt Peach. That isn't to say that it'll help Peach but her other mus that most Peaches dislike (Snake, Marth, Falco) aren't even that hard. Those MUs def aren't hard enough to hinder her competitive potential. I kinda think ya'll are full of it in that regard.

Anyway, I've been playing still. Not as much but I still practice and attend stuff even though I'm doing 15 units and 20+ hrs work the last couple weeks.

As for videos, I have one new set, Illmatic has a couple 2-3 week old sets, Kyon has a good deal of stuff from August, so does Kyle. And this is just of what I know.

Peach isn't dead, if anything we're all doing a little better with her, it's just that the boards are stagnant but for good reason. No work ever gets done here, I do all my work with her trying stuff out when I randomly decide to smash.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this

Fact is that the people who used to play her are too busy IRL now to keep up/keep attending tourneys and there's no influx of people to replace those who go
(I've not heard publicly of any names, but I think there are certainly new players out there making a name)
This is probably to do with Peach as a character - her playstyle is so radically different to every other character and her learning curve is horribly steep. All of this combines to create a very off putting character to pick up imo, especially when you could easily just choose someone else and do as well, if not better
(Partial truth. Peach is a difficult character to pick-up without much easy rewards. Diddy is hard to pick-up, but learning his stuff provides much better situations than peach's.)
And at this stage in the metagame (because let's face it, Peach's and indeed Brawl's metagame looks like it's peaking or potentially peaked) why bother picking up a decent character when you could pick a top tier and stand a better chance of winning?
(People who actually like the character's mechanics)
An MK ban in tourneys could go either way - on the one hand, it would bring in more Snakes, Falco's and Marths but on the other, it means that people can focus more on those match ups since everyone runs around focusing on and worrying about the MK match up. Plus, more Wario's might run about the place which would be a plus for her
(I sort of agree that MK ban is a plus for many characters. Even if there are more of other characters, it's possible to learn it.)
As for these boards...well, I hate to say it but the place is nothing more than a chat room now. Certainly some 'interesting' conversations about the place but a chat room nonetheless
(That's everywhere in character boards. There honestly is never much to improve with characters as you said.)
The people who post the most don't attend tourneys and the people who do attend tourneys don't post or post very little. It's always been a massive problem with this board - it should really be the opposite way round. Everything is either incomplete or out of date guidewise because people have lost all motivation to discuss these sorts of things and it doesn't help that there's a next to no Peach players to generate healthy discussion. It's just the same people saying the same things over and over again so there just isn't any point
(Point above. What would you discuss? Old guides still work relatively well in a non-changing meta game. If you want to do much of anything, you need to get into some super serious theory discussion and go into super detailed specifics. For example, what way to DI common moves to place yourself in a better position. MK dthrows you, do you DI down and tech, or DI slightly away and up, or is it something to mix-up.)
Everything is horribly stagnant and it looks like it's going to stay that way unfortunately. I personally have really enjoyed visiting these boards and I still do enjoy visiting them but the way I see it, Peach and the Peach Boards are dead unless a new influx of super good Peach players suddenly burst upon the scene
Countering points on page 2 OP.

RaqTasmeneth

Smash Apprentice
There arent enough serious players on my boat-- so I guess I'll have to get in touch with my inner asian and find some local spots. Gotta get that Peach in the spotlight.

She aint dead, just a caged bird waiting to F**K S**T UP.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Oh my character boards...

Whenever I get another shot at offline tournaments I'll bring something in, though I sorta use ZSS now anyways.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Peach certainly isn't a super popular character for newcomers. However, I don't see her dying out completely. My state banned MK and a couple people just started playing Peach. (Possibly as a result of that) Either way, I think a MK ban is beneficial to her rather than not.

The thing that I believe hurts her the most is the BBR tier list. Newcomers tend to see the people at the top of the list, and everyone starts picking up people such as Marth, Snake, Falco, etc. Right when I was starting to go competitive, I was going to main Donkey Kong, but the tier list turned me into a Falco main. Now that my skills are more developed I'm still maining Falco since I really like him, but with the MK ban in my state I've considered other options such as Lucario. Peach doesn't really stand out on the tier list, and I believe this hurts her from a new players POV because they base a lot of their decisions off the tier list until they know better.

I think that competitive Smash has tons of potential to grow, and better organization might help with the influx of new players. If everyone coming in was a little better educated, it might help them to understand that the tier list is relative of player skill and they should play who they want to. If somebody would told me that day 1, I probably would have an amazing DK right now...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think you're overstating the effect of a tier list. Even without it, I'm not going to assume every new player is a moron who remains completely unaware of top characters when he'll likely play against and watch a whole ton of them at each tournament he visits. In addition, you chose to look at the tier list to influence your decision - if a newcomer asked an experienced tournament player who to start with, besides the "whoever you like best", I can almost certainly guarantee that the known top characters will be the first ones listed off, tier list or not.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Besides, Peach's upper mid position is actually very favorable. It means the character is still quite decent ("it seems Peach isn't bad at all, despite of what my friend states") , likely may be able to rise to high tier since the character is on the border anyway (Post #1 in the Tier List thread: "I think Peach has the potential to become high tier!"), and the character isn't overpowered or anything ("Meta Knight and Snake are so lame!").

There simply aren't that many newcomers, and newcomers mostly don't pick Peachy.

:053:

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to start going to tournaments, it's just not working out all too well right now. Peach players still pull in results. There just isn't as many I guess.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Chances are I will start to actually use Peach at tourneys. So far I have only used her in doubles and actually placed pretty well, but no one cares about Finland because we play in igloos and try to avoid polar bear attacks all the time.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Agree with many on the subject. The boards are dead, not the character. Newcomers either pick a higher tier character, a problem like many of the lower tiers.
I've been trying night and day to visit offline tourneys and get videos of me playing as her. Unfortunatley, I'm too young for a job or car. Just you wait 2 years, I'll be all over Texas with Peach.

On the matter MK gets banned, I believe this will be favorable for her. Actually, she does pretty well for the majority of the cast (lolwario). I wouldn't be surprised if that D Tier moves to the high placement regardless of MK.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Chances are I will start to actually use Peach at tourneys. So far I have only used her in doubles and actually placed pretty well, but no one cares about Finland because we play in igloos and try to avoid polar bear attacks all the time.

At least you can always ski to your tourneys and that saves a lot of money. I have go to by train in extremely rainy weather. It's a pain, especially since we wear wooden shoes here.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Read in the brawl character discussion "Peach is dead" and the poster was "Yaaay". Lol@Irony.

:018:

-LzR-

Smash Hero

At least you can always ski to your tourneys and that saves a lot of money. I have go to by train in extremely rainy weather. It's a pain, especially since we wear wooden shoes here.

No, we never ski. Just think what you would do if you were to bump into a polar bear...

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Haven't played Peach in over 2 months, and Marth is so fun to play. Her float and other things were fun and interesting to use; it definitely gave me a different perspective on the game's mechanics outside of the usual two or multi jumps that other characters have.

After playing her for over 3 years, however, I starting hitting my own peak with her and it wasn't even remotely good enough to bring in the kind of results that I feel I, as a player, can truly claim. Some of her elements, random attributes, lack of killpower in situations that I know my reads would have scored me kills with a different character, and high maintenance for little to average gain just started getting to me and that's when common sense finally took over.

I used to main Marth in Melee, and was otherwise a counterpick fiend if I wasn't already trying to flex my technical ability on someone with either space animal. I never even once thought of upholding some kind of pride-induced loyalty to just one character like I did in Brawl, and in retrospect...it was rather foolish and a waste of time/effort/money. I figured it was time to stop being the fly who continually knocks into a dirty window in an attempt to see the prize on the other side (Peach's alleged top potential/high reward), and just spray some Windex on that **** and wipe it down like any sane person would do...and I can already see so many more possibilities that couldn't previously be reached. Let me tell ya, it feels damn good too.

:phone:

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
tbh, i think the peach boards fell under this scrub mentality of having to use peach all the time and the best peach b.s didn't help either.

ppl can use whoever they want, it's just a game, fug it. all i know is that peach is a really good character but personally i don't feel like figuring out how to catch fox and toon link. it's really dumb and peach is rly slow. so yeah fox/ness/wario got this **** for me xD

Top Bottom