• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
So I MM M2K at whobo this weekend. It wasn't as hard as I expected. First game I was wrecking on him. Then after that he got angry and just camped me the remaining games. It was fairly close. I went 3-1 against him.

All in all I'd have to say I would not be afraid to play against M2K in bracket. He's easier to beat than other TX MK that know the G&W matchup so well from playing against me.
nicejob?lol:/
ya,alot of top MK's here don't really know the G&W MU either so im not surprised if i ever get close to beating em. Though once they learn the match up and camp him then it's pretty much get *****:ohwell:

vids of ur MM?

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
To be honest with you, I believe that the majority of G&W players has consistency issues and most aren't patient enough. I don't barely ever practice the game anymore yet I play completely differently than before.

I think that G&W has a good small hurtbox in general and good overall movement ability/speed. I've basically been playing in a very evasive/defensive manner with sudden offensive bursts. I mean, other than jab or n.air, G&W's moves either keep or send the opponent away. So why not do that? Of course, this can be matchup specific.

Still though, I don't think G&W can consistently win tournaments by himself. The common legal stages/rule sets don't favor him as much as they favor some other characters. But he has tricks and it's up to the player to switch it up to be less predictable. Being annoying with bacon, upB, and upair works too. ^_^
He does has some tricks to mix it up. But only some. Once people figure him out it's so much harder. Good news, not that many people know the matchup. Bad news, once we get out there and keep going eventually they would.
I think the same happened with Lou. He placed really well at Ohio tournaments. Ohio tournaments are really hard, mind you. We have players like Kel, OS, M2K, and the God Kais. So him placing up there is really good. Eventually players started beating him more. People probably figured it out. I haven't seen him much lately at all so I can't say much, but really once some figures out the matchup pretty well I think it'll be kind of hard.
No worries, I don't have an issue with GnW. I'll stick with him! And I want him to make it to the top and I'm insanely practicing for MLG, Airship, Showdown, and other nationals that are going on. But at the same time I guess I fear for him. :embarrass

@Izzy, I think the problem is finding ways to adapt when he has so many little things you can adapt to. once you adapt and got everything down pack where do you go from there?
Of course there's your own style and idea. But that is an issue. There are no new things. People have been discovering new things. But we're stuck to little old things. And once everyone figures out those little old things where do we go from there?

I'm not saying I'm dropping Game and Watch, of course not! I'll keep at it until he makes it to the top. It'll probably be a breeze at first since the lack of Game and Watch knowledge that other players don't have. But eventually it's going to be tough and more tough. But no worries!! We got thissss, guys!!

@Zac, Congratulations by the way! Glad it went well!

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
So I MM M2K at whobo this weekend. It wasn't as hard as I expected. First game I was wrecking on him. Then after that he got angry and just camped me the remaining games. It was fairly close. I went 3-1 against him.

All in all I'd have to say I would not be afraid to play against M2K in bracket. He's easier to beat than other TX MK that know the G&W matchup so well from playing against me.
vids or it didnt happen.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Hi guys, I'm pretty new in here, I love playing with G&W (he's on of my mains). I recently went to a Brawl tournament in my country during a anime-style event, but sadly I couldn't play as G&W because they had new Wiis with no saves...

I was so demoralised that I couldn't play properly at all. I managed to pass the first 2 rounds with snake (he was unlocked by the time the tournament started), but a dude with fox killed me on our last stock (I did not excpect and wasn't used to his short aerial lags). Did you guys even want into a let's say "casual-gamer-like" tournament where they didn't even had all the characters? It sounds kinda stupid, no..?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
well if you payed for it then **** should have all the characters lmao

if it was just for fun,then it doesn't really matter,just have fun o_o

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
well if you payed for it then **** should have all the characters lmao

if it was just for fun,then it doesn't really matter,just have fun o_o
Nintendo debug consoles for tournaments are a failure. I should have waited another tournament, I guess. We did have fun, but the prized we could win were games, so it was worth a little competition. When the tournament started with like only few chars, I was like :dizzy: => :chuckle:

I'll have another tournament the 10th. A paying one. I hope this time they will have all the chars. Prize for the first 3 winners. At least they put the rules to no items and with lives... *sigh*

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Hi guys, I'm pretty new in here, I love playing with G&W (he's on of my mains). I recently went to a Brawl tournament in my country during a anime-style event, but sadly I couldn't play as G&W because they had new Wiis with no saves...

I was so demoralised that I couldn't play properly at all. I managed to pass the first 2 rounds with snake (he was unlocked by the time the tournament started), but a dude with fox killed me on our last stock (I did not excpect and wasn't used to his short aerial lags). Did you guys even want into a let's say "casual-gamer-like" tournament where they didn't even had all the characters? It sounds kinda stupid, no..?
heres some suggestions:

Quit Brawl ----> Yes? ----> Play Melee
Quit Brawl ----> No? -----> Quit game and watch while you can and play snake or mk.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Probably. But with a chance to play on delfino or halberd first match, and getting to play on RC/brinstar/norfair as a CP, it makes gaw a much better character. If a good GaW goes to one of these I can see something good coming out of it. Can take on those diddys and marths with this stage list.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Man, guys, I had a fresh idea how to revolutionize the G&W metagame. It's called Taunting; basically what you do is press the dpad when the opponent isnt near you/coming back from a death. This makes them MAD, and leaves them open for ****.

You can supplement this technique by IRL taunting while you're playing. This way you get in their head and can go to town with no-brainer G&W.

Hop on it guys.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful

Oh dear! XD;
Yeah! I have actually! No GnW so I went Pit since I knew some things about him. It was forever ago. But where you at an anime con or something? It doesn't sound like an official tournament so you shouldn't let that bug you! XP It is too bad they didn't have all the characters but at least you got to play around? -Pat pat.- But next time maybe you can suggest that they should unlock all the characters first or bring in your own Wii.
So yeah! Just go to the official one and enjoy yourself! -nod nod.- Good luck!!

And don't forget Green Greens is also legal.

Edit: Mr. Escalator.. XD; Oh my..! Is it okay to make people angry..? D':

izzy24

Smash Ace
guys we should do a discussion topic for the MLG neutrals and stages to talk about how the benefit/hurt gaw cause honestly i havent played those stages that much.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
I think GnW is pretty well set for counterpicks. If they ban Rainbow Cruise we have Green Greens, and if not Green Greens Rainbow Cruise. Brinstar's legal? If so we have that and we also have Norfair.
Main two would be RC and Green Greens.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3

Lol this happened to me about 5 months ago.
Got 5/7th going MK and Zamus. Lolol.

Rajam

Smash Champion
I think GnW is pretty well set for counterpicks. If they ban Rainbow Cruise we have Green Greens, and if not Green Greens Rainbow Cruise. Brinstar's legal? If so we have that and we also have Norfair.
Main two would be RC and Green Greens.
Frigate is also a really good CP. I've been CPing most of my matches here with excellent results

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
Frigate is the best CP tbh. Lol.
I've been using it for quiet a while now.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Rajam, when did you pick up G&W? lol

Also, kewl, your avatar is easily the best out of all G&W avatars
? I've used G&W since Melee. I started playing competitively (= no items, no FFA) in October 2008 and G&W was already my main for that time

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Frigate is the best CP tbh. Lol.
I've been using it for quiet a while now.
Frigate might be the best CP if norfair isn't legal. In addition, my region has port town legal in singles, which makes the diddy/marth match-ups really close to even imo rofl.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
heres some suggestions:

Quit Brawl ----> Yes? ----> Play Melee
Quit Brawl ----> No? -----> Quit game and watch while you can and play snake or mk.
Well I realy DO prefer Melee over Brawl, but nobody wants to play with me, so I
switched to Brawl. I know Melee is much more fun to play then Brawl but meh...

Playing MK? Why starting cheating? :p

Oh dear! XD;
Yeah! I have actually! No GnW so I went Pit since I knew some things about him. It was forever ago. But where you at an anime con or something? It doesn't sound like an official tournament so you shouldn't let that bug you! XP It is too bad they didn't have all the characters but at least you got to play around? -Pat pat.- But next time maybe you can suggest that they should unlock all the characters first or bring in your own Wii.
So yeah! Just go to the official one and enjoy yourself! -nod nod.- Good luck!!

And don't forget Green Greens is also legal.

Edit: Mr. Escalator.. XD; Oh my..! Is it okay to make people angry..? D':
Well in Switzerland there's no ladder or rankings or anything official yet, but we do have small comunities who enjoy hosting tournaments, as well as anime-con-gamer-<insert and appropriate word here> groups. Well I asked if I could bring my Wii, and it was a big no. :S
Anyway, thanks for your kind comments, I'll do my best to have fun, and get a good level in switzerland. ^_^

Lol this happened to me about 5 months ago.
Got 5/7th going MK and Zamus. Lolol.
:O Samus. Gotta love pew pew moves.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Are you serious?! I grew up in Lausanne!!! J'me souviens bien du Paléo Festival de Nyon. Ah... Les souvenirs.

Top Bottom