• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Melancholy

Smash Ace
I had my best ever performance in a tournament 2 days ago. Came 13th out of... 25 I think? Doesn't seem that great but I was pretty happy. Lost in winners to Scabe, a link player, then beat a Snake/Wario player and a Marth main. Then I lost pretty badly to a diddy player, I need to work on the matchup.

We had a mid tier and low tier tounament going on at the same time, and playing other characters made me realise just how much I prefer G&W to the rest of the cast :p

Splice

Smash Hero
Sif Zac lost to Mr.Doom.
Ike vs GaW isnt 50/50. It's in our favour for sure, 60/40ish.
Did Zac play too aggressive "because it's an Ike" ?

Who was the Snake/Wario and the Marth Melancholy? Was the Diddy SD lol?
=P

I hear you MM'd Gopo... lol ='O
Got any VIDZzz?

Splice

Smash Hero
No, Ike v G&W is pretty close to even. 55:45?
I can see that if you play normally...
But you can camp him so bad! He's really only got Fair and Bair to approach with, and Jab and Grab. Grab is pretty easy to avoid, and is Fair imo.

Once you have the percent lead this MU is really not that bad for GaW. I know Ike can kill low and all but all you have to do is be careful and camp, and not try too hard for the kill. The hard part is patience. But if you are patient... :/

Still, Zac losing to Mr.Doom... unexpected, regardless of MU. Mr. Doom is good but Zaaaac :(
D'awww

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Nah, if you don't play gay, and instead play "normal" it's probably in his favor ever so slightly. If you play aggressive get ready to get *****, too. Playing gay is the real normal way to play this matchup.

but yeah I can definitely agree with the sentiment. Didn't think Zac would lose :(

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
if ike plays normally then its easily 60:40 our favor tho if he knows the MU,it is 50/50
he has to camp quite a bit.

ike can easily keep G&W away with fair spacing and be ready to jab so he wont be punished.
Plus he can kill G&W pretty early as we know. i used to main ike x_x and i've played a number of top ikes in rl so i really feel that G&W does not **** ike at all lol.

50:50
inb4a2zomg

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
just got photoshop,mah first sig haha xD

I'm really determined to get good at this xP
will be posting my progressions in the future =)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Madness, Ike loses to everyone except like Ganondorf and Zelda. How much he loses by against everyone else is debatable, but he doesn't have any other advantageous, or even neutral matchups except against horrible characters.

He loses to things that every character in the game can do (but on the other hand, the average player for this game is terrible and doesn't do a lot of these things which works out for Ike). Powershielding on reaction, timing grabs between Jab combos (easier to do on Ike's Jab due to it being a slower one between hits), projectile camping, this character really doesn't have much of anything going for him. He also can't juggle or edgeguard you unless your recovery is one of the worst in the game.

Adumbrodeus says that people should be consistently powershielding Samus's Z-air, a CLEARLY superior zoning and spacing, so what's keeping other people out of Ike's walls? If you're telling me that Samus doesn't have a viable Jab, tilts, and Up-B to wall people out and Ike does, I don't understand you at all.

G&W should win at least 6/4 against Ike. Not only does Ike really not have the tools to wall anyone good, G&W does an extremely good job of juggling Ike. Get in a single U-throw, and Ike should really never make it down safely.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly I don't know who to vote for, besides UTD as #1 and Vinnie as #2.

I just don't know anymore how anyone here plays, since none of us get up enough footage (besides Zac lol).

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
Honestly I don't know who to vote for, besides UTD as #1 and Vinnie as #2.

I just don't know anymore how anyone here plays, since none of us get up enough footage (besides Zac lol).
Me either honestly, which is why I'm not voting. Lol.

Talking about footage, I'm supposed to be uploading a crapload of new **** this weekend since I now got a Wii and recording equipment. ;P

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
just got photoshop,mah first sig haha xD

I'm really determined to get good at this xP
will be posting my progressions in the future =)
Awesome. I really like the background you incorporated with the light blue GnW

kaak

Smash Journeyman
So like..! I really want to make GnW more awesome some how! But I think we need to become tighter as a community.. the boards are kind of dead and well.. yeah.. ;..;v I really want to try and get this rolling! O: RIght, guys??
agree but i see no way at the momment to make game and watch better. Just focus on playing more smart

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
lol thanks splice for voting me in that top 5 thread.
i probably wouldn't even put myself in the top 5 since i'm in a not so great region till i move to the US in August. lol.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
I know it is just a nine, but i'm still famous! can't walk down the dang street anymore

izzy24

Smash Ace
Ok so recently i found out how big of a technique b and sideb reversal is important for a lot of characters. U see this mainly with snakes and specially shown in this vid for rob (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-QVc3pMoi8) however b/c of bucket's moment canceling, this works better with chief and judgment. Here are some things u can use this:

*As a way to avoid getting punish when u land, ppl will either look for u to key or any other arial and usually punish with a pivot grab, so this will get u out of their range (like the rob vid, and snake). For this judgment reversal is better since it finishes faster than chef.

*It can also b used to mindgames, u can start to dash, jump, and instead of doing an arial they r going to predict u can change ur momentum away from them (this one u have to decide wats better, chef will cover u close range and leave a bacon in the air, while judgment ends faster so u land w/o lag).

*easier way to hit opponents with both chef and judgment, since b and sideb reversal can also be done in the ground and as u run off platforms/stages it can be used as u retreat and a character is coming after u OR running past them and then turning around OR when ur on the platform. (same thing as before, chef will cover u close and with a bacon while it actually makes judgment MUCH easier to hit :) :) :)).

*And finally it can set up gimps off stage (works best in SM and BF b/c of their edges) and here's wat happens, u run off stage and the chef reversal, this will position a bacon piece RIGHT at the edge while u slide underneath the stage. then as a character does their upb (marth, mk, almost anyone) the bacon piece will interrupt their upb which then u can follow up with a punish (fair, upb stage spike)

lolololol well there it is, idk if i should have made a thread but watever, also im trying to perfect this as well so i dont have much to show but i know it works :)

One more thing too, when ur on the edge and ur trying to ledge hop neutral a and it gets shielded.....u can footstool their shield right as soon as the neutral a finishes and u wont be punished for it. PLUS u'll be back in the stage.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Ok so recently i found out how big of a technique b and sideb reversal is important for a lot of characters. U see this mainly with snakes and specially shown in this vid for rob (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-QVc3pMoi8) however b/c of bucket's moment canceling, this works better with chief and judgment. Here are some things u can use this:

*As a way to avoid getting punish when u land, ppl will either look for u to key or any other arial and usually punish with a pivot grab, so this will get u out of their range (like the rob vid, and snake). For this judgment reversal is better since it finishes faster than chef.

*It can also b used to mindgames, u can start to dash, jump, and instead of doing an arial they r going to predict u can change ur momentum away from them (this one u have to decide wats better, chef will cover u close range and leave a bacon in the air, while judgment ends faster so u land w/o lag).

*easier way to hit opponents with both chef and judgment, since b and sideb reversal can also be done in the ground and as u run off platforms/stages it can be used as u retreat and a character is coming after u OR running past them and then turning around OR when ur on the platform. (same thing as before, chef will cover u close and with a bacon while it actually makes judgment MUCH easier to hit :) :) :)).

*And finally it can set up gimps off stage (works best in SM and BF b/c of their edges) and here's wat happens, u run off stage and the chef reversal, this will position a bacon piece RIGHT at the edge while u slide underneath the stage. then as a character does their upb (marth, mk, almost anyone) the bacon piece will interrupt their upb which then u can follow up with a punish (fair, upb stage spike)

lolololol well there it is, idk if i should have made a thread but watever, also im trying to perfect this as well so i dont have much to show but i know it works :)

One more thing too, when ur on the edge and ur trying to ledge hop neutral a and it gets shielded.....u can footstool their shield right as soon as the neutral a finishes and u wont be punished for it. PLUS u'll be back in the stage.

lol ive been doing bacon reversals for a while now xD(not so much anymore tho)
i totally get you but it still has it's risks
although it isnt horrible,it's just not as useful as other characters reversals.
Though i can see where you're getting at where the first bold is. It can also be used for baiting impatient players xD,cuz you'll have abair ready to cover your back.

Anyway,good finds but Chef/judgement are overall his slowest attacks and doing em in the air randomly,can be a bit risky dontcha think? xD

also the last bold,yes although it is a great way to get back on stage,what if you miss the timing for the footstool?:(....ya..LOL
can't afford to make any mistakes as we all know xD

anyway,good stuff<3,i thought i was the only one that considered reversals lulz

izzy24

Smash Ace
on the footstool is when their on the stage and shielding ur nair from the ledge, that way u wont land next to them and get punished ur litterary on top of them and u can easily get the footstool. Im also not saying to pull it out every time lol, but in situations where u actually need them, like @ 1:12 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r23u4yA0jQ, the gaw would have escaped the grab if he did the reversal right before hitting the ground.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
on the footstool is when their on the stage and shielding ur nair from the ledge, that way u wont land next to them and get punished ur litterary on top of them and u can easily get the footstool. Im also not saying to pull it out every time lol, but in situations where u actually need them, like @ 1:12 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r23u4yA0jQ, the gaw would have escaped the grab if he did the reversal right before hitting the ground.
i use this **** sometimes, works fine ;)

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Question guys. I can't seem to find the stage thread. XP But I was wondering what are your guys opinion about Frigate? Do your guys like it? Is it good for GnW? And why?
I personally really dislike this stage..! But I was wondering if it had any good points.

Top Bottom