• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
G&W vs MK would be alot worse if we couldnt counter nados

probably to the point where random MK player123 could beat us lol

Alphicans

Smash Hero
G&W vs MK would be alot worse if we couldnt counter nados

probably to the point where random MK player123 could beat us lol
Umm... Wtf? It's not like the upB counter is an extremely popular thing even now, so I don't see how this makes any sense. GaW's weight class and approach style does not make nado very useful anyways.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
what are you talking about..o.O

upB nado is the only reason why MK is so hesitant about nadoing G&W lol

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Nah. Gdubs is really light that if you DI correctly, you can get out and get a free d-air. Nado sucks against Gdubs.
He also has good air mobility that he usually is able to footstool it to avoid having to land into it.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Honestly it's important to be EXPECTING the Tornado when you're trying to punish it. It's not called the best zoning tool in the game for no reason.

I mean you can definitely punish it on reaction. It's just the Tornado is MUCH better at punishing than any other attack in the game. Most of the time I just feel like the Tornado only gives me trouble because I forget that I'm supposed to respect it.

After that, it's fairly simple to throw out something that you know beats it. All Smashes (D-smash is the most disjointed iirc), Dash Attack, Judgement, and whatever U-air/Up-B shenanigans you might have available. D-air beats it as well, but has to be directly from above.
Wait...dash attack really beats nado? I wish I knew that forever ago.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Heyo, sorry for the lack of responses. I'm going to be out of town for awhile, but I'd like to get some things up orfinished wherever I find a computer here!
So any contribution works out well! I know the Interview thread is pretty slow! Once I get home I can get them up. Or at least I hope so and not that it has the same questions from a week ago! Thanks guys!! Goo GnW~!

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Probably certain height and point of where dash attack hits tornado. I agree with it being pretty risky. I don't remember ever it happening for me. I know bair sometimes clashes with tornado which happens more often. But usually I like the whole upb/uair stuff. More likely and you can punish it.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Care to elaborate on that? Do they have to be at a certain height or something for it to hit?
You can space it wrong and then get sucked in, and for what? You woulda have knocked MK out of nado for like... 13 damage or something?

If you try to Up-B or Uair it you have better options if he is vulnerable, you can use nairs, Uair refresh your moves some, fair, or Wait for him to land into a smash attack.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
lol, if you're being hit by Tornado at all, or at least if it seems like you're going to get hit, it's EXTREMELY easy to DI out on the hit that pulls you in. Like, MK should only ever get like 3 damage off of Tornado.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
hello people, i am alphican's lover. Ive started to play brawl, and GaW is my main. SUP.

HAI TODAY!!! =D

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
^Not worth it most of the time, Low reward for high risk

Edit: or rather high risk for low reward
The Dash attack is totally safe against anything not named block or non-clanking moves. With the idea that if your opponent does a ground move or tangible projectile you cancel it out, or if they spotdodge they get hit, or if they roll the move is safe, or if the move actually ends without hitting your opponents shield you will recover before they can hit you out of ending lag.

And 11 damage is solid damage for a dash attack that puts them in a position that can be followed up with.

I'm assuming that you are REACTING to the Tornado when you're trying to punish it, so in this situation, it's fairly low risk and has decent reward. But if your spacing is spot on, go ahead and Smash him out of it for extra damage and a potential kill at like 65% lol.

Also please use more D-throw -> iDA. 17 damage off a throw (20 when you include a pummel) is very solid, and it works on every character even if they tech in place (Snake can U-tilt you before buffering D-smash works).

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Nah. Gdubs is really light that if you DI correctly, you can get out and get a free d-air. Nado sucks against Gdubs.
He also has good air mobility that he usually is able to footstool it to avoid having to land into it.
"so and so can be prevented by perfect DI" isnt a reason lol
besides,99.999999% of the times we don't expect nado so people can't react in time to DI properly,so dairing it is out of the question lol.

if you do Dair MK outa nado you either
got lucky
or he sucks at nadoing

The man speaks multiple truths.
no lol

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
I always liked the idea of upbing and uair. It tends to work...
I dair some times if I notice I'm up top which usually works, too. But Dash Attack and all that other jazz... I guess if I'm lucky bair clanks then there we go. And agree with Penta on saying when to expect Tornado. Surely there are times you maaay expect it. And like, if an MK is on the opposite side and you are on the other he may come towards you with a tornado but he'll probably just be baiting it. I don't think there's been a time where I thought, "Oh uh- tornado tiime. Gotta properly space my Dash Attaaack." And to be honest, sometimes I get tornado when I land back on stage so it's not like I can even prepare a Dash Attack. And if a Tornado comes my way it's not like I'm going to just straight out prepare for a properly spaced Dash Attack, I'm probably going to run and not get hit and/or upb. Which usually I can set up for dair sometimes. I mean, I never found Tornado to be an issue too too much unless they just spam it constantly... But once you punish it they'll probably stop.

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
lol, if you're being hit by Tornado at all, or at least if it seems like you're going to get hit, it's EXTREMELY easy to DI out on the hit that pulls you in. Like, MK should only ever get like 3 damage off of Tornado.
Can you describe how to DI out of that hit?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It all depends on how well you DI the first hit. There will be a few times you miss the DI I guess.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
We wouldn't have issues with the Tornado if we didn't have windboxes. I mean, it's really good that we do, as it allows us to capitalize on him using it, but that's icing on the cake (a lot of icing, mind you). rPSI was pretty accurate in his assessment imo. Penta, on the other hand... :(

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
We wouldn't have issues with the Tornado if we didn't have windboxes. I mean, it's really good that we do, as it allows us to capitalize on him using it, but that's icing on the cake (a lot of icing, mind you). rPSI was pretty accurate in his assessment imo. Penta, on the other hand... :(
won't happen again <,<
had a bad day ugh

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
The Dash attack is totally safe against anything not named block or non-clanking moves. With the idea that if your opponent does a ground move or tangible projectile you cancel it out, or if they spotdodge they get hit, or if they roll the move is safe, or if the move actually ends without hitting your opponents shield you will recover before they can hit you out of ending lag.

And 11 damage is solid damage for a dash attack that puts them in a position that can be followed up with.

I'm assuming that you are REACTING to the Tornado when you're trying to punish it, so in this situation, it's fairly low risk and has decent reward. But if your spacing is spot on, go ahead and Smash him out of it for extra damage and a potential kill at like 65% lol.

Also please use more D-throw -> iDA. 17 damage off a throw (20 when you include a pummel) is very solid, and it works on every character even if they tech in place (Snake can U-tilt you before buffering D-smash works).
I'm not denying dash attack is a solid move, I just don't see why you'd use it over Uair or more specifically up-b against Nado

Oh and guys Tell me that marth isn't a lost cause. 65:35 isn't THAT bad. I mean it's bad but it's not like 80-20 or something.

I know I gotta get him offstage but it seems so fruitless. I can't even kill him because I can never get that close. And I don't wanna use another character. Up-B outta shield on everything, dair doesn't work. Even dtilt failed me it blew my mind. You guys gave me really good Olimar advice now help me with Marth.

I don't wanna use MK, because my MK is so bad I honestly think i'd just become a tipper magnet if I used him

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Punishing the nado with upB itself is easy, but getting a move off is hard, especially on stages with platforms. I upB'd an MK's nado like 6 times in one match, and didn't get like any damage off him, maybe a weak fair. It really depends if you get interrupted or not I suppose, because if the upb goes off, you're going to have to dair down and quickly punish, and if there are platforms, the time to punish goes down considerably. With dash attack it's a guarantee, you have that % instantly, with a chance at more (nair). You really get more out of dash attack than upb if you think about it...

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I personally like DI'ing the first hit and D-airing him out of it @ 130+ for the kill. ;D

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Punishing the nado with upB itself is easy, but getting a move off is hard, especially on stages with platforms. I upB'd an MK's nado like 6 times in one match, and didn't get like any damage off him, maybe a weak fair. It really depends if you get interrupted or not I suppose, because if the upb goes off, you're going to have to dair down and quickly punish, and if there are platforms, the time to punish goes down considerably. With dash attack it's a guarantee, you have that % instantly, with a chance at more (nair). You really get more out of dash attack than upb if you think about it...
Good point, I guess I'll start dash attacking nados

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
But wouldn't using upB leave him in his helpless state to land damaging attacks on seem better and easier?

Or is it just me? Because usually when I get tornado I upb and I get to punish them for it. And I don't really frequently get tornado'd because of it.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
If you can consistently get it so your upB doesn't go through the full animation, then yeah it's amazing. That's pretty hard to do every time though.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
After maining Ness for two years, I have decided to main G&W now. Hello everyone.
I know the basics and stuff, but I'd like to learn G&W better. So I'll be here often trying to learn.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
After maining Ness for two years, I have decided to main G&W now. Hello everyone.
I know the basics and stuff, but I'd like to learn G&W better. So I'll be here often trying to learn.
Sadly, you're probably going to regret that decision like most other people.

Dajayman

Nah, I won't be regretting my decision I think. It took me time to finally realize I don't find Ness as natural to my playstyle as I do G&W.

Today and anyone else interested can look in the Ness general discussion thread for a more detailed version of why I quit Ness for G&W.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Nah, I won't be regretting my decision I think. It took me time to finally realize I don't find Ness as natural to my playstyle as I do G&W.

Today and anyone else interested can look in the Ness general discussion thread for a more detailed version of why I quit Ness for G&W.
):<

You better still visit NGD from time to time. Don't forget Ness is still a monster in doubles. :laugh:

From what you posted there though I agree with pretty much all of what you were saying. I played G&W for a while, I don't think you'll regret it...

Dajayman

Sorry Neon, it was a hard decision and even harder to tell all the Ness mains about it. But it's how I truely feel.

And of course I'll still visit the Ness boards. The Ness boards have always been the most welcoming of outside mains.

Ness will still be a secondary, I know the kid way too well to not use him anymore.
Also G&W is more beast at doubles than Ness. ;)

Top Bottom