• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach is dead.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
how to catch ... toon link
Don't bother. Camp him out. Float around bombs and rang and arrows and **** and camp him out.

If the match doesn't go to time something is very, very wrong.

Seriously... I see too many Peach mains trying to force approaches and be aggressive. This isn't Melee. You can camp. And very, very effectively, too. Turnips are a damn good projectile.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i'm just sayin' i'd rather not do that when it's 10 times easier w/ any of my secondaries. i go into tournament w/ a rly good peach and about 4 characters in my pocket haha, 5 if you count me goin' mk on peaches.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
LOL I know what you mean. I have Dedede, a few secondaries, and then older characters I used to play serious (like Lucario and GaW). I play like 1/4 of the cast, lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Maining and focusing exclusively on a single character is dangerous. That character is liable to get banned. :V

In all seriousness, though, there are arguments on both sides of the thing - on the one hand, it's gonna take far more effort than necessary to use a single mid-tier throughout a tournament. On the other hand, you're probably not gonna show that character's "true potential" or whatever if you only use it for a certain subset of match-ups.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
That's the thing, maybe what we've been seeing throughout the past three years is this character's "true potential" and the player base only lasted as long as it did simply because the game was still young or we chose to be optimistic and not accept her limits for what they are. If anything, I believe the only "true potential" that can be hindered by soloing one character (below high tier, mind you) is the player's.

:phone:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
To be honest I also feel more confident with Peach and I improve more if I actually play her instead of ther characters.

Even though for me Peach is the most fun character I still like to switch to others since it keeps the game fresher. It's not Super Smash Peach Brawl and I would to try others as well. I'm now taking my Zelda and Pitto more sreiously even though I know I won't be using them, nor do I plan to so, nor do I even want to use them in tourney. I just needs some divertions in the game since I'm kinda losing interest... My Wii broke and there aren't many tourneys here. It's not very motivating.

:053:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
There are five or six characters I'd be willing to use in tournament so I can't really claim to know how you feel. : \

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Hehe well in every fighting game I play, I prefer sticking to one or two characters, take them seriously and have fun with them. Other characters (if I would be playing any other...) are just for fun.

I dont know, I like how I 'specialize' in one/two characters, and gain much control with them. It's more exciting for me.

:052:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I also have 3 years of experience with Puff and she is absolutely my best character. I take her very seriously, but never play her in tourneys since she sucks...
Though my mains went nuts since MK was banned so I finally got to use my Peach :)

Takumaru

Smash Lord
The game in general is stagnant. There's nothing new to discover, nothing new to see. Brawl just isn't a deep game and there isn't much to discuss. Why talk about something that has a working guide from two years ago?

Also people are growing up and moving on with their lives. There aren't as many tourneys as there used to be because the TOs are moving on and no one is filling the void.

You cannot keep updating guides forever. The basics for all characters are already well known and that's how it will stay. The only stuff to improve upon is how you play the game yourself.

If brawl has any problem, it's that it is very easy to get technically consistent at the game. When I compare it to melee, you could spend a couple years still trying to get consistent with the mechanics in that game. In brawl, you could have mastery over a character in an incredibly faster amount of time.

So after character tool exploration and consistency with the character, all that is left to do is improve your knowledge of the game and how you approach a human opponent.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
You cannot keep updating guides forever. The basics for all characters are already well known and that's how it will stay. The only stuff to improve upon is how you play the game yourself.

If brawl has any problem, it's that it is very easy to get technically consistent at the game. When I compare it to melee, you could spend a couple years still trying to get consistent with the mechanics in that game. In brawl, you could have mastery over a character in an incredibly faster amount of time.

So after character tool exploration and consistency with the character, all that is left to do is improve your knowledge of the game and how you approach a human opponent.
That depends on the character. To an extent, yes Brawl is easier to get technically consistent, but characters like ICs, Pit, Lucas, Snake, and Peach still have a ton of techs that can be improved upon. I don't know if all of Peaches make a significant difference though, I've been playing this character for 2 years now, and her lack of speed, air speed, grab and range limits her. Its very noticeable when I switch off from Pit & Peach when I play my friend's G&W. Peach is just slow even with all the glide-tossing/techs. She has trouble making quick approaches/attacks from a mid-range distance.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually have to agree with Yaaay.

wtf is Pit doing on that list.

Unless you're referring to arrow looping, which god I hope you're not.

Not really. She has the third best aerial acceleration in the game. She also doesn't lack range (wtf). Nothing personal but you're doing it very wrong.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244329

Walking speed
29. Peach (0.86)
Max 1.5
Least .70

Initial Dash
14. Peach (1.50)
Max 2.10
Least 1.00

Running Speed
31. Peach (1.35)
Max 3.5
Least 1.10

Acceleration Due to Gravity
32. Peach (0.06)
Max .17
Least .05

Normal Fall Terminal Velocity
38. Peach (1.05)
Max 1.95
Least .98

Fastfalling Terminal Velocity
38. Peach (1.47)
Max 2.73
Least 1.37

Base Aerial Mobility
3. Peach (0.10)
Max .30
Least .01
(2nd highest is .11)

I'd say peach is rather slow in terms of movement outside of her close combat game.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar

Not really. She has the third best aerial acceleration in the game. She also doesn't lack range (wtf). Nothing personal but you're doing it very wrong.

lol?

How can you tell if I'm doing it wrong if you've never seen me play? Also, her range is decent, but the longer ranged moves(fair, fsmash, side-b) take too long to perform upclose or the quicker moves like (jab, f-tilt) aren't beefy enough and don't really set up for her other moves, so whenever I'm trying to punish a really well spaced move, I end up having to rely on turnips(which miss too often upclose), and ftilt--but then the very furthest range of ftilt which isn't that strong sadly >_<

I actually have to agree with Yaaay.

wtf is Pit doing on that list.

Unless you're referring to arrow looping, which god I hope you're not.
I'm mainly talking about how he still has room to grow and his up-b tricks still have a lot of room for implementation. I just don't feel how we play him now has reached its limits. Also, the arrow looping still has some room to grow in too, although it's not as useful. I'm mainly thinking of setups, like arrow rain/multiple loops for when an opponent is sent high in the air, loop them and then set up for a KO move like bair/fsmash.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I go all Peach and I don't give a **** what anyone says!!! I'm a purist when it comes to using Peach in tournament. She's my best character by light years compared to my other characters. She is always getting better as I continue to compete.

What I've noticed is that getting results with Peach has mostly been an individual effort from the top Peach players (Illmatic, myself, Raz, Nicole, Kyon, etc.) with less talk on the forums about strategy and stuff like that.

I've made the most money this year from playing as Peach in Brawl than I ever have in the past. I think I've made about $800 (lol it's not that much but it feels good since Brawl is just a passionate hobby of mine) or something like that. I'll have to double check and get a final tally on that.

2011 has been a good year for Peach and I believe it's going to get better for her from this point on. Give me a few more months and we'll see how things begin to play out on the national level down the road. I might be going to Apex, so we'll see...

<3

:peach:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I'd say peach is rather slow in terms of movement outside of her close combat game.
How can you tell if I'm doing it wrong if you've never seen me play? Also, her range is decent, but the longer ranged moves(fair, fsmash, side-b) take too long to perform upclose or the quicker moves like (jab, f-tilt) aren't beefy enough and don't really set up for her other moves, so whenever I'm trying to punish a really well spaced move, I end up having to rely on turnips(which miss too often upclose), and ftilt--but then the very furthest range of ftilt which isn't that strong sadly >_<
As you can see, her base mobility (= simply acceleration) is 0.10 which is fast. Combine this with float and a good short hop and you have already have very good aerial mid-range approach. Short hop Bair (=fast), short hop Dair, floating Dair, floating Fair (= not fast, but you can shorthop/ flaot back and attack afterwards - standard but effective)... all of them are nearly always safe.

Furthermore... Jab sets up for enough moves and mix-ups, but jab2 is good enough anyway. Ftilt puts them above you... enough said. What about instant dash attack? Very fast and has a lot of range. Fsmash is more situationak and best used vs aerial opponents imo.

She has a looot of options and really doesn't lack any range, but granted coming up with the right option isn't always an easy task. I do not believe, however, that she a range problem of any kind.

How can you tell if I'm doing it wrong if you've never seen me play?
I'm judging that of your statements. Honestly I was actually only responding the part where you said that one of Peach's flaws was a lack of mid range approaches which I wholeheartedly disagree with. Although I must admit I also don't think her grab is bad but I can understand where this is coming from since her dash speed is so slow DX. She does have the fastest dash grab though (not by much) for some reason and her standing grab is still decent. She can also set-up grabs with her aerial on shield and grabs. She can compensate for her slow dash speed by just a little, although it still sucks ><

I'm mainly talking about how he still has room to grow and his up-b tricks still have a lot of room for implementation. I just don't feel how we play him now has reached its limits. Also, the arrow looping still has some room to grow in too, although it's not as useful. I'm mainly thinking of setups, like arrow rain/multiple loops for when an opponent is sent high in the air, loop them and then set up for a KO move like bair/fsmash.
Why do you Pits focus so much on arrow ****? That is not what makes him good at all in my opinion. When I watch Japanese Pits it seems they agree with me.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar

As you can see, her base mobility (= simply acceleration) is 0.10 which is fast. Combine this with float and a good short hop and you have already have very good aerial mid-range approach. Short hop Bair (=fast), short hop Dair, floating Dair, floating Fair (= not fast, but you can shorthop/ flaot back and attack afterwards - standard but effective)... all of them are nearly always safe.

Furthermore... Jab sets up for enough moves and mix-ups, but jab2 is good enough anyway. Ftilt puts them above you... enough said. What about instant dash attack? Very fast and has a lot of range. Fsmash is more situationak and best used vs aerial opponents imo.

She has a looot of options and really doesn't lack any range, but granted coming up with the right option isn't always an easy task. I do not believe, however, that she a range problem of any kind.

I'm judging that of your statements. Honestly I was actually only responding the part where you said that one of Peach's flaws was a lack of mid range approaches which I wholeheartedly disagree with. Although I must admit I also don't think her grab is bad but I can understand where this is coming from since her dash speed is so slow DX. She does have the fastest dash grab though (not by much) for some reason and her standing grab is still decent. She can also set-up grabs with her aerial on shield and grabs. She can compensate for her slow dash speed by just a little, although it still sucks ><

Why do you Pits focus so much on arrow ****? That is not what makes him good at all in my opinion. When I watch Japanese Pits it seems they agree with me.

What your talking about is close mid range like a Bowser away. I'm thinking more of 2 Bowsers away, and her punishes from that range are not that good, like she doesn't have a Snake dacus, MK tornado, or Falco side-b. Dash attack works sometimes but you can only hit w/ the very tip which does 4%.

Also, Pit's arrow loop is not a big thing to focus on @ ALL! I was just mentioning super theory craft possibilities lol--and the Japanese Pits are amazing because they know how to READ like crazy.

Nicole

Smash Champion
its hard to talk about strategies and stuff on the boards cause it's very specific from player to player and from peach to peach.

aka - one of my tricks is to jab and then pivot grab the shield/spotdodge. but that's not something worth DISCUSSING necessarily, that's just something i use ocassionally. plus that's not even peach specific lol, any char can do it.

and this goes for any character...what can you really talk about? things that work for you against your opponents may not work on everyone, and there are certain tricks that can only work once or twice a match. its just hard to think of things to discuss that aren't situational. if anything we should make a 'share a trick' thread where ppl post one of their tricks every day or so for the whole peach community to look at and try to work into their game. but besides matchups which we probably should continue discussing, i dont see anything else that we could really get into...besides random situational techniques which i've ALWAYS been against (as i'm sure you all know).

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
we have a share a trick thread. meno made it, i think it's actually called 'share a trick' but i'm too lazy to necro it.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
its hard to talk about strategies and stuff on the boards cause it's very specific from player to player and from peach to peach.

aka - one of my tricks is to jab and then pivot grab the shield/spotdodge. but that's not something worth DISCUSSING necessarily, that's just something i use ocassionally. plus that's not even peach specific lol, any char can do it.

and this goes for any character...what can you really talk about? things that work for you against your opponents may not work on everyone, and there are certain tricks that can only work once or twice a match. its just hard to think of things to discuss that aren't situational. if anything we should make a 'share a trick' thread where ppl post one of their tricks every day or so for the whole peach community to look at and try to work into their game. but besides matchups which we probably should continue discussing, i dont see anything else that we could really get into...besides random situational techniques which i've ALWAYS been against (as i'm sure you all know).
I agree with this, I have my own tricks with Peach just like everyone else. Because of this, I don't think we should be necessarily talking about what we should do as Peach, but just MU information, like Peach's nair beats Snake's up smash(I think? it might be her dair, I don't remember), or this move out prioritizes or out speeds this move. Just little things like that can help someone know what they need to do in each MU, and they can then use their own Peach knowledge to play the matches.

Also very general things like don't recklessly approach Falco, I think, would help people get a little more MU knowledge. It's pretty much impossible to tell people how to play Peach, though, since she has so many options in a lot of different situations.

I know the MU thread already goes over what I'm talking about, but it's pretty outdated, and a lot of the characters have very little MU info, imo. We might want to rediscuss MUs soon.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I don't think we should be necessarily talking about what we should do as Peach, but just MU information, like Peach's nair beats Snake's up smash(I think? it might be her dair, I don't remember)
Yeah Nair beats it. Bair does as well I believe, but that's risky for obv reasons lol

You know I miss that 'Did you know...?' thing that we had going a long time ago in the Tactical discussion. I learned some interesting tidbits from that.

Infact, damn I never noticed the tactical discussion thread went into the board graveyard. I'll take the liberty of bumping it for you guys.

:rosalina:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
LIES, try having a frame 12 jab with considerable cooldown and get back to me lol.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
2011 has been good for Peach, as I see from the tourney results thread. ♥

Top Bottom